Philippe- Miami Beach
36-40 Ocean Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
Philippe- Miami Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.philippechow.com/
- Phone: 3056740250
- Hours of Operation:
dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm -11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Philippe Chow
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Philippe- Miami Beach
Philippe's menu offers generous, sharable portions of refined, subtly flavored versions of classic Chinese dishes, as well as his own signature creations. All is presented against the backdrop of the chicly appointed dining space, basking in a bold color palate of red, black and white. Your meal begins with a choice of either the classic Philippe Chow dish, chicken satay served in the chef’s signature cream sauce, or chicken lettuce wraps. Follow up the light, fresh starters with the “Nine Seasons” spicy sweet and sour prawns, spicy velvet chicken, or chicken jo lau. Finally cap off this feast for the senses with a decadent dessert, such as the blueberry almond cake topped with homemade ice cream or red velvet cake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Philippe- Miami Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
- I am not accostumed of ratingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013I am not accostumed of rating restaurants, but I have to remark that we went to Philippe many times and it was good. But this last time, they were out of shrimp and meat, there were only chicken, and they didn't advised us before sitting.
- Owner(s) should be embarrassed.ChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 2/8/2013This was truly a bizarre and disappointing dining experience. Our table leaned against a partially stained wall and half of a window into a very depressing institutional-looking kitchen. The bar had giant tv screens with sports games playing (seemed odd for a place I consider to be synonymous with the original chic and elegant NYC locale). Our server came over and awkwardly explained that they were out of half of the menu items…and they weren't serving any type of seafood that night. This is Miami, right? The food was good for a typcial Chinese restaurant, no where close to being worth the prices they charge. Won't be back…but restaurant probably won't be around that much longer anyways. It's pretty obvious this place is on its last legs.
- I love this restaurant andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/6/2013I love this restaurant and have eaten here several times in the recent past, but the other night was a huge disappointment. No fish or seafood on the menu was available, and when I asked the waiter why, he completely ignored my question - several times. Would have been better if he said the freezer broke, or their shipment was bad, anything - patrons could understand glitches, but NO response was wrong. The the food we normally ordered was smaller by 1/3. My crispy duck was tasty as usual, but the fried rice was greasy. What is happening to one of my favorite places to eat?!?!?!?!? I also asked if they would have a special menu for the Chinese New Year coming up, and again got no intelligent response. A poor experience overall.
- Choose Mr. Chow Instead!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2013We were apprehensive when we arrived and no one was there. We understood why no one was there shortly after. We order the Chefs sampler; rice and prawns were bland, but the steak was amazing! If the steak and duck had came out with the other food we would have enjoyed it more. By the time the duck came out everyone was finished eating! I can only imagine how long it would have taken if there hadbeenanyibe else there. Definitely NOT worth the $900 spent and we will not return!
- Yes!!!MoniqueiciVIPDined on 1/12/2013I love the subtle flavors of Chinese food. Philippe really nailed them. Nothing we ordered was a super huge portion that often turns me off. The decor was unique for Chinese - clean! Yes, we will return. We even had a precocious 10-year old who doesn't like any food and she was a happy camper.Special Features:
- Food was absolutely terrible,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/3/2013Food was absolutely terrible, something fast food place would make. Chicken sauté sauce was burned, but they served it anyway.
- Hate that they give themselvesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/31/2012Hate that they give themselves a tip. Once the waiter took my order he disappeared for the rest of the night.
- worst Restaurant i've everOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/31/2012worst Restaurant i've ever been to!!! dont go to Philippe in South Beach service is AWFUL
- AVOID PhillipeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/29/2012The evening started off with waiting for 10 minutes to valet the car. There was ONE valet guy working on a Holiday weekend in Miami Beach; go figure! Then we were asked to wait for our table at the overly crowded bar. The waiters could not even get to the bar to pick up the drinks without stepping on the customers who were packed like sardines around the tiny bar. When we were finally seated, it took the waiter 20 minutes to come take our order. The house salad was fresh; if you like iceberg lettuce. However, the calamari was tasty. The drunken sea bass was swimming in a tasteless cornstarchy paste. The green prawns were edible but boring. We couldn't wait to get out of there. Don't waste your time!
- The type of fabulous restaurantDBPatentVIPDined on 12/27/2012The type of fabulous restaurant that you find only at a 5-star resort such as the Ritz Carlton. The service is fit for a king and queen. They try just as hard for a family with kids as they do for an older affluent couple. The food is terrific, starting with bread and salad which would be a totally satisfying meals if you wanted to stop at that point. But don't. The rest of the menu is wonderful. The space is large and beautiful such that everyone feels like they have their own private experience. Did I say that we enjoyed it?Special Features:
- The food and the service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2012The food and the service were good. It is however grossly overpriced. Dinner for six with four shared entrees, one bottle of the lower priced wine in their list and a couple of appetizers was nearly $500.
- PHENOMENAL Philippe1DivaVIPDined on 12/24/2012Philippe Chow was INCREDIBLE!!! The Peking Duck was delicious and memorable. Our appetizers were fabulous. The main course of filet mignon was mouth-watering. That, coupled with the duck,-- was EXCEPTIONAL!! Our waiter was extremely attentive and accomodating. It was a first class dining experience. The decor complemented the up-scale food. I will be back for a second visit very soon.Special Features:
- had a great time but afterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2012had a great time but after making my reservation well in advance would of liked to be placed in the dining room not the frontSpecial Features:
- Delicious!MBK1Dined on 12/23/2012Always enjoy the very delicious chinese dishes. Attentive, friendly service. A very enjoyable dinner!Special Features:
- The restaurant used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/22/2012The restaurant used to be good and cool. The cool factor is completely gone and the waiters act like they are doing you a favor. They are inappropriate and we would never go back. Food was ok, but would never go back.
- DisapointedJoanneVIPDined on 12/14/2012This was our favorite last year. My husband ordered chicken with peanut sauce which was good. My Peking duck looked different and tasted awful-sour. The wok fried pork dumplings were heavy and not tasty. Last year I gave a great review.
- Good neighborhood restaurant.GTownBoyVIPDined on 11/24/2012Great lobster cooked with salt and pepper. Always a must when at our Miami home.Special Features:
- The food was absolutely horrible.JerabaumVIPDined on 11/18/2012The food was absolutely horrible. Been to their location in NY and expected the same. Favors were completely off and unbalanced. I love Chinese and Asian foods. This was a disappointment
- Service was great, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2012Service was great, but the food was just average. Fortunately, we had a discount voucher because the regular menu prices is not comparable to the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Great drinks at the bar; lycheeBarbVIPDined on 11/10/2012Great drinks at the bar; lychee martini excellent. Best duck I've ever had.Special Features:
- ELIZABETH TAYLORlizelaVIPDined on 11/3/2012WE HAVE GREAT HOST HERE, DAVID IS A WONDERFUL WAITER WITH ALOT OF CHARM AND WIT. THANKS FOR THE LAUGHS!!!Special Features:
- I've had better Chinese. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2012I've had better Chinese. We did get the TravelZoo special, so I'm thinking they cut corners there. They rushed us through four small courses, a mediocre spring roll each, 2 more courses I have actually forgotten, a sate made out of ground chicken which was odd, to say the least, with a creamy, bland peanut sauce washed over it, and then the duck we ordered. A whole duck, beautifully sliced at the table, with hand made pancakes and also the traditional hoisin sauce, cucumber and scallions. The duck was very, very fatty, the skin had not been drained well, so we ate the meat and left the skin. The cocktails were weak, I had to ask the waiter to tell the bartender to put some vodka in my martini! I think it would be nice for a family occasion.Special Features:
- I would personally say theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2012I would personally say the peking duck is the restaurants specialty. Everything else is pretty much standard tasting like at most restaurants. The Philliptini is strong but very tasteful.Special Features:
- Consistent food quality andJZubiDined on 10/30/2012Consistent food quality and fast service. The duck is exceptional.Special Features:
- Chef's 5 course tasting menuTheatredinerDined on 10/28/2012Chef's 5 course tasting menu was good, Peking duck was excellent, enough to take some home! Valet parking at $15 was excessive, would self park at the meters next time!Special Features:
- Consistently great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/26/20122nd visit and we are absolutely in love with this place! Amazing food, I mean... out of this world! Try the Peking Duck - you'll never want it anywhere else! Service is outstanding and price is right for this level of food! Will certainly go back again!Special Features:
- We love this restaurant inIluvtoeatVIPDined on 10/23/2012We love this restaurant in NYC and go once every two months when we visit. We went to Philippe's the very first night that my husband had arrived in Miami, and it was delicious! However, upon returning, 4 days later, it was a very distasteful experience. No one greeted us upon our entrance into the restaurant. Then, after being seated, the waiter told us that several of their very well known dishes were unavailable! I ordered a cocktail from the waiter, and there was no bartender present to prepare my libation, the waiter, himself, began floundering behind the bar attempting to concoct the beverage. My husband and I quickly left in order to avoid a disastrous dinner. Also, the peanuts on the table were soggy and old. Horrible!
- WhoopsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/22/2012Made res in error Will be in sobe nov 8-15 and will make a proper res Whoops Brian cornell
- Heartbreaking. The new locationOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/20/2012Heartbreaking. The new location has lost its charm. And sadly the service was a bit iffy as well. There was an issue with the wine we ordered versus the wine we ordered and the one we were served (A $60 difference in price) among other things.
- See my Yelp review for furtherOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/14/2012See my Yelp review for further details. http://www.yelp.com/biz/philippe-miami-beach#hrid:JWwoyShwwO7eVyFipXGQ8Q/src:selfSpecial Features:
- Way overpriced. Also newTropicalTraveler78VIPDined on 10/12/2012Way overpriced. Also new location in the old Taverna Opa space is nowhere near as nice as the old location at 23rd. It is not as elegant. For what you get, prices are off the charts. Food and service were good but not amazing.
- Service was a bit slow evenOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/9/2012Service was a bit slow even though they were not busy
- Diasappointed with food. HeardfoodfanVIPDined on 10/7/2012Diasappointed with food. Heard great things. Did not live up to hype. Beautiful decor. service was solid.Special Features:
- Food was good! I guess I'mOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2012Food was good! I guess I'm a bit old fashioned but for the type of restaurant and price point i would have preferred more fine dining etiquette. I prefer the Woman the host or server to pull out the woman's chair and for the woman be served first and they did not do that once the whole evening. The served the wine sampling to the woman and poured the male the first glass on a 150.00 bottle of wine. Not just the wine but the whole evening.
- The food and service is stillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2012The food and service is still great - but the Physical MOVE from Collins to Ocean Drive hasn't been as successful as the food. The new restaurant is not nearly as "swanky" or impressive as the old one and really has lost the ambience that was so lovely before. It feels more like a local neighborhood restaurant than an upscale dining experience and for the prices and the smartness of the staff, that is a shame. The "fit out" of the new place feels temporary, and the nice little touches that were there before are now amiss. It is still freezing cold in there so ladies should take a jacket! Overall the food still rocks but it no longer feels like a "friday/saturday night place to be seen".
- very warm staff provided anOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/22/2012very warm staff provided an intimate experience for my date and myself.Special Features:
- Two of us had the Peking duckMikeVIPDined on 9/4/2012Two of us had the Peking duck and it was marvelous. The other member of our party had the drunken sea bass and was disappointed with the size of the portion. Even though there were only 2 tables occupied at the time we dined, service was not very attentive. We had trouble on more than one occasion to get our server's attention for refills of our water glasses.
- Food is always excellent butfoodie27VIPDined on 8/18/2012Food is always excellent but not the same hip atmosphere since they movedSpecial Features:
- The other location had a muchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2012The other location had a much better vibe and better service. We did the Travelzoo duck deal. Its too much food for two people, the duck alone was 7ibs, but its a good deal especially if you are not a big drinker.Special Features:
- Not what I was expecting...Foodie2nightVIPDined on 8/17/2012Hot and sour soup and pork dumplings was a Major disappointment. Neighborhood takeout is better.I was really looking foward to the Peking Duck and thankfullyIt was very good. Table side prepared and memorable.Shane our server was very good.