157 Shrewsbury Street
Worcester, MA 01604Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piccolos157.com/
- Phone: (508) 754-1057
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Lounge Open Late
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: John Piccolo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Limited entertainment
A word from Piccolo's
A unique destination for Worcester's movers and shakers, Piccolo's has become the place to go for great Italian cuisine, a glass of good wine and an eclectic social mix not found elsewhere on Shrewsbury Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Piccolo's - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
Piccolo's reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (6)special occasion (5)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent Italian FoodPatFVIPDined on 1/25/2014We have dined at many restaurant's on Shrewsbury Street & I can't believe we missed this place! The hostess and the wait staff all polite & attentive. And then there was the food. Excellent bread and olive oil, nice wine selection by the glass and great menu. Had chicken and gemeli special in pink vodka sauce and husband had the veal chop. Both meals were excellent. Nice dessert platter to follow. Overall a wonderful meal and can't wait to go back to try other dishes. If you like old world Italian décor (dark paneling, Dean Martin picture on wall, Sinatra music playing, small rooms, close tables, cozy) you will love it here. No pretense, not upscale just great food, service and relaxed atmosphere. A place you will want to become a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodSafetyproDined on 1/24/2014Good, but not special. The service was very good. The food was delivered on time and was hot, good, but not exceptional. Wine list is mediocre at best. Very noisy from table talk. Tin ceilings, dark wood, older tables on a carpeted floor. Absolutely no parking. Just park on the side street and walk. Frankly, I have enjoyed Olive Garden more than I did this restaurant.Special Features:
- Fabulous find!VENTUNODined on 1/24/2014The best italian meal ever! Wonderful staff and fabulous food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find on a Saturday NightMetrowestDined on 1/4/2014Piccolo's exceeded our expectations. We struggle finding good places to eat before attending shows at the Hanover Theater since many of the hot spots don't have availability. We stumbled upon Piccolo's and had a great meal. It was relatively quiet when we arrived but by the time we left, the place was almost full. The drinks were well made, appetizers appealing and our meals were extremely well put together. I had the veal parm and my wife had a salmon dish. Both were great. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun New Year's EveGraceDined on 12/31/2013We had a great start to our New Year's Eve at Piccolo's with an excellent table with a view of local fireworks, fast and friendly service, and really delicious and creative food. I love Piccolo's for unusual outside the box Italian meals.Special Features:
- Hire happy people.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013Waitress was vet unpolite. She didn't seem to be happy about her job. I also felt rushed.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantpjfedDined on 12/12/2013We had our holiday dinner for work (10 of us) and the food was fabulous! Out waitress was fantastic. It was the first time I had been in the restaurant and I would definitely recommend it. It would be a great place for a nice romantic dinner with a loved one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting our niece who attendsSuzieDined on 11/9/2013Visiting our niece who attends college in Worcester and wanted to take her out for a casual meal to get a break from college food. This was a great choice-casual, fun atmosphere in both the front bar area and dining room where we ate with our party of seven. The garlic bread started us off and it was the best I've ever had! Everyone was happy with their meals. Not fine dining, but a great place for a reasonably priced good meal, where the service is friendly and courteous.Special Features:
- great worcester italianLUVDAFOODDined on 10/27/2013Save the time and gas to drive to the North end. Known for their veal, try Parm or the veal chop. If you're in the mood for a spicy pasta dish...BUTCHER'S PASTA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food!CajoolDined on 10/27/2013We celebrated my wife's birthday with the entire family. The garlic bread with sautéd Gorgonzola dipping sauce was fabulous. Veal Marino was tender and tasty. The red wine pasta w/spicy sausage was great mix of flavors. All meal that were order by the family left everyone with a smile on their faces. Great place for a family gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodJudeDined on 9/28/2013Although I would go back, my husband says he would not. We did wait a long time for our main course of veal parm and chicken parm. It was very busy around 7:30 and was very noisy. Maybe if they could soften the noise factor my husband would have liked it better. Their Cesar salad was very good along w/ their Gorgonzola fondue and I found my pasta and chicken very tasty.Special Features:
- Enjoy it while you canBruinsRuleVIPDined on 9/7/20136 PM on a Saturday night and the place was empty, 1 other party in the dining room, and only 3-4 parties in the dining area & a few more in the bar area when we finished. What a shame, because this is really a terrific place with excellent food for the price. We started with cucumber vodka and cranberry cocktails, which were very refreshing. Appetizer grilled pizza was excellent, with perfect crust. Calamari was good, but not spectacular. All three entrees were excellent: steak tip risotto w/ brandy cream sauce special, gnocchi with sausage red sauce special, and shrimp Julianna w/ vodka cream sauce. Lemon blueberry cheesecake dessert was very good. Server was knowledgeable and attentive. Can only hope their business picks up soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2013They seated us against the wall near the kitchen over an air-conditioning vent. Got a lobster and chicken dish and the lobster was bad, the chicken chewy. Talked to the manager and nothing was done. Food was nothing to write home for. Place was empty on a Saturday during restaurant week. We will not be going there again and will tell other the same. Too many other great Italian places on Shrewsbury street to suffer the mediocre.
- Good thing our meal was good!foodiesDined on 7/5/2013Although the servers are very friendly, the food arrived 55 minutes after we ordered... had to ask several times for water and several more for a refill. Could have done without the ceasar salad, very mayonnaise-y dressing with sardines on the side in place of anchovies.... the saving grace? Our entree was spectacular. The restaurant itself is always loud and crammed with tables, we don't go often for this reason. It's difficult to have a private conversation both because of noise and closeness to other guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was exceptional!LocaldinerDined on 7/3/2013The food was exceptional! Quaint restaurant on a vibrant street packed with restaurant options. The only downside was the large group seated next to us was very loud which made the small dining room nearly impossible to hold a conversation with our table of 4. No double the experience would have been 5 stars in all aspects if this group had chosen somewhere else to hold their raucous celebration. Be kind to other diners and don't take a large group to this quaint restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the way you like it...MikeVIPDined on 6/14/2013It's great to go to a resturant and be able to ask for a change and its no problem. I loved the idea of Salmon and Lobster. Problem for me...I just love your piccata sauce... I asked for it to be substituted over the cream sauce ( personal preference ) ...waitress said no problem. It was great. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piccolo birthday celebrationBecksDined on 5/26/2013Friends of mine surprised me with dinner for my birthday. The food was fantastic the waitress was unbelievably friendly and attentive and although it was memorial day and the atmosphere was very quiet we preferred it that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piccolo's on Shrewsbury StreetJerseyDined on 5/23/2013The service was exceptionally smooth, and the waitress very pleasant and efficient even though the restaurant was jammed due to college graduations in the area. The atmosphere is comfortable with a dark wood interior, and we saw parties of numerous sizes ranging from couples to parties of 8-10 on the night we were there. The entrees are EXTREMELY generous portions, and all of our orders came out piping hot! The menu offers a diverse selection of choices ranging from veal to seafood, along with creative specials. The average entree price ranges from $18-$24. Reservations are definitely recommended but it is worth the wait to if you have an opportunity to try Piccolos.Special Features:
- Good but not greatKayDDined on 5/18/2013We made a last minute decision to dine here based upon good reviews we read. The place was almost empty which was good because if it was full the noise level would have been deafening. The service was wonderful;everyone was great. The food was just so so. I don't think we will be back.
- A great time!ChuckDined on 5/18/2013Our group of 8 had a fabulous time! The food and wine were delicious, the waitress and bartender were both fantastic. It's rather loud so not a place for quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We got a last minute table for 10OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2013Service was decent, especially considering how crowded it was. The only issue we had was the two orders of garlic bread did not come out as an appetizer, they came with the food. Not really what we were looking for. The food was pretty good, portion sizes were generous. I ordered the chicken and broccoli rabe. It was well prepared, tender chicken and al dente broccoli rabe. The whole dish was a bit bland and could have used some salt (I added from the shaker). My friend seemed to enjoy her seafood dish, as she licked the plate clean. My daughter's dish came piled high with mushrooms, even though she requested no mushrooms. The restaurant was very noisy.
- A Birthday DinnerPenelopeDined on 5/11/2013We thought our dining experience was very nice. It was a bit "loud" but it's a smaller venue so it's to be expected with everyone talking. The food was excellent and the prices were reasonable. The wait staff were very friendly and knew the items on the menu so when they were asked about a particular dish they were able to tell us all about it. It was our first visit and we would recommend it and we will be going back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The inner part of the restaurantireneDined on 5/8/2013The inner part of the restaurant smelled funny. There was not a lot of food choices.Special Features:
- great experienceabd1Dined on 5/4/2013comfortable environment. casual able to engage in great conversation. Staff was awesome, food incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit- there will be a thirdEatingisFUNDined on 4/27/2013We enjoyed our dinner with friends at Piccolo's. Server was attentive, food delighted us, and portions were ample. Try it out-Special Features:
- Great food, friendly staff,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2013Great food, friendly staff, super waitress. Enjoyed a special night out as three couples, seated in the round by the window with a view of historic Shrewsbury street. Skipped the desserts but they looked great as well, wouldn't mind returning some time for coffee and sweets!Special Features:
- First time at Piccolo's, wasOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/6/2013First time at Piccolo's, was not very impressed when we first walked in, but sitting at the bar waiting for the rest of our party to arrive, we could smell the food and realized we're going to have a great meal, and we did, our waitress, I believe her name is Kristin was great and very accommodating. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- You feel like the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2013You feel like the restaurant is located in the North End. Real authentic Italian food and ambiance. Four of us dined and we all enjoyed the food. The haddock special was terrific. The wait staff was very attentive and efficient. We will return!Special Features:
- Tasty and fun night outKimMDined on 3/9/2013Went with a friend to chat and catch up over dinner. Great spot for this. Casual, but nice. We had the calamari to start and it was a great big plate of it and it was fried lightly which we enjoyed. My friend had a salad which was nicely done. For dinner, he had the crispy eggplant and enjoyed that and I had the cannelone special which was quite tasty. We also split a mascarpone blueberry & lemon dessert which was very good! All in all a solid meal and the waitress was great about getting a few little samples of wine for my friend to taste before he made a decision.Special Features:
- Best garlic bread I have everRBK1Dined on 3/9/2013Best garlic bread I have ever had. Excellent cuisine, a little noisy and cramped, but I enjoyed the ambiance myself. Nice neighborhood find that I would recommend and on par with Providence Federal Hill and Boston's Italian district.Special Features:
- Garlic Bread was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/2/2013Garlic Bread was fantastic. Eggplant appetizer was quite good. Entrees were good - Piccolo's marinara is very tasty. Mixed Salad was just lettuce and carrots, a little dissappointing. Toasted almond salad was good. Service was quite friendly and efficient, even though it was busy (Sat night).Special Features:
- We went with the special menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013We went with the special menu and everything was fantastic. We a geat dining experience. It was restaurant week and they were extremely busy so service was a little slow but our waitress was excellent. We will be back.Special Features:
- JulieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2013The food was great and the server was friendly, however, they ran out of clean glasses and we had to wait for drinks....even water! Then they forgot to serve our salad, I had to ask for it as the main course was coming out. The server was apologetic but it was still annoying. They were able to accommodate some special dietary requests and we did have a good time!Special Features:
- All four of us thought ourMJJPDined on 2/16/2013All four of us thought our meals were great. Can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- I would highly recommend Piccolo's.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2013I would highly recommend Piccolo's. It has that old world charm and is very intimate with wonderfully prepared food. The staff was friendly and nice and the wine list was good. It was a nice experience dinning there.Special Features:
- Service was just ok, typicalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Service was just ok, typical waitresses that are too young for the job. Got charged for a sour glass of wine that I sent back. Won't be back any time soon!!
- Worst service my fiancé andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Worst service my fiancé and I have ever had. 2 couples were seated before us after walking in after us. Simply because the waitress knew them. We even had reservations. Took 10 minutes for my fiancé to get any service at the bar then finally when asked what he wanted the bartender then proceeds to take a couples food order beacause she knew them. Absolutely ridiculous. The worst valentines dinner experience we have ever had. Would never recommend going here. We ended up leaving we were so upset.
- I liked it.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013I liked it for its Italian food and old-style atmosphere.Special Features:
- We went their with anotherOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013We went their with another couple for Valentine's Day. We don't know if our waitress was experienced but she was terrible which made the night less than it should have been. The food was excellent albit a bit pricy. Restaurant is noisy as there isn't much to absorb the sound. Keep the tin ceiling though. The tables were too close to be romantic. We would try it again and hope for service that matched the food.Special Features:
- We had a great dinner withDaveSMassVIPDined on 2/2/2013We had a great dinner with friends. We were promptly seated at the time of our reservation. Service was terrific. Food was amazing. Cocktails were excellent. Everyone had a great time & really enjoyed the experience.Special Features: