Piccolo Ristorante Italiano
651 Oak Grove Avenue, Suite #H
Menlo Park, CA 94025Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Piccolo Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://piccoloristoranteitaliano.com/
- Phone: (650) 326-1314
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: M-S 5:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Piccolo Ristorante Italiano
Piccolo Ristorante Italiano is a cozy and intimate authentic Italian restaurant located in the heart of downtown Menlo Park. We are a small 12 table restaurant, which is where our name "Piccolo" comes from. "Piccolo" in Italian means small.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Piccolo Ristorante Italiano - Best Restaurants in Menlo Park ›
Piccolo Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)kid-friendly (13)fit for foodies (11)romantic (10)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)good for groups (3)special occasion (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Noise level is a challengefrekdnrVIPDined on 11/15/2014A very good small Italian restaurant, though the tables are close together making conversation a challenge if busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been great.....CarmelfoodieDined on 11/9/2014This was our second visit to this neighborhood restaurant. The wait staff is friendly, efficient and pretty much flawless. The food was good rustic Italian. What was so disappointing and different from our first visit was the noise level. They were blasting music throughout our dinner so we had so much trouble talking to our guests. This was last Sunday night so maybe the manager was gone and the staff was just letting off steam. So many reviews list this as a cozy romantic date place but I certainly don't see that happening. I mentioned to one of the wait staff as we left our thoughts about the noise level so I hope that they realize in this tiny place there is no where to get away from the music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old timey Italian-Americanaw1990Dined on 11/7/2014Why bother with a Caprese if you can't get good tomatoes?
- Quaint little gemThomasBDined on 10/26/2014Great atmosphere with good service and amazing feel to it. It is a great place for a small group or any date! And as a South African wine lover, I have to compliment their wine selection and the advice from the servers for the choice of wine.Special Features:
- Diane1VIPDined on 10/25/2014The chef was excellent! His food is outstanding. We will be back and tell our friends about the wonderful food.
- Very EnjoyableSpikermikeVIPDined on 10/25/2014Food was very good and the service was excellent. Very nice local restaurant and wine friendly. Will come back for the short ribs.Special Features:
- PastaPort63VIPDined on 10/22/2014Pastas are very good. No corkage which is great. Very friendly staff.Special Features:
- wonderful neighborhood restaurantKatLLDined on 10/16/2014Piccolo really feels like an Italian trattoria-- warm, welcoming, unpretentious, great yet simple food.Special Features:
- Great food; off-night for serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/11/2014We've dined at Piccolo several times and usually can whole-heartedly recommend (for both food and service). Yet this time, the service was definitely having an off-night. Despite being assured bread was being heated up and would be out shortly, it never arrived. After we initially ordered, the server never came back to check on things until she brought the dessert (she hung out by the bar talking w/the bus boy, who brought our food). Dinner was fine, but 1 of the desserts was completely different than what we ordered. Server said they were out of our order so they swapped w/1 that isn't on the menu - would have been nice to know that when we ordered so WE could have picked something else. It was frozen SOLID and inedible (even with a knife)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta please!LuSeeVIPDined on 9/27/2014The fresh pasta was the best! Great taste and texture with a lovely spicy pancetta marinara sauce. The short rib was tender and flavorful, too! The salad had a very light dressing. This is a small space, but they use it well and they clearly has a dedicated following--- that we will join!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here but not our lastOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/19/2014Most consistent good reviews on both Open Table and on Yelp. Both the veal and the panna cotta were quite good. Less impressed with the gelato cookie dessert. Would definitely come back again to try the homemade pasta. Recommend reservations if coming on Friday or Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Good food! - took a little time to get good because was fresh! Prices good. Fun neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed experiences but good over alllocalDined on 9/10/2014In the past several occasions, wonderful food, served hot, good service and ambience in a cute, charming little neighborhood place. This time, service "spottier", busboy bringing dishes confused as to whose dish was whose, partially our fault, true. Food was very good as in past, house wine also. I would still recommend this place as a "go-to" neighborhood, reasonably priced with good food restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and serviceMattVIPDined on 9/6/2014What a great little spot. Fantastic food. The service was warm and comfortable and the food was tasty and fresh.Special Features:
- Neighborhood/family friendly placeCoraVIPDined on 8/30/2014Easy to find location but a small establishment. Inexpensive wine but choice is limited. Hostess did read my request of window table. That's good. Service overall is nice. Restroom is NOT inside the restaurant. Appetizer is the weakest. Pasta was cooked properly and rich of favor. Dessert was tasty too. A place for family and if you are in the neighborhood. Very affordable.Special Features:
- SharSharVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a very nice dinner at Piccolo. I had the sausage hand rolled pasta and my husband the special pasta that day. They both were delicious.Special Features:
- Good Italian EatsemluvsfoodDined on 8/20/2014Found this Menlo Park neighborhood gem and decided to try it. I had the homemade fettucine with prawns and it was delicious. For dessert, we had the semifreddo and it was quite nice and light to finish off the meal. The staff was very friendly and attentive. I'm looking forward to returning so I can try different items from the menu.Special Features:
- variety is the spice of lifelynnieVIPDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed Piccolo but we feel it needs some more heathy choices and not so much cream sauce and meat. The staff were friendly and professional and we will probably return, but would do this more often if they had more variety.Special Features:
- Piccolo ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014A wonderful dinner, professional service with lots of smiles, delicious risotto, had to ask for a bit more truffle oil, limited wine list but ambiance and food made up for it. Will definitely go there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaderaFoodieDined on 8/3/2014Will go there again & get take out. My food was terrific - including fresh mozzarella appetizer that was outstanding. Free canoli dessert ended our evening perfectly. Would strongly recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 75 reviews are from the Piccolo Ristorante Italiano reviews archive.
- Italian GemCarmelfoodieDined on 7/9/2014This was our first visit to this cozy restaurant and we were so impressed. Very welcoming as you enter and our table was ready. Our server was knowledgable and friendly. She recommended a wonderful wine to go with our dinner. The pace of dinner was perfect. We never felt rushed. Everyone enjoyed their dinners. The pasta dishes were the standout. Unfortunately they had run out of veal so I will definitely order that dish the next time. Very large portions which you easily could split so you could taste more items on the menu. We were all impressed with food and especially the service.Special Features:
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014The food was excellent! The gnocci was so fresh with the gorgonzola sauce. So delicious!
- Had potentialmackenziezDined on 6/18/2014I wanted to love this little restaurant, but ultimately we were disappointed. The fish tasted old . . . the food was just sort of piled on the plate. It just felt uninspired. We won't return.
- authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014We felt that we were dining in a small village in Italy. The pasta was superior and the service was homey.Special Features:
- Wonderful and Relaxing DinnerblueskyDined on 6/7/2014Thank you for a great evening! We were celebrating the end to a symposium with an international guest, and it worked out wonderfully. The service was friendly, attentive and welcoming. We thought the pasta dishes were better than the appetizers, but in general, all the dishes were generous in flavor. We would definitely come again and would bring friends and guests.Special Features:
- Defines "fake Italian"GrandmasAndGrandesToquesVIPDined on 5/31/2014If you like Olive Garden, you'll LOVE Piccolo. Fake Italian for suckers. Very mediocre.
- Hidden Gemfootloose17Dined on 5/18/2014great service, great pasta's and veal. Cannolis OK, but wish we would have made another selection.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceNancyVIPDined on 4/22/2014We had the antipasti plate and it was delicious, tomatoes very tasty. I had the tortollini and it was wonderful. My friend had the scallopini and she said it was very good. Wine selection is limited, but the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- It was okayApeezMeDined on 4/18/2014Came for lunch with a couple girlfriends. The place is not big at all. Had to wave for the server's attention after sitting there for ten minutes without anyone coming to ask us if we needed anything. Service was okay it got started. Food was, meh... I've had better Italian food. It is a cute little spot for a quick bite to eat. Lunch prices were not that bad.Special Features:
- Cute Little Restaurant, Great FoodWayneDined on 4/11/2014This cute little restaurant in Menlo Park has great food, wonderful service, and a large parking area close by. It is a real gem. Great food, great service, and ample parking. Who could ask for anything more in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely little PiccoloNikitaDined on 4/10/2014We came here for a birthday dinner -- the staff was so friendly and very good about knowing just the right moment to check in with us to see what we might need. The food was very good -- each of us enjoyed our dish; we had a 3-year-old with us, and the waiter was very helpful about suggestions for food for him. Great dessert -- it seems like a place where you could come for a date, or come with family or friends and have good conversation and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piccolo Ristorante ItalianoRWSNVIPDined on 4/8/2014this place is cute, the food is good. the service is slow but kind. the wine list is small but not bad. it was a good place to have dinner for four.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the noise level was so high,foodieVIPDined on 4/5/2014the noise level was so high, my husband and I could not converse. It was beyond "energetic" the salad and pasta dish was mediocre. I would not go back
- Awesome service and food!RelbeinDined on 4/4/2014This was the perfect pick for lunch. I was looking for something affordable with great food. The gnocci was EXCELLENT, so was the tortellini soup. Our server was so sweet and attentive. I only spent $15! I will definitely be back for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood restaurantZaylynDined on 3/28/2014Good, but not excellent, neighborhood Italian restaurant. Salads were great, pasta dishes had a little too much rich sauce for my taste. There need to be more vegetarian choices for the pasta dishes. None of us had the meat non-pasta dishes, so these main courses were not evaluated.Special Features:
- Reliable Neighborhood GemfrequentdinerouterVIPDined on 3/28/2014Always enjoyable for food, service (warm welcoming and efficient). It's our "default go to neighbor spot".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Fare/ServiceDebbieVIPDined on 3/27/2014Review is for lunch only, though I can't imagine dinner would be better. Rigatoni arrived less cooked than al dente...and with 3 slightly still frozen meatballs. I finally had to flag the waiter down and he apologized and took them away...for a full 15 mins! I'd already finished my lunch when he asked if I wanted what appeared to be a bowl of sauce. I saw him take the meatballs out of the microwave, and they turned into nothing resembling a meatball...and given microwaving takes only a minute or two...was surprised he brought them at all. He asked if I wanted to take them home and to be polite, I said yes and tossed them as I left the parking lot. My partner's meal was medicore. Won't be back unfortunately.
- Birthday DinnerLindaVIPDined on 3/22/2014We decided to try a new restaurant in the area and the food was very good. Homemade pasta was delicious. My son ate his whole Lasagna which is unheard of. My daughter had the eggplant parmesan and said it was delicious. How many times have you made reservations at a restaurant and noted this was a special occassion (b-day, anniversary, etc) and the restaurant forgot? This restaurant did not, and they presented a beautiful tiramasu that was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server, Adriana was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014Our server, Adriana was great. Food and intimate atmosphere, even for a lady's lunch out catch up was fantastic. We greatly enjoyed ourselves and will come again. The insalata du salmon was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They waived the corkage feeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/8/2014They waived the corkage fee on a Saturday night. That was above and beyond what I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.