Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park
1642 E. 56th Street
Chicago, IL 60637Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piccolomondo.us/
- Phone: 7736431106
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Every Day: 11:00AM to 4:00PM
Dinner: Every Day: 4:00PM to 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Italian
- Executive Chef: Norberto Zas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Pan y Vino Catering. www.panyvino.net
- Cross Street: Cornell
- Public Transit: From downtown Chicago, take the #6 bus to the S Hyde Park and 56th street stop near the Museum of Science and Industry. We are located one block to the west.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking located across from the restaurant. Enter on Cornell Ave, Left side.
A word from Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park
Piccolo Mondo is an Italian restaurant located in Hyde Park's Historic Landmark Windermere House. Piccolo Mondo has been in the same location since 1985, located across from the Museum of Science and Industry and next to University of Chicago. Hyde Parkers and intellectuals of University of Chicago are long time patrons of the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (8)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Disappointing ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014We haven't been to Piccolo Mondo for years. It has a new updated look, and the service was fine; but the food was very disappointing. In fact, the gnocchi was inedible. Our least critical friend liked his eggplant Parmesan; the spaghetti dish was passable but inspired. We will not return.
- What a treat!JudyVIPDined on 10/16/2014I am so glad I picked Piccolo Mondo for my solo lunch out last Wednesday while spending the day walking around U of Chicago. The atmosphere, food and service were first rate and the special: Pesce Tutti Mare was fantastic as was the hollowed out lemon stuffed with lemon sorbet for lunch. There was a very eclectic clientele including other tables for one and a view of the beautiful fall multi-colored trees between the restaurant and the Museum of Science and Industry.Special Features:
- Piccolo MondoBFC15VIPDined on 9/19/2014Great service, as always, and fine food. My friends and my family and I like it a lot--a great neighborhood attraction. Thanks, Piccolo! Cheers, BFCSpecial Features:
- Classic Italian FoodtfclarkDined on 9/6/2014A really lovely restaurant. The service was very prompt and the atmosphere was formal bit not too formal. The food was exactly what we were looking for--classic Italian food done extremely well. My lasagna was excellent. And all at a reasonable price. Will be goo.g back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wish the food were betterBethVIPDined on 8/23/2014Except for the actual food, everything about this restaurant makes me want to say 'let's go back'. I had a fish dish that had good intentions but the fish was not fresh and the sauce was inadequate to the delicate tastes of the various fish. The ambience, service and price range was terrific for a neighborhood meal out. But, I will think about other places that serve Italian food before returning here. Maybe I just got the wrong dish.....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second try, disappointed againFoodieVIPDined on 7/7/2014My boyfriend and I visited them last fall for lunch. Although the food was good, we had an issue with their dishes and silverware being dirty - chunks of dried food particles were stuck on their dishes and silverware, and I couldn't even scrape it off with my nails. Since the food was okay, we decided to give the restaurant a second chance. When we went back this month, we still had dirty dishes, but the service was what stood out even more. As soon as my boyfriend and I said we didn't want to order any drinks, the waiter acted rudely and kept the attitude for the rest of the night. He didn't talk to us, didn't fill our water cups ever, and served us much after other groups that came in after us. We are very disappointed and won't return.
- KrugFamilyDined on 6/25/2014We had a small bday party dinner at Piccolo Mondo. We had never been there and were nicely surprised at how great the food was prepared and presented. We would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- The following 83 reviews are from the Piccolo Mondo - Hyde Park reviews archive.
- great place to eatlovetoeatDined on 6/21/2014I found that the food was great and the staff very friendly. I was surprised that the bill for seven was not larger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cachtoDined on 6/13/2014The manager and staff were fabulous! The food was fantastic, especially the gluten-free offerings!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/12/2014Service was great! Food was really fresh, was my second time here and I still enjoyed it. I brought my mother back and she enjoyed it as well.Special Features:
- Mothers Day DiningtribwajDined on 5/4/2014We had a great time at the restaurant on Mother's day. While the service was not exceptional it did not affect our meals. The food was very good.Special Features:
- A good time was had by allErinDined on 5/2/2014Fun time, great veal and profiteroles! A little noisy, but good place for fun on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, ok foodbrodDined on 4/20/2014My friends and I went there for Easter lunch. We were 10 adults + 1 child. We decided to go there because none of the restaurants/brunch places in the loop were accepting that big of a reservation or were already booked out. The atmosphere is nice, service is nice and we enjoyed a REALLY long lunch (3+ hours) without being rushed out, which is a big plus since most restaurants are already presenting you the bill when you haven't even finished your entree nowadays. Food is good, but not outstanding. Nice little restaurant for a family lunch/dinner or an adult gathering.Special Features:
- the service was wonderfulchigalDined on 4/6/2014the service was wonderful and the food was absolutely delicious. will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot in Hyde ParkblueirisDined on 3/15/2014A group of us met here for dinner before a play at the University of Chicago. Since we didn't know everyone in our group well, we were not sure if anyone had dietary restrictions. The varied menu accommodated all our preferences and everyone said they enjoyed their meal. We just wish we had allowed enough time for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodBarryDined on 3/9/2014We dine at PM before going to the Court Theater. Everything we've tried has been quite good. Portions are ample, presentations are attractive and, most importantly, the food is well-prepared, well seasoned and often quite interesting. We've never hit a bad night where the chef was off and so was the food. I recently tried their seafood crepes and they were delicious. We walk away feeling we've had an excellent dinner at an affordable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our service was terrible.PersonVIPDined on 3/9/2014Our service was terrible. Our server told us nothing about the menu, and we had to call him to us to order or re-order, it was a special party, so I was a bit embarassed to his negligence.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousduofoodieDined on 2/23/2014The chicken Parmesan is sooo delicious! We had great time. The restaurant was fairly empty on a Sunday afternoon so we had no trouble seating our large group. The portions were so large we had no space for dessert but they looked good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have been a tad better...readerdebbieDined on 2/16/2014We were a group of 6 looking for a place after a theatre outing in Hyde Park . Place looked great --big windows, looking out on quiet streets. Parking was good, just across the street in a lot. However, they were short on wait staff--only two waiters for the whole place. We got ourselves ready for when the waiter came. It was kind of a long wait but we did fine--until it came to ordering wine where we got a an eye roll. It seemed to be some sort of bother. The first wine we ordered was out but we found two more bottles we liked. In general, food was good although I got an order that wasn't mine. It was tasty- and I ate it rather than wait again for another entre to be prepared. If I was in the area, I'd eat there again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than the othersebttbeVIPDined on 2/15/2014We have struggled to find good, not too expensive restaurants in Hyde Park, and discovered Piccolo Mando. Our party of four each ordered different things, and each was terrific. I highly recommend the seafood crepes! But all of the dishes were delicious. We dined early (don't know if that was a factor) but the service was excellent, and not at all rushed, even though we lingered over coffee. A great Hyde Park choice for before the theatre or any U of C event. ebtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterFT2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food was good but the table they put us was completely separate from the dining area. It was by the exit door. It seemed to be a waiting area in the past and they put 3 tables over there. If you have to eat in a area like that, it is better to eat home in your own kitchen. Disappointed.
- Hyde Park Gem!MicsalDined on 2/10/2014This place was wonderful for a first date! Everything was so elegantly done and the food was itself a topic of conversation. Would love to head back for a second date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...ExDCDined on 2/2/2014The new focus seems to have undermined operations here. We're long-time customers and used to find Piccolo Mondo very reliable for a tasty continental meal in the neighborhood with friends. This time, with the relatively new tapas offerings and the bakery emphasis, quality seems to have taken a nosedrive. My canalon de atun were just bad - the wrappers doughy and tasteless, the filling a dry tasteless tuna salad. The dried tomatoes in my salad Piccolo Mondo didn't taste like anything recognizable, and some of the greens were too old and were starting to wilt. My husband said his chicken also was not good, and I was embarrassed to ask our friends how their meals were. Quite a comedown - I hope the kitchen improves.
- Great Dining Close to HomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/30/2014Just drove 7 minutes and was able to enjoy downtown quality Italian, presentation and service. We had a lovely time. If the lighting were dimmer, it would have been close to perfect. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable spot in Hyde ParkdkschruteDined on 1/17/2014The Friday night crowd seemed low-key, which I quite enjoyed. I thought the dinners/apps/tapas were reasonably priced, I thought desserts and after-dinner drinks were priced way over the top. Food was average, wine list underwhelming (not a ton of choice). Dessert was subpar. Service was excellent.
- Oasis in the Hyde Park DesertWrigleyFielderDined on 1/10/2014Location is ideal-Across from the Museum of Science and Industry and a short hop from the 55th-56th-57th street Metra station. There is also a free parking lot across the street which had plenty of spaces on a winter Friday night if you have to drive. Dining room doesn't have booths or banquettes but decent table seating with tablecloths and less than1/2 full before 6pm. Very friendly, prompt service and able to be in and out in under an hour (without dessert) to get to an event at the Logan Center for the Arts. Salmon and asparagus was delicious. Only complaint was the underwhelming wine list. Not a single pinot noir, Italian or otherwise. Should not be that tough to offer another Mezzacorona. Nice, reasonably priced dinner for grown-ups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveDrJayDined on 12/31/2013We had an early New Years Eve dinner and it was just enough people in the restaurant when we were dining. It started to pick up as we finished around 8pm. The food was really good. I cleaned my plate and I haven't done that in a while. Dr. JSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatfuntravelerVIPDined on 12/11/2013The food was average and the service was excellent. Reasonable dinner dateI would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Hyde Park SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/6/2013I have lived in Hyde Park for 10 years and while I've heard of Piccolo Mondo, I had never been there before so I decided to try it out for a casual date. The wine list and food - we both had chicken dishes - were great. The ambience was nice and the prices were affordable for the portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only thing that is hardjoePDined on 11/30/2013The only thing that is hard is that the restaurant was full, for dinner, and so it was a little hard to hear one another at a table for four. But I don't think much can be done about that, since so many people like to go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great little ItalianmarkymarkDined on 11/28/2013This is a great little Italian spot. Right across the way from The Museum of Science and Industry, which you can see unobstructed, right outside of the window.Special Features:
- "Small World"EnjoythemealDined on 11/21/2013Piccolo Mondo is a good staple restaurant will not be disappointed. Waiters are gentlemen they are there to serve you your meal, not at your table every sec. they let you enjoy your meal and company How ever the place is small enought that you can always see your server, if he isn't waiting on someone else you can spot him sanding over by the bar standing at attention over seeing his tables. The food is good to very good can sometime be a bit saucy, I have asked them to use a light hand on the sauce and it's better for me. Piccolo Mondo is small, quaint, quiet, friendly and refreshing they are not going to make you feel rushed so go and enjoy the people you came with, a very good meal and your gentlemen waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchBusinessDeveloperDined on 10/24/2013This restaurant was nice and quiet and the atmosphere was bright. Lots of floor to ceiling windows. It was a very good spot to have a business lunch. We were able to carry on a conversation. The wait staff was prompt and the prices were reasonable for the quality of food and service. I've always had difficulty finding a suitable spot for business lunches in and around Hyde Park; I will be returning to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We did fax in our order forwagrahamDined on 10/21/2013We did fax in our order for 14, and were served in a nice fashion when we arrived. I brought a senior group, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Missed OpportunitySDM424Dined on 10/19/2013Made a reservation on OT for 9:45pm. Restaurant would not honor it. There was another party behind me that also did not get served. Bad form.
- Great placekencVIPDined on 10/19/2013Loved this place. Live in the northside and would definetly drive south for this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place for conversationeaterholicVIPDined on 10/19/2013Quiet, great service. The same waiters have been there for over 20 years. The food is good, in Italian-Argentine sprit. One of the nicer places in Hyde Park.Special Features:
- Perfect Italian Neighborhood GemLizSDined on 10/4/2013This was the perfect place to catch up with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile. Our waiter was very attentive and patient to our desire to chat with each other. The menu has a lot of options and is difficult to narrow down but we both enjoyed our selection and were excited to take home leftovers for the next days lunch! (On a side note, the food reheats quite well). The prices are very reasonable for the quality of food and service. This place is definitely worth a visit for delicious Italian food, I will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work on the AmbianceXYXYVIPDined on 10/3/2013I'm a Hyde Parker but it's been about 10 years since I've been to Piccolo Mondo. The recent news of the new bakery got me thinking I should give it another try because I remembered just mediocre food and a diner-like atmosphere last time around. The food was better this time but the ambiance still needs work. It would be nice to have another solid choice in Hyde Park, but I prefer the energy, ambiance and food at Pizza Capri at this point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost greatDeanDined on 9/11/2013This restaurant is a nice Hyde Park spot. I'd say that it's worth the cost of the check, but the restaurant is somewhat unmemorable. The service was average. The food was above average to very good. Overall, I'd say the restaurant is a solid neighborhood spot. However, with all the great restaurants in Chicago, I will likely not make the drive to the south side to dine there again. If I happen to be in the neighborhood I might try it again. The coconut sorbet was really fantastic and easily the highlight of my experience.Special Features: