350 Carrall Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2J3Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pidginyvr.com/
- Phone: (604) 620-9400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Sunday: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Korean, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Makoto Ono
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Pidgin
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Pidgin - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Pidgin reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)neighborhood gem (55)hot spot (52)special occasion (50)good for groups (37)romantic (29)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (20)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Drinks 5 Food 2OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014Come here for drinks. The food is adventurous but doesn't work perfectly... some dishes need more salt, others are too simple, others luke warm from sous-vide... but the drinks are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the foodFraserDined on 11/15/2014We went for a celebration and while initially disappointed that table we were shown to was shared, this didn't hinder our appreciation of Pidgin, the service, ambiance or the food. We opted for the set menu, which some may find steep at $55.00, but considering the quantity and quality of the food, it's not. Everything we tasted was sensational, from the halibut to the duck, the braised beef to the kale salad (again, please!), it was all fab. Oyster shots, mushroom dish with soft boiled egg, chocolate semifreddo, rice cakes... fab. If I have any criticism, it's of the the wine list, limited, and the music, but that's a personal issue. I just don't see how loud music enhances fine dining. Pidgin's a winner. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEWBIESBonehagsDined on 11/15/2014The food was delicious & well-presented. The menu is unique and has nicely adventurous choices. The service is excellent and attentive, but not overly so. The drink selection was inventive with creative combinations of ingredients that encourage one to rethink what a dinner drink could/should be. We enjoyed ourselves very much and would recommend Pidgin to others as long as they are prepared for prices that are a wee bit much. That being said, I am sure that we will return for another creative dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerinzanaduDined on 11/14/2014Our experience at Pidgen was outstanding. The food was over the top , the service impeccable. We had the tasting menu and every dish was stellar. Wish i lived n vancouver to go again.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodMusttrypidginDined on 11/12/2014The prix fixe menu is a must try! I was extremely hesitant to try the prix fixe menu, especially the oyster shot-apple-horseradish but it was such a pleasant surprise! Each dish just got better and better. The portion were actually very filling. In fact, my partner and I had to pack the duck home because we were too full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPidginawesomeDined on 11/10/2014Easily the best restaurant in vancouver..hands down..great food..great drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experiencefsgeekDined on 11/8/2014We did the chef's choice and they just sent out dish after dish... The food was fresh and delicious and the service was warm and personable. We dine out quite often in Vancouver and this is definitely a real gem. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique JapaneseJimisurfDined on 11/7/2014Excellent execution of both classic and modern Japanese cuisine. The prix fix option was excellent value. Very good and personal service. Interior was a little less upscale than I expected especially the paper napkins. A food first place. All good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding placeImpressedDined on 11/2/2014I took my boyfriend's family for a congratulatory dinner based on the reviews I've had from other people who have been here. Initially I was a bit apprehensive about taking them here as I knew it was based on small plates for sharing, and they were used to having their own separate courses and meals...but fortunately they LOVED it! We opted for the prix fixe option (which I totally recommend if you can't decide since you more or less have everything on the menu). Each small dish was amazing and it only made us look forward to the next dish after that. Service was also great--very attentive and we were well-looked after....and wonderful wine list! Great place...will definitely come here again for special dinners.Special Features:
- Japanese French fusionSomegoodwhaDined on 10/31/2014Intriguing menu selection. We had the Prix Fix which was excellent as were the wines they recommended. We will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeRicardoVIPDined on 10/26/2014Phenomenal food and service. Only issue is sketchy neighborhood. As long as you taco in/out you're fine. Anyway, excellent experience. If I go back to Vancouver, I'll go back here. 100x better than XiShi which I went to the night before...Special Features:
- Unique dining experience.Opera4threeDined on 10/24/2014The menu is quite small, and although not all items are for the faint of heart, there are items that should satisfy everyone. Flavours are varied, presentation is beautiful and the single dessert is divine. I would like to go back again and try their prix fixe dinner with many courses. Attentive, understated service.helps me stop mourning the loss of Wild Rice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodwinecountrywayfarerDined on 10/21/2014A recent return visit to this little restaurant gem lived up to the near-mythic recollection of my first encounter. Our very amusing but still very professional server made excellent suggestions, both for the food menu and the memorable cocktails. Three diners shared two tasting menus, with occasional supplementary additions; standouts included the salmon (cured, not smoked); the super-light roasted halibut; the fantastic mushroom/snap peas with cold tea-smoked egg. An early weeknight meant fewer diners, ergo lower noise levels; but the atmosphere still one of food lovers intensely enjoying their dining experience. Minor quibble: early dishes arrived when cocktails were still plentiful, and I prefer wine with dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent!DeliciousDined on 10/20/2014Our 2nd time to Pidgin. Both times were amazing. Service is excellent, food is out of this world creative and delicious. Really loved the flight of sake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Love Dining HerednceprtyDined on 10/8/2014My boyfriend and I came here for our five year anniversary and it was perfect! Great service as always, great food and a really killer cocktail! The environment is sleek, but very comfortable, overall a really nice place to enjoy an exquisite meal. We've been here before, and will continue to keep visiting. Thanks for a great night out!Special Features:
- reviewwaverDined on 10/8/2014Went with a group of friends. Cocktail drinks were pretty good. Food was okay. Scallop was nothing special. Chicken wings were only okay. the Veal + tuna is quite tasty tho. Didn't enjoy the rice bowls. Pork belly one was very greasy (and I eat a lot of fatty food!). and the foie gras bowl was really just meeeeh. and the food took forever to come out. between our appetizers and our main dishes we must have waited for over 45 mins.
- foodloverVIPDined on 10/6/2014Great, friendly and personal service! Everyone loved the amazing oyster shot, pork belly that melts in your mouth and the very tender tasty beef brisket. My sister and my friend were celebrating their birthdays, they were suprised by a delicious meringue dessert with candles. We had an amazing night. I highly recommend Pidgin for foodies, you will not get disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014This was second visit to Pidgin, and again, the service was very attentive and the food amazing. Another great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly Good Value!HungryCaterpillarDined on 10/3/2014We had the prix fixe menu at $55 and I was surprised by how much food there was. The quality of the food was high so I felt like I got my money's worth. The cocktails were good too. The only downside was that later on in the evening it got noisy and it was hard to have a conversation without feeling like you were yelling. I suppose if you went earlier in the evening you wouldn't have that problem.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu A MustCaribriceDined on 9/28/2014When you go to Pidgin for the first time you must have the chef's Tasting Menu. It gives a good range of the chef's excellent abilities. But be warned don't fill up on the wonderful sweet/sour pickles which come at the start as the last three entree's are filling! We were so full by the time the confit/crispy Peking duck came at the end we had to do a doggy bag! The service was quite good and the ambiance moderate energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!ChelaDined on 9/26/2014The lighting and music was very balanced, not over powering. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful. The food was amazing to say the least. We ordered the tasting platter, a very good choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, confusing ambiance.Cognaclover9Dined on 9/24/2014Food and presentation is spot on. Great selection of wine from boutique vineyards (e.g. Nicol). Lovely cocktails. My gin martini with an anchovie and olive was perfection. I am, however, slightly confused by the decor and ambiance. The food suggests fine dining but the interior suggests casual dining. I lament at the booth style tables in the bar section of the restaurant but note that there are some proper tables opposite the bar. Because of this I am not sure I would consider this a "romantic" restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie's must go toFoodieVIPDined on 9/21/2014Every plate is an art in terms of presentation, food chemistry & originality. Even the non- alcoholic cocktails are beautifully crafted & balanced. Prices are not inexpensive , but reasonable considering the effort in creating each dish. Will definitely return to try other items on the menu. The interior decor is simple & elegant, just like its food prepared. The wall with magnet is a fantastic idea for its clipboard menu.Special Features:
- Great restaurant with great food!!kmhsDined on 9/21/2014Service was super with friendly staff. Liked how the menu was described; presentation of the variety in the dishes was great. Different drink menu as well. Thumbs up overall!!Special Features:
- RTseVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food is fantastic. The 8 course prix-fixe menu is an incredible deal at $55. The oyster shot, raw scallops, brown butter mushrooms, pan-roasted halibut, half duck, and dessert (meringue, yuzu curd, vanilla cream, coconut) were the best dishes in the prix-fixe menu. The other 2 dishes in the pre-fixe menu, cured sockeye salmon and daily pickles, were good, but not as amazing as the other 6 dishes. I highly recommend Pidgin.Special Features:
- Great menu optionsconnieDined on 9/20/2014We opted for the prix fixe menu as per our server's suggestion. Sharing the eight courses gave us a good variety of flavours and was satisfyingly filling. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable and set the tone for a fun evening. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good ServiceFoodie2400VIPDined on 9/19/2014Love small plate restaurants. Chicken wings, mushrooms were memorable. Service was the best. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I recently returned to PiDGiN after visiting early last year, this time with a group of friends. They did not disappoint! From the design of the space to the friendliness of the staff, we felt welcome before even making it to our table. We chose to share plates from the main menu and enjoyed everything we selected. The chicken wings proved to be a ballsy choice, good enough to order twice. Other highlights include the yuzu butter mushrooms, lamb belly, gnocchi, and melt-in-your-mouth beef brisket. On top of that, the cocktail menu was divine. The sazerac is easily the best I have ever had!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlahFinickyDined on 9/13/2014Pretty mediocre for the price. It wasn't bad but I expected a lot more considering the hype and reviews. The server was kind but unattentive after the food was served. I enjoyed the oyster shooters and the mushrooms were very flavourful, however everything else was okay at best. While the halibut was nice and crispy on the outside, it ended up slightly overcooked and dry. The main dish was the half duck, and the spices and sides did not go well with the meat at all. It was my least favourite dish of all. While it wasn't a bad meal at all, I had high expectations and I don't think Pidgin met them.
- Exceptional experiencestonefireDined on 9/11/2014Great ambiance..unusual menu..Waiter made a suggested addition to our order which added to our experience..The owner stopped by and we fond much in common....in growing up in Windsor Ontario & other topics..The food preps were very good..The area is slowly gentrifying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOINKDined on 9/4/2014It was awesome! The service was excellent. Their oyster shots were to die for. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still solidAdvfoodieDined on 9/4/2014It's been a year since they first opened, and the hype has died down, but the food and service were still solid.Special Features:
- All around great experiencesparooVIPDined on 9/1/2014A few nights ago I had a chance to visit Pidgin...it was everything I had heard and then some! I decided to have the tasting menu. It was perfect. I am not going to ruin what's on the menu, but I will share that I did not leave hungry and the food was so tasty and delicious. Everything was so well put together...when I was done with one dish and another one came out, I didn't know how the chef could top ot...but the team at Pidgin did. The environment and ambience was great for a night out and Nelson, our server, was incredibly informed and helpful. Thanks for enhancing my time in Vancouver! Looking forward to seeing you again on my next visit back.Special Features:
- The Prix Fix Menu to StellarCLIGDined on 9/1/2014We found this restaurant on Open Table and are so glad that we did. Based upon reviews, we did the prix fix menu. It was delicious. The cocktails (in particular the Mary Ellen) was also fantastic. Would highly recommend to anyone who wants a great meal.Special Features:
- Double Birthday CelebrationAvioGastownDined on 8/28/2014My most recent visit was on the occasion of my out of town sister's and my birthday. As a foodie from Toronto I knew Pidgin would not disappoint. We thoroughly enjoyed the prix fixe menu with a crisp dry sake. The ceviche and halibut were outstanding and we were disappointed that we were not able to finish the very ample dish of duck done 3 ways. We were treated to a lovely birthday dessert reminiscent of a giant macaroon. Our server was very knowledgeable and gracious and her approaches were impeccably timed. Our early reservation meant that we were able to enjoy the restaurant before the more boisterous crowd arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnermssyrupDined on 8/25/2014Had dinner with my boyfriend on our 3rd year anniversary. This spot had great ambience and amazing food. We cleaned every dish. The peach tart with jasmine infused cream was our favourite. Food came out a tiny bit slow, but we werent in a rush so didnt mind chatting and waiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DJwinstonDined on 8/23/2014Incredible food...had the prix fix menu - a great option. Oyster shots were to die for, fabulous duck and halibut. Food that is art!! Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We were pleasantly surprised to get a table at the last minute on a a Friday night. Incredible food, excellent service. The raw scallops, oyster shooters, mushrooms, halibut were outstanding. Dessert was delicious but the pastry was kind of tough. Only disappointment was we would have liked a coffee at the end of the meal, but they don't serve hot beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food marred by service and noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014While the food was quite good, the service was very poor and the room was headache-inducingly loud. There were not enough servers, and we had to flag them down anytime we needed anything (a round of drinks never came because the server could not get back to our table). I had taken out people I was trying to impress (as I had heard it has become a hot spot) and I ended up feeling a little humiliated because the service was so poor. The main reason I will not go back, however, is the noise. It was ear-splitting - there doesn't seem to be anything in the room to buffer the sound. I'm only 40, I like a really energetic room - but this was over the top loud. Too bad, because the food was pretty good.Special Features:
- Fantastic mealJohnVIPDined on 8/17/2014Two friends and I visited Vancouver this past weekend and decided to have one nice meal while there. We chose Pidgin, and we were completely blown away. Everything was delicious...the only thing that we didn't absolutely love was the briskit (which was a bit dry). The drinks, the food, the service, and the ambiance of the restaurant were just impeccable. Great attention to detail, and, all in all, a relatively affordable fine dining experience. Thanks to Jordan and the rest of the crew!Special Features: