4300 Bryant Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55409Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piccolompls.com/
- Phone: 6128278111x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday: closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Doug Flicker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room for parties up to twelve, front dining room can be reserved for up to 24.
- Private Party Contact: Adam Johnson 612-827-8111x
A word from Piccolo
Piccolo presents a modern approach to dining by creating dishes moderate in portion size which we feel enhances the dining experience by allowing you more variety in taste while eating healthier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Piccolo - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Piccolo reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (129)special occasion (103)neighborhood gem (96)romantic (55)notable wine list (44)hot spot (14)good for groups (7)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Small and cozy restaurant. Small portions, amazing taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does polished mean......OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Uncomfortable, mood-killing, patronizing? We were a group of two couples who were very excited to enjoy the Piccolo experience! It's rare that a server can totally destroy an experience but in this case, that did occur. She was cool, haughty, patronizing, and actually quite rude. Several questions regarding dishes were met with disdainful descriptions. One in our party when trying to decide between two dishes asked "which do you prefer?" The response was "does it really matter which one I like"? Seriously? When asked what a portion of a dish was; she responded briefly and added "like the menu describes". I'm not sure we could enjoy the food as much as we should have after essentially being humiliated several times.Special Features:
- Consistent WinnerIpaJoeVIPDined on 9/14/2014We always enjoy the creative and careful preparation of very fresh seasonal ingredients. The five-course tasting menu is a great value and the wines by the glass are thoughtfully selected and fairly priced. It's hard to be this consistently good in any business let alone the food business. Kudos to Chef Flicker and his team!Special Features:
- Great Tasting ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I am an avid home foodie, but this was my first real fine dining experience. We went specifically to have the tasting menu as it was a bucket-list item for me. The atmosphere of was great! Felt more like eating in someone's home than a restaurant, which made things feel less intimidating for a newbie like me. Loved walking through the kitchen to our table in the back room. The food was incredible and just the right portion size to enjoy all the courses and feel comfortably full. There was also an extensive wine list, though we didn't partake. I will say I couldn't imagine going without a reservation as the two dining spaces seem really small. Overall, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PiccoloMaryDined on 9/13/2014Meticulous service, food was exceptional in preparation and taste!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodporkdumplingDined on 9/7/2014Was in town for a couple of days and wanted to try something similar to Travail. I was not disappointed. Their menu changes monthly so I'll be back next time I'm in town. They serve small plates where you have 3 selections to chose from. The 5 course tasting was $56/person, which is a good deal compared to other places I've been to. First plate was cucumber terrine with monkfish liver mousse. 2nd Plate was grilled black mission fig on brioche. 3rd plate I had this ridiculously good chicken crepinette. 4th plate was a suckling pig and finally dessert was a milk chocolate cremeux with banana ice cream. Very creative farm to table type food. I highly recommend this place if you're a foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a huge fan, but I get it612WhereAreYouVIPDined on 9/4/2014I don't enjoy it here, but I understand the love with it. Very well presented dishes, but it just doesn't do 'it' for me. My date loved it, as she did the first two times she went, but I just don't enjoy it. Not sure why. I do think there are other places out there that I just think are better, and that may be the reason I devalue Piccolo a bit. But, that said, it is a fun experience - inventive, well plated, well tasting meal for a decent value.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantMinneapplefoodieDined on 8/28/2014I've never experience food with such tremendous flavor before visiting Piccolo. Certainly a one of a kind place that I would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastingTienDined on 8/25/2014My friends and I had the tasting. It was an incredible experience. Everyone who was working was knowledgeable, friendly, and efficient. It was like a dance, every moment was choreographed to perfection. And the food! My goodness, every plate was picture perfect, we wanted every bite to never end. The flavors were rich, robust, innovative and so fresh! It was such a incredible evening and I want to thank the chef and his staff, again, for what they do. I'll remember my night at Piccolo forever. And I'll come back when I visit Minneapolis again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with old friendsCarolVIPDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful prix fixe 5 course tasting menu. We tried at least 15 different items, & all but one was a great hit. Service was excellent as well. This is a small neighborhood restaurant, so do not expect elegance, just excellance.Special Features:
- Tasting menu a mustFHDinerVIPDined on 8/20/2014This restaurant is known for its small dishes but we didn't realize how small. We were reluctant to get the tasting menu of because we were afraid it would be too much food. We are glad we did because each dish was pretty small. The tasting menu of 5 courses was just enough food. The wine list was extensive with many wines offered by the glass.Special Features:
- Creative and tastychenx019Dined on 8/20/2014A gem in the Twin Cities ! The food is creative and tasty. A bit on the pricey side for the portion but you'll leave with a memorable experience.Special Features:
- WonderfulJenniferDined on 8/16/2014Every single course was delightful. Creative and delicious. Our server knew the menu well and was terrific. Looking forward to our next visit already!Special Features:
- I'm still hungrykjmjDined on 8/16/2014There were three of us dining, all of whom have dined at fine restaurants. The food flavors were fine, but not exceptional. The portions were ridiculously small for the amount being charged. It was definitely not worth the money. Three petite women went away hungry. I could never bring my husband. We even heard the people at the next table say they were starving after finishing their meal.
- Top notchAZtoMNDined on 8/15/2014Food was inventive, excellent and quality. Service impeccable and very intimate. PhenomenalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014We dined at Piccolo on Aug 15th for my husband's birthday and could not have had a better experience. We had reservations for 8:30, and while we sat in the front room it was not very noisy and it was fun to see outside. We ordered a variety of plates, all of which were great, but the corn soup, lamb mousse and the octopus were all outstanding, as well as both desserts. The service was professional, but also friendly, and I loved that they gave my husband a birthday card signed by all the staff. A wonderful evening at an always terrific restaurant - we will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a celebration!AnniDined on 8/15/2014I took my girl there to celebrate her finishing her masters and Zan our waiter was very nice and friendly. This was our second time being there though first in the summer. It was exciting to go there when the produce available is bountiful. We had a smattering of dishes that were all excellent, though we are still talking about the cold corn soup, which was perfectly balanced. No flavors overpowered anything each other, which I feel is a pitfall of many good but not great restaurants. We are thinking of Piccolo for future celebrations to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic EveningBillybarooDined on 8/15/2014This was a surprise night out for my wife's 65th birthday. When we parked the car I could see some reservation in her look, glancing at me and back at the front of the restaurant. The friendly greeting at the door set the tone for what was to come. An unbelievable evening of fine wine and refined cuisine. The service and presentation was exquisite. Her face lit up with her first taste and lasted for over two hours of the best dining experience we have ever shared. Our memories will last forever. Thanks to everyone at Piccolo, she will never forget her 65th Birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a bit priceyEimsaiyanVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food we shared was expertly presented and professionally prepared but was not profoundly remarkable given it cost. Our service was spectacular and the experience quite satisfying nonetheless.Special Features:
- Small plates are cute.OhIwillhavethatDined on 8/14/2014It's visually stunning, the small plate. But eat before you go, then our eyes and stomach will be happy. Please sir, may I have more?Special Features:
- Great food at perfect sizeEDuncanDined on 8/14/2014Superb meal of small plates. Flavors are distinct, wonderfully flavorful and sometimes unusual but without being over-thought or precious (c.f. Travail). Future choices are to either work one's way through the appealing menu or to return to favorites, including truffled scrambled eggs and swoon-worthy cold corn soup which captured the platonic essence of corn flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!TWL1Dined on 8/13/2014Beautiful presentation. Interesting food. Top notch service. I'm sure my 4 star ratings are like most people's 5 star; I'm just one that believes "perfect" is rarely observed! Over the years presentation of the food has become more important to me. Piccolo is the best I've seen in this respect. Creative and tasteful. Remember that this is a tasting menu and the courses are not huge... they are properly sized. With the server pacing the courses with a short respite between, it made for a lovely evening. Wait staff was knowledgeable, helpful and polite. The washroom even had cloth towels. We went on a Wednesday night. They were moderately busy, but not obnoxiously so. My guess is weekends are a bit more hectic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJBassettDined on 8/11/2014Front of house was exceptional. We were traveling and I knew I wanted to eat here. My 2 year old wasn't as excited and decided to make a fuss at the beginning of the meal. Everyone was really nice and accommodating as we found a solution. Kitchen wrecked shop. The timing of our tasting was on point and the delivery on par with the quality of each bite. I hope this can be a regular spot if we end up moving to Minneapolis. Thanks guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentrocknrollerVIPDined on 8/11/2014As always stellar service, but most importantly creative and special food. The five course is always the way to go.Special Features:
- Innovative CuisineDpod3VIPDined on 8/10/2014Small plates that are superbly crafted. Try the 5 course tasking menu.Special Features:
- Very creativeGrouseDined on 8/8/2014Doug Flicker creates the most interesting small plates. The food is simply outstanding. The staff is attentive, friendly and helpful. Their wine suggestions are excellent and they don't steer you to the most expensive bottles but wines that fit the food. In fact, we were steered to a very inexpensive bottle that fit perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Practically perfect in every wayHyggeligVIPDined on 8/7/2014Every time we go to Piccolo we tell ourselves we should go more often. The menu is packed with intriguing and creative dishes, and when each one arrives, it is even more beautiful and delicious than you imagined it would be. The summer menu is filled with colors, flavors, and textures which delight the eye and the palate. The service is unfailingly friendly and attentive, without being obsequious. The dining room is lovely, comfortable, and cozy. The five-course tasting menu is, IMHO, one of the best values in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining ExperienceMb0411VIPDined on 8/4/2014I consider myself a foodie, and love exploring new menus and restaurants. I am on the road traveling across the country all year, and I happened upon Piccolo. This restaurant was incredible. Each course was a memorable experience and each bite was amazing. It was so incredible that if I had to choose one restaurant to dine in as my last meal on earth... it would be this one! THANK YOU!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special TreatmentFamily3VIPDined on 7/26/2014Piccolo is a special place to celebrate. Made a note in my reservation that it was our anniversary. They treated us to a mini-treat in honor of the event and gave us a card signed by the staff. We have been there before for our anniversary and they always acknowledge the event. The evening was fabulous all the way around. Thanks and hope to see you soon.Special Features:
- excellent, unique foodbilly777Dined on 7/25/2014An affordable, slightly casual approach to fine dining. The tasting menu provided a broad range of whimsical modernist cuisine mixed with comfort classics. The wine list was brief, but full of quality selections at a variety of prices. Overall, this was a great dinner. I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenuFriendsmeetupDined on 7/24/2014We had the tasting menu for a milestone birthday and it was so fun, delicious, upscale without being full of itself, kind staff, and as weird as this sounds, cool bathroom! My friend has celiac disease and they even had a gluten free tasting menu so she could join in too. Great experience!Special Features:
- PiccoloAJ73Dined on 7/19/2014Had a great time - food was excellent. Just be aware the plates are small. Presentation was impeccable and the service was the right level of attention without hovering.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014The food is OK but over-priced. Ambient is good and the servers are friendly.Special Features:
- the art of simple cookingeatressDined on 7/12/2014A salad of slivers of heirloom tomato, a swipe of richly creamy burrata, fruity olive oil, nothing could speak of summer in a more seasonal way. Cool corn soup with tiny ball of hominy. Exquisite Italian cheeses. Corn Panna cotta with carmelized popcorn and berries. Only the meat courses were less than exceptional. The chef understands restraint, discipline and the art of simple cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste Explosion!DougVIPDined on 7/11/2014Wife and I both chose the chef's tasting menu which afforded us the opportunity to sample five delectable courses each. Portions are modest which enabled us to enjoy all selections without becoming overly sated. The menu offerings were beautifully presented by friendly, knowledgeable servers and all our choices were unusual and exquisitely flavorful. The chef is an artist and loves to create. The menu changes about every six weeks and so there is plenty of reasons for us to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysLonestarjewDined on 7/10/2014Great food, awesome service. Our all time favorite place for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in MinneapolisonepersonDined on 7/9/2014There is no better restaurant in Minneapolis. The creative, ever-changing menu is superb. Do not be put off by the multiple small dish format. There is no better way to be rewarded.Special Features:
- Perfect evening!Annmarie56Dined on 7/9/2014We wanted to go somewhere we had never gone to for our Anniversary dinner. Piccolo had gotten GREAT reviews, and we were not disappointed. It was intimate, and not at all stuffy. Located in a darling neighborhood. The staff was welcoming, and professional. We were asked if we had questions about the tasting menu. The food was delightful, as the courses were set before us, each one was described. The chef was in house , we were told that we could meet him. Given a pre dessert chocolate course as an acknowledgment of our Anniversary. Thanked by our very gracious server for celebrating with them. We both agreed it was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. We will be going back & recommending it to our friendsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Excellent food- the brown scrambled eggs and scallops were delicious- I like how the food is very outside the box, however it's not intimidating and is excellent for those with all different tastes. Would definitely recommend, service was good- a bit aloof but I prefer that over intrusive :) thanks for a great first visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceGozerDined on 7/3/2014A great place to have a couple of delectable morsels over a couple of hours. The food I great and offers a chance to try realing interesting dishes that are very well constructed. Just be conscious that the point at Piccolo is to taste the food, not just satiate your appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.