4300 Bryant Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55409Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piccolompls.com/
- Phone: (612) 827-8111
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday: closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Doug Flicker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room for parties up to twelve, front dining room can be reserved for up to 24.
- Private Party Contact: Adam Johnson 612-827-8111x
A word from Piccolo
Piccolo presents a modern approach to dining by creating dishes moderate in portion size which we feel enhances the dining experience by allowing you more variety in taste while eating healthier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Piccolo - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Piccolo reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)special occasion (99)neighborhood gem (93)romantic (53)notable wine list (47)hot spot (12)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- For foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Overall not a bad restaurant. The main goal of Piccolo is to provide small tasting dishes that are unique and packed with flavor. So if your expected to go here and get one to three courses and be full its not the place for you.Special Features:
- Small Place, Big TasteMeredithDined on 11/8/2014I was not expecting the tiny set up but found it to be charming & perfect for a dinner for two. The tasting menu was interesting but a few things fell short: -Sunchoke soup w/ hen-of-the-woods mushrooms etc - Delicious but luke warm -Monkfish liver mousse - Acknowledging Liver /foie gras is not my thing. My boyfriend found it "fishy" -Rabbit tortellini - hazelnuts were a nice touch. It had flavor but the texture was tougher than I would have liked W/ that being said we loved the Tavel Rose wine recommended by our waitress, the desert & these menu items: -Petrale sole etcetra with the chestnut crab apples - Balanced, perfect textures. A+ -Suckling pig w / pear, maitake mushrooms, chestnut/ honey puree - Perfectly tender and crisp.Special Features:
- Piccolo RestaurantAngieVIPDined on 11/7/20145 course small plates and they were very small, my husband was hungry but he really enjoyed the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb small platescurtcarlDined on 11/2/2014Carefully prepared, beautifully presented small plates imaginatively crafted from top-notch ingredients. What more could one ask? Mywife and I ordered the tasting menu, so between us we sampled 2/3 of the menu. I honestly couldn't name my favorite dish - everything was wonderful. If I was concerned about leaving hungry, I needn't have been. Although each plate is small, the total dinner was more than enough - my wife couldn't finish her entreé (of course, she wanted to save room for dessert). We'll definitely return, but we may opt for a few individual plates rather than the entire menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who needs NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/1/2014I can have an amazing meal cooked by the chef here in Mpls. We've been to Piccolo several dozen times and are constantly amazed at their ability to come up with new menu every couple of months and the quality at which they do so. I told the staff that I use the cost of a Piccolo meal as a metric to judge other meals by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- adventurous food, dated roomMutleyDined on 10/30/2014What a delightful way to spend an evening; eating plate after plate, a few bites each, of creative and exciting food beautifully presented and attentively served. Who could ask for more?...me! The food is dynamite but the room and table settings are a bore. The bare clunky tables are a mismatch for those elegant flavors on their hyper composed plates. The casual table settings really threw me. Seats were comfy though. Service was attentive and right on cue. Unfortunately when we arrived there was a strong, unpleasant odor. Not sure what that was or if the restaurant always smells like this, but it smelled of something amiss. Our noses adjusted and it did not effect our dinner but it wasn't a favorable first impression. Food ruled!Special Features:
- Fabulous Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2014Took a group of colleagues visitng from Europe to Piccolo. We all had the tasting menu. What a wonderful way to taste all Piccolo has to offer. The monkfish was my favorite, but hard to choose. They raved and raved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2014Most wonderful food experience we have had locally. Thoroughly appreciated and enjoyed every moment in the restaurant. The atmosphere, service and food was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/24/2014We love this restaurant, great food, wonderful service...Special Features:
- The quality we have come to expectbestfriendsDined on 10/24/2014We love Piccolo- the service, the food ,the experience are always the best. The food is so creative and reflects the season. The rabbit tortellini was so good- the hanger steak perfectly prepared, and the scrambled eggs with pickled pigs feet & truffle just melted in your mouth. I always love the service here as well- they really work together as a team. It has been about a year since we were in but we will not wait that long next time.Special Features:
- Amazing food!!!DontbelievethehypeVIPDined on 10/23/2014Amazing food wonderful service a favorite of mine and my husbands for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectemweDined on 10/18/2014The tasting menu takes the guess work out of ordering, and flexibility with it means everyone at the table gets what they like. Server was very well informed, helpful and fun. Food was beautiful in every sense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Service was superb. Our waiter provided detailed explanations of the menu. His wine suggestion hit the mark. We arrived on time and our table for four was ready. We were there for 2.5 hours but it did not seem so. Our table chose the tasting menu. Portions are small but appropriately so with 5 choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okMeghanDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary, and were not impressed. Food was just ok for the price and amount of food.
- Great food in small packageeChuckVIPDined on 10/11/2014Tasting menu (5 small-ish courses - $56): very good. Dining room is small (12-15 tables), cozy. Good wine selection (per glass, carafes, bottles) for broad range of prices (glass of sparkling brut, Zin and pinot: excellent). Lived up to my expectations as a very good Twin City restaurant.Special Features:
- Wow!Hilltop83Dined on 10/10/2014Such a cute, little neighborhood place-casual, but food that could easily compete with the most upscale restaurants. We did the 5 course taster (the only way to go) plus added the cheese course to share. The food was to die for!!! Perefectly prepared, unique ingredients, beautiful presentation and served nicely by the staff. Our server helped us settle on the perfect bottle of wine to go with our selections. My ONLY compaint would be the portion sizes. We knew going in that they would be small and overall I have no problem with that. But these almost bordered on being a little skimpy. Another oz. of the soup or one/two more tortellini would not have ruined the effect and been just a bit more satisfying. Still, we will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food experienceeat4lifeDined on 10/9/2014With eclectic food choices, we had a difficult time trying to decide what we should eat. The decision was made just to keep returning to see what other offerings we could sample. Wonderful small plates in a small setting.Special Features:
- Think Exquisite, not SmallChuckDDined on 10/3/2014Doug Flicker named his restaurant Piccolo because of his focus on small, precisely technical dishes. But don't think "small" when you think about this restaurant; think "exquisite." The attention to technical precision, refinement of flavors, and beauty of presentation are his hallmarks. The portions are actually ideal for each dish: several memorable bites of perfectly balanced flavors, without there being so much that the palate becomes fatigued. The 5-course tasting menu is reasonably priced and is plenty of food. The wine list is just as exquisite as the food -- not overly expansive, but each selection carefully chosen to pair well with this style of food. The dining space is plain and congenial; the staff attentive and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uniqueopieDined on 10/3/2014a nice experience presentation and entrees small and not specialSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014The meal was the best I have had in of all my visits. Superb food, ambience, service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saltyFromOutOfTownDined on 9/28/2014The food was salty but presented beautifully. The place is nice and quite.
- Tasting menuRyanDined on 9/27/2014Piccolo is a great little spot, highly acclaimed by Anthony Bourdain and a James Beard nominee. The five course tasting menu is definitely the way to go as the a la carte option is more expensive and portions are the same size. The menu is seasonal with new items appearing regularly. I had an incredibly difficult time picking my favorite bite of the meal as all the courses were expertly crafted. Definitely a place to visit again.Special Features:
- More than happyWaazzoDined on 9/27/2014Wonderful experience! Staff was fun, food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014Not with the hype- overpriced, not flavorful and the Portions for everything is more like tapas. When we left after ordering starters, dinner and dessert we went to another resturant to eat. I believe in smaller portions but this for the price was terrible!
- Great experienceObsoletevDined on 9/22/2014Really a top class food experience. Excellent 5 course meal with great wine to compliment it. Hope to return soon.Special Features:
- Really great experiencegros0054Dined on 9/22/2014We went for our anniversary and had an awesome dining experience. The service was perfect and very personalized. The food was amazing - small portions so we did the tasting menu and enjoyed every course. Make reservations because it is a very small dining room; maybe 10 tables. Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Minneapolis restaurantEDuncanDined on 9/21/2014This is the perfect example of the advantages of quality over quantity. The food is so good, that if one were to have more the treasure would be lost. Piccolo demonstrates that one can be happily sated with tastes as opposed to volumes. The space is just right and the service is is attentive but not intrusive. A restaurant for grown-ups...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealGlennVIPDined on 9/20/2014Forget about ala carte at Piccolo... the experience is to go with the fixed price menu. Every single course is wonderful, a beautifully presented plate or bowl. Each course is a tasting amount, so although there are five courses, you needn't be rolled away from the table at the conclusion. A wonderful addition to the Minneapolis food scene.Special Features:
- SpectacularCuriousculinaryDined on 9/19/2014Small and cozy restaurant. Small portions, amazing taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does polished mean......KSD1Dined on 9/17/2014Uncomfortable, mood-killing, patronizing? We were a group of two couples who were very excited to enjoy the Piccolo experience! It's rare that a server can totally destroy an experience but in this case, that did occur. She was cool, haughty, patronizing, and actually quite rude. Several questions regarding dishes were met with disdainful descriptions. One in our party when trying to decide between two dishes asked "which do you prefer?" The response was "does it really matter which one I like"? Seriously? When asked what a portion of a dish was; she responded briefly and added "like the menu describes". I'm not sure we could enjoy the food as much as we should have after essentially being humiliated several times.Special Features:
- Consistent WinnerIpaJoeVIPDined on 9/14/2014We always enjoy the creative and careful preparation of very fresh seasonal ingredients. The five-course tasting menu is a great value and the wines by the glass are thoughtfully selected and fairly priced. It's hard to be this consistently good in any business let alone the food business. Kudos to Chef Flicker and his team!Special Features:
- Great Tasting ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I am an avid home foodie, but this was my first real fine dining experience. We went specifically to have the tasting menu as it was a bucket-list item for me. The atmosphere of was great! Felt more like eating in someone's home than a restaurant, which made things feel less intimidating for a newbie like me. Loved walking through the kitchen to our table in the back room. The food was incredible and just the right portion size to enjoy all the courses and feel comfortably full. There was also an extensive wine list, though we didn't partake. I will say I couldn't imagine going without a reservation as the two dining spaces seem really small. Overall, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PiccoloMaryDined on 9/13/2014Meticulous service, food was exceptional in preparation and taste!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodporkdumplingDined on 9/7/2014Was in town for a couple of days and wanted to try something similar to Travail. I was not disappointed. Their menu changes monthly so I'll be back next time I'm in town. They serve small plates where you have 3 selections to chose from. The 5 course tasting was $56/person, which is a good deal compared to other places I've been to. First plate was cucumber terrine with monkfish liver mousse. 2nd Plate was grilled black mission fig on brioche. 3rd plate I had this ridiculously good chicken crepinette. 4th plate was a suckling pig and finally dessert was a milk chocolate cremeux with banana ice cream. Very creative farm to table type food. I highly recommend this place if you're a foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a huge fan, but I get it612WhereAreYouVIPDined on 9/4/2014I don't enjoy it here, but I understand the love with it. Very well presented dishes, but it just doesn't do 'it' for me. My date loved it, as she did the first two times she went, but I just don't enjoy it. Not sure why. I do think there are other places out there that I just think are better, and that may be the reason I devalue Piccolo a bit. But, that said, it is a fun experience - inventive, well plated, well tasting meal for a decent value.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantMinneapplefoodieDined on 8/28/2014I've never experience food with such tremendous flavor before visiting Piccolo. Certainly a one of a kind place that I would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastingTienDined on 8/25/2014My friends and I had the tasting. It was an incredible experience. Everyone who was working was knowledgeable, friendly, and efficient. It was like a dance, every moment was choreographed to perfection. And the food! My goodness, every plate was picture perfect, we wanted every bite to never end. The flavors were rich, robust, innovative and so fresh! It was such a incredible evening and I want to thank the chef and his staff, again, for what they do. I'll remember my night at Piccolo forever. And I'll come back when I visit Minneapolis again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with old friendsCarolVIPDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful prix fixe 5 course tasting menu. We tried at least 15 different items, & all but one was a great hit. Service was excellent as well. This is a small neighborhood restaurant, so do not expect elegance, just excellance.Special Features:
- Tasting menu a mustFHDinerVIPDined on 8/20/2014This restaurant is known for its small dishes but we didn't realize how small. We were reluctant to get the tasting menu of because we were afraid it would be too much food. We are glad we did because each dish was pretty small. The tasting menu of 5 courses was just enough food. The wine list was extensive with many wines offered by the glass.Special Features:
- Creative and tastychenx019Dined on 8/20/2014A gem in the Twin Cities ! The food is creative and tasty. A bit on the pricey side for the portion but you'll leave with a memorable experience.Special Features: