15 Elm St.
New Canaan, CT 06840Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.picadorrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (203) 972-9999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Saturday 11:30am -3pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Spanish
- Executive Chef: Frank Barrese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party reservations can also be booked by contacting
We very much look forward to having you.
- Private Party Contact: Chef Frank Barrese 2035949599
- Special Events: Picador will be hosting a Wine Dinner on Tuesday, October 14th.
Reservations: Opentable or by contacting us directly
A word from Picador
Spanish tapas and full bar serving authentic Spanish, Italian and American cuisine in a warm and cozy setting on Elm Street in New Canaan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Picador - Best Restaurants in New Canaan ›
Picador reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (12)notable wine list (8)good for groups (5)great for lunch (4)special occasion (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Fantastic - Loved the food, the drinks and serviceECCTDined on 11/22/2014This is a real gem. The food is outstanding, the drinks are good and strong, great ambiance and wonderful service. This is our favorite restaurant in New Canaan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal herePipersownDined on 11/10/2014Been here many times. Intimate setting, with many repeat diners. Owner Ray and staff are always attentive and the menu is varied. Don't see it on the menu, just ask. Good wine selection with many gems not on the list which the owner will suggest. We'll be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceAbnerDined on 11/7/2014Great place, great food , awesome service , would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tapas and wineMikenjenDined on 11/5/2014My husband and I split a bottle of wine and six tapas. Our waiter Mateo picked the dishes and brought them out over time. Good food, great service.Special Features:
- AmazingdscordatoDined on 11/4/2014Picador is an amazing gem of a restaurant. We were there on a Tuesday night and it was a spectacular meal. On top of the delicious meal the service was impeccable. Our server Kate was amazing, she had a wonderful suggestion for us to try the beef tips - on top of that she was taking care of the entire restaurant. Her service felt like we had three waiters - every time a glass was near empty she was there, every time a plate was finished it was whisked away. We will come back for the scrumptious food and hopefully we will be lucky enough to have Kate as a server. I suggest you make your reservation quickly as the small intimate space fills up quickly with eager diners every time I have had the pleasure of dining here. Enjoy!Special Features:
- TapasCve66Dined on 10/24/2014Did not have entree, though paella looked great at a distance. Had 7 tapas and enjoyed them all. The tapas each are generous portions and a mix makes a nice dinner. In view of party best were calamari , meatballs, sausage, and shrimp. Wine list interesting and a good spectrum of wines and prices. Will return for sure, as a number of other things on menu we are anxious to sampleSpecial Features:
- WonderfuldscordatoDined on 10/24/2014I had an amazing lunch here on Friday. Every bite was more delicious than the last. What a wonderful meal. Great waiter, he picked a few delightful cheeses for a great desert plate. I will be back again and again. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/18/2014Great place for a large group - sampling all the tapas is a really good way to experience the entire menuSpecial Features:
- StaffuvmparentVIPDined on 10/4/2014Although the staff was friendly and tried their best there just wasn't enough. Need at least two more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Picador with no bullMarvinmavenDined on 9/30/2014Cute little room with excellent Tapas especially the meatballs, gambas and veggies with goat cheese. Good wine selection. A definite find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Picador & the owner/host.MBEreviewerDined on 9/27/2014The slow-ish service is fine because one doesn't want to rush...& it's almost part of the charm of this tiny, cozy place... Owned by a very experienced restauranteur who wanted to downsize for, perhaps, his last place, it's all about personal warmth, delicious & somewhat creative food, slanted toward the owner's Spanish heritage. Meals can be happily composed of tapas, split entrees, charcuterie, or traditional meals, etc. Spanish(& other) wines are well-selected & delicious as well. We keep going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas in New CanaanLongshoreGolferDined on 9/12/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal in New Canaan on Friday night at Picador. The Tapas are amazing as is the wine list. There were a few main courses to select from but we decided to stick to the Tapas. Service was excellent and we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas!L040528Dined on 9/6/2014We ordered a few of the tapas plates and each one was excellent. We are looking forward to going back and trying some of the ones we didn't get a chance to have the first go round. The staff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different & delicious in New CanaanJudyDined on 9/2/2014In a town with many restaurants, this is the only one, although eclectic, with a Spanish influence. The service is very warm and friendly, the atmosphere is cozy and intimate, and, most of all, the food is extremely fresh and creatively and prepared with great care and sensitivity. Tapas, salads, entrees and desserts are all delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cbreviewcbreviewDined on 8/30/2014Our first visit and we truly enjoyed Picador. 6 of us dined at a table on the small patio outside. Staff could not have been more attentive from the moment we walked in. Cozy little restaurant, great vibe. We went with all Tapas and none disappointed; the scallops were a favorite. Beet salad was terrific. Tapas were timed well, (& we ordered 12-15). Server was terrific & took great care of us. A great experience overall, we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great new find - pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/29/2014Really great food - menu had so many things I wanted to try. Will definitely go back. Wish the wine list was more substantialSpecial Features:
- Excellent TapaslroofDined on 8/22/2014We had 6 tapas dishes and five were excellent (filet tips, goat cheese, manchego cheese, scallops, brussel sprouts) and one was very good (chicken croquette). Service was very attentive. They even gave us a free dish because they thought other dishes were taking too long to come out (not true because we had two dishes on the table we were working on, but a sign of great customer service). Will definitely go back to try other dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaellaKartikDined on 8/5/2014We ordered the Paella for two, a little expensive but tasted excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 45 reviews are from the Picador reviews archive.
- Small plates are great!pauloooDined on 7/26/2014Loved the variety of small plates. The calamari was great. The wine was quite enjoyable and the staff more than pleasant. Great place to have dinner locally.Special Features:
- Picador is a real gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Picador is a real gem. The menu is unique, the food is delicious and the restaurant is run by people who will remind you of what it is like to fall in love with a neighborhood restaurant. While the restaurant is on the smaller side and can get a bit noisy at times, that is what makes it great. If you want to remind yourself what it is like to experience unique dishes, prepared and served by people who care about your dining experience, Picador is for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas!sparkyDined on 7/26/2014Went with my daughter for tapas and wine. Lobster Salad tapa special was amazing! The goat cheese tapas and the Brussells sprouts tapas were equally delicious. They had a special rose wine that night that was perfect on a hot summer night. And our waitress was attentive and fun!Special Features:
- A real Spanish findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014the food was superb - probably the most genuinely spanish food I have had outside of New York. I felt like I was back in Spain! A gorgeous rose wine to wash it all down!Special Features:
- Great food2LDMDined on 7/19/2014We ordered only tapas (7 in all for 4 people). Each one was delicious and interesting. Very nice waitress, cozy atmosphere and yummy food!Special Features:
- TapasCarynshekDined on 7/19/2014Two of us shared five tapas. Plenty for both of us. The chef was easily able to accommodate dietary needs without sacrificing any flavor. The seafood tapas were particularly good.Special Features:
- Great food served with gracepattyDined on 7/12/2014Searching for somewhere new to celebrate an anniversary, I happened upon Picador on opentable and elsewhere. The reviews were fairly glowing (and too numerous to have been written by people affiliated with the restaurant!). We were greeted warmly and seated right on time for our reservation. The tapas (shrimp with ham and aioli; crispy brussel sprouts) were delicious, the beet salad dressed perfectly, the fish and steak entrees perfectly cooked. Add in a nice cocktail and some lovely rose and we had a great meal. We will definitely be back to enjoy the simple elegance of the dining room, the warm service and the delicious food.Special Features:
- Really Really GoodToughCookieDined on 7/10/2014Really a super very good restaurant. They do everything well, service, ambiance & the food (wonderful)! Please do yourself a favor & have the Scallop with chorizo & aioli flavors you can't believe prepared perfectly. Picador is a small giant sized Gem! We've been to Picador about four times every time a treat.Special Features:
- Good food, nice people!LBNCDined on 5/24/2014This was our second time dining at Picador and we will be back! Please try the scallops with the cauliflower puree...amazing! You will definitely enjoy!Special Features:
- Distinctive tapasChicagoDinerVIPDined on 5/19/2014I visit New Canaan often and have tried many of the restaurants. I think Picador ranks with the best; the dishes are composed with distinction. I recommend the salads, the mussels, the filet tips, the shrimp, the scallops, and especially the charcuterie. The restaurant is small, which adds to the charm, but be sure to book. The only negative to me was the TV at the bar--maybe this is viewed as a necessity in the local market? But it takes away charm from the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Place for Tapas!biancamartineDined on 5/7/2014Came here with a small group of friends to celebrate my birthday - the owner greeted and brought us to our table, our waiter Matteo was very attentive, and the food was amazing. It's on a beautiful street with lots of shops. Would definitely reccommend this place for a romantic evening out, or with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Anniversary!RobEvansDined on 5/6/2014My wife and I dined here for our wedding anniversary. When we arrived early on a Tuesday we were the only guests in the restaurant. The staff was very attentive and eager to please. We were able to speak directly with the chef regarding dishes and even sample sauces prior to ordering. We started with a calamari appetizer which turned out to be the best calamari I had ever had. Our entrees were excellent as well. After dinner we were not going to have any dessert. The staff had other plans for us and brought out some complementary sparkling Spanish wine and flan with a candle in it. I would highly recommend Picador. They could not have done anything better. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great Spanish FoodStamfordfoodieDined on 4/26/2014We went to Picador for the first time and were thrilled. The food was great! We never felt rushed. The bartender even Googled a drink for us that he hadn't heard of before. I would definitely. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from start to finishcdineDined on 4/17/2014We were greeted the moment we walked in and from then on everything was excellent; even thanked by name when we left. We had a number of tapas and a bottle of wine and everything we ate was prepared perfectly and tasted great. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Ambiance, Great FoodNCFoodieDined on 4/3/2014Our dinner at Picador was terrific. The food was great. Homemade Ceasar Salad, Poached Pear and Valdeon Cheese salad, classic Pallela and Steak were all flawlessly executed. The wine list, dominated by less known, Spanish Reds, was impressive, and the manager very knowledgeable. The service was friendly and attentive. The ambience was warm and welcoming. We'll definitely go again! Can be crowded so make a reservation on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/31/2014Too tired to cook on Monday? Head to Picador! Very welcoming and food is always excellent. Kate is a gem! She also provides wine making techniques on request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodStevek45VIPDined on 3/22/2014We really enjoyed dinner. We ordered almost the entire Tapas menu and the four of us split two entrees. Not one complaint. All were quite good. The back waiter needs to slow down a bit. Slammed a plate into my watch more than once. Outside of that, it was a lot of fun. One woman at the bar even started dancing a bit. It was a Shakira moment. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tapas and very friendlyPeterDined on 3/20/2014Excellent tapas and very friendly and efficient service. A very welcome addition to the local dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find. The owner makesTravelerVIPDined on 3/14/2014A great find. The owner makes you feel like a welcome guest in his home. The endive salad, branzino, and special desert with carmel, apples and peaches were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in Fairfield CountystevspiVIPDined on 3/8/2014Incredible flavors, dynamic menu. Awesome service, warm and attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish Flair in New CanaanherbiejazzDined on 3/7/2014What a nice evening we had at Picador. Delicious food and wines, a cozy and warm atmosphere, and very good service. A small gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceScottVIPDined on 2/21/2014My wife and I had a couple apps, a salad and the Chilean sea bass special. We finished with the flan. All where very tasty. We split it all and the quantity of food was perfect. The server was very friendly and the owner stop over to explain the flan's origin. The recipe was from his great grandmother. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.