350 Carrall Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2J3Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pidginyvr.com/
- Phone: 6046209400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Sunday: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Korean, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Makoto Ono
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Pidgin
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Pidgin - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Pidgin reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)special occasion (66)neighborhood gem (60)hot spot (58)romantic (35)good for groups (34)late-night find (29)vibrant bar scene (13)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic mealJohnVIPDined on 8/17/2014Two friends and I visited Vancouver this past weekend and decided to have one nice meal while there. We chose Pidgin, and we were completely blown away. Everything was delicious...the only thing that we didn't absolutely love was the briskit (which was a bit dry). The drinks, the food, the service, and the ambiance of the restaurant were just impeccable. Great attention to detail, and, all in all, a relatively affordable fine dining experience. Thanks to Jordan and the rest of the crew!Special Features:
- Great Asian fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Had the degustation menu on a Sunday night when BYO corkage is $1. Diverse range of dishes with highlights the Halibut and the meringue desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding4merChefDined on 8/14/2014The Prix Fixe menu was brilliant. A tasting menu, beautifully prepared and served with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014The food could be much better if it was not so salty. It was not just salty; in fact, I could taste the salt itself. We had the prix fixe menu. The best dishes were the fried chicken and oyster shooter. The wild boar was delicious and tender but too oily.
- Great foodRaulDined on 8/10/2014Menu items were very creative. Drinks were pricey, but excellent...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DannypliniofreireDined on 8/8/2014Great Asian fuzion restaurant! Very good service and menu! The Foie Gras was my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie HeavenmetchefDined on 8/8/2014Once again we were wowed by the food at Pidgin! Having some personal favourites like the mushrooms/peas and of course the best duck ever, we were delighted with the new special additions this evening of duck wings and halibut ceviche that were outstanding. Service top notch as always. We will be back again and again. Thank you Pidgin!Special Features:
- vdubbDined on 8/7/2014Went here with a couple of girlfriends; food was alright - kinda lacks creativity and "unique-ness". The potato dish was really salty. But either than the food, the service was amazing - love the servers here, and the drinks were good. I really enjoyed the mushrooms, sugar snap peas, egg, soy yuzu brown butter dish, and the oysters shots.Special Features:
- Great food!WannabefoodieDined on 8/7/2014Food was amazing! Our server was great and was so knowledgable about the food and restaurant history. The oyster shots and pickle are delicious. Make sure to order those!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014Food was amazing! One of the best meals I've had. Still on of the best restaurants in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014It was pretty good. Not as great as other reviews made it out to beSpecial Features:
- Great Japanese and French fusionTak112030Dined on 7/19/2014PiDGiN is one of the best restaurant in Vancouver for special occasion. I took my wife for her birthday. Foie gras rice bowl was, out of all the dishes we ordered, the best dish. A server was very friendly and knew exactly what we needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wowzer!mikeishotDined on 7/12/2014Pidgin never fails to impress. From the oyster shooter, of which I can never get enough (had 2 for appies and another one for dessert), to the new pepper appetizer (OMG that was good), to the standbys of grilled octopus and halibut, the dinner was superb. The drinks were also totally creative and beautifully prepared - we took our server's suggestions and were never disappointed (between the 2 of us we had 4 different concoctions). Service was relaxed, friendly and efficient, but never rushed. Overall, always a treat to come here. Recommended for locals to enjoy. Probably not for the cruise ship crowd.Special Features:
- FantasticserviceDined on 7/10/2014We were sat at the chefs table and from the moment we sat down we were very well taken care of. The chef explain every dish that came around on the lazy Susan in full detail. The kitchen and wait staff were very helpful in recommending dishes. I can't recommend just one dish as all were fantastic!! Halibut tartare, mushroom & snap peas, smoked salmon, gnocchi, oh and the duck mmmmmmmm!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Lovely tapas and very interesting drinks make for an enjoyable evening !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestinginvancDined on 7/5/2014The food was very good, not excellent. Care was done in its presentation, so visually it looked elegant. More care should have been focused on the food itself. Both lamb and pork dishes wer too fatty even for the "belly" cuts. The dessert did partially make up for the weaknesses in the main courses. Principal complaint - the awarkedness of the tables. We were three. Two of us were seated on a the same bench (fortuneately with a back - not all did) but the table was round which meant I had to reach a long distance to reach my plate even with bending forward! Luckily nothing slipped of my fork onto my lap. Furthermore, the tables were too close together. I was bumping against the diner seated next to me at the next (round) table.Special Features:
- Lovely date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014I left Pidgin feeling extremely full and happy. The food was very creative and well executed. The flavors were wall balanced on every dish. Our server was a kind gentleman and was very helpful even though we were indecisive. I would definitely go again. I wanted to try everything! I highly recommend the miso and gorgonzola crusted beef brisket with beets and freshly shaved horseradish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pidgin never disappointsthatmjsVIPDined on 6/30/2014Inventive dishes. Fabulous drinks. Friendly, efficient service. Pidgin never fails to impress and my most recent visit was no exception.Special Features:
- SolidOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Service was great. From the server to the various people who served and presented the food. Excellent detail of the dish. Little details were met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dripping with attitude1234VIPDined on 6/27/2014The food is good, but Pidgin suffers from the worst kind of self-congratulatory narcissistic pretentious posturing. Since Pidgin seems to feel they are too good for their customers, the public should oblige them by staying away. Then they can revel in the glory of their own self-importance without the burden of anything so mundane as providing service to patrons.
- Amazing Food Drinks and ServiceWendyDined on 6/26/2014We stumbled on this restaurant walking back to our hotel and the design elements were so appealing and out of place for the neighborhood that I was drawn to look at the menu in the window. The restaurant is both beautiful and extremely comfortable and relaxed. The food is both finicky and approachable. Finicky in that there is amazing attention to detail and flavor profiles. Approachable in that the plates are not overly artistic. It looks beautiful, but it still looks like food. We had oyster shooters, duck wings, mushrooms with peas and browned yuzu butter (the egg on this dish is put of control good), halibut with cauliflower and rice bowl with pork belly. For dessert yuzu curd with meringue. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, impeccable diningSimEDined on 6/25/2014The service is extremely well organized, and the food was extraordinary. Put together with a niche wine list that paired harmoniously with the food and ambience and you've got your date night/romantic/getaway that will always be remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie604Dined on 6/24/2014Food was amazing. However, wasn't thrilled with the service. Not very friendly and invitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great value and service!luv2dine8Dined on 6/21/2014We chose Pidgin as one of our few dinners while visiting Vancouver and it was great! The prix fixe menu was such a good value and let us try a bunch of stuff on the menu, which was great since everything sounded so interesting. They even let us switch out one of the dishes in the prix fixe for a different one which we were more interested in. Service was very friendly, helpful and energetic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieBeeDined on 6/21/2014I really liked the interior of the restaurant. It wasn't fussy, but still looked polished and upscale. The service was great and definitely meant to be shared. I was there with a date, but I think it would be better with 3-4 people (not that it was bad with the two of us!). That way you can sample more of the dishes. It isn't too loud inside, so it's easy to have a conversation and relax. I've already recommended Pidgin to a friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and inspirational!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Great execution on interesting and insightful food and flavour pairings! Beautiful presentation and friendly staff. A great dining experience filled with a few eye opening dishes as well as wholesome food at a very reasonable price! Thank you pidginSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYOBBYOBFANDined on 6/13/2014Corkage charge if you bring your own bottle Tuesday through Saturday was $30. I would come again but only on a Sunday or Monday night when the corkage is $1.00.Special Features:
- Great food, so/so serviceKauKaureviewDined on 6/12/2014The food at Pidgin was creative, delicious and well presented. Oyster shooters and the mushroom dish were the highlights for us as well as the duck. The service left a lot to be desired. Our server was attentive.... but a bit too attentive, he interupted us on numerious occasions while we were in conversation, he described all but two dishes on the menu ( I would have preferred just a few favourites) and he was a bit pushy about trying to get us to order more. The food and setting made up for it but if we had had a more subtle server the entire evening would have been much more memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTejoiDined on 6/12/2014Well prepared and creative food that would draw me back. I didn't care as much for the service which was a little too intrusive, although friendly. I came to enjoy a good meal with my wife. It does seem to be a certain style of relating to guests that is part of this restaurant's approach since I observed the other server near us taking the same approach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beyond amazingfoodfanDined on 6/11/2014the service, the cocktails, the food was beyond the beyond, a treat in every single bite..oh my, it will stay with us.Special Features:
- flawless mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014Excellent cocktails - a good way to start. Our group chose the prix fixe menu without really studying it - this added an element of surprise. Every course gave us the sense of a wholly new food experience and delighted us with its flavours. All presented with great care but zero attitude. So good and so Vancouver--at its best.Special Features:
- sorlowDined on 6/7/2014Most dishes were a hit! The Halibut was the best I'd had in years. The Meringue Dessert was awesome. Some dishes were a miss. perhaps that's just me with accustomed to Asian palettes. But I really enjoyed my meal! Sake and cocktail was ridiculously overpriced though. beware of that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!EnelsonDined on 6/5/20144 of us enjoyed our experience at Pidgin. We shared each plate, giving us a wonderful variety. It's hard to go over everything, but a few highlights: oyster in a spicy salsa with an ice. Absolutely wonderful, creative and delicious. The scallops were so fresh, the halibut wonderful. Both perfectly prepared and presented. There was a ruttabagga salad and potatoes with roe. These we're tossed at the table. We finished with the duck, again it came to the table. In the exact pink flesh that one hopes for. We're savory go all of it still! Service was professional, but fun. The restaurant is noisy, but most are. This was an A+.
- Great date night at Pidginfoodie628Dined on 5/31/2014Celebrated our anniversary here and it was a perfect spot to do so. Fabulous food meant to be shared, and the service was excellent. Some really fun cocktails on the menu as well. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotSpaceyVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food presentation was great. They had lots of healthy options for my vegetarian friend. Fresh. I don't think I would crave there food but it was very good. Would like to go back and try more dishes!
- Hidden GemHollyeliseDined on 5/29/2014Definitely hit the mark for Asian Fusion. Started with cocktails that were simple enough, but delicious. I highly recommend the "old school Negroni". We tried the Prix Fixe to get a good mix of a few things and it was totally worth it. The flavors are exciting and very complimentary. Some highlights were the oyster shot, seasoned mushrooms and the duck. Delicious. Service was also spot on. We were never left needing anything but never felt too bombarded or interrupted. Overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded all Expectations!MissBojanglesDined on 5/26/2014I had a friend visiting from out of town and wanted to show her a really unique Vancouver dining experience. So, we went to PiDGiN. We were a bit overwhelmed by all the great looking items on the menu, but then the waiter suggested the fixed price menu which was such a great idea! We got to sample all the best items and as my friend wasn't a huge seafood fan, they tailored the menu to be "meat heavy". This ultimately led to the meat sweats, but we were more than happy to just sit and sip tasty cocktails with very full bellies. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2014Absolutely delicious. Starter cocktails were unique, flavourful and creative. The food was exactly what I was expecting in the best possible way. I think we ordered one of everything on the menu. Every dish that arrived was beautiful and filled with layers of unexpected flavours. One of our friends has special food requirements which were handled seamlessly. The ambience was absolutely lovely. The design is clean and concise and the millwork was thoughtful and really elevated the space to provide a harmonius experience of quality and creativity. The boys complained a bit that the benches were a bit firm on the back-side but that's of minor consquence in light of the rest of the experience.Special Features:
- AnniversaryanniversaydinnerDined on 5/24/2014Made booking on Open Table and in the notes made the comment of a 10 yr anniversay and also Mentioned to the host... Not done at the restaurant... Sour taste.Special Features:
- Excellent dishesdinenwineDined on 5/23/2014We had the Tasting Menu which was $55 per person. This included 7 courses of fabulous food...every dish was delectable. I highly recommend this as a great way to try a variety of dishes you might not choose on your own. Can't wait to go back.Special Features: