1252 East US Highway 45
Vernon Hills, IL 60061Neighborhood:
Mundelein – Vernon Hills - Libertyville
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.phillygs.com/
- Phone: (847) 634-1811
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Entertainment in our lounge Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening along with nightly specials Sunday through Thursday in the lounge.
A word from Philly G's
The menu offers a wide selection of pastas, carne, pollo vitello and pesce. Notable dishes include Eight Finger Cavetelli, Prime Steak Sciliano, Chicken alla Gilardi, Parmigiana Crusted Salmon and Marinated Skirt Steak with Crispy Vidalia Onions. Phil Gilardi, Jr. along with his uncle, Dan Sullivan, is proud to be carrying on the Gilardi tradition with Philly G's. The restaurant will be celebrating its 5 Year anniversary come this August. Philly is the fourth generation of Gilardi's to continue the family recipes of his great-grandmother, Sophie and grandmother, Angie Gilardi along with regional favorites of his own.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Philly G's reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (41)romantic (38)good for groups (37)fit for foodies (32)great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (15)great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (8)hot spot (7)Show More
- Dinner @ Philly G'sMacomb1Dined on 11/22/2014We had the usuall great experience at Philly G's! Right on time with our reservations which was important as we were having an early dinner since we had theater tickets at Marriott Lincolnshire Theater. The food was ample (boarders on almost too much) and as always very very good. Have you tried the Parmesan Crusted Salmon? Next time there treat yourself to a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Delight!LbreidenbachDined on 11/16/2014We took our 96-year-old grandmother to have a late lunch prior to seeing a play at Marriott Theatre. We had booked reservations online and we were greeted by the staff at the door and escorted to the table that we wanted by the windows with the view. Or drinks were delicious and the food was exceptional. Our server was warm and welcoming and made us feel like we were royalty. Well, Gram does look a bit like Queen Elizabeth so maybe we had her a bit nervous! LolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great service.JMarieDined on 11/14/2014We went with a group of six and it was a great experience. We were able to hear each other for good conversation. We had excellent appetizers and everyone truly enjoyed their meal. The owner walked around to make sure everything was going well. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbieVIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was delicious but took quite a long time to get the entree. Both the minestrone soup and half of our table's entrees arrived lukewarm at best. They had to be sent back to warm up. It seemed like two of the meals might have been prepared first and then sat there until the Tigers were ready.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceWolfNJDined on 11/2/2014Meal was rushed, waitress ignored our request to space courses. Business dinner meeting was impacted negatively, disappointing. Courses delivered on top of unfinished previous course, cluttered table. Somewhat rude waitress habitually interrupted conversations .Special Features:
- Great - as always !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!abcabcabcDined on 10/25/2014Food was only outdone by the service !!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place Great food and svcEOD20504Dined on 10/25/2014Server Angel and busboy (i believe Armando) wete great We will be going back even tho its quite far from homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatTellyVIPDined on 10/20/2014Every thing was outstanding !!! Service and food knocked it out of the ballpark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Anniversary Dinnerfunon55thDined on 10/17/2014It was our 55th wedding anniversary, and we were given a gift card to Philly-G's to use to celebrate. Our experience was simply wonderful because our waitress was friendly and attentive, the food was superb, from the flaming asiago (which was far better than the flaming saganaki we've had elsewhere) , the parmesan-crusted salmon, shrimp scampi, all the way down to the peanut butter cheesecake. Even though the restaurant is 17 miles away from home, we will definitely return to this great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Philly G's is always good food! We sat in the room that had a party going on but was fine. They were not there much after we arrived.Special Features:
- Great food!!!elleDined on 10/12/2014You can never go wrong with Philly G's. The food is always excellent. Requested the porch with our reservation, but they didn't have a table for 5 set out there. Didn't seem like they wanted to move anything around either. Our waitress was pleasant and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fitting for an older crowdTheatrebuffDined on 10/1/2014Although Philly G's has a certain charm, due to the old house-feel and look, that is where the appeal ends. It was nothing special as far as the food was concerned. I had the fish special, and it was unclear if it was supposed to have a breading, or if it was 'dipped/coated' in something that was supposed to be a crispy coating.... It was neither.It was just soggy. The cod fish was 'OK'... Nothing special. The waiter claimed that the fish was brought in fresh daily... Which may be true; it just wasn't as well prepared as most. The bread was good, as was the service. But, that's not enough to bring me back, as I expect to have really good food when I dine out.
- Lunch GoerWinelover1Dined on 9/24/2014Very nice experience. No trouble getting a table in quiet location by window. Great tilapia special. We were able to have a leisurely lunch but service was there when we needed.Special Features:
- Mouth-WateringfuturedirectedDined on 9/19/2014Philly G serves Authentic Italian cuisine, as opposed to certain chain restaurants that claim to serve Italian food. The restaurant has several rooms, comfortable chairs and a fine-dining ambiance. However, it is also relaxed and distinctly un-stuffy, so they got that balanced well. The wine list has numerous worthy selections. But the food, the food, the food! It is really delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaitingSteveDined on 9/18/2014We waited 45 minutes for a 4 Shrimp Appetizer. Then another 45 minutes for our Dinner. They did offer Dessert free of charge.Special Features:
- PrimogiganteDined on 9/17/2014Great food and services. Ate at the bar and the bartender was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service Excellent!SuzanneSDined on 9/6/2014This is the first time we dined at Philly G's and we are wondering why we hadn't stopped in before this! It's a little hard to find as it is on the side street and not the main street, but the food was excellent and the service superb! You must absolutely try Philly Gi's for some great Italian food! Everyone at our table ordered something different and everyone enjoyed their meal! In addition, we had theatre tickets and they got us in and out with plenty of time to make the play.Special Features:
- Rather disappointedsad2sayDined on 9/5/2014Philly G's used to be one of our favorite places to meet friends and enjoy good food. It had been awhile since we'd been there and they have enlarged and changed the floor plan quite a bit....we all liked it better when it was the cozy, intimate great place for conversation and a great meal. The service was very good but we four felt the quality of the food was not nearly as enjoyable as in years past. The high noise level made it difficult to talk with our friends so I'm afraid we probably won't be going back.
- Plus and minusAdamVIPDined on 9/3/2014Very good food at reasonable prices. But--Bar was crowded and loud with a combination of some office party, TVs and a Trivia game; not a pleasant place for a pre-dinner cocktail. Also service can be slow and the noisy, rolling food carts are a negative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentFrankGDined on 8/30/2014The ambience, service and food consistently good. Yet to have a poor outing there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PinkyVIPDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed dinning here very much. The food is always good and the wait staff is very pleasant and speedy. We definitely will return in the near future, and tell our friends..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousfabfoodDined on 8/29/2014Everything was perfect!!!! Food was great service was exceptional and our waiter was friendly and funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This always a great choice or lunch or dinner, have been here several times or both. We asked for separate checks and this was a bit of a problem for the waiter..think he was new, but nothing that interfered with our wonderful dinner, great food, wonderful wines.Special Features:
- HappyDinerHappyDinerDined on 8/22/2014Nice neighborhood restaurant. Fresh fish specials very well prepared. For a restaurant that serves many Italian dishes, the osso bucco was fantastic, however the meat sauce for lasagna and spaghetti left much to be desired; lacked flavor and richness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our placeDinerouterVIPDined on 8/17/2014Whenever we feel like having a good dinner at a nice nearby place, meeting friends or doing a movie-dinner evening, we go to Philly G's. The food is good, the drinks are generous and well made, and the service is consistently fast and attentive. We prefer to sit in the porch area because it is more spacious, more scenic and more quiet, but have enjoyed the outside area on a nice summer's evening. We do sometimes tell the waitstaff to slowdown the time between courses, which otherwise may be a bit fast for relaxed dining -- but that is a matter of preference.Special Features:
- Romantic anniversary dinnerGooutoften1Dined on 8/16/2014The ambience and food werr fantastic. Definitely will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!MaggiegDined on 8/16/2014Everything was Perfect :) i Love the atmosphere of this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantsuburbandinerDined on 8/15/2014Love the ambiance. Service was great too. We enjoyed our meals. We ordered the stuffed mushroom appetizer, a fish special and a chicken dish. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The food was outstanding and love the atmosphere of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need2noNeed2noVIPDined on 8/7/2014Philly G's primary assets are their location and tables on the porch with a view. Service and food are good, but your guests will not be "wowed." It's good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dad's Birthday DinnerIrishlassDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten at Philly G's many times. It is a family favorite. Saturday August 2nd was our Dad's birthday and we chose to celebrate at Philly G's. The food and wine were fantastic. The service was very slow. Most tables that came in after ours received their food way before ours. Our reservation was at 7pm and we did not leave until 9:30pm. This was not do to taking our time in ordering. We waited long periods of time between all of our courses and then finally, the check. Our waitress did not even bring it to the table. Very disappointing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Philly G's is a great restaurantelleDined on 8/1/2014We were a party of six sitting on the porch for lunch. It was delightful. Four of us had different veal dishes that were superb. This is one of my favorite restaurants. I would never hesitate to bring guests here. Our waiter tried his best, but the restaurant was understaffed this day and he just had too much to do.Special Features:
- The following 467 reviews are from the Philly G's reviews archive.
- Delicious Food, service not so!KidsRoutDined on 7/29/2014Delicious and abundant with a twist to every item. The calamari had a unique twist and the flaming cheese tasteful. I'm a gnocchi lover and had better, it was a little heavy. My wife's chicken was tasteful and bountiful. I has reservations and they sat us in grand central station. Our server was rushed and sweaty and every cart from the kitchen rolled by us. It was not full so there was no excuse. I'll go back for the food and just expect bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpaOpaDined on 7/23/2014Service is very good, food not up to what it has been in the past!
- Food good, service suspectALR1Dined on 7/21/2014Our food was very good. Service left a lot to be desired. Got food. Asked for ketchup. Waitress tended to several other tables, had to be aske to additional times and finally got ketchup. Bottle was sticky and dirty. Asked for 2 checks at end of meal. Guess we didn't explain clearly enough...got 2 checks with the bill simply divided in half (versus our orders being on 2 separate checks). We had to figure out how to make it work so one of us did not end up paying for more than we ordered. Restaurant offers good good at reasonable prices...service is killing them. If you go expecting minimal service at best and good food you should be fine. I hope the restaurant reads the comments posted. Reocurring theme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentFrankGDined on 7/19/2014Good servers, food consistent reasonably pricing visit about 4 to 6 times a yeariSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as always it was a wonderful dinnerGriffDined on 7/18/2014We have been going to Philly G since it was Gilardis and have never had a bad meal or bad service. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2014I brought a first time guest. He enjoyed the food and the experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014this time we went for lunch and it was very good for conversation--dining on the porch is very funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Philly G'srunner97Dined on 7/9/2014Excellent food. Lovely ambiance. Great place to have lunch and talk.Special Features: