4300 Bryant Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55409Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piccolompls.com/
- Phone: 6128278111x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday: closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Doug Flicker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room for parties up to twelve, front dining room can be reserved for up to 24.
- Private Party Contact: Adam Johnson 612-827-8111x
A word from Piccolo
Piccolo presents a modern approach to dining by creating dishes moderate in portion size which we feel enhances the dining experience by allowing you more variety in taste while eating healthier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Piccolo - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Piccolo reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)special occasion (104)neighborhood gem (100)romantic (50)notable wine list (49)hot spot (15)good for groups (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Amazing food!!!DontbelievethehypeVIPDined on 10/23/2014Amazing food wonderful service a favorite of mine and my husbands for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectemweDined on 10/18/2014The tasting menu takes the guess work out of ordering, and flexibility with it means everyone at the table gets what they like. Server was very well informed, helpful and fun. Food was beautiful in every sense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Service was superb. Our waiter provided detailed explanations of the menu. His wine suggestion hit the mark. We arrived on time and our table for four was ready. We were there for 2.5 hours but it did not seem so. Our table chose the tasting menu. Portions are small but appropriately so with 5 choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okMeghanDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary, and were not impressed. Food was just ok for the price and amount of food.
- Great food in small packageeChuckVIPDined on 10/11/2014Tasting menu (5 small-ish courses - $56): very good. Dining room is small (12-15 tables), cozy. Good wine selection (per glass, carafes, bottles) for broad range of prices (glass of sparkling brut, Zin and pinot: excellent). Lived up to my expectations as a very good Twin City restaurant.Special Features:
- Wow!Hilltop83Dined on 10/10/2014Such a cute, little neighborhood place-casual, but food that could easily compete with the most upscale restaurants. We did the 5 course taster (the only way to go) plus added the cheese course to share. The food was to die for!!! Perefectly prepared, unique ingredients, beautiful presentation and served nicely by the staff. Our server helped us settle on the perfect bottle of wine to go with our selections. My ONLY compaint would be the portion sizes. We knew going in that they would be small and overall I have no problem with that. But these almost bordered on being a little skimpy. Another oz. of the soup or one/two more tortellini would not have ruined the effect and been just a bit more satisfying. Still, we will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food experienceeat4lifeDined on 10/9/2014With eclectic food choices, we had a difficult time trying to decide what we should eat. The decision was made just to keep returning to see what other offerings we could sample. Wonderful small plates in a small setting.Special Features:
- Think Exquisite, not SmallChuckDDined on 10/3/2014Doug Flicker named his restaurant Piccolo because of his focus on small, precisely technical dishes. But don't think "small" when you think about this restaurant; think "exquisite." The attention to technical precision, refinement of flavors, and beauty of presentation are his hallmarks. The portions are actually ideal for each dish: several memorable bites of perfectly balanced flavors, without there being so much that the palate becomes fatigued. The 5-course tasting menu is reasonably priced and is plenty of food. The wine list is just as exquisite as the food -- not overly expansive, but each selection carefully chosen to pair well with this style of food. The dining space is plain and congenial; the staff attentive and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uniqueopieDined on 10/3/2014a nice experience presentation and entrees small and not specialSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014The meal was the best I have had in of all my visits. Superb food, ambience, service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saltyFromOutOfTownDined on 9/28/2014The food was salty but presented beautifully. The place is nice and quite.
- Tasting menuRyanDined on 9/27/2014Piccolo is a great little spot, highly acclaimed by Anthony Bourdain and a James Beard nominee. The five course tasting menu is definitely the way to go as the a la carte option is more expensive and portions are the same size. The menu is seasonal with new items appearing regularly. I had an incredibly difficult time picking my favorite bite of the meal as all the courses were expertly crafted. Definitely a place to visit again.Special Features:
- More than happyWaazzoDined on 9/27/2014Wonderful experience! Staff was fun, food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014Not with the hype- overpriced, not flavorful and the Portions for everything is more like tapas. When we left after ordering starters, dinner and dessert we went to another resturant to eat. I believe in smaller portions but this for the price was terrible!
- Great experienceObsoletevDined on 9/22/2014Really a top class food experience. Excellent 5 course meal with great wine to compliment it. Hope to return soon.Special Features:
- Really great experiencegros0054Dined on 9/22/2014We went for our anniversary and had an awesome dining experience. The service was perfect and very personalized. The food was amazing - small portions so we did the tasting menu and enjoyed every course. Make reservations because it is a very small dining room; maybe 10 tables. Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Minneapolis restaurantEDuncanDined on 9/21/2014This is the perfect example of the advantages of quality over quantity. The food is so good, that if one were to have more the treasure would be lost. Piccolo demonstrates that one can be happily sated with tastes as opposed to volumes. The space is just right and the service is is attentive but not intrusive. A restaurant for grown-ups...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealGlennVIPDined on 9/20/2014Forget about ala carte at Piccolo... the experience is to go with the fixed price menu. Every single course is wonderful, a beautifully presented plate or bowl. Each course is a tasting amount, so although there are five courses, you needn't be rolled away from the table at the conclusion. A wonderful addition to the Minneapolis food scene.Special Features:
- SpectacularCuriousculinaryDined on 9/19/2014Small and cozy restaurant. Small portions, amazing taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does polished mean......KSD1Dined on 9/17/2014Uncomfortable, mood-killing, patronizing? We were a group of two couples who were very excited to enjoy the Piccolo experience! It's rare that a server can totally destroy an experience but in this case, that did occur. She was cool, haughty, patronizing, and actually quite rude. Several questions regarding dishes were met with disdainful descriptions. One in our party when trying to decide between two dishes asked "which do you prefer?" The response was "does it really matter which one I like"? Seriously? When asked what a portion of a dish was; she responded briefly and added "like the menu describes". I'm not sure we could enjoy the food as much as we should have after essentially being humiliated several times.Special Features:
- Consistent WinnerIpaJoeVIPDined on 9/14/2014We always enjoy the creative and careful preparation of very fresh seasonal ingredients. The five-course tasting menu is a great value and the wines by the glass are thoughtfully selected and fairly priced. It's hard to be this consistently good in any business let alone the food business. Kudos to Chef Flicker and his team!Special Features:
- Great Tasting ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I am an avid home foodie, but this was my first real fine dining experience. We went specifically to have the tasting menu as it was a bucket-list item for me. The atmosphere of was great! Felt more like eating in someone's home than a restaurant, which made things feel less intimidating for a newbie like me. Loved walking through the kitchen to our table in the back room. The food was incredible and just the right portion size to enjoy all the courses and feel comfortably full. There was also an extensive wine list, though we didn't partake. I will say I couldn't imagine going without a reservation as the two dining spaces seem really small. Overall, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PiccoloMaryDined on 9/13/2014Meticulous service, food was exceptional in preparation and taste!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodporkdumplingDined on 9/7/2014Was in town for a couple of days and wanted to try something similar to Travail. I was not disappointed. Their menu changes monthly so I'll be back next time I'm in town. They serve small plates where you have 3 selections to chose from. The 5 course tasting was $56/person, which is a good deal compared to other places I've been to. First plate was cucumber terrine with monkfish liver mousse. 2nd Plate was grilled black mission fig on brioche. 3rd plate I had this ridiculously good chicken crepinette. 4th plate was a suckling pig and finally dessert was a milk chocolate cremeux with banana ice cream. Very creative farm to table type food. I highly recommend this place if you're a foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a huge fan, but I get it612WhereAreYouVIPDined on 9/4/2014I don't enjoy it here, but I understand the love with it. Very well presented dishes, but it just doesn't do 'it' for me. My date loved it, as she did the first two times she went, but I just don't enjoy it. Not sure why. I do think there are other places out there that I just think are better, and that may be the reason I devalue Piccolo a bit. But, that said, it is a fun experience - inventive, well plated, well tasting meal for a decent value.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantMinneapplefoodieDined on 8/28/2014I've never experience food with such tremendous flavor before visiting Piccolo. Certainly a one of a kind place that I would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastingTienDined on 8/25/2014My friends and I had the tasting. It was an incredible experience. Everyone who was working was knowledgeable, friendly, and efficient. It was like a dance, every moment was choreographed to perfection. And the food! My goodness, every plate was picture perfect, we wanted every bite to never end. The flavors were rich, robust, innovative and so fresh! It was such a incredible evening and I want to thank the chef and his staff, again, for what they do. I'll remember my night at Piccolo forever. And I'll come back when I visit Minneapolis again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with old friendsCarolVIPDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful prix fixe 5 course tasting menu. We tried at least 15 different items, & all but one was a great hit. Service was excellent as well. This is a small neighborhood restaurant, so do not expect elegance, just excellance.Special Features:
- Tasting menu a mustFHDinerVIPDined on 8/20/2014This restaurant is known for its small dishes but we didn't realize how small. We were reluctant to get the tasting menu of because we were afraid it would be too much food. We are glad we did because each dish was pretty small. The tasting menu of 5 courses was just enough food. The wine list was extensive with many wines offered by the glass.Special Features:
- Creative and tastychenx019Dined on 8/20/2014A gem in the Twin Cities ! The food is creative and tasty. A bit on the pricey side for the portion but you'll leave with a memorable experience.Special Features:
- WonderfulJenniferDined on 8/16/2014Every single course was delightful. Creative and delicious. Our server knew the menu well and was terrific. Looking forward to our next visit already!Special Features:
- I'm still hungrykjmjDined on 8/16/2014There were three of us dining, all of whom have dined at fine restaurants. The food flavors were fine, but not exceptional. The portions were ridiculously small for the amount being charged. It was definitely not worth the money. Three petite women went away hungry. I could never bring my husband. We even heard the people at the next table say they were starving after finishing their meal.
- Top notchAZtoMNDined on 8/15/2014Food was inventive, excellent and quality. Service impeccable and very intimate. PhenomenalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014We dined at Piccolo on Aug 15th for my husband's birthday and could not have had a better experience. We had reservations for 8:30, and while we sat in the front room it was not very noisy and it was fun to see outside. We ordered a variety of plates, all of which were great, but the corn soup, lamb mousse and the octopus were all outstanding, as well as both desserts. The service was professional, but also friendly, and I loved that they gave my husband a birthday card signed by all the staff. A wonderful evening at an always terrific restaurant - we will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a celebration!AnniDined on 8/15/2014I took my girl there to celebrate her finishing her masters and Zan our waiter was very nice and friendly. This was our second time being there though first in the summer. It was exciting to go there when the produce available is bountiful. We had a smattering of dishes that were all excellent, though we are still talking about the cold corn soup, which was perfectly balanced. No flavors overpowered anything each other, which I feel is a pitfall of many good but not great restaurants. We are thinking of Piccolo for future celebrations to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic EveningBillybarooDined on 8/15/2014This was a surprise night out for my wife's 65th birthday. When we parked the car I could see some reservation in her look, glancing at me and back at the front of the restaurant. The friendly greeting at the door set the tone for what was to come. An unbelievable evening of fine wine and refined cuisine. The service and presentation was exquisite. Her face lit up with her first taste and lasted for over two hours of the best dining experience we have ever shared. Our memories will last forever. Thanks to everyone at Piccolo, she will never forget her 65th Birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a bit priceyEimsaiyanVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food we shared was expertly presented and professionally prepared but was not profoundly remarkable given it cost. Our service was spectacular and the experience quite satisfying nonetheless.Special Features:
- Small plates are cute.OhIwillhavethatDined on 8/14/2014It's visually stunning, the small plate. But eat before you go, then our eyes and stomach will be happy. Please sir, may I have more?Special Features:
- Great food at perfect sizeEDuncanDined on 8/14/2014Superb meal of small plates. Flavors are distinct, wonderfully flavorful and sometimes unusual but without being over-thought or precious (c.f. Travail). Future choices are to either work one's way through the appealing menu or to return to favorites, including truffled scrambled eggs and swoon-worthy cold corn soup which captured the platonic essence of corn flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!TWL1Dined on 8/13/2014Beautiful presentation. Interesting food. Top notch service. I'm sure my 4 star ratings are like most people's 5 star; I'm just one that believes "perfect" is rarely observed! Over the years presentation of the food has become more important to me. Piccolo is the best I've seen in this respect. Creative and tasteful. Remember that this is a tasting menu and the courses are not huge... they are properly sized. With the server pacing the courses with a short respite between, it made for a lovely evening. Wait staff was knowledgeable, helpful and polite. The washroom even had cloth towels. We went on a Wednesday night. They were moderately busy, but not obnoxiously so. My guess is weekends are a bit more hectic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.