727 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piacererestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6505923536x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30-5 PM
Brunch: Sat & Sun 10 AM-4 PM
Dinner: Sun-Wed 5-10 PM & Thurs-Sat 5-11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Miriam Russell Wadleigh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Let Chef Miriam Russell-Wadleigh make your event special!
Full service catering from small intimate parties to large scale receptions in private homes, corporate settings, or other party venues. "Pia" our box lunch catering service is also available and a great way to offer something a little more delicious than usual at your next meeting!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entertainment: Join us for live music Thurs-Sat nights starting at 8 PM.
- Special Events: Piacere is a local favorite for culinary events. Wine pairings, customized cocktails, Holiday events, football season bar specials, social gatherings and more. Piacere has been featured many time in the local press with our annual Farmer's Market family-style dinners (May-Sept.), and our winter wild game family style meals during the winter months.
Learn more by liking us on Facebook and by visiting our website's special events page: www.piacererestaurant.com.
- Cross Street: Cherry Street
- Public Transit: San Carlos CalTrain Station 1 block away. SamTrans stop 2 blocks over at El Camino and San Carlos Ave.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Located in the heart of downtown San Carlos. Non-metered street parking and 2 public lots within a 1/2 block radius. CalTrain is within walking distance as well!
A word from Piacere
Piacere’s cuisine reflects a commitment to fresh, seasonal ingredients, Using locally grown produce, premium meats, and the finest poultry and seafood, Chef Miriam Russell-Wadleigh creates unique, accessible dishes with simple, timeless appeal. From small bites in the lounge to a decadent dinner, an outdoor lunch, weekend brunch or an evening with friends, Piacere invites guests to share a casually-elegant, delicious experience! A Peninsula favorite!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Piacere - Best Restaurants in San Carlos ›
Piacere reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (44)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (28)special occasion (26)fit for foodies (22)great for lunch (22)great for brunch (18)vibrant bar scene (18)kid-friendly (17)romantic (15)notable wine list (9)late-night find (9)hot spot (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great for a big party, last minuteluvsbcDined on 9/6/2014These guys did a great job with a large party (13!) which included two toddlers and an infant and a last minute reservation. There is no kids menu, but they were very accommodating and made small cheese pizzas for our kids, which were a big hit. Service was very attentive, given the size of our party, and they quickly rectified a problem when one of the entrees came out wrong. Everyone enjoyed dinner, and we wish we could have stayed later for the live music that was being set up.Special Features:
- Great evening!sglol8Dined on 9/3/2014We had a large group and they had a wonderful place for us up front. The food and wine were both fabulous! What a nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffJeffDined on 8/31/2014Service was very good. Candidly, my wife ordered the lamb chops medium rare - came out well done. However, the manager immediately corrected the situation and was very fair when the bill came. I had the short ribs - very tender and good flavor. Definitely will give these guys another round.Special Features:
- not a breakfast or brunch placeCharlesDined on 8/31/2014. Piacere did not know wh8ether they were serving breakfast, brunch or lunch. The menu was very limited for breakfast and brunch. Much more extensive for lunchSpecial Features:
- Nice restaurant with great servicekb121Dined on 8/22/2014Good food and great service. We were going to the pottery painting place next door, wanted some place close and fast. Right in the middle of the downtown area. Very good food and attentive service. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014I had a very nice group dinner at Piacere. We made a reservation for 17 people and the restaurant had our table all setup when we arrived in a private room! We only had 12 of the 17 show up, but the restaurant didn't complain about it. Very much appreciate the flexibility! The food was great as was the service. Was nice to have a stress free dining environment for a get-together with some old friends!Special Features:
- Poor service, good food & ambiancemdoc4425Dined on 8/20/2014Hostess "team" did not even acknowledge our reservation and had not prepared for out table & they were not busy. It took 3 trips to get drink order since the waiter did not know what the wines of the day were & that 2 beers we ordered were out of stock. Wine list is over priced and disappointing. In the SF the Bay Area one should be able to order a good glass of wine for under $10/glass. Only glasses of wine available are $11+/glass except for the "wines of the day" at $9/glass. White wine of the day we ordered was terrible, like vinegar. We had to return it & buy an overpriced glass of white wine. While food is good, other restaurants in area much better service. Too bad because Piacere has a nice ambience, especially the patio seating.Special Features:
- Good but OVERPRICEDEmbarcaderoEater1VIPDined on 8/19/2014Piacere is good, but over priced for what you get. I had Salmon that was $29, and it was a very small piece, on top of some sort of mashed vegetable. It was good, but no vegetables to speak of, and not what you expect for that much, especially when you compare to the other restaurants in the area. We left there really shocked at the expense for what we had gotten. I will not go back, as there are too many other great places with better food and prices.Special Features:
- Farmer's Market Challenge DinnerjagmackVIPDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I, and our friends really loved the results of the Chef's skill using the fruits and vegetables we bought at the Laurel St Farmer's Market. Just outstanding flavors. This was our second time this year doing the Challenge and we hope to do it again before the season is over.Special Features:
- candyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a great dinning experience, our server complied with our request for these beautiful butter lettuce and beets salad with shrimp and it was outstanding, full of flavor. Great food and great service!Special Features:
- Horrible food and serviceFinediningVIPDined on 7/30/2014I was embarrassed to have taken my friends here. Food was horrible. Service was worse. Waitress missed 3 items we ordered, never poured wine, seemed clueless. Food was salty and lukewarm. This place used to be decent, not great. After this, I will never go back or recommend.
- candyVIPDined on 7/30/2014We had a delightful late lunch, great warm beets salad and mussels, comfortable atmosphere and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Carlos shines againSharVIPDined on 7/18/2014music to dine by..... A little jazz played while we enjoyed our delightful dinner and loud enough to enjoy yet not too loud that you couldn't talk to each other. White table clothes, but not pretentious and dining outside too. Flat Iron Steak was cooked perfectly with a wonderful wine sauce, green beans crispy and roasted beat salad delicious. Lam T Bone also ordered at the table was proclaimed excellent. Lots of competition in San Carlos with such great restaurants and Piacere is one of them. Loved the music - an added bit of ambiance that will bring me back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodShwilliaDined on 7/18/2014We dined outside, which makes prompt service a bit slower than inside, but we were able to enjoy the great music, the waitress was charming, if slow, and both meals were absolutely delish. The food at Piacere is reliably excellent. I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and great ambianceNightoutDined on 7/17/2014Found this place through a restaurant.com voucher and am so glad we did. The food was phenomenal; service was exceptional. We will certaintly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food Good music Kids welcomeOAPDDined on 7/12/2014We were a group of 6 adults and 3 kids (one an infant), and we were seated nicely with an attentive server who was enthusiastic about the food he was serving. Almost everything was delicious. Especially the zucchini blossoms appetizer, the burata and the nudi. I was less impressed with the deserts (chocolate flan cake and cheesecake) although they were all right in taste... But they fell short of expectations with the rest of the food. We enjoyed the live music and our kids were dancing to it :) One big minus: their bathrooms grew progressively filthy throughout the evening and no one was looking into it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 7/12/2014Food was nothing to write home about. I had the nudi which I thought was salty and it was top with lots of flat leaf parsley which I thought should have been less and maybe finely chopped. My husband ordered the chicken breast and when it came out it looked like a small quarter of a chicken since it had a wing attached. Service was fine.Special Features:
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014Terrible food, terrible service. The only good thing was the gracious hostess who accommodated our seating request. Don't waste your money when there are so many better places.
- Food just okayosnapDined on 7/3/2014We went here to celebrate my father-in-laws birthday. I had originally booked a table at Town but thought it would be too loud so changed to Piacere. That was a mistake. Thursdays they have a guy playing music and made it really difficult to have any conversation. The service was very good but the food lacked. Main grievances: squash blossom appetizer was super greasy, gnocchi with sun dried tomatoes was way overly salted.Special Features:
- Excellent placeLikaVIPDined on 6/28/2014Excellent place for food and live music. Grilled prawns with garlic and olives- ah, so good! The combination of location, food and live music probably makes it the best choice in the 25-50 miles area. Oh, and the prices are not ridiculous either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service with Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/22/2014The servers were too busy watching a soccer match to care about our table. Food was somewhat flavorful but nothing special. Disappointing first visit and I don't plan to returnSpecial Features:
- Fun foodie experienceReneeDined on 6/19/2014We did the "Farmers Market Callenge". We selected several items from the farmers market just outside the door of the restaurant and presented our bounty to the chef. After asking about any allergies and culinary preferences, she proceeded to dazzle and delight us with dish after dish of beautifully prepared food - 9 dishes in all. She turned our blackberries into a "gastrique" for grilled pork chops, our fava beans and leeks into a bed for grilled salmon, and added our English peas to quinoa with bacon. One of the highlights was her transformation of corn on the cob into a polenta topped with pea greens. The grilled baby eggplants with heirloom tomato relish, and the salad of white nectarines, goat cheese and arugula were also delicious.Special Features:
- Nice outdoor patioDebDDined on 6/19/2014Portions seem to have gotten smaller for the price......Special Features:
- Good group dinner experienceRezziechickVIPDined on 6/16/2014Had a group dinner there with about 6 people and we shared everything and everyone liked the food. The service was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- candyVIPDined on 6/15/2014The special pre-fix brunch menu for father's day was excellent great choices, had the salmon and it was very good, service was great and very comfortable atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day Brunchasdfghjkl12345Dined on 6/15/2014Father's day brunch was 3-course prix-fixe ($38/ea) 1st course shared by the table and was pastries & fruit. The fruit definitely NOT fresh cut & pastries not fresh either/were cold. Apricot-cream cheese muffins had neither apricots nor cream cheese. Chocolate chip scones, chocolate croissants & blueberry coffeecake all pretty good. 2nd course: short rib hash was bland & the eggs had to go back to the kitchen 3x before it was firm (as asked) Green pea ravioli yummy but VERY oily. Salmon WAY too salty & provolone for scrambled eggs was overwhelming. Desserts were taken to-go because we were so full. Hazelnut chocolate tart was good. Service was very attentive & although food was not the best, it was a good experience.
- gone downhillSMRealtorVIPDined on 6/8/2014went for a quick dinner, took the server 20 minutes to get to us and another 30 before the food started to arrive. we had our grandkids who had to stuff themselves with bread and no longer hungry when their orders arrived. my wife ordered steak medium rare, came well done. at $36 we sent back. another 15 minutes later, came back raw in the middle. needless to say, will not be back. only positive comment is their kids menu is reasonable.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/7/2014Not a lot of selection on the menu (specially for the prices and/or being categorized as an Italian restaurant).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014We noted in OpenTable it was our anniversary... they did say happy anniversary... but honestly thought we wuold get a nice dessert, or appetizer or something - - but nothing.
- Brunch was great!EG36Dined on 6/1/2014The menu was brunch was amazing and they have bottomless mimosas! Service is always so friendly and helpful! I definitely recommend coming here for brunch!Special Features:
- The following 724 reviews are from the Piacere reviews archive.
- Friday Night LiveLivemusicDined on 5/23/2014Excellent place to meet friends or take your date, seating outside or inside close to the bar area but still private, seating also in the large dinning room or private wine booth. The food was hot and service very quick. Everything on the menu is prepared fresh and the specialties change each month with a good variety of dishes. Music in the bar was very nice, Jazz, Blues and Light Rock, not much room for dancing but great to listen to.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/20/2014good food although a bit pricey. Ribs were delicious and big enough to share for two peopleSpecial Features:
- Amazing FoodDarleneVIPDined on 5/18/2014We've been big fans of Piacere for a long time now. We were frequent diners until we had one too many balls dropped with the service. We voiced our concern a few times and stopped going for a while. However, we LOVE the chef, he/she does an amazing job using in season produce and their food is excellent. I'm happy to say the service as improved a little but it has a long way to go! A must visit for sure.Special Features:
- Great Outdoor Stopjar321VIPDined on 5/12/2014Enjoyed the outdoor dining at this restaurant. Food very very good and service was outstanding. Friendly and helpful staff. Looks like it had a good bar scene as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayGiGiDined on 5/11/2014We went for mother's day dinner on Sun. May 11th and, although we had a reservation, the place was literally upside down!!! They just couldn't handle the crowd and they told us their dishwashers walked out on them in the middle of service. Also, one of the kitchen staff was screaming obscenities at her coworkers in front of patrons waiting in line for the restrooms. We were seated and then waited 45 minutes before we finally asked Them for menus, bread and water. They reluctantly brought them to us along with one basket of bread for 9 people in our party. The food was excellent, however, in spite of all else. It was a 4 hour dinner. I would recommend them for a very slow week night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014The place wasn't staffed for the Mother's Day dinner rush. We've been in the past and had a good experience, this time was much different. The server barely had the time to drop the check. We asked for a to go box and dessert menu from two separate employees and ended up getting one ourselves. The food took a very long time and the steak had good flavor but was on the cool side of hot. I will come back but not on a day when a lot of people are out too.
- Mothers Day Dinnerbbk59Dined on 5/11/2014We had a nice Mothers Day dinner at Piacere. They were busy, but early in the evening they were not as crowded as I feared. My mother's hearing can be a problem, so I was happy that the noise level was very reasonable. The menu and wine selection was very good, with something for everyone. Their service was a little slow, but it was not an issue at all since we were not in a hurry, and it was a busy night. I had the roasted half chicken, which was good, but a little on the dry side. My wife enjoyed her salmon. The overall price was high (about $45 per person in total) in relation to the level of service and the quality of the food. We would go again, because it was a good dining experience, but there are a lot of options in San Carlos.Special Features:
- Just terriblemeghan94002Dined on 5/11/2014The food was just okay, but the service was horrible. We had a party of 12 for Mother's Day including very young children. We arrived on time, but every single step in the service process took a loooong time. Like 15 minutes before we would even see our server again after he went to get one drink. I had to ask for water, ask for bread because the kids were literally crying with hunger. I even had to ask for the children's menus. He didn't seem happy to serve us, either. After 2.5 hours we hadn't even ordered dessert and had to leave before the rest of the party was finished because the children couldn't sit still any longer. Due to the size of the party the server had a guaranteed $70+ tip despite the awful service. Will never be back.
- Excellent Spot!PhillyboyDined on 5/11/2014Came here on a Groupon originally, and went back without one! :) Love the place, the food was fantastic, loved the extra care and attention to the meal. We did outside dining, which was really nice. Would recommend to anyone that wanted a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/11/2014A wonderful restaurant with just the right touches all around. I went for Mother's Day Brunch and even with a prix fix menu, they still offered vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options. My kids (5 and 7) loved the fresh baked pastries and fresh juice w/Italian soda. My wife and I loved the short rib hash and chicken with smashed peas. Dessert was delectable and indulgent with fresh baked cookies and rich coffee. Recommend you make reservations for the holiday meals as this place is appropriately busy on those days!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.