659 Columbus Ave
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.piazzapellegrini.com/
- Phone: 4153977355
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gino Biradelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer customized menu for any size party.
A word from Piazza Pellegrini
Let us transport you to Italia. North Beach's Italian heritage is delightfully expressed at Piazza Pellegrini. Owner Dario is almost always on hand to create, along with his staff, a warm and convivial atmosphere. Watch our chef prepare elegant cuisine right before your eyes. At Piazza Pellegrini, we understand that exquisite food is not only achieved by using the freshest ingredients but by capturing the essence of the source through authentic recipes. Try some of our many house made pasta dishes including Dungeness crab ravioli, fresh papardelle, and ricotta gnocchi. Enjoy traditional Italian foods in our contemporary Italian interior complete with al fresco dining and a welcoming wine bar. Visit us near Washington Square in North Beach and taste the difference!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Piazza Pellegrini reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (16)fit for foodies (12)romantic (9)special occasion (6)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Authentic Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Homemade pasta, great selection of dishes, Italian speaking waiters, great service, large wine list, great North Beach location---this restaurant has it all! Highly recommend it to visitors and locals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveditDined on 8/17/2014We were only in San Francisco for 3 days and we had dinner there twice. It was a favorite new find. Roasted chicken was great as was the pasta. Food and service were outstanding. We did not eat outside it was always full. Would recommend to anyone visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaiterGoodandPlentyDined on 8/8/2014our waiter was personable and fun to talk with. We did not feel rushed. The online reservation was excellent--we felt you were waiting for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingdesireeVIPDined on 8/8/2014Two of us ordered the spaghetti with clams which was VERY disappointing; very few clams, very watery, insipid sauce. The spaghetti with meatballs was equally ordinary. We all remembered the food to be better. Perhaps they have a new chef. Will not likely be back.
- Fun and Delicious!ShellDined on 6/24/2014First time here, and we had such a great time! Service was excellent and the food was delicious. Pasta and chicken dishes were well prepared, and the insulate caprese appetizer was perfect. House red was the perfect accompaniment to the meal.Special Features:
- Bland when bland was neededkpottersfVIPDined on 6/19/2014We had a guest in town with dietary restrictions. We provided her with several options for an Italian dinner and she chose Piazza Pellegrini. She picked the Cappellini con Pomodorini and was very pleased with her meal. Success! My husband had the special Fettucine with salmon and argula. I had the Dungeness Crab homemade ravioli. Both our dinners lacked seasoning and were quite bland. I had expected lump crab in the ravioli but it appeared to be chopped, mixed with a binder and was dry. The deserts: Gelati e Sorbetti, Tiramisu and the Torta Caprese (flourless chocolate cake) were all standouts. The Pellegrini may be good a good bet if you need to accommodate a wide range of tastes, but not if you prefer a more flavorful meal.
- Lovely Italian CourtesySolarMoxieDined on 6/14/2014We were treated like royalty & doted on, as is the norm in authentic Italian restaurants... sitting outside is a delight, food was spectacular, & wine was great. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- A reservation means nothingFloridaRocketVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food was great. The service good as well. Great location. My wife and I had scouted a place for a romantic dinner and made a reservation on Open Table. We then went by the place around 2pm and asked if we could have a table by the window for the evening. We were told they would hold it for us. We arrived 15 minutes early an watched then give our table to two others. I asked and was told "that couple took your table". I replied no, you gave that couple our table. No other tables for two were available so we waited at the bar. After 45 minutes they offered a large table for 8 in the middle of the place but said we would have to share with other couples. The food was good, the service good, but they did not honor our reservation.
- Delicious Italian FoodLuvsGoodEatsDined on 5/23/2014I was looking for an authentic Italian restaurant in North Beach and found it! The wait staff was friendly and helpful in getting food out quickly for my kids! My husband and I shared a delicious farfale with smoked salmon pasta. Both of my kids enjoyed a smaller portion of pasta with arrabiata sauce! All was so good. I felt like I was in Italy!!! I would definitely eat their again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss this gem!Buddy75Dined on 5/19/2014Great food, service, wine, and atmosphere in this neighbourhood gemSpecial Features:
- North Beach restaurant fell SouthTaddyVIPDined on 5/15/2014We selected this restaurant for a special occasion/romantic dinner, based on the reviews, and nothing was special about this restaurant. The bottle of wine we selected was two years older than the vintage listed on the menu; the bread was hard, the olive oil tasted off; and the dinners were overpriced for the quality and quantity of food you should receive at a North Beach Italian restaurant. It was pretty disappointing and we would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Delicious food with a friendly staff with a nice mix of locals and visitorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014Love this place - worth trekking in from the East Bay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite in North BeachSeadoorider68Dined on 5/10/2014We love to go here and eat before we go down to Cobbs for comedy. The crab cioppino is VERY good. The 2 person tables are a bit small, but cozy. Quite a bit of traffic on the street, but fun to people watch.Special Features:
- locals meet touristsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2014the crowd is always a mix here - locals and tourists - great Italian food with wonderful service - we are never disappointed and when the weather is nice lovely sidewalk dining and always good people watchingSpecial Features:
- Little Italy at It's Best!DianDined on 5/2/2014Authentic, unpretentious, fabulous food, great service, and the real deal!Special Features:
- Better Places in North BeachJazminericeVIPDined on 5/2/2014The worst oldest calamari I have ever eaten. Tasted like floured and fried rubber bands. Pasta cannelloni was tasteless and mush, the pizza was soggy bottom crust. Walk further down the street and a bunch or busier and probably better restaurants.
- The following 206 reviews are from the Piazza Pellegrini reviews archive.
- Feels like FamilyAngieEatsVIPDined on 4/28/2014I first stumbled on Piazza Pelligrini 4 years ago while traveling for business to San Francisco. With a colleague, we sat at the bar for a quick dinner. The owner, Dario, began talking to us and found out we were from Cincinnati. The next time we were in San Francisco (about 6 months later), we went back because the food was so good and the service was great. When we walked in, Dario recognized us and immediately asked how Cincinnati was! To say we were impressed was an understatement. Every time we are in San Francisco we stop in! Even if it is to pick up their balsamic vinegar to bring back home! Thanks for always making us feel welcome and like we are at home while on the road :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un bon diner italienVirginie87Dined on 4/19/2014Nous avons passé une bonne soirée autour de bons plats italiens.
- Enjoyable casual SF dinnerPasadenaDined on 4/11/2014We enjoyed classic Italian food. The mushroom bruschetta was especially good. Each of our pastas was well prepared and flavorful. There are a lot of Italian restaurants in this neighborhood and I would like to try them all.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceDougDined on 4/5/2014Fun location, service was awesome and food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's like being in ItalyJamesVIPDined on 3/28/2014This is one of our favorites restaurants in the San Francisco area. We ALWAYS make it a point to enjoy an incredible meal every trip. The gnocchi is amazing - creamy Gorgonzola sauce. Amazing! The beef Ragu is outstanding and the desserts, delictible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014A fun neighborhood restaurant. A healthy portion of veal piccata with nice sides was very tasty. The gnocchi was tender and tasty and the pizza had a nice crisp crust. Definitely family friendly with attentive servers and a comfortable cozy atmosphere.Special Features:
- DisappointedParisiDined on 3/23/2014Was recommended the restaurant by a friend. The lasagna and crab cakes were nice but the pizza was far too oily and not enjoyable. The service was excellent apart from us receiving our main courses almost as soon as our starters were cleared so we felt a bit rushed.Special Features:
- not for pizzadesireeVIPDined on 3/15/2014We have been to this restaurant before and the pasta is generally good. We decided to order pizza this time. Not recommended, particularly if you like thin crust pizza.Special Features:
- authentic.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant, food and service. The staff was attentive to our needs. Accomadating us as we arrived ahour early. The wine was extraordinarily supberb. Looking forward to frequently dinning again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spot. Sit insideGrantDined on 3/15/2014Great little spot. Sit inside or on the sidewalk. Good food, good atmosphere, good waiter...what's not to like about great Italian food on Columbus street in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Lost CoupleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014Newly engaged my fiance' and I wanted to have a nice Italian dinner. When we were on the bus several of San Fran locals highly recommend Pellegrini as a evening out choice and Pellegrini did not disappoint. The hardest part was where we were dropped off the number streets at one intersection was incredible and was insanely hard to find. We took a cab to Pellegrini and once we were there our server who was also on the phone with us for over 15 minutes greeted us outside and was extremely apologetic. He made up for the miscommunication by giving my fiance' and I outstanding customer service!!! Excellent food and wonder seating. Perfect restaurant with that special someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuscany in SFLollyDined on 2/21/2014I first found Piazza Pellegrini right after returning from a trip to Florence, Italy. After wandering around North Beach looking for a restaurant, I realized most "Italian" restaurants have an Americanized menu. Piazza Pellegrini has a true Italian menu and is always great. They have an awesome Portabella mushrooms on polenta Antipasti and good Italian wine list. Even the service is true Italian, never rushed in order to turn the tables.Special Features:
- Searching a good PizzaRoseVIPDined on 2/17/2014We wanted a great real Italian style pizza and found it at Piazza Pellegrini! We would come back again for a great pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere!!resomnabulistVIPDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I had our first date here and we always try to eat here whenever we are in SF. The sea bass and the dish with the award winning meatballs are especially noteworthy. The service is impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, reasonable pricekashuDined on 1/16/2014Nice neighbourhood restaurant in North Beach. Full bar is not available, but the wines were more than adequate. Had crab cakes (in season appetizer) that were awesome, the pasta quite tasty and the salad was a little heavy on the greens, less on the beets and cheese but very palatable. Good service, kind and attentive, over all a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in SFtalbDined on 1/3/2014This place is not to be missed our favorite meal of the trip!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been better!DessertfirstVIPDined on 12/31/2013Everything about our experience was divine. We sat outside, along the sidewalk, and got to watch the New Years Eve revelers walking to their destinations. Very colorful! The heat lamps can get too warm, but they easily can turn them off if needed. Started with delicious bread, ordered a mid-priced wine, salad mista, risotto and fettuccine dishes, and were way too stuffed for dessert. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's DinnerHowieDined on 12/31/2013Reserved a table 12/31 with no problem. A small lovely decorated place with very attentive and friendly staff. All catered to our needs and we had delicious veal park. A great location allowing us to go from hotel to eat and then to our fun evening, all on Columbus. Great coffee and pastries the next morning at a close pastry place on the way to St.Peter's and Paul. All in all a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMaryDined on 12/30/2013Great Italian ambiance and good food. Nice restaurant !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite SF food traditionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013Every Christmas we take our kids up to SF for a couple of days, and always have dinner at Pelligrini. Somehow, the manager always remembers us and we feel so special! Great food, friendly, quaint atmosphere. Fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Find!LovetoeatgoodDined on 12/24/2013We were in town over the Christmas holiday's playing tourist with our son- we had dinner at Piazza Pellegrini on Christmas Eve and enjoyed it so much we had dinner again on Christmas night! ( They were kind enough to squeeze us in even though they were jammed with reservation-) Excellent rustic food, friendly, warm service and a reasonable price point- if we lived in San Francisco, we would be back often! A delightfully good find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dario and staff are welcomingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/18/2013Dario and staff are welcoming hosts. The food is delicious, service impeccable, atmosphere delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little Italian bistroDanahaha0Dined on 11/6/2013We split the Cioppino which was pretty good. It was our first time having cioppino so we weren't sure about what it was. There was lots of seafood in it. We also split a salad which was very good. The waiter seemed a little affected which was a tad offputting. We did enjoy our food but probably wouldn't visit again.Special Features: