1252 East US Highway 45
Vernon Hills, IL 60061Neighborhood:
Mundelein – Vernon Hills - Libertyville
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.phillygs.com/
- Phone: 8476341811
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Entertainment in our lounge Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening along with nightly specials Sunday through Thursday in the lounge.
A word from Philly G's
The menu offers a wide selection of pastas, carne, pollo vitello and pesce. Notable dishes include Eight Finger Cavetelli, Prime Steak Sciliano, Chicken alla Gilardi, Parmigiana Crusted Salmon and Marinated Skirt Steak with Crispy Vidalia Onions. Phil Gilardi, Jr. along with his uncle, Dan Sullivan, is proud to be carrying on the Gilardi tradition with Philly G's. The restaurant will be celebrating its 5 Year anniversary come this August. Philly is the fourth generation of Gilardi's to continue the family recipes of his great-grandmother, Sophie and grandmother, Angie Gilardi along with regional favorites of his own.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Philly G's reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (42)romantic (36)great for lunch (33)good for groups (32)fit for foodies (21)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (7)scenic view (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (2)Show More
- Food and Service Excellent!SuzanneSDined on 9/6/2014This is the first time we dined at Philly G's and we are wondering why we hadn't stopped in before this! It's a little hard to find as it is on the side street and not the main street, but the food was excellent and the service superb! You must absolutely try Philly Gi's for some great Italian food! Everyone at our table ordered something different and everyone enjoyed their meal! In addition, we had theatre tickets and they got us in and out with plenty of time to make the play.Special Features:
- Rather disappointedsad2sayDined on 9/5/2014Philly G's used to be one of our favorite places to meet friends and enjoy good food. It had been awhile since we'd been there and they have enlarged and changed the floor plan quite a bit....we all liked it better when it was the cozy, intimate great place for conversation and a great meal. The service was very good but we four felt the quality of the food was not nearly as enjoyable as in years past. The high noise level made it difficult to talk with our friends so I'm afraid we probably won't be going back.
- Plus and minusAdamVIPDined on 9/3/2014Very good food at reasonable prices. But--Bar was crowded and loud with a combination of some office party, TVs and a Trivia game; not a pleasant place for a pre-dinner cocktail. Also service can be slow and the noisy, rolling food carts are a negative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentFrankGDined on 8/30/2014The ambience, service and food consistently good. Yet to have a poor outing there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PinkyVIPDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed dinning here very much. The food is always good and the wait staff is very pleasant and speedy. We definitely will return in the near future, and tell our friends..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousfabfoodDined on 8/29/2014Everything was perfect!!!! Food was great service was exceptional and our waiter was friendly and funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This always a great choice or lunch or dinner, have been here several times or both. We asked for separate checks and this was a bit of a problem for the waiter..think he was new, but nothing that interfered with our wonderful dinner, great food, wonderful wines.Special Features:
- HappyDinerHappyDinerDined on 8/22/2014Nice neighborhood restaurant. Fresh fish specials very well prepared. For a restaurant that serves many Italian dishes, the osso bucco was fantastic, however the meat sauce for lasagna and spaghetti left much to be desired; lacked flavor and richness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our placeDinerouterVIPDined on 8/17/2014Whenever we feel like having a good dinner at a nice nearby place, meeting friends or doing a movie-dinner evening, we go to Philly G's. The food is good, the drinks are generous and well made, and the service is consistently fast and attentive. We prefer to sit in the porch area because it is more spacious, more scenic and more quiet, but have enjoyed the outside area on a nice summer's evening. We do sometimes tell the waitstaff to slowdown the time between courses, which otherwise may be a bit fast for relaxed dining -- but that is a matter of preference.Special Features:
- Romantic anniversary dinnerGooutoften1Dined on 8/16/2014The ambience and food werr fantastic. Definitely will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!MaggiegDined on 8/16/2014Everything was Perfect :) i Love the atmosphere of this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantsuburbandinerDined on 8/15/2014Love the ambiance. Service was great too. We enjoyed our meals. We ordered the stuffed mushroom appetizer, a fish special and a chicken dish. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The food was outstanding and love the atmosphere of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need2noNeed2noVIPDined on 8/7/2014Philly G's primary assets are their location and tables on the porch with a view. Service and food are good, but your guests will not be "wowed." It's good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dad's Birthday DinnerIrishlassDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten at Philly G's many times. It is a family favorite. Saturday August 2nd was our Dad's birthday and we chose to celebrate at Philly G's. The food and wine were fantastic. The service was very slow. Most tables that came in after ours received their food way before ours. Our reservation was at 7pm and we did not leave until 9:30pm. This was not do to taking our time in ordering. We waited long periods of time between all of our courses and then finally, the check. Our waitress did not even bring it to the table. Very disappointing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Philly G's is a great restaurantelleDined on 8/1/2014We were a party of six sitting on the porch for lunch. It was delightful. Four of us had different veal dishes that were superb. This is one of my favorite restaurants. I would never hesitate to bring guests here. Our waiter tried his best, but the restaurant was understaffed this day and he just had too much to do.Special Features:
- Delicious Food, service not so!KidsRoutDined on 7/29/2014Delicious and abundant with a twist to every item. The calamari had a unique twist and the flaming cheese tasteful. I'm a gnocchi lover and had better, it was a little heavy. My wife's chicken was tasteful and bountiful. I has reservations and they sat us in grand central station. Our server was rushed and sweaty and every cart from the kitchen rolled by us. It was not full so there was no excuse. I'll go back for the food and just expect bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpaOpaDined on 7/23/2014Service is very good, food not up to what it has been in the past!
- Food good, service suspectALR1Dined on 7/21/2014Our food was very good. Service left a lot to be desired. Got food. Asked for ketchup. Waitress tended to several other tables, had to be aske to additional times and finally got ketchup. Bottle was sticky and dirty. Asked for 2 checks at end of meal. Guess we didn't explain clearly enough...got 2 checks with the bill simply divided in half (versus our orders being on 2 separate checks). We had to figure out how to make it work so one of us did not end up paying for more than we ordered. Restaurant offers good good at reasonable prices...service is killing them. If you go expecting minimal service at best and good food you should be fine. I hope the restaurant reads the comments posted. Reocurring theme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentFrankGDined on 7/19/2014Good servers, food consistent reasonably pricing visit about 4 to 6 times a yeariSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as always it was a wonderful dinnerGriffDined on 7/18/2014We have been going to Philly G since it was Gilardis and have never had a bad meal or bad service. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2014I brought a first time guest. He enjoyed the food and the experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014this time we went for lunch and it was very good for conversation--dining on the porch is very funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Philly G'srunner97Dined on 7/9/2014Excellent food. Lovely ambiance. Great place to have lunch and talk.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014This restaurant is one of our favorite places to go for a special occasion. It is pricey so we wouldn't go there on a weekly or even monthly basis.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceJayhawkSwedeDined on 6/28/2014We had not been to Philly G's in over 5 years as our experience had been similar to other reviewers - average food and poor service. But we had the Entertainment book discount and decided to give it a try. We sat upstairs - it was quiet despite being pretty full. Our waiter (Tim) did a nice job. The food was great - I had the skirt steak with a wedge salad and my wife a Shrimp Amalfi and the Caprese salad special (with Avocado) - very awesome. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- To hotOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/22/2014Uncomfortably warm in certain rooms, foyer was like a sauna!Special Features:
- FantasticEdgarDined on 6/14/2014Philly G's was better than expected. Took my girlfriend there for our one year anniversary and it couldn't have been better. It was classy and very romantic at the same time. I would recommend this to everybody!Special Features:
- Excellent italian foodNWburberDined on 6/13/2014Always been a superior italian restaurant, it seems to have gotten better in recent years. The stuffed eggplant is amazing as are the soups and pasta dishes. We particularly enjoyed the bright, sunlit terrace (not really outdoors, but it feels that it is).Special Features:
- Dinner at Philly G'sJIMMYBOYDined on 6/13/2014I took an old lady friend to dinner at Philly G's on a Friday night. The bar was fairly full and I had a drink there (it was a fairly expensive Martini.) It was well served and icy cold as it should be. At my arrival at the restaurant, I requested a quiet table away from most of the crowd. We were seated at a very quiet corner table in a small room. No one else was seated in the room for over an hour, so we were able to have a quiet dinner and conversation. We had pasta and a fish dish, which were both excellent. Service was excellent. Will definitely return there in the future.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/9/2014Have eaten at Philly G's several times and the food is always very good. The restaurant itself is very welcoming in both staff and restaurant decor. Will definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken cacciatoreDisappointedVIPDined on 6/7/2014This dish is consistently the BEST Chicken Cacciatore we get at any restaurant we go to. Bravo!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Philly G's - a real diamond!aolbur1Dined on 6/4/2014Service was incredible! Food was delicious. Great value for the money.... We love this place! Had a great birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Great SpotJMAC1Dined on 6/3/2014Philly G's has great food and wine. It is consistently good which is an indicator of continuity and good management. A great place for medium size groups and small intimate dinners.Special Features:
- DiappointedTKLZVIPDined on 5/31/2014We have been to Philly G's many times over the years and it has been on a slow decline. Saturday was by far our worst experience during the decline. We were seated right away for a 6:15 res, so it was not busy at the time but we could never locate our server. She spent a great deal of time talk to other employees as opposed to taking care of her tables. There was one item on the menu that we were told was not available and that they have " been out of it" for 6 montHs. Maybe you should take it off the menu. The food quality was ok and has been slipping for some time. The bar always use to be busy and fun and now it's dead. Would take a lot to get me back there at this point.Special Features:
- Not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014We were there at 5 and they seated us by the kitchen where we could hear a man and woman fighting. We sat and waited - no server. Finally the server showed up, but seemed to keep forgetting about us. The calamari appetizer was good, but my minestrone was cold and had no flavor. The entrees were ok, except that my husband's pork chop was completely raw near the bone.
- The following 447 reviews are from the Philly G's reviews archive.
- Very disappointed!LBFoodieDined on 5/17/2014I've been to Philly G's many, many times for lunch and always had great food and service, so I recommended it to our friends for an evening out. What a disappointment! We were seated in the upstairs dining room, which is poorly decorated and very tired. Very old school! They had booked several large parties that evening (at least that was the excuse the server gave us) and clearly did not staff their servers or the kitchen to accommodate the business. The service was awful--it took 25 minutes to get an appetizer--which was served after the salads. Food was good and portions are generous, but plate presentation is poor. I have no plans to return to Philly G's and do not expect to recommend it in the future. Very disappointed!
- 2nd time infitfoodieDined on 5/16/2014This was our 2nd time to Philly G's. The first, it was just my boyfriend and I on a date- some of the food was excellent, some was just OK (meatballs), but the SERVICE WAS AMAZING. This time we took his Dad there for his birthday and there were 4 of us total. They sat us in a quet uostairs room and our waiter was a spaz.. so they service wasn't as good as last time. The food however was great. My BF and his dad had veal something and they were both very happy. We also ordered the Calamari appetizer which was the biggest portion I've ever seen and VERY good. We will be returning :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and WornORllyDined on 5/10/2014We have been to this restaurant many times. Lately it seems the service is getting worse! Normally we request a table on the porch. This visit we were upstairs. It was very old,worn, and dingy compared to downstairs. No ambience! We waited 20 minutes for a waiter to come to our table. We had to ask to hostess for a waiter. The waiter made "excuses" for the delay. We were entertaining guests that night and were embarrassed by the service level and the dark and dingy surroundings. However, the food was good!
- DisappointedDaveKDined on 5/10/2014Our part of 13 arrived 15 minutes early and had to wait a few minutes to be seated. This was not the problem, the problems started after we sat down for dinner. The service overall was extremely slow. It took forever for the waiter to take our drink and appetizer order. The food took a long time to come out and when it did the waiter did not know who ordered what. When the main entrees arrived they were cold. I was so disappointed with restaurant and service that I will not return or recommend it to friends.