Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park
1642 E. 56th Street
Chicago, IL 60637Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piccolomondo.us/
- Phone: (773) 643-1106
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Every Day: 11:00AM to 4:00PM
Dinner: Every Day: 4:00PM to 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Italian
- Executive Chef: Norberto Zas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Pan y Vino Catering. www.panyvino.net
- Cross Street: Cornell
- Public Transit: From downtown Chicago, take the #6 bus to the S Hyde Park and 56th street stop near the Museum of Science and Industry. We are located one block to the west.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking located across from the restaurant. Enter on Cornell Ave, Left side.
A word from Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park
Piccolo Mondo is an Italian restaurant located in Hyde Park's Historic Landmark Windermere House. Piccolo Mondo has been in the same location since 1985, located across from the Museum of Science and Industry and next to University of Chicago. Hyde Parkers and intellectuals of University of Chicago are long time patrons of the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (9)great for lunch (7)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (5)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Hyde Park GemMrsbDined on 11/20/2014My friend and I had dinner here for the first time and it was a great experience. The wine selection, food and service was excellent. I will bring my husband back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmospheric Hyde Park ItalianPolkadottDined on 11/14/2014Hyde Park has lots of restaurants but few ambient places to take a group. Piccolo Mondo accommodated our party of eight with relative ease, and we were able to enjoy a conversation. The noise level was moderate, and my lemon chicken was excellent. My only complaint regards the service; although we'd made a reservation, we were kept waiting for some time, even though the restaurant was not entirely full. But overall I recommend Piccolo Mondo for diners seeking an out-of-the fray spot for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/14/2014Piccolo Mondo remains a reliably mediocre restaurant among several such establishments in Hype Dark -- aka Hyde Park. The staff have perfected their approach to inattentive service and the kitchen continues to create dishes that could earn the envy of Chef Boyardee.
- Food4ThoughtDined on 11/8/2014Wide selection of Italian food, nicely prepared at reasonable prices. Free parking across the street.Special Features:
- Great for pre-theatreToujourslacuisineVIPDined on 11/8/2014I've been coming here forever--through generations (young children, aging parents, adult children, groups. I always enjoy the food, which is steadfastly good. Theatre and concert discounts for local events are available, but I come here just for a nice meal at other times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gem near U of CStrefDined on 10/30/2014If you are going to visit U of C or the Museum of S & I, then make time to stop here. You can walk right over from the museum. The food is great. Thank you for a wonderful evening!!!! Service was great. Brought a couple who have never been. They will be there again!!!Special Features:
- Random Choice Great MealItalianFoodieDined on 10/25/2014We picked this restaurant because it was in the neighborhood of UChicago and we wanted to take our son out for lunch during Family Weekend. After reading the other reviews online, we thought this would be a good choice. What an understatement! First, we got there at 11:00 and they don't even open until 11:30 and yet they seated us and brought drinks and bread. Second, all the wait staff were attentive and gracious. Third, the food was outstanding. I'm REALLY picky about Italian food, and this place exceeded even my high standards. I would not only go back again, but I would take my Italian father, who is even pickier than me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItaliansingleitaliandinerDined on 10/24/2014We were visiting our daughter at the University of Chicago and wanted something in the neighborhood rather than the city. We're Italian so we like to check out local Italian restaurants when we travel. The menu variety was good and what one would expect. Although not ordered, the specials on the menu that evening looked interesting. Our party of three ordered three different entrees, gnocchi, carbonara, and veal marsala. All plates were empty when they came to clean the table. On a scale of 0-10, I would rank the quality and authenticity of the dishes to be about a 8. The service was efficient and attentive. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Continental Charm on a SundaySaxoDined on 10/19/2014I lived in Europe during the 1980s and Piccolo Mondo brought back some good memories of what excellent food, formal table presentation, and professional wait service should be.Special Features:
- Disappointing ReturnYumbirdDined on 10/17/2014We haven't been to Piccolo Mondo for years. It has a new updated look, and the service was fine; but the food was very disappointing. In fact, the gnocchi was inedible. Our least critical friend liked his eggplant Parmesan; the spaghetti dish was passable but inspired. We will not return.
- What a treat!JudyVIPDined on 10/16/2014I am so glad I picked Piccolo Mondo for my solo lunch out last Wednesday while spending the day walking around U of Chicago. The atmosphere, food and service were first rate and the special: Pesce Tutti Mare was fantastic as was the hollowed out lemon stuffed with lemon sorbet for lunch. There was a very eclectic clientele including other tables for one and a view of the beautiful fall multi-colored trees between the restaurant and the Museum of Science and Industry.Special Features:
- Piccolo MondoBFC15VIPDined on 9/19/2014Great service, as always, and fine food. My friends and my family and I like it a lot--a great neighborhood attraction. Thanks, Piccolo! Cheers, BFCSpecial Features:
- Classic Italian FoodtfclarkDined on 9/6/2014A really lovely restaurant. The service was very prompt and the atmosphere was formal bit not too formal. The food was exactly what we were looking for--classic Italian food done extremely well. My lasagna was excellent. And all at a reasonable price. Will be goo.g back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wish the food were betterBethVIPDined on 8/23/2014Except for the actual food, everything about this restaurant makes me want to say 'let's go back'. I had a fish dish that had good intentions but the fish was not fresh and the sauce was inadequate to the delicate tastes of the various fish. The ambience, service and price range was terrific for a neighborhood meal out. But, I will think about other places that serve Italian food before returning here. Maybe I just got the wrong dish.....I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 85 reviews are from the Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park reviews archive.
- Second try, disappointed againFoodieVIPDined on 7/7/2014My boyfriend and I visited them last fall for lunch. Although the food was good, we had an issue with their dishes and silverware being dirty - chunks of dried food particles were stuck on their dishes and silverware, and I couldn't even scrape it off with my nails. Since the food was okay, we decided to give the restaurant a second chance. When we went back this month, we still had dirty dishes, but the service was what stood out even more. As soon as my boyfriend and I said we didn't want to order any drinks, the waiter acted rudely and kept the attitude for the rest of the night. He didn't talk to us, didn't fill our water cups ever, and served us much after other groups that came in after us. We are very disappointed and won't return.
- KrugFamilyDined on 6/25/2014We had a small bday party dinner at Piccolo Mondo. We had never been there and were nicely surprised at how great the food was prepared and presented. We would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- great place to eatlovetoeatDined on 6/21/2014I found that the food was great and the staff very friendly. I was surprised that the bill for seven was not larger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cachtoDined on 6/13/2014The manager and staff were fabulous! The food was fantastic, especially the gluten-free offerings!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/12/2014Service was great! Food was really fresh, was my second time here and I still enjoyed it. I brought my mother back and she enjoyed it as well.Special Features:
- Mothers Day DiningtribwajDined on 5/4/2014We had a great time at the restaurant on Mother's day. While the service was not exceptional it did not affect our meals. The food was very good.Special Features:
- A good time was had by allErinDined on 5/2/2014Fun time, great veal and profiteroles! A little noisy, but good place for fun on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, ok foodbrodDined on 4/20/2014My friends and I went there for Easter lunch. We were 10 adults + 1 child. We decided to go there because none of the restaurants/brunch places in the loop were accepting that big of a reservation or were already booked out. The atmosphere is nice, service is nice and we enjoyed a REALLY long lunch (3+ hours) without being rushed out, which is a big plus since most restaurants are already presenting you the bill when you haven't even finished your entree nowadays. Food is good, but not outstanding. Nice little restaurant for a family lunch/dinner or an adult gathering.Special Features:
- the service was wonderfulchigalDined on 4/6/2014the service was wonderful and the food was absolutely delicious. will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot in Hyde ParkblueirisDined on 3/15/2014A group of us met here for dinner before a play at the University of Chicago. Since we didn't know everyone in our group well, we were not sure if anyone had dietary restrictions. The varied menu accommodated all our preferences and everyone said they enjoyed their meal. We just wish we had allowed enough time for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodBarryDined on 3/9/2014We dine at PM before going to the Court Theater. Everything we've tried has been quite good. Portions are ample, presentations are attractive and, most importantly, the food is well-prepared, well seasoned and often quite interesting. We've never hit a bad night where the chef was off and so was the food. I recently tried their seafood crepes and they were delicious. We walk away feeling we've had an excellent dinner at an affordable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our service was terrible.PersonVIPDined on 3/9/2014Our service was terrible. Our server told us nothing about the menu, and we had to call him to us to order or re-order, it was a special party, so I was a bit embarassed to his negligence.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousduofoodieDined on 2/23/2014The chicken Parmesan is sooo delicious! We had great time. The restaurant was fairly empty on a Sunday afternoon so we had no trouble seating our large group. The portions were so large we had no space for dessert but they looked good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have been a tad better...readerdebbieDined on 2/16/2014We were a group of 6 looking for a place after a theatre outing in Hyde Park . Place looked great --big windows, looking out on quiet streets. Parking was good, just across the street in a lot. However, they were short on wait staff--only two waiters for the whole place. We got ourselves ready for when the waiter came. It was kind of a long wait but we did fine--until it came to ordering wine where we got a an eye roll. It seemed to be some sort of bother. The first wine we ordered was out but we found two more bottles we liked. In general, food was good although I got an order that wasn't mine. It was tasty- and I ate it rather than wait again for another entre to be prepared. If I was in the area, I'd eat there again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than the othersebttbeVIPDined on 2/15/2014We have struggled to find good, not too expensive restaurants in Hyde Park, and discovered Piccolo Mando. Our party of four each ordered different things, and each was terrific. I highly recommend the seafood crepes! But all of the dishes were delicious. We dined early (don't know if that was a factor) but the service was excellent, and not at all rushed, even though we lingered over coffee. A great Hyde Park choice for before the theatre or any U of C event. ebtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterFT2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food was good but the table they put us was completely separate from the dining area. It was by the exit door. It seemed to be a waiting area in the past and they put 3 tables over there. If you have to eat in a area like that, it is better to eat home in your own kitchen. Disappointed.
- Hyde Park Gem!MicsalDined on 2/10/2014This place was wonderful for a first date! Everything was so elegantly done and the food was itself a topic of conversation. Would love to head back for a second date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...ExDCVIPDined on 2/2/2014The new focus seems to have undermined operations here. We're long-time customers and used to find Piccolo Mondo very reliable for a tasty continental meal in the neighborhood with friends. This time, with the relatively new tapas offerings and the bakery emphasis, quality seems to have taken a nosedrive. My canalon de atun were just bad - the wrappers doughy and tasteless, the filling a dry tasteless tuna salad. The dried tomatoes in my salad Piccolo Mondo didn't taste like anything recognizable, and some of the greens were too old and were starting to wilt. My husband said his chicken also was not good, and I was embarrassed to ask our friends how their meals were. Quite a comedown - I hope the kitchen improves.
- Great Dining Close to HomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/30/2014Just drove 7 minutes and was able to enjoy downtown quality Italian, presentation and service. We had a lovely time. If the lighting were dimmer, it would have been close to perfect. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable spot in Hyde ParkdkschruteDined on 1/17/2014The Friday night crowd seemed low-key, which I quite enjoyed. I thought the dinners/apps/tapas were reasonably priced, I thought desserts and after-dinner drinks were priced way over the top. Food was average, wine list underwhelming (not a ton of choice). Dessert was subpar. Service was excellent.
- Oasis in the Hyde Park DesertWrigleyFielderVIPDined on 1/10/2014Location is ideal-Across from the Museum of Science and Industry and a short hop from the 55th-56th-57th street Metra station. There is also a free parking lot across the street which had plenty of spaces on a winter Friday night if you have to drive. Dining room doesn't have booths or banquettes but decent table seating with tablecloths and less than1/2 full before 6pm. Very friendly, prompt service and able to be in and out in under an hour (without dessert) to get to an event at the Logan Center for the Arts. Salmon and asparagus was delicious. Only complaint was the underwhelming wine list. Not a single pinot noir, Italian or otherwise. Should not be that tough to offer another Mezzacorona. Nice, reasonably priced dinner for grown-ups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveDrJayDined on 12/31/2013We had an early New Years Eve dinner and it was just enough people in the restaurant when we were dining. It started to pick up as we finished around 8pm. The food was really good. I cleaned my plate and I haven't done that in a while. Dr. JSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatfuntravelerVIPDined on 12/11/2013The food was average and the service was excellent. Reasonable dinner dateI would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Hyde Park SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/6/2013I have lived in Hyde Park for 10 years and while I've heard of Piccolo Mondo, I had never been there before so I decided to try it out for a casual date. The wine list and food - we both had chicken dishes - were great. The ambience was nice and the prices were affordable for the portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only thing that is hardjoePDined on 11/30/2013The only thing that is hard is that the restaurant was full, for dinner, and so it was a little hard to hear one another at a table for four. But I don't think much can be done about that, since so many people like to go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great little ItalianmarkymarkDined on 11/28/2013This is a great little Italian spot. Right across the way from The Museum of Science and Industry, which you can see unobstructed, right outside of the window.Special Features: