3490 Long Beach Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90807Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.philtrani.com/
- Phone: (562) 426-3668
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30AM - 3:00PM.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30PM - 9:00PM. Friday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM. Sunday: 4:00PM - 8:00PM.
Brunch is served on Sunday from 10:00AM - 3:00PM during football season.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Phil Trani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Have it your way, at YOUR restaurant for the day! Book Phil Trani's for your private event. We're perfect for weddings, Birthdays, Anniversaries and everything in between.
The entire place is yours for the day, including the Restaurant, patio, bar, chef, wait staff and band! We take care of the details while you sit back and enjoy the great food and fun.
Please contact us to organize the details!
- Private Party Contact: Phil Trani 5624263668
- Entertainment: FLASHBACK BAND
Enjoy Oldies, Rock and Roll, Blues, Jazz, Motown Classics, and Pop Classics Playing every Friday and Saturday evening, 8pm-12am
THE ROADHOUSE KINGS
Enjoy roadhouse Blues, Bakersfield Country, Southern Rock, Texas Swing, and Rockabilly. Every Thursday Night, 6:30-9:30.
A word from Phil Trani's
Located in Bixby Knolls, Phil Trani's has been serving quality and authenticity since he opened his doors in 1990. Phil Trani's mixes California style with Continental cuisine, offering fresh seafood from around the world, and premium meats highlighting the flavors of Europe. Not only can you converse with Phil while he cooks your meal, but you will be surrounded by nastalgic signatures and memorabilia. Professional athletes, celebrities, journalists, and doctors often frequent Phil Trani's and provide an atmosphere that is all its own.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Phil Trani's reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (8)vibrant bar scene (5)fit for foodies (4)great for lunch (3)romantic (2)good for groups (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Going back for sure...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Loved the memorabilia in the bar. Going back during the day just to see more. Service was great. My steak was excellent. All around a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ever calamari strips!VeryPickyDined on 10/18/2014Make sure you start with this dish! They are by far the best you'll ever indulge in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25 years laterTranis2014Dined on 9/13/2014I used to work in long beach 25 years ago and occasionally went there for lunch. We drove 40 miles from south OC for dinner. We went to see if the band, good rockin daddy, was a band we liked back in the day. sad to say only the name was the same. but this band was still talented and good. just not the same as the one we were looking for. The food was excellent as well. I wish they had a bigger wine list, but the Smith & Hook cabernet did the trick. I would definitely go back for another great dining/music experience. Only deterrent is the distance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunchesgreat4bizDined on 9/4/2014This is a great venue forb business lunches Their service is prompt and professional and the locations is centrally located in Long Beach. Overall great venue to keep you on time for your day as well.Special Features:
- notgood4449Dined on 8/9/2014Disappointed at what P Tranis that I knew years ago, as you can obviously see from the Saturday low dinner crowd, whereas it was always packed on Saturday for Dinner. The Service (new girl) was not good either. Girl was nice/courteous but had no clue to food/beers available.. After service trying to figure out what type beers they had, she finally realized she had a menu for that!! Think you should call in an OUTSIDER expert to help your restaurant (try Gordon Ramsey) he's an idiot but you certainly need OUTSIDE help to convince Mr. Trani that something is wrong as the attendance is dwindling..Special Features:
- Great Dining Service & Sports too!CharlieDined on 8/9/2014Had a great dinner experience on our first visit ...so returned for a "short notice" birthday dinner 3 weeks later. Our waitress not only provided great service the first time -- but on our return, remembered everyone's drink and menu preferences! We've marked this as a "go to" favorite now for a nice dinner with friends. And we're told they are a little less "formal" & have an enthusiastic crowd to attend Game Watching parties during collegiate (pro?) football season as well. Will certainly try it out for a game this season!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last ImpressionHenroseDined on 8/6/2014I have been dining at Trani's since it opened in Long Beach and iy was a favorite eating establishment. At the time I was employed in the area. Since I retired, I have only eaten thee on special occasions and on a few times, when we had special guests. So my comments are for our recent visit after a two year absent. I found the food preparation has is now average.i Previously considered it outstanding. My fish was over breaded and over cooked. The server was pleasant and attentive. I guess my first indication was the board at the entrance which lists the daily specials was mostly pedestrian. It once was very extensive and contained mouth watering entrees. In general, I have lost interest in choosing Trani's as a special destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 73 reviews are from the Phil Trani's reviews archive.
- Lunch MeetinglunchmeetingDined on 7/23/2014The with my business partner was extremely productive because the food, service, ambience and noise level was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodKD45Dined on 7/20/2014We didn't really need to use the reservation, because they have brunch until 3 p.m. on Sunday, then reopen at 4:30. We were the only ones in the restaurant from 5 until about 6. The food is great, and so were the desserts. This was my second time, once with a large group, and this time with a party of 4. The food and the service are consistent, everyone enjoys their meal. No complaints.Special Features:
- GREAT PLACEFALKNERDined on 7/6/2014First time here....Food and service was great...Decor a little dated, could use a face lift.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Experience!BluffHeightsVIPDined on 6/27/2014Food was really good, not overly processed. Service was friendly and knowledgeable. Our server was friendly and make us feel welcomed and at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointingCokpeatsDined on 6/5/2014I took my 21 yr old granddaughter here for lunch. Open Table reservation was not acknowledged when I checked in. The decor and lighting probably looks better at night but during the day it's very dated. I asked to change tables because the table cloth was dirty (bread crumbs and stains) from the previous diner(s). I had the crusted halibut and was pleasantly surprised at the freshness. I expected in house made deserts but the chocolate rasberry truffle looked like it came from a box.
- ChangedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Have eaten at Phil Trani's a few times a year for many years. This was first time everything was not as good as before. After placing our order, it was an hour & 15 minutes before we received our salads & bread. Salad dressing was runny, as if water had been added. Main dishes were nowhere near the quality we've enjoyed in the past. Still nice ambience, great bar/lounge. There was a live band playing I the bar & we were still able to talk in the main dining room while enjoying the band. Not sure if we'll go back.Special Features:
- Best Filet Mignon EvereztuplzDined on 5/16/2014I have to rate the Filet Mignon the best ever. I've been to quite a few places but never had anything this good. Your choice of 8, 12, or 16 ounce at a reasonable price too. Cooked to perfection too. They also offer a 22 ounce bone in Rib eye that I bet is just as enjoyable. Had dinner in the bar, so we could have a great location when the band started at 8:00 PM. The all around service was great and Britteny, our server was extremely helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!LAKings105Dined on 5/10/2014Another a nice dining experience at Phil Trani's. Food and service is always first class.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceLive2dineVIPDined on 5/2/2014Staff is friendly & well-trained. This place is definitely has old school charm, which my wife and I enjoy. It has an old steakhouse feel and a sports decor in the bar. Our server, Kathy, was fabulous and offered excellent service. Every detail of our order was PERFECT. My favorite is the char broiled Halibut served with steamed veggies and French fries. Lunch came with soup or salad. My wife ordered the chicken/artichoke pasta was tasty and a lot - think large portion! Overall, Phil Trani's is a great place to go for a lunch , to have a drink after work, or for a steak or seafood dinner with your wife.Special Features:
- Delightful, reliable diningCapitanDined on 4/19/2014We loved the "eager-to-please" enthusiasm from the hostess, to the wait staff, to the bus captain. Their clear enthusiasm and intrinsic knowledge of the establishment and menu contributed positively to our experience. An old favorite to many, this was only our second time dining here. The house made soups and salad dressings impressed us. The rack of lamb was a special this night, and was tender, cooked perfectly, and delicious. Filet was fabulous, and the diner in our party who had sauteed spinach as a side raved about it, deeply appreciative of this accommodation being made, and suggested it be added as a vegetable choice. We still have not tried desserts; both visits served such ample portions we were simply too full!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhoo RestaurantRegularDined on 4/7/2014Phil Trani's is the best neighborhood restaurant in Long Beach. Phil, himself, creates most of the dishes served at his restaurant. The cocktails, especially the Manhattans and Gibsons are superb. The food is delectable. Everytime my husband and I go to Trani's, my husband has the ribeye steak and I have the calamari steak. My husband has never been disappointed in his ribeyes at Trani's. Phil prepares the calamari steak "abalone style".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHIL TRANI'SPSYCS02Dined on 4/5/2014This is the place for comfort food, old world standards and excellent service. It's great for pre-theatre dinners and is reminiscent of old Hollywood's Brown Derby. Early seatings seem to appeal to seniors, but it's remains a good option for any pre-theatre group.Special Features:
- Great time!LAKings105Dined on 3/15/2014We aiways have an enjoyable evening at Phil Trani's. Service and food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinner placeocladyVIPDined on 3/1/2014Went there on a rainy Saturday night so it was not crowded. We (party of 6) had a very large booth. Service and food both good and, we liked that the meal 'came' with choice of soup or salad along with a full meal. The pricing is very reasonable for what you get. We were there a couple of hours and never felt rushed, even though the restaurant started filling up a little later. THERe is an adjoinging bar and it did get nosy with louder music just about the time we were ready to leave. Only thing that wasn't as good was no 'birthday' dessert. We were celebrating two birthdays and it was on reservation but 'nothing'. Most restaurants do 'something' for birthday guests. but, overall a nice experience. we'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservationsruthDined on 2/22/2014second occasion tranni did not receive reservation! noise level ruins experience!
- v dayHungry1Dined on 2/15/2014Prompt friendly service excelent food a bit dated inside over all a wonderful time. ThxSpecial Features:
- PRE-THEATRE DINNERPSYCS02Dined on 2/15/2014This is a relaxing venue -- very old-style with servers who have been employees for a long time. The food is well-prepared, the portions ample and the environment warm and friendly. It's a good choice for a pre-theatre meal and pleasant for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedmaryssewsDined on 2/13/2014The high points of our dinner were: the reservation process and our Ketel One martini. The server was friendly and attentive. The restaurant has carpeting, not my favorite floor surface for restaurants. Has a tendency to have a slight odor and always appear dirty. This was the case at Phil Trani's. My husband selected the veal parmigiana and I selected the grilled swordfish. Both dishes were mediocre. My home made veal parmigiana and grilled swordfish are much better. Guess I could have just stayed home and cooked. It is an older restaurant and has that "old school" feel to it. There are many other restaurants in the area to choose from. So I doubt that there will be any return visits.
- New Year's Eve2014Dined on 12/31/2013Arrived expecting a set menu which they had last year. In addition to the set menu, we were able to order off the regular menu which was a better value for us. We brought our own wine, and the corkage was only $10. Great meal, great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Steak DinnergigiDined on 12/31/2013We have lived in Long Beach for many years and finally dined at Phil Trani's on New Year's Eve. We were seated immediately and given the wine list. For dinner, both my husband and I each chose steak. One top sirloin and one mignon. Both were cooked perfectly and we enjoyed a delicious salad before our entrée. Service was great even tho' it was obviously a very busy night. We had a great meal and will return in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013Quality and atmosphere with a slightly awkward miss on the wellness of two out of three steaks inspite of our suggestion to butterfly they did not. Also the waitress needs some polish as she was a little rough on the edges. Overall a favorite to simply enjoy good food in an upscale old school environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gem of a restaurantsusanhDined on 12/24/2013My husband, sister, brother in law, mother, and I enjoyed a fabulous Christmas Eve lunch at Trani's in Long Bech. The food was delicious. We all had fish and were very happy with our selections. The fish was fresh, beautifully prepared and very tasty. The menu is extensive and reasonably priced. Nice wine list too. We splurged and order a couple bottles of Flowers Pinot Noir which were lovely, but there are lots of other wines more reasonably priced too. That is what is nice about Trani's. There are lots of options from which to select on the menu (fish, vegan, meat, etc) and wine list. Trani's is a local gem in Long Beach. Great for business lunches and dinners plus just friends getting together. Ambiance is nice and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealShellDined on 12/17/2013Took a friend from out of town here for dinner and she loved it! All meals were wonderful. Nice house wine too.Special Features:
- Phil Trani'sTenusfunDined on 12/13/2013We had a large group of 15 for dinner. Everything was great. Food was good. The service was a little slow, but there were several groups that night so we will try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left to flounderOccasionalgourmetDined on 12/6/2013When I arrived with my date , we were greeted by the hostess who began to lead us to the dining room. When we said we were there for dinner and music, she told us we could eat in the bar. There we sat. Half an hour later the gal tending bar came over and asked if we wanted drinks. We ordered drinks and an appetizer. Another half hour later we got the appetizer and I hoped someone would take our dinner order, but no one did. I got up and went searching for help. We'd been there an hour and not got an order in. The hostess took our order. They brought the food which was quite good. We spent the evening stressed about when we would be taken care of. The whole evening was ruined because the staff was not present. . Food was good.. Service none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always can count on this place!RaulVIPDined on 11/16/2013We went back recently to Phil Trani's and had another nice dinner. My wife and I have come with family and friends for many years and have found that the restaurant continues to offer great meals, excellent service in a family environment. There is also a bar area that is separated by glass to keep the noise level down. We moved over to the bar to listen to music and have a after dinner drink. And of course, there are the many pieces of sports memorabilia to look at. Fun way to end the night. It's always good to have that solid choice for dinner in Long Beach.Special Features:
- Great MenuIdahoTrvlrDined on 11/8/2013I took my Son and his Fiancé out for dinner. I had just got into town and wanted a nice place to take them. The menu was top notch and the food did not disappoint. I would highly recommend this to anyone. Trani's, has a very nice dining area but also has a full service bar that also accommodated a live band. The band was amazing, the bar area has windows so you can seen them performing and they can also be opened or closed. The sound level of the band was loud enough to enjoy but not interrupt our conversations. I would highly recommend Trani's for anyone,Date night, Special occasion, or just to sit in the bar and enjoy some good music. If you are a sports buff you will be amazed at all the autographed memorabilia on display in the Bar.Special Features:
- A TreasuregastronomeDined on 10/25/2013have been coming to this spot for 30+ year. Phil has had it for the last 20 or so, and under his stewardship it is a true favorite spot. Recently moved and am literally across the street from this fine eatery. Love it for Dinner and Lunch, friendly staff, wonderful food, old school atmosphere.Special Features:
- A good findRickeetDined on 9/30/2013Great Food, Service at a very reasonable price. An "Old School" restaurant! also, nice variety on menu! Calamari very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice friendly atmosphere,SteveDined on 9/12/2013Nice friendly atmosphere, good food, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurprisePeruvianDinersVIPDined on 9/12/2013This was my first time here. This is a classic old school steak and pasta place. The food and service were great. I hope they do a large business on the weekends, because the weeknight was pretty sleepy except for the bar where there seemed to be a group celebrating something. That said it was not loud in the restaurant area. I would definitely like to have an excuse to come back.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesLAKings105Dined on 8/31/2013Phil Trani's never disappoints. Been a regular customer for years. Will continue to patronize this oustanding restaurant. Great food at reasonable prices. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate at the bar for an outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2013We ate at the bar for an outstanding experience. Excellent food, service and music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.