157 Shrewsbury Street
Worcester, MA 01604Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piccolos157.com/
- Phone: (508) 754-1057
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Lounge Open Late
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: John Piccolo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Limited entertainment
A word from Piccolo's
A unique destination for Worcester's movers and shakers, Piccolo's has become the place to go for great Italian cuisine, a glass of good wine and an eclectic social mix not found elsewhere on Shrewsbury Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Piccolo's - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
Piccolo's reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (6)special occasion (5)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great service and very good foodDavePDined on 11/14/2014I took my daughters out for dinner and we were going to go to Via but couldn't get a table for the right time. Piccolo's had availability so we went. I had never been there. It took a few minutes for the waitress(es) to come to the table but after that they were very attentive. The one negative was no children's menu but they accommodated nicely. Great food and great service. I'll go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good casual place to hang outdineoutDined on 9/27/2014We had a reservation though there was not a specific table ready when we got there. Food was really good. Waitress was so harried and it seemed so understaffed. Two 18 year olds at our table ordered lemonade and were served an alcoholic beverage that looked like lemonade. I had the same and asked the waitress if drinks had alcohol in them…she knew they were alcoholic beverages. Not good. Food came slowly but we were in no rush so that night did not matter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Difficult to enjoy the food or the company due to the noise level.Special Features:
- Too loud to enjoySharMcDined on 9/27/2014Our party of 5-2 adults, 2 college students and a 12 year old, were really looking forward to a dinner out, specifically Italian food. We decided to try Piccolos based on its location and a few reviews that we read. We were seated in the dining room at a corner table. In the dining room, down the center of the room, was a party of about 16 people who were beyond loud and obnoxious. This group was so loud that we could not speak to each other at our table without yelling. The room was small with tin ceilings which echoed the noise. It completely ruined our meal and we could not wait to get out of there. The food was very good but it was difficult to enjoy it with the noise level being deafening. It was not a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Delicious diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Had a great evening in Worcester, beginning with an incredible meal at Piccolo's. Incredible Italian food; I even managed to impress my Italian boyfriend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Won "celebrity death pool" dinner and chose Piccollo's. The group tends to get loud. We had the best service and food. Our waitress made great suggestions and was exceptional I would rank this experience as right up there with boston restaurants Great jobSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hold the saltCarolVIPDined on 8/30/2014Prices reasonable, portions large, food very good. The eggplant-chicken parm combo satisfied my craving, however it was very heavy on the salt and I am normally a saltaholic. I was sucking down water for the rest of the evening! Would only go back if they can lighten up on the salt, will call ahead and ask next time.Special Features:
- ClassicintheheightsDined on 8/23/2014Another terrific meal here for two adults and three college-aged kids. Fun enough for them and sophisticated enough for us. The classic Italian fare is perfectly rendered, and the service is lovely. Reasonable prices, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 133 reviews are from the Piccolo's reviews archive.
- First time visitor to Piccolo'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Our visit to Piccolo's was nothing short of fantastic. The waitress was awesome as she sat us at our table and did a quick historical presentation of the restaurant itself. While she was only there for about a year her colleagues and everyone else on the staff have been there forever. The food was prepared to both our satisfaction. My wife ate every bit of her ravioli special and I tried to eat all of my chicken park. Yes, I was the one that took home a doggy bag but leftovers the next day was equally good. The prices were not extravagant. We will be back to this hidden gem. The only negative about the restaurant is their chilly air conditioner..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dine2Dined on 6/14/2014As usual, the food, service and atmosphere were superb!! THE best veal parm anywhere ;)Special Features:
- Still Great after 9 yearsJayGeeDined on 6/14/2014Wonderful food. Great wait staff. Great owner. The Bel Mondo salad and the Fatima salad are top notch. The pasta sauce is just like our Italian family remembers from our own family. The Shrimp and pasta is very good. Best Shrimp we ever had. Don't miss the garlic bread. Very nice wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot before HanoverCentralMAfoodieDined on 6/6/2014We stopped in here for dinner before a show at Hanover Theatre and since we were early (5:45) we got a great spot at the window. It had been some time since we were here, but we were not disappointed. Service was excellent and the food was very good. I wouldn't hesitate to come back.Special Features:
- Mother's Day lunch at piccolosMothersdaylunch2014Dined on 5/11/2014Met with family for a Mother's Day lunch Food was very good everyone was happy Noise level was very high due to a small place an a large volume of peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers DayParttimePIDined on 5/11/2014We went to Piccolo's for Mothers Day late afternoon lunch - the service was great - the staff friendly and attentive but not overly so. My husband and i had the Sea Bass - melt in your mouth good. My daughter had the filet mignon - excellent! And my son had the veal parm - delicious. We also shared two deserts the bread pudding was delish and the mousse pie - yum! We have never had a bad meal at Piccolo's - we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- PonsitiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014We took friends out to dinner and had a wonderful time. Our waitress was perfect and made the evening even more enjoyable.Special Features:
- Excellent foodDelightedDinerDined on 4/19/2014Excellent food & service. Good for vegetarians and omnivores. Decor is a little dated. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian food loved by Italians!!SaderdinersDined on 4/11/2014Piccolo's came highly recommended! A fun little spot, the wait staff is very friendly, and while it is dark inside, not too much, and the food was fabulous! I had the Eggplant Sicialiana was awesome. Two huge slices of tender eggplant fried to perfection (very light touch!) and with just a touch of fresh tomato sauce on top, and the cavatelli sautéed with garlic and spinach was out of this world delicious! My daughter had a ravioli served with artichoke hearts and a pink vodka sauce which she devoured! My husband had the seafood over pasta..what a huge and delicious dish of seafood, little necks, mussels, fish all in a spicy red broth! Did I mention the special "garlic bread"..don't miss it...served with a gorgonzola dipping sauce...yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice quiet dinnerPeteSDined on 4/11/2014We had dinner on a Fri night about 7;00. The restaurant was not busy. This was surprising as we found it packed on previous visits. So we had Piccolo's great food in a very quiet room. A memorable night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner outraffyDined on 3/29/2014food was great, tried the bread appetizer with gorganzola dipping sauce at the server suggestion, delish. Definate to return food, service and atmosphere greatI would recommend this to a friend.
- Third Time There!PatFVIPDined on 3/28/2014Piccolo's has become one of our favorites. We went on a Friday night as did a large party of about 8 & another party of 4 along with several other tables of customers. Both parties were extremely noisy. Because the main dining room is very small with low ceilings the noise level at times was unbearable. We have been on Saturday nights in the past and though there were more customers the noise level was more moderate. So lesson learned - bar area seating might actually be quieter on Fridays. But with that said we loved our meals (salmon for me and veal porterhouse chop for my husband) and a wonderful almond cake for dessert. Message to pastry chef-keep the almond cake on the dessert menu permanently! Will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was prepared exactlyejb8VIPDined on 3/19/2014Dinner was prepared exactly as I wanted it...and I am not easily pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week findprofjaneDined on 3/1/2014We didn't know it was Worcester Restaurant week when we made the reservation. But the choices and price for the special menu were outstanding. The eggplant and gemelli special was delicious - very thin slices of eggplant, nicely breaded and with just enough cheese. The place is a winner! Only downside is that the tables are very close and it was very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner sat. NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014It was very busy so we were delayed about 30 min. Once we were seated everything was great. I have always found the dining room underwhelming - especially compared to dining in the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out w friendsAnneBDined on 3/1/2014We ended up here quite by accident. It turned out to be a pleasant accident. The food was very good. The service was fine - but slow at first. Even though we were told the kitchen was behind our food came out quickly with the first two courses a bit rushed. We would definitely visit again to try the full menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been amazing!BostonSueDined on 3/1/2014The place has serious potential because the food and waiters were fantastic! The problem was we had a 7:00 reservation, we didn't get seated until 7:30 because the 5:30 seating was waiting for their food which they never received and had to leave for the theater. We were not in a rush and were happy to be with our friends so we let it roll off our backs. We didn't get served dinner until 9:00 p.m. So it could have been a disaster if we had been with our parents and not our buddies. The food was amazing! Probably wouldn't suggest it to other folks. Too bad - it has potential!
- A small cozy place to getOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014A small cozy place to get a great meal at a reasonable price.. The food was Fantastic and I am very particular when it comes to Italian food. Everything from apps to entrees where DELICIOUS...WOULD RECOMEND TO EVERYONE...............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had 6PM reservations andefburkejrVIPDined on 3/1/2014We had 6PM reservations and informed the waitress we needed to be quick as we had to be somewhere at 8;00PM about 15 minutes away. unfortunately our meals, which were ordered promptly, did not arrive until 7:45 just prior to our leaving. We were planning to leave without the meals, but they happened to arrive at about the same time. We ate quickly, and left. The food was tasty, but would have been much better had it been served in a reasonable amount of time.
- Never got to eat our meals....CWETaylorDined on 3/1/2014While I will preface this with the fact that we DID understand it was Worcester Restaurant Week, we were extremely disappointed in not just our experience but in the way it was handled. We arrived for our 6pm reservations on time & informed our server that we had a show (just minutes away) at 8pm. We waited an hour to get our soups & apps, another 25 minutes further to get our salads & finally had to give up at 7:50pm (an hr &50 minutes AFTER we arrived!!) -NO DINNER for us! No attention from a Manager, never offered anything to compensate & our waitress, while nice, kept just saying "I am soooo sorry" which only consoled us the first 5 times she said it - an hour into it, we didn't really have as much appreciation for her being so sorry.
- Good Food - Crowded on a Show NightMetrowestDined on 3/1/2014We had another great meat, but the place was very crowded due most likely to a show at the Hanover Theater. This put pressure on the service but it was still a good experience.Special Features:
- Two hour wait - no food served.Wanted2EatDined on 3/1/2014Our experience at Piccolo's was a disaster. We had 5:30 dinner reservations for six people and we were promptly seated. Drink orders were taken and drinks served. Dinner order was taken. Salad and soup was served for the two people who ordered from the "restaurant week" special and an additional salad was served. After waiting for two hours for food that never came, we had to depart the restaurant at 7:30 in order to attend Hanover Theatre. We paid for our drinks and were also charged for the three salads. To add insult to injury, a room that was empty when we arrived was full and the people were nearly finished with their dinner. At no time did a manager or the owner come to speak with us or offer any amenity.
- Excellent FoodTitoDined on 2/28/2014The decor is just ok but the food is excellent. My meal rivaled what you would find in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but hard to accessNicoleDined on 2/21/2014The food was amazing! My only reason for a lower rating is access to the restaurant. Parking was tough. We had to first go into the restaurant and get a parking pass for a lot down the street. Walking back was a bit treacherous. The sidewalk directly in front of (owned by?) the restaurant was not shovelled and there was about 2-3 inches of slushy ice and puddles. We had had snow a few days before and then it had rained the night before. Other sidewalks along Shrewsbury street were alternately clean or icy. It made walking difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best steaks and sea foodCratDined on 2/20/2014The best steaks and sea food beats any place in the area by farSpecial Features:
- Excellent service, attentivePamelaDined on 2/20/2014Excellent service, attentive but not overly friendly. Food was delicious. I had the salmon special which was perfectly cooked and seasoned. My boyfriend had the veal parm and he also enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCmp6VIPDined on 2/15/2014We went to Piccolo's the day after valentines day and during a snowstorm. I had the Chilean sea bass and it was outstanding, my husband had the tortellini Isabella and he said it was outstanding as well. We had the strawberries with cream for dessert. Great waitstaff and bartender. We will be going back!Special Features:
- Amazing!SandyDined on 2/14/2014My family and I went for our Valentines dinner. The restaurant is a hidden gem. The food was AMAZING!! Our party consisted of 6 and we could not have asked for better service from our waiter. She was on top of her game on a busy night. Look forward to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. small waiting areavdaydinerDined on 2/14/2014Our table was in the main bar area which made it so that the people waiting stood next to our table having a loud and obnoxious coversation as well as elbowing me during my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised in WorcesteradeldineDined on 2/2/2014We went to a musical in Worcester - forgive me - during the Super Bowl, and were surprised that our go-to place was closed. We found Piccolo's on the 'Net and were most pleasantly surprised. Staff were most pleasant, space was classy and traditional, food was a treat! The menu has classic Italian fare, but also some innovative variations: we had a fabulous grilled chicken and eggplant. Wine selections were varied and affordable. Waitstaff was knowledgable and attentive. Prices were very reasonable. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the HanoverTrishaDined on 2/2/2014We let our server know we had show tickets and we were finished in plenty of time - with no rush. The food was cooked to order; perfectly. Delicious and well-priced.Special Features:
- Good dining experience but noisyNateWDined on 2/1/2014Food was good and atmosphere was fine, was a little loud, could have been a little quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.