35 West 64th St.
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.picholinenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 724-8585
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday - 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday - Closed
* Thanksgiving Day - 12:30pm - 8:30pm
* Christmas Eve - 5:00pm - 9:00pm
* New Year's Eve - 4:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Terrance Brennan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Central Park West and Broadway
- Public Transit: 1 train to 66th Street / Lincoln Center; A, C, B, D train to 59th Street / Columbus Circle; M7,104,20,66 to 66h Street / Lincoln Center; M10 to 63rd Street and Central Park West.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Icon Park Fast: entrances on West 63rd & West 64th Street(s) between Broadway & Central Park West.
A word from Picholine
Picholine offers contemporary French-Mediterranean cuisine in both it's elegant dining rooms and casual, no reservation cheese and wine bar. Perhaps best known for introducing the European cheese cart to discerning American diners, Chef Brennan also specializes in Wild Game and innovative contemporary Mediterranean dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Picholine - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Square ›
Picholine reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)fit for foodies (80)romantic (65)notable wine list (50)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- theatergoerDined on 11/21/2014Every single thing that came out was phenomenal! Service was spectacular without being pretentious in any way. We will definitely return again, and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wonderful meal.NickDined on 11/21/2014This is a perfect place for a special evening. The food is outstanding and the service is great. Would highly recommend the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableMaryAnnVIPDined on 11/15/2014Everything about our experience at Picholine was fantastic. The food was very tasty, service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SCOHDined on 11/15/2014Beautiful restaurant, friendly excellent service, but food mediocre and weird at best.
- Great service and delicious food. Can't go wrong.StefDined on 11/14/2014We typically come for our anniversary and the service and food are both top-notch. We eat at a lot of fine dining establishments in the city but always come back to picholine. We've never had a bad meal here. The little surprises served between each course are always interesting and delicious and the cheese selections are always amazing. The staff make you feel welcomed and appreciated. What's not to love? We recommend it to friends all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A one and doneHappyfoxxDined on 11/14/2014My girlfriend had dinner here before a 7;30 show. We arrived at six and the staff's attention to not only making sure we made our show on time but throughout the different courses of our meal was perfect. We never had the feeling we were being rushed. The wine list was extensive and expensive as you could not find many wines between one and two hundred dollars. The appetizers that we had were, the sea urchin panna catta which was unbelievable and a must have but the white truffles were not as spectacular as I had imagined. Dinner was very good, plated with care. The chef certainly thought this one out because everything complimented each other and every bite was amazing. I had the hare and my girl had the striped bass. Both of which were delicious. Dessert was very good and very creative. Sorry cannot give an accurate description as to what we had but again, very creative and very good! Overall, I was happy with my experience here but for the money, I would eat elsewhere. The bill with tip could have covered three meals with wine in a nice restaurant in Hunterdon County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal place before Lincoln Center concertsMusicLoverDined on 11/14/2014Ideal place before Lincoln Center concerts, only 3 min away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian ExcellenceKatrinaDined on 11/3/2014Picholine has an unbelievable vegetarian menu. We had the three course menu with many choices in each category. Vegetarians are not an after thought here. They are considered at the same level of their other dines. excellence in everything the kitchen and dinning room staff attempts! And, with all the amuse, palate teasers and cheese selections, it was a filling and satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than 1 Michelin star3MusketeersDined on 11/1/2014The food is at least 2 star level. Each dish has wonderfully complex tastes with layers and textures and surprise bursts of flavor. The room is spacious and has that wonderful light that shows everyone at their best. The service is flawless. The wine list has many bottles whose age becomes them, and that you will not find elsewhere. None of this comes cheap, but to us it was worth it. Although we chose another route, the wine pairings appear to offer good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous meal!HeidiVIPDined on 10/30/2014We are repeat visitors, we look forward to coming here whenever we visit NYC. The 3 course menu is perfect for us and every morsel was divine. The room is lovely and the wine by the glass always excellent. Surprisingly, we wish the service had been better. We waited too long to get our waiter's attention and he never came by to ask if we liked the food or chat with us. The bus staff is wonderful, I'm always impressed with how quietly they handle the plates when removing them, no clatter at all, which is myost unusual. Our meal, we each had 2 glasses of wine was quite costly, $360 in total, but we feel it's worth it and will look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening with friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/29/2014From the moment we arrived, the staff of Picholine met all our special needs. We enjoyed a truly memorable meal and the restaurant's calm beautiful atmosphere lent itself perfectly to our group.Special Features:
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/29/2014A favorite dining spot 12+ years ago when we lived in the city. We so looked forward to a return on a recent visit to NY. A weeknight with few diners; the beautiful dining room resounded with chatter from the 3 ladies nearby---we heard every intimate detail of their lives. Autumn menu was interesting--the rib eye was good but pheasant was bland and tough. The wine list is a joke with prices well over $100/bottle (2 exceptions); the sommelier was at the table offering suggestions before we had even looked at the menu. Service was matter of fact; the manager walked by several times without so much as a glance at our table. Sadly, we have said farewell to this place where we spent such memorable evenings.
- Too expensive.LESresDined on 10/24/2014The food was very good but the prices were over the top for what we had. Most of the cost was service-related. Staff hovering. Alcohol prices were ridiculous. We did well with the prix fixe for three course with wine tasting, $105 for food, $55 for wine, each. $20 extra for the game (partridge) and extra for coffee. We went for a birthday dinner, and there were birthday candles being lit all around us. Decor was extremely bland.Special Features:
- Memorable mealChanteuseVIPDined on 10/24/2014To celebrate my husband's birthday we had the 5-course tasting menu with accompanying wine selections. One course was better than the next, and wines were perfectly paired. The amount of food was just right, too: at the end we didn't feel we had eaten too much. This was not our first visit, but it had been a few years since the last. We finished our meal thinking, Why did we wait so long to come back? We won't wait so long next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Are you kidding?LewisVIPDined on 10/24/2014Go to many french restaurants like La Grenoille and Bouley. Had pre- theatre here, first time here. Ordered gnocchi appetizer: 4 pieces. Lamb entree....3 chicklet sized pieces....no kidding. $350 bill for 2 with 2 glasses of wine (wine by the glass). Been all over the world and never saw such tiny portions!!!!! Ridiculous. Had to go to dinner after the show since we were both hungry!
- The food gem on the upper west side2seekingthebestDined on 10/21/2014What a great find!! Service was impecable, food was outstanding with surprise after surprise. And all in a subdued and tasteful setting. We tried the 5 course which was just the right size offerings and beyond our expectations. Worthy of a Michelin upgrade to three stars!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening w/ family/friendsCWFLDined on 10/20/2014Wonderful evening with family and friends. There were a couple of slow service issues and the wine list needs expanding to include more reasonable options.Special Features:
- Sophisticated DinningSeattleKDined on 10/20/2014Plan to dress very nice, everyone was wearing a jacket and dress when we went on a Monday evening. The service is exceptional, I've not been waited on by so many individuals or had so many plates and glasses pass by. Very sophisticated dishes and environment overall. However, I've had better food. While the presentation was wonderful and the list of ingredients beyond my ability to memorize, the overall taste wasn't that complex. I waited and waited for the various flavors to enchant, but it just didn't happen. Here, you'll pay or a wonderful experience, but you could easily find more flavorful (and cheaper) food and wind in New York.Special Features:
- Good food but.......BoltonianDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant is lovely and the food was outstanding but the total dinner experience did not work. We had to ask for both a menu and bread,there was no warmth from the servers, apart from the charming oriental sommelier and the service was exceptionally slow despite the restaurant being only 60% occupied. This restaurant obviously has a first class kitchen but front of house is not delivering. Presumably this is why it was half empty at 9pm on Saturday evening, it should be doing much better.Special Features:
- Outstanding!JoadieDined on 10/18/2014The service is outstanding. Very attentive. The details are notable and appreciated, such as a personalized menu to celebrate our anniversary, which we were given at the end of the meal. Sadly, I forgot to take it when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsfoodloverDined on 10/18/2014Outstanding in every way, amazing food without resorting to fad tricks such as air filled foams. amazing combination of flavors, with excellent wine parings. Service matches the food without being pretentious.Special Features:
- WowPabloVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great food, great service. A truly enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful!TheaterboundDined on 10/17/2014A perfect combination of excellent food and a very attentive professional staff which understood our theatre deadline. Lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, with flaws. Amazing cheese!MakeMeGoMmmDined on 10/16/2014Overall, each dish had great things going on, but also had at least one serious flaw. The amuse was probably the best balanced, a beautiful silky soup with a small bite of apple. Sea urchin panna cotta was fishy and salty, and my otherwise delicious and fresh raw scallops had sand in one of them. The pheasant and mushrooms were wonderful, but the Brussels sprouts (a favorite) were undercooked and boring. Only a couple of times did I close my eyes and really enjoy a bite - once was the cheese course for dessert. Ambiance: hard to hear each other speak and so quiet it felt odd speaking up. The service, however, was fantastic. For the price, we won't return to Picholine, but we will definitely try Chef Brennan's other cheese-centered bistro.
- SophisticatedBettinaDined on 10/15/2014Atmosphere and impeccable service . Exceptional Maitre , somelier was not friendly.Special Features:
- An experience I won't repeatCleoDined on 10/15/2014Way too expensive with a very confusing pricing structure. Lovely staff and service and food was good though it turned out to be a about $10-15 a bite! I am just glad I was alone and experienced the shock of my bill alone. I won't be revealing what I paid to anyone nor recommend.Special Features:
- jrg72VIPDined on 10/15/2014Outstanding service. We had not been there in a while, but remembered us immediately. When we sat down they brought us our favorite drinks without ordering them. The found was superb and service outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2014We had not been to Picholine in a year. The food was wonderful and the ambiance conducive to conversation. My husband is a vegan and there was a separate vegetarian/vegan menu. The chef came out to greet everyone and check on our satisfaction with the food. I am always impressed when they take that kind of care. We are so looking forward to our next evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive surpriseEpicureanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Big regrets. The menu doesn't list all ingredients, so when my soup arrived, I was surprised to find walnuts in it (to which I'm wildly allergic). The staff replaced it, but they had recommended the soup. Our wait staff was entirely Hispanic (except the sommelier), which is unexpected in a French restaurant). We were informed the evening was prix fixe after the amuses bouche and menus were presented at our table (it was not listed pris fixe on open table). So you can imagine what an expensive surprise it was to receive a $400 dinner bill for my daughter and myself. I don't appreciate becoming an unwitting captive dinner guest. We lost our appreciation of the dining experience, it did not meet our expectations, and we will not return.Special Features:
- KscommentsDined on 10/9/2014Exceptional service, quality food and ambience. Will definitely be revisited.. No room for improvement!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lala1dinesVIPDined on 10/8/2014Elegant and expensive dinning! Service was outstanding but somewhat too overwhelming and pretentious? in attempt to satisfy the clients! There was a choice of a 3 course or 5 course pre-fixe menu (for $98 and $120!) and, once ordered, we felt "rushed" with the dishes coming too quickly. Wine selection was very nice but, the least costly on the list was above $60-70 (our Pouilly Fume Ladouc was $110!). Ambience was satisfactory but no "warm" accents ( walls decorated mainly with mirrors) and, I was seated on an...uncomfortable couch (too low; I asked to be relocated to sit on "regular" chairs). I recommend this place with reservation and personally I would prefer less of "high end" and more of good food reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXPENSIVEBarbaraVIPDined on 10/7/2014Amuse buche was extraordinary, entrees varied from excellent to good, all at stellar prices. The service was impeccable and most attentive, but all-in-all, a very expensive venue for a very special occasion, which Oct 7 was indeed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014Great food and great service. The 5 course tasting menu was well thought out and the food was delicious and nicely presented. Nice little extra bites provided too that were a surprise. I would definitely recommend, however, it is expensive.Special Features:
- miamiwahooDined on 10/4/2014Cannot wait to go back. The game selections were amazing and expertly prepared. Made our anniversary celebration extra special.Special Features:
- Great service pre-theater, thats itBenAroundDined on 10/4/2014The service at Picholine is very good and accommodating. The food however was not memorable for the price. It was either over salted or bland. As a side note the dining room is not well decorated (mirrors and some boring wall art that looks like weird blocks of sand) and the seats are a bit worn out. Sorry.
- A Night at the OperaJohntripasDined on 10/3/2014The service and cuisine lived up to everything I had read about Picholine - excellent! The staff was aware of our early curtain time, and took pains to serve everything in a timely fashion. The appetizers and entres were exquisite, especially the white gazpacho followed by the suckling pig. And we thought that the "cheese cart servings were sinfully delicious." My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and couldn't have made a better choice to start our evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haute PriceETKAVIPDined on 9/29/2014Haute cuisine--with a twist. Best part: a lovely Riesling for $75---on a wine list that was very pricey.Special Features:
- Simply awesome!Gabos1972VIPDined on 9/28/2014Great service, outstanding course menu and excellent ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/28/2014delicious dinner, but why ruin it and charge $12 for a cup of coffee???Special Features:
- PicholineJamesDined on 9/27/2014I went to Picholine before the Opera on 9/22. I had a six o'clock reservation and had the three course prix fixe menu. I always try to order unique choices with particular interest in the restaurant's signature offerings. I ordered the sea urchin panna cotta which I found delightful. My main course came from their notable wild game selections. I selected the loin of hare cooked rare/medium rare. It was great! My dessert was the corn/blueberry ice cream dish which was incredible. The room is beautiful. Service was exceptional. The crowd was a little stuffy but who cares!Special Features: