464 N Halsted
Chicago, IL 60642Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://piccolosognorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 421-0077
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Priolo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room seats up to 36 people
- Private Party Contact: Ciro Longobardo 3124210077
A word from Piccolo Sogno
Regional Italian cuisine featuring a combination of local and Italian ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Piccolo Sogno - Best Restaurants in River West ›
Piccolo Sogno reviews from OpenTable diners
280 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (188)fit for foodies (154)special occasion (148)romantic (141)notable wine list (112)neighborhood gem (107)good for groups (86)hot spot (60)great for lunch (45)scenic view (17)late-night find (15)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014The pasta was homemade and very fresh. Loved the grilled calamari and octopus. The limenicello was very refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Italian food!FoodyoneVIPDined on 11/21/2014Tony and Ciro deliver a wonderful dining experience with exceptional Italian food that is delicious and authentic! Love this place! Tonight we had one of the superb thin crust pizzas and the whole Branzino, fresh and superbly prepared! On other visits we have had outstanding pasta dishes as well as an amazing duck. Cannot think of a better Italian dining experience in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian, Wonderful AmbienceMartiDined on 11/20/2014After hearing my friends rave about Piccolo Sogno, I finally had the opportunity to experience this wonderful restaurant! The service from the minute you walk in is welcoming and food was fantastic as was the wine list! I look forward to returning and making this one of my favorite spots to return too. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good guessSimplemanDined on 11/19/2014Call me simple, but I enjoy classic Italian dishes - when I don't see one on the menu, that leaves someone like me guessing at what I'm ordering. I made a good guess, but when I'm out to dinner I like my odds being higher than 50-50. Prices were lower than what I expected. Meal portion was not that large, but I did not leave hungry. Overall we had a memorable experience. AND they have parking!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceMarioVIPDined on 11/15/2014I come here 2-3 times per year especially in the summer, best outdoor seating in Chicago. Over the summer the manager came by and asked us if we'd tried the pizza's so we went last Saturday and it was delicious. My friend had the Piccolo Ravioli and she loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely evening. Great food and wait staff.LindyLouDined on 11/11/2014Just a little too loud in the dining room for conversation. I will eat at the bar next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RicardoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014outstanding waiter. I told him to order for us and the whole experience was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTonyVIPDined on 11/5/2014This Resturant was recommended to me by friends from Chicago and frankly they have undersold it. I travel extensively and this was a really outstanding find. Great food and service will definitely be back anySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but noisyDaveDined on 11/1/2014Food outstanding. Service excellent. However, very loud. This is the place to come for a great meal, but not a quiet, romantic outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still DeliversWinedudeVIPDined on 10/31/2014Consistently one of the best Italian spots in Chicago. Great pasta, seafood, and salads. Always good service. This time we had Miguel take care of us. He was friendly and helpful. Great wine selection too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piccolo SognoSusanVIPDined on 10/31/2014This is TRUE Italian food - everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Spot On!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/30/2014The fish is the BEST in the city! Consistently fresh and amazing. The service is impeccable. Great for romantic dinner or with a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- from Charleston SCCharlestonSCFoodieDined on 10/29/2014gracious hosts, Alberto was from a movie, enjoyed the meal with us,spot on wine list, appealing appetizers, special for the day authentic antipasto plate, then Mediterranean sea bass cooked whole, then removed from the bone with a light wine sauce capers fennel, meaty, balanced to enjoy the taste of the fish, sauce which was just enough to cover the fish but not drowning;my friend had the SPAGHETTI NERI “FRUTTI DI MARE”, hearty pasta cooked to balance the plentiful bounty from the sea again the amount of sauce did not get in the way of each forkful, coated the contents of the dish, not drowning, so he could enjoy the taste of all of the dish,mille foglia and italian cheese cake with fresh berries for dessert ridiculous, DELIZIOSOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!ChattyVIPDined on 10/26/2014This is the second special occasion spent at Piccolo Sogno and they did not disappoint! We like the quieter, more intimate area in the back room so we asked to be seated there (too cold to go outside which is of course the best option). Service was lovely, not stuffy at all, and we loved our meals. My husband had the piccolo sogno ravioli and I had the lamb special. Many great appetizer and dessert choice to round out the meal. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- DinnerLuvtherivernorthDined on 10/25/2014Great patio but very crowded and noisy. Food was good but would not go back any time soon. Lots of others places with much better food. Great beet salad though.Special Features:
- DeliciousItalianFoodSnobDined on 10/25/2014Excellent food. Excellent ambience. Would recommend to any fan of traditional Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Picollo Sogno has great food, service but it would have been nice to see more racial diversity as wait staff.Special Features:
- Perfect all aroundSlooper2Dined on 10/25/2014We sat outside and the ambiance was perfect. The service was exquisite and the food was delicious! I would come back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic NighttaylorannDined on 10/24/2014We recently had dinner at Picollo for our Anniversary dinner. Our table was quiet, and everything from the calamari, gnocchi, spiced wild boar ragu, and the pork shank was phenomenal! The only complaint that I had was the service. The restaurant was fairly busy, but the waiters seemed more than frazzled. I had to ask twice for cheese, and I asked twice to have our candle relit. I also had to ask to put our order in. But the food was so amazing, it redeemed the experience! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for ItalianArmabcgDined on 10/24/2014Always a great outdoor spot! Patio is awesome and the hand made pasta is gray and the specials never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliversgrobesDined on 10/24/2014This is about my 4th or 5th time at Piccolo sogno, and they have always delivered phenomenal food with top notch service. This time I had a salt crusted whole fish that was cooked perfect. We also had a pizza, several starters (including a house made venison sausage), a wonderful beet salad, and all passed our deserts around so we could get a taste of everything. The cheese desert had some tasty choices and the chocolate cake with hazelnut ice cream was a stand out. Whenever I come into the city to catch a show at the United Center or the Chicago Theater I end up starting at Piccolo Sogno and I'm going to continue that tradition because I am always impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal at PiccoloRHWPVIPDined on 10/22/2014We had a wonderful meal and they have fresh truffles flown in from Italy to compliment any meal!Special Features:
- Very disappointed with seating!LisaKatee1019Dined on 10/19/2014Had been wanting to try Piccolo Sogno forever. Finally decided to go for my Birthday and booked a reservation on 10/19. It was myself, my 77 yr old Mother and my daughter. We were seated in the back in a "room" that looked like it was constructed for winter, outside of the main dining room. It had wood "walls" and a tent overhead. Highly disappointing! I would have requested to be reseated but I did not wanted to embarrass my Mother. Food & service was wonderful. But, seriously I'm about ambience in a restaurant that has it. Had it been summer I would have loved to sit in the garden. But, it was fall and I was made to feel like we were pushed to the outside of the restaurant. For $300 you could at least pretend to care and seat us inside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And unexpectedly horrible eveningVillaLaPlayaVIPDined on 10/16/2014We recently dined at Piccolo Sogno and left of the place wishing we never entered. We are big foodies. We invited out-of-town guest to join us for an evening of Italian fare. The noise level was intolerable. Service was decent and the food was very well prepared.The ambience however ruined the entire evening. We could not engage each other in conversation due to the high noise level. A table of 6 behind us was so loud that several other tables left before their meal was completed. 2 of these guests shouted the entire visit, and I know way too much about their personal lives by now. To make matters worse, our waiter and manager did nothing about it despite our complaints.
- Outstanding Italian dining!FoodyoneVIPDined on 10/16/2014This place has the combination of really great food and service in a beautiful setting! Pizza appetizer was superb with very crisp thin crust, Branzino, the whole fish, fresh and perfectly prepared, and the hen, crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, also terrific! On previous visits we have also enjoyed the wonderful pastas and the duck, which is amazing! Nice Italian wines. Full bar as well. The Chef Tony and /or his partner Cirro usually stop by to make sure you are enjoying everything. Cannot beat this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodTonyVIPDined on 10/15/2014Have never had a bad experience here. Regular menu is great, but make sure to study the specials. Always something great on the list. Had traditional Italian oxtail that tasted like it was being served in Rome. Gnocchi special with sweet peppers was different and a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- Exceptional FareLunchLoverVIPDined on 10/14/2014I've been here often over the years, but not in the last year or so. Things have changed! What was once a decent restaurant is now exceptional. A quick review of the lunch menu is all it takes to see that the offerings are not the ordinary things you'd expect to see on an Italian restaurant's menu. One that caught my attention was triangle-shaped pasta squares, with mushrooms and asparagus ... which was not only unusual, but prepared perfectly, with all the flavors coming together so subtly, yet so powerfully, that you barely recognized what you'd ordered! And this was LUNCH! I will most certainly return to sample the dinner menu.Special Features:
- Get the Sea Bass!!!ChicagoDnMeDined on 10/12/2014We went on a recommendation from our friends for our Anniversary dinner. They suggested asking for service from 2 of their favorite wait staff, but unfortunately it was both their day off. I'm not sure how better the service would have been, because we were very impressed with Franco. I'm generally not a seafood lover, but I could have eaten Sea Bass all night!. portions were good sized, and presentation was Stunning. The Sort Ribs were tender and delectable. The desert was good and not too over the top ; but honestly, I was so stuffed, I don't think I could have appreciated anything more at that point. All my wife could say is "We'll be back.... Don't be surprised if it's as early as tomorrow for lunch!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurant!NanaDined on 10/10/2014The food, the serice, the ambiance, this restaurant never disappoints! We decided we would celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary there. Our server, Efron(?) was very attentive and actually apologized at the end of the evening because he didn't know it was our anniversary. He wanted to do something for us! This will always be our go to restaurant and not just for special ocassions! I highly recommend Piccolo Sogno.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceGustavoDined on 10/9/2014Great place to eat Italian food, talk to friends, relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianAjayVIPDined on 10/9/2014This was recommended by a business associate while I was in Chicago recently and proved to be a superb choice. The service was prompt, wine recommendation was right on, and the gnocchi was the most delicious I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York LosesNoMusicDined on 10/7/2014From the moment we entered it was an enjoyable evening. I was entertaining a friend from New York who marveled at everything. Not only was the entire menu to her liking (I'm a returning diner so I already know) but the fact that we could easily carry on a conversation while dining was a gift (as was the bill in comparison to NY) And if there was music we didn't hear it. Appetizers and main courses were abundant though we both settled on pasta and were satisfied. A word to traditional gnocchi lovers, this is different than usual gnocchi though quite good. I had the prosciutto/melon appetizer which could have almost been a meal. Paper thin and tasty. She had an arugula salad. The only disappointment we felt were the desert choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzanneDined on 10/6/2014Thought the food was just OK - not planning on returning anytime soon.
- Multo BenefoodieVIPDined on 10/5/2014Piccolo Sogno is a terrific restaurant that happens to be Italian. The decor, table settings and food presentation adds to the whole experience. The food is outstanding from perfectly dressed salads to the roasted Bronzino followed by a hot chocolate cake with gelato. You can,t find a better meal. We will go back to repeat a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- What a joke as fine diningLSRRDined on 10/4/2014Horrible management and service. Couldn't get a reservation for a certain time, so we went at an earlier time. We sat there next to empty tables until we left. We could have gone a half hour later with NO problem. 10+ waiters standing around, talking to each other over ghetto tables. Twice, we had to request that our empty glasses and plates be removed. Hostess was rude when we asked for another table. Here's a hint to the host staff...you are not all that....this is not a nightclub and you are not a bouncer, so smile and try to make people welcome. I think they should walk half a block to La Scarola and see what good service is all about. Tourist trap for people who think this is cool in the big city.
- BEST ITALIAN IN CHICAGOTommyVIPDined on 10/3/2014These folks go out of the way to make your dining experience the best and It shows. The black squid ink risotto brought me back to Milan where I have had this before that only could rival the taste and quality of Picolo version! Sea Bass was the best ever and fileted for you! Now that's service! The waiters and busers are so attentive without being annoying, the perfect balance!Special Features:
- Husband ApprovedPortPreferredDined on 10/1/2014My wife wanted to go for some time. The open table invite surprised her. She enjoyed the service, ambiance, and loved the food. Date night planned and completed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hard to beatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014wonderful evening- one of the last weather perfect nites in a special place- food and service match the atomsphereSpecial Features:
- Great outdoor diningSteakeaterDined on 9/28/2014Good food, outstanding outdoor space & atmosphere. Service was Very rushed, we were just another table. Would probably return. Only complaint would be how close tables are to each other on the patio, very cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor DiningBambinoDined on 9/28/2014I love Piccolo Sogno. It all begins with the delicious balsamic vinegar at the table. Yum, yum! The pastas are terrific, especially the 4 cheese ravioli--like pillows for clouds. You can't go wrong with most dishes. With the weather fading in Chicago to cold, their outdoor patio is the perfect place to celebrate the last remnants of warmth before the next polar vortex cripples us. Don't wait! If the weather is great, get to Piccolo Sogno!Special Features: