15 Elm St.
New Canaan, CT 06840Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.picadorrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2039729999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30am -3pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Spanish
- Executive Chef: Corey Falcone, Sous Chef- Frank Barrese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party reservations can also be booked by contacting
We very much look forward to having you.
- Private Party Contact: Chef Corey Falcone 2035949599
- Special Events: Picador will be hosting a Beer Dinner on Tuesday, February 4th.
Reservations: Opentable or by contacting us directly
A word from Picador
Spanish tapas and full bar serving authentic Spanish, Italian and American cuisine in a warm and cozy setting on Elm Street in New Canaan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Picador - Best Restaurants in New Canaan ›
Picador reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (16)romantic (11)special occasion (8)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (3)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent TapaslroofDined on 8/22/2014We had 6 tapas dishes and five were excellent (filet tips, goat cheese, manchego cheese, scallops, brussel sprouts) and one was very good (chicken croquette). Service was very attentive. They even gave us a free dish because they thought other dishes were taking too long to come out (not true because we had two dishes on the table we were working on, but a sign of great customer service). Will definitely go back to try other dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaellaKartikDined on 8/5/2014We ordered the Paella for two, a little expensive but tasted excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates are great!pauloooDined on 7/26/2014Loved the variety of small plates. The calamari was great. The wine was quite enjoyable and the staff more than pleasant. Great place to have dinner locally.Special Features:
- Picador is a real gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Picador is a real gem. The menu is unique, the food is delicious and the restaurant is run by people who will remind you of what it is like to fall in love with a neighborhood restaurant. While the restaurant is on the smaller side and can get a bit noisy at times, that is what makes it great. If you want to remind yourself what it is like to experience unique dishes, prepared and served by people who care about your dining experience, Picador is for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas!sparkyDined on 7/26/2014Went with my daughter for tapas and wine. Lobster Salad tapa special was amazing! The goat cheese tapas and the Brussells sprouts tapas were equally delicious. They had a special rose wine that night that was perfect on a hot summer night. And our waitress was attentive and fun!Special Features:
- A real Spanish findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014the food was superb - probably the most genuinely spanish food I have had outside of New York. I felt like I was back in Spain! A gorgeous rose wine to wash it all down!Special Features:
- Great food2LDMDined on 7/19/2014We ordered only tapas (7 in all for 4 people). Each one was delicious and interesting. Very nice waitress, cozy atmosphere and yummy food!Special Features:
- TapasCarynshekDined on 7/19/2014Two of us shared five tapas. Plenty for both of us. The chef was easily able to accommodate dietary needs without sacrificing any flavor. The seafood tapas were particularly good.Special Features:
- Great food served with gracepattyDined on 7/12/2014Searching for somewhere new to celebrate an anniversary, I happened upon Picador on opentable and elsewhere. The reviews were fairly glowing (and too numerous to have been written by people affiliated with the restaurant!). We were greeted warmly and seated right on time for our reservation. The tapas (shrimp with ham and aioli; crispy brussel sprouts) were delicious, the beet salad dressed perfectly, the fish and steak entrees perfectly cooked. Add in a nice cocktail and some lovely rose and we had a great meal. We will definitely be back to enjoy the simple elegance of the dining room, the warm service and the delicious food.Special Features:
- Really Really GoodToughCookieDined on 7/10/2014Really a super very good restaurant. They do everything well, service, ambiance & the food (wonderful)! Please do yourself a favor & have the Scallop with chorizo & aioli flavors you can't believe prepared perfectly. Picador is a small giant sized Gem! We've been to Picador about four times every time a treat.Special Features:
- Good food, nice people!LBNCDined on 5/24/2014This was our second time dining at Picador and we will be back! Please try the scallops with the cauliflower puree...amazing! You will definitely enjoy!Special Features:
- Distinctive tapasChicagoDinerVIPDined on 5/19/2014I visit New Canaan often and have tried many of the restaurants. I think Picador ranks with the best; the dishes are composed with distinction. I recommend the salads, the mussels, the filet tips, the shrimp, the scallops, and especially the charcuterie. The restaurant is small, which adds to the charm, but be sure to book. The only negative to me was the TV at the bar--maybe this is viewed as a necessity in the local market? But it takes away charm from the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Place for Tapas!biancamartineDined on 5/7/2014Came here with a small group of friends to celebrate my birthday - the owner greeted and brought us to our table, our waiter Matteo was very attentive, and the food was amazing. It's on a beautiful street with lots of shops. Would definitely reccommend this place for a romantic evening out, or with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Anniversary!RobEvansDined on 5/6/2014My wife and I dined here for our wedding anniversary. When we arrived early on a Tuesday we were the only guests in the restaurant. The staff was very attentive and eager to please. We were able to speak directly with the chef regarding dishes and even sample sauces prior to ordering. We started with a calamari appetizer which turned out to be the best calamari I had ever had. Our entrees were excellent as well. After dinner we were not going to have any dessert. The staff had other plans for us and brought out some complementary sparkling Spanish wine and flan with a candle in it. I would highly recommend Picador. They could not have done anything better. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- The following 33 reviews are from the Picador reviews archive.
- Great Spanish FoodStamfordfoodieDined on 4/26/2014We went to Picador for the first time and were thrilled. The food was great! We never felt rushed. The bartender even Googled a drink for us that he hadn't heard of before. I would definitely. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from start to finishcdineDined on 4/17/2014We were greeted the moment we walked in and from then on everything was excellent; even thanked by name when we left. We had a number of tapas and a bottle of wine and everything we ate was prepared perfectly and tasted great. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Ambiance, Great FoodNCFoodieDined on 4/3/2014Our dinner at Picador was terrific. The food was great. Homemade Ceasar Salad, Poached Pear and Valdeon Cheese salad, classic Pallela and Steak were all flawlessly executed. The wine list, dominated by less known, Spanish Reds, was impressive, and the manager very knowledgeable. The service was friendly and attentive. The ambience was warm and welcoming. We'll definitely go again! Can be crowded so make a reservation on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/31/2014Too tired to cook on Monday? Head to Picador! Very welcoming and food is always excellent. Kate is a gem! She also provides wine making techniques on request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodStevek45VIPDined on 3/22/2014We really enjoyed dinner. We ordered almost the entire Tapas menu and the four of us split two entrees. Not one complaint. All were quite good. The back waiter needs to slow down a bit. Slammed a plate into my watch more than once. Outside of that, it was a lot of fun. One woman at the bar even started dancing a bit. It was a Shakira moment. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tapas and very friendlyPeterDined on 3/20/2014Excellent tapas and very friendly and efficient service. A very welcome addition to the local dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find. The owner makesTravelerVIPDined on 3/14/2014A great find. The owner makes you feel like a welcome guest in his home. The endive salad, branzino, and special desert with carmel, apples and peaches were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in Fairfield CountystevspiVIPDined on 3/8/2014Incredible flavors, dynamic menu. Awesome service, warm and attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish Flair in New CanaanherbiejazzDined on 3/7/2014What a nice evening we had at Picador. Delicious food and wines, a cozy and warm atmosphere, and very good service. A small gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceScottVIPDined on 2/21/2014My wife and I had a couple apps, a salad and the Chilean sea bass special. We finished with the flan. All where very tasty. We split it all and the quantity of food was perfect. The server was very friendly and the owner stop over to explain the flan's origin. The recipe was from his great grandmother. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy place with friendly waiterFoodieDined on 2/5/2014My friend and I had a great time having dinner there. It was a weekday night after the snow storm so the restaurant was not crowded and it was perfect for us to enjoy our conversation. The waiter was very friendly and nice. He was happy to give us his recommendations and they were all tasty. My favorite was paella. We shared paella and three tapas with wine and that was right amount of food for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Excellent service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/18/2014I have dined at Picador several times since its new owners took over last summer. Each time, I have received the very best in service. Ray is always at the door to greet guests with a warm smile. Mateo is a master at what he does: taking orders, making drinks, and delivering food with perfect portions and timing. Corey and Frankie do a tremendous job in the kitchen. I highly recommend the tiger shrimp tapas, New Zealand lamb, and, for dessert, the Pan Perdido. I always walk away from Picador feeling satisfied. Its small, intimate setting, not to mention the outstanding food and service, make dining at Picador an excellent experience, and if you haven't already, I highly recommend you make a reservation soon. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/18/2014First time at this restaurant. Food was delicious and service very attentive. Management friendly and concerned about diner experience. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Warm and friendly greetingSirdinealotVIPDined on 1/18/2014Warm and friendly greeting upon arrival, with a cozy interior. Waiter was knowledgeable and attentive and helped us to choose our tapas to start and recommend entrees. We choose the specials, one stuffed pork chop, 2 red snapper specials all which were delicious and enjoyed. The only dish that didn't work was the paella which was over cooked and dry, surprising since the restaurant is Spanish inspired. We enjoyed the scallops, shrimp tapas to start as well as beet salad which was fresh and plenty to share. We also enjoyed the cheese and figs platter also very generous portion. All in all a great dining experience!Special Features:
- An awesome surprise!JamiesonDined on 12/26/2013As a chef myself- I usually do research on a restaurant but this was a last minute dinner plan and it turned into the perfect evening. My boyfriend and I shared a bunch of tapas and appetizers- we had 5- and we could not decide which one we liked best. Every plate had great flavor profiles. We had the goat cheese and tomato wrapped in Serrano, the stuffed portobello, the albondigas, the steak tips in spicy sauce, and the scallops with cauliflower purée. Cheesecake was a perfect ending. All were amazing! The chef previously owned and ran Bella Luna- a neighborhood gem in Stamford. It was a favorite of mine and I'm so glad the chef found a new spot. Our server and bartender Matteo was amazing as well! So helpful throughout the night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodiscritahDined on 12/24/2013A small place with a great type of Food . Very Spanish tapas placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, fun, and cozy!MrsHDined on 12/20/2013The only disappointment was that the rest of my party chose to order their own main courses instead of sharing from the tapas part of the menu. Everything was wonderfully prepared and the service was attentive without being too intrusive. The ambiance is so friendly; and although it is quite small, we didn't feel like we were on top of the other diners. I'm also glad the menu was relatively brief, especially for the tapas selection - at Barcelona in Greenwich, the menu is unbearably long! I will definitely return...as there were quite a few items on the menu that looked very intriguing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasMjsctDined on 12/19/2013Was just what we were looking for: tasty small plates in a nice atmosphere, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tapas but LOUDtymelyronVIPDined on 12/5/2013enjoyed the food, several dishes including goat cheese, manchego, shrimp and mushroom tapas and the charcuterie, which left us pleasantly full; several specials were in addition to the menu; only bad part of the experience was the earsplitting noise, as the restaurant was full (Thursday night).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favoriteSandydenysDined on 11/23/2013Dining at Picador is like dining in the friendliest, cozy friend's home. Highly recommend it ! Food is wonderful and should not be missed. Chef Corey will make you anything you want. Matteo is full of drink surprises and Ray is a terrific host. Don't miss this in town gem.Special Features:
- Nice eveningHappyCustomerDined on 11/9/2013Some friends and I decided to try something different. We decided upon Picador. The new ownership and management has created a nice, friendly atmosphere with excellent food and service. This restaurant will be on our regular "go to" places. Thank you, Picador!Special Features:
- Perfect EveningJohnDined on 11/2/2013This is a very small restaurant with perfect ambiance and great food. The noise level is perfect for us. We like to know we are dining with others but don't enjoy shouting at each other. This place provides just the right amount of restaurant noise which adds to the overall feeling of having a good time. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fun, Friendly Foodie HangoutNCFoodieDined on 10/29/2013Its great to have another restaurant in New Canaan that delivers the high quality food and service that residents demand. The new chef is excellent, and very willing to vary items to accomodate his customers' wishes. The service is also excellent, timely and attentive. The only problem is that the new Picador has definitely been "discovered" and you now need a reservation on weekends. Still the staff can handle the crowd and it gives the place a more friendly, social ambiance. Definitely will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new spot on Elm StreetnelknollDined on 10/29/2013With the change in ownership/management at this small 24 seat restaurant, and the addition of chef Corey Falcone, this is a must try! Corey comes from the beloved Bella Luna in Stamford, CT, which sadly closed it's doors in 2012 after 12+ years of a successful run. Though Picador's Spanish tapas menu remains much the same, Corey is beginning to add his own flair of Italian and some classic steak dishes. His fried calamari was awesome (just how we remembered), the steaks cooked to perfection, and the salmon was delicious. Ray (manager/owner) made us feel extremely welcome in this friendly neighborhood spot, along with Mateo (bartender/waiter). I look forward to returning again and again to see how Corey expresses his culinary expertise.Special Features:
- Delicious!!!ToughCookieDined on 10/17/2013Had Dinner at the restaurant on Thursday really good decision. We shared the Beef w/hot cherry pepper tappas excellent! Had the Beef Tenderloin special absolutely delicious prepared properly it melted in your mouth. The restaurant is small & intimate decor very nice. We wish them success & will return. I think if you try it you'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious and theSheilaDined on 10/17/2013Food was delicious and the wait staff very good. We all loved it. Will definitely return.Special Features: