Piazza Italia Durham
905 West Main Street - Ste 18A
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Piazza Italia Durham
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.piazzaitalia.us/
- Phone: 9199567360
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Piazza Italia Durham
Piazza Italia is located in the historic Brightleaf Square District, downtown Durham, Piazza Italia Restaurant offers distinctive regional Italian cuisine featuring fresh and seasonal ingredients. Menu highlights include fresh pastas, an extraordinary seafood dishes and gelato prepared daily in-house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Piazza Italia Durham reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (6)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Almost perfectjustaregularguyDined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent. Al of my party's meals were spot on. The wine list was very short and no option listed to purchase a bottle. Service was somewhat knowledgeable. My wife asked what sauce to pair with shrimp and the server only offered Alfredo but didn't go into any detail why. I wouldn't be confident they could adequately pair a wine with the meal. Ambience was casual. Looks like a business place but is biz casual in reality. Some patrons were casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be....WineNdineVIPDined on 8/16/2014This meal was very disappointing! What happened? The Filet of Sole used to be melt in your mouth delicious. Now covered in thick breeding and the fish itself was dried out. Their lasagne used to be awesome. This time I can say that I have had much better store bought.
- Much improved serviceChinsmomDined on 7/11/2014The last time we were there the service was awful. MUCH IMPROVED THIS TIME. There were many more wait staff on duty and everything flowed well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made a first date great!HisSonDined on 6/28/2014I booked a reservation for a first date. I felt quite hesitant to do so because everyone tells you to do a hit-or-miss first date. But this lady was very special and the entire experience at Piazza Italia made a wonderful evening even better. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food = good, but "out of" ...MLynnDined on 6/26/2014A group of 4 went to Piazza Italia before a show and, having had slow service another time, we were there in plenty of time. We all enjoyed our entrees -- to the person. The service was paced fine but all throughout the meal ... "we're sorry, we are out of ..." Prosecco? At an Italian restaurant? Of the 3 gelato dishes ordered for dessert, 2 of them were not actually available. And decaf coffee? That seemed to be the oddest one of all. When we left at about 7:15 there was one other table occupied. Not sure it will last at this rate, and it's hard to understand. We were there in February on a Friday and it was jammed.Special Features:
- I liked itBigHDined on 6/25/2014Salad was fresh and crisp. I had the Lasagne and really enjoyed it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceJustinDined on 6/8/2014We went to try the four course price fixe menu that was being offered for triangle restaurant week. The food was very good, nothing over the top or extra fancy, just real solid classic Italian food. I had the veal Parmesan and it was fantastic. The appetizers, salad, and dessert were all very good. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the fettuccine alfredo, I felt it was a little bland. The staff was very professional and service was excellent. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 260 reviews are from the Piazza Italia Durham reviews archive.
- Love the fresh pasta and service!AnginVADined on 4/7/2014Great location at Brightleaf square. Wonderfully delicious fresh pasta with lots of vegetarian options! I enjoy taking friends and family here for celebrations!Special Features:
- Good pre-show dining spotDeza1249Dined on 3/13/2014We tried this place prior to a recent DPAC show. It was about a 10 minute walk from the North parking garage. They give a 20% discount if you show your DPAC tickets. The salads were very good and the sea bass looked very appetizing. The fresh pasta was a little heavy and the pomodoro sauce was a little much. My chicken parm was very generous. All in all it was a good meal for a good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stress free diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014Went to this restaurant before the theater. Service was great, food was good and bit us out in plenty of time. Enjoyable and definitely recommend especially if you are looking for a place to have a pleasant meal score attending the theaterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service; nice atmosphere;OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2014Good service; nice atmosphere; mediocre food; decent wine choices but not great.
- skip itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014Not impressed with this place at all. Food was bland, dining area is too open and cold and the prices are high. I can make better Italian food with my microwave.
- We had lunch on a SaturdayNeuroMitchVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had lunch on a Saturday with a large group of adults and kids. The restaurant staff was very accommodating; the food was excellent; portions large; prices good. Nice and relaxed atmosphere. Terrific Gelato.Special Features:
- Great ServiceDurhamDInerDined on 2/14/2014Great food and great service. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Valentine Day experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Piazza is an awesome restuarant with great service, but as with many other restuarants Valentine Day is a busy time where food quality and hostess/waitstaff service dip tremendously. My previous experiences at Piazza have been wonderful. This Valentine Day experience has not lowered my perception of the restuarant, but I will not ever go back on 2/14. I look forward to the the food and wait staff to be back to the normal high quality level I have come to expect on my next visit.Special Features:
- Great experienceCMBurnsDined on 2/14/2014Made reservation, sat quickly, ordered app, main, desert, drinks. Great meal and good guy server. Valentine's Day. Good crowd. No complaints. WIll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glass (yes, glass) in appetizer.CheesePleaseDined on 2/14/2014We ordered the fried ravioli for the appetizer off the Gold menu; unluckily for my date, he found a piece of glass in his ravioli after taking a bite. He called over a waitress to let her know what had happened and to ask her to let the kitchen know in case something had broken. The waitress didn't come back to follow up with us, not letting us know whether or not the source of glass had been found or if it was being looked into, which made me rather nervous for the other diners. Nothing was comped, and there was no apology offered by any level of management (other than the waitress). For an establishment specializing in serving food, serving glass to a customer seemed not to matter at all. Very disappointed. Will not be returning.
- Valentine's Day, Never AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Have eaten at Piazza Italia 3 times previously with good experiences. However, on Valentine's Day they were busy (as expected). I don't mind that our food took a while but the service was horrendous. Our server came over 20 minutes after we sat down for the 1st time and didn't even introduce herself, opened with "so have you decided what you want?" We hadn't even been given a wine list. I understand you're busy, but a consistent check in and the occasional apology would bring this experience closer to 4 stars
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014I came here on Valentines Day hoping to have a nice dinner. We were given a "Special menu" that we were told was supposed to speed up service. Ordering off the regular menu would cause delays. I was unimpressed with the special menu and shocked by the amount of time it took for our food to arrive. Our main course did not arrive until over an hour after we ordered and it was luke warm. The restaurant was fairly busy but there were still multiple empty tables. I am not sure if our food took so long because the kitchen was backed up or our waiter was slow. My water glass was never refilled until I pulled someone aside and asked for it to be refilled. In addition my husband had to go to the bar to order his beer.
- We've been happy the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/14/2014We've been happy the last two times we have eaten there. Valentine's night was busy and loud but still nice. Other nights it is quiet and romantic. Food and service is good, nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service good, kitchen SLOWMLynnDined on 2/14/2014We arrived at 6 PM needing to leave by 7:30 for a theater performance. Unfortunately is was Valentine's Day - despite being there before 90% of the eventual crowd, our food came almost an hour after arrival/ordering. It was well-prepared and really good but we had to hurry, no time to order desert, etc. Even the waiter said "I think you should call the management and tell them what happened. Sorry you had to rush." I'd go back, but would not do so if I needed to be somewhere in any reason time after eating there.Special Features:
- Great food, poor servicevgargDined on 2/14/2014As always, the food was great! We frequent this restaurant often and always enjoy our food. Service, however, is very dicey - sometimes fantastic, sometimes horrible. It is typically pretty quite in here and I think that they struggled with the larger amount of people on Valentine's Day. We have yet to figure out what the pattern is so we go in with an open mind, knowing that regardless of the service, our meal will be delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Plan for Valentine's?BenKDined on 2/14/2014The food at Piazza Italia was very good but they seemed unprepared for the Valentine's Day crowds. The wait staff seemed over-stretched and, while pleasant, were slow to respond and sometimes bickered with each other. The food took over an hour to arrive - and we got there at 5:30. I can't imagine what it as like at 7:30 (when we left - not having had time for dessert). The dining room is high ceilinged and has the exposed wood of Brightleaf while adding touches of Italy. It was lovely and felt romantic. But the ambiance, like the quality of the meal, was overshadowed by the wait time/experience. We'll go again when it isn't a holiday to determine if this visit was an anomaly or the standard experience.Special Features:
- A FavoriteChelleyDined on 2/8/2014We always enjoy eating here. The menu offers many dishes we love. Piazza Italia is one of the places we think of when dining with friends.Special Features:
- OK experience...all arounddurhamlocalVIPDined on 2/1/2014We have been to Piazza Italia several times and it is consistently OK. Food, service, and bar across the board. The prices are on the high side given the mediocre experience. Not a place to avoid if your in the area, but not one to plan an evening around.
- Crusted Salmon and veal stuffedlocaldinerDined on 1/31/2014Crusted Salmon and veal stuffed pasta were quite good. Wine room has nice ambience. There were very few patrons, lots of servers/staff, but service wasn't very snappy. Server was nice but clearly inexperienced. Wine list had lots of Italian wines, but no descriptions. Our server didn't know anything about them, nor did the person she sent over. Eventually the sommelier came over & we had a conversation. All could have been avoided with some descriptions of the wines on the menu. The list of gelatos on the dessert menu had little overlap with what they actually had that night (which the server had to go write down herself.) The gelato was made in-house and quite good. All-in-all it didn't feel like a well-run place.
- Wonderful service and locationCarryMDined on 1/26/2014Fabulous bread and attentive waitstaff. We tried the chicken Marsala and chicken Parmesan. Both were tasty but not overly so. The setting is nice, and would be a great outdoor location during warmer weather.Special Features:
- Solid choice but nothing specialdurhamfoodsDined on 1/25/2014Our service started off horribly but the manager was great in making sure that we were treated very well for the rest of the meal. They have good Italian food but don't expect to be blown away by anything on the menu.Special Features:
- Skip it -unless you only do dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/24/2014The food was incredibly salty, four of us ate there we all felt it was too salty. We had chicken Marcella , veal, and fish. Italian has so many great seasonings that salt does not need to be the main ingredient . When talking to a friend later he said his girlfriend and he had the same experience - too much salt. The service was slow, water was never filled. It was a slow night there so no real excuse. The tiramisu was excellent and home made, so maybe good for dessert and coffee or tea.Special Features:
- Triangle Restaurant Week dinnerHoney85Dined on 1/24/2014We went here for the 4 course meal through Triangle Restaurant Week. Everything we ate was really tasty. the Eggplant Parmesan was the best I have had around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They are consistent and solid.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/22/2014They are consistent and solid. The location is great esp for eating outside. They serve fairly basic dishes with reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian at a good priceMAHfromdurhamDined on 1/21/2014We visited during Triangle dining week and had 4 courses for $20 each, which was a true bargain. The breaded veal was crunchy, with fresh mozzerella melted on top. THis was the highlight of the meal for me. Fried cheese ravioli were delicious, and the marinara dipping sauce was fantastic (I usually take one taste and ignore, but this was wonderfully balanced with lots of fresh herbs). The bread on the table was warm and tasty as well. The waitstaff was great--we were on the way to a concert and they got us out right on schedule, while taking great care of us. These small things add so much to the pleasure of a meal. I will definately return, even without the special fixed price menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is one of my favoriteLoveGoodFoodDined on 1/21/2014This is one of my favorite Italian restaurants to dine at. They make all of their pastas by hand and the taste is superb! I recommend this restaurant to tourist and locals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Expectedmefird214Dined on 1/11/2014This restaurant lived up to the reviews I had read beforehand. The food was very good, and the staff was friendly. The service started a little slow but the staff picked up and I have no complaints with the meal or the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantWendyDined on 1/11/2014This is the second time I dined here. Again, I was pleased with the food, service, wine & they validate parking! We went here before a concert at DPAC and it made for a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Great newBirthday9placeDined on 1/10/2014Excellent food. Great new find in downtown Durham.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/14/2013The food was excellent. The menu was large. The waitress was friendly, and the restaurant was beautiful. It was the perfect blend of exquisite food and affordable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Evening!NayNayDined on 11/30/2013The food was yummy! A little something for everyone as my hubby is very particular! We enjoyed a wonderful evening with friends!Special Features:
- StrangeShowatcherVIPDined on 11/15/2013Pasta dish had lots of flavor, would have been excellent if the dish was hotter than room temp. Waitress not familiar with wine list, Didn't see much of her anyway, said she had been busy. Bread was delivered about 10 minutes after we finished the meal - maybe "bread to go"? Not going back anytime soon.
- Service with a smile and morecoolnanaDined on 11/8/2013Our server, Tomil, was extraordinary. He dealt with our group of 6 women of a certain age with courtesy and style. Everyone was pleased with their food, especially those who order the salmon. It was a very pleasant experience.Special Features: