2653 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.petitsplats.com/
- Phone: (202) 518-0018
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 4 private rooms with a fireplace.
- Private Party Contact: Cecile or Fred 2025180018
A word from Petits Plats
Petits Plats is a very pretty French bistro located in a town house directly across from the Woodley Park metro stop, the Marriott Wardman and Omni Shoreham Hotels. Step inside and you will find affordable delicious food in a very romantic atmosphere. On cold days, dining next to one of the 4 wood burning fireplaces is a nice touch. Summer time, enjoy the great view sitting outside in our private patio: watching the passersby on busy Connecticut avenue is a major amusement!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Petits Plats - Best Restaurants in Woodley Park ›
Petits Plats reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (19)romantic (16)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (8)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- One of our favoritescopernicus2013Dined on 11/16/2014Petits Plats is one of our favorite French restaurants in DC. The menu is varied, with several interesting specials. The food is well prepared and attractively served. The wine list offers good selections at reasonable prices. The ambiance is very pleasant, and the staff is welcoming and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in someone's homeA2VinceVIPDined on 11/14/2014Found this while staying in Woodley for business. The majority of reviews are spot on. The servers are attentive and knowledgable, the ambience is wonderful (love the open fireplaces) and the food and wine outstanding. I now know what a good cassoulet is...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2014We have always eaten here over the years and have always enjoyed the meal and atmosphere. We just returned from Paris a week ago with the family. We went to this restaurant and it is so much like being back in Paris. Mother portions are not too large, the food was hot and delicious, the wine was spectacular and the atmosphere felt as if we never left France. If you want to feel like you are truly in Paris, do not miss this restaurant. It is truly a gem!Special Features:
- Felt at HomeOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 11/6/2014We dined with with a group of 12. The entire group loved the service, food, etc. The staff and management were very flexible and accommodating. From the moment we walked through the door we felt right at home. The food was excellent and remained several of being in France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliableLlllVIPDined on 11/3/2014I eat here about once or twice a year and always enjoy it. The whole experience is consistent and good. Worth a visit if in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moving On UP!!!ProntomacVIPDined on 10/31/2014Petits Plats is making a substantial move upward in the quality of the cuisine from a kitchen staff that is often busy with groups along with the regular customers. On our evening the restaurant was full, yet service was excellent and we both had fish that was picture-perfectly cooked, and accompanied by wondering grilled/roasted al dente garden veggies. PP should become a serious destination for everyone, and given a really refreshed look by diners who normally visit the highest rated Opentable restaurants. Bravo Petit Plats.Special Features:
- Always a great experience!AStewart13Dined on 10/29/2014We have been patrons of Petits Plats for over 14 years and every visit has been a memorable one. The menu is updated seasonally and always has a special touch inspired by the season. The staff is also very professional and accommodating both for allergies (gluten in particular) and child-friendly preferences. It is definitely a neighborhood gem in Woodley Park!Special Features:
- Still the BestTdalecVIPDined on 10/29/2014It's a real French bistro in DC. Scrumptious food, great service. And you can speak French to the wait staff.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood bistroMEG67Dined on 10/26/2014Petits Plats a delightful place! The service was attentive. The food was very good (the soup of the day -- pumpkin -- was a highlight) and moderate for DC (Our bill for 5 people, including 3 bloody Marys, was just under $100). The only hiccup to our meal was the escargots that we ordered as an appetizer was not brought out until we asked for it (and it was at the end of the meal at this point). The response, however, was appropriate. Our server apologized, said it would take a few minutes to bring out, and gave us the choice of taking it off our bill (of course) or waiting to have it served. Luckily, we chose to wait, because those escargots were delicious - buttery, garlicky, meaty. Even our 10- and 12-year old sons liked them. :-)Special Features:
- NoiseWilliamVIPDined on 10/24/2014The sound level is so high as to make conversation difficult. Management has made no attempt to provide sound absorbent materials anywhere.Special Features:
- A solid FrenchPolicywonk1Dined on 10/13/2014This is very solid French restaurant. I only wish all the waiters were French. Our calamari were quite good. Yellowfin tuna was overcooked. Others praised there viandes and other dishes. Crème brûlée was fine and capuccino was outstanding. I would give it a strong four out of five.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DowntownerDined on 10/12/2014Overall good experience - onion soup was a bit disappointing with not much flavor. Croque Madame was excellent - great cheese - and side salad was fresh and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice french food in Woodley ParkSeasonedtravelerDined on 10/8/2014We had a very nice evening visvisiting with some friends. Service was relaxed and paced according to our needs. The filet was excellent. 2 diners got the rack of lamb and were very pleased. Another person got the sea bass and remarked that it was excellent. The creme brulet was very good. It is directly across from the metro. Very convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The very best french bistro in townFrequentTravelerMNVIPDined on 10/3/2014Oder the 4 course special menu with wine pairing. You will never regret it.Special Features:
- Best Moules Marinieres EverTdalecVIPDined on 9/27/2014I have had steamed mussels all over France and the U.S. None has been as flavorful as the ones served here. Lots of scallion, thyme and garlic in a very buttery broth. Just terrific. Attentive service and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Belgian Restaurant!AllanDined on 9/24/2014We enjoyed our meal at Petits Plats. The food and wine were reasonable and tasty. The wine was good but they could add more value wines under $30. Parking was difficult. But, we parked in the alley behind the restaurant at the direction of the staff. The house is charming and delightful! Worth a meal in DC!Special Features:
- Once again at Petits PlatsCazgrandcruDined on 9/20/2014Four of us ate at Petits Plats the other evening and the food was better than ever. We first started going there when in DC in 2003 - and have returned when we come down (we live in Upstate NY). We had a hard time deciding whether to eat outside or inside but finally decided to eat indoors so that we could converse better. Food was terrific and the staff was very accommodating to our requests for some substitutions in accompanying items on the dishes. We will continue to have Petits Plats on our priority list of Washington restaurants.Special Features:
- Love this placeBuccaneerDined on 8/30/2014Petits Plats is an absolutely charming French bistro. Located in a restored townhouse, the atmosphere is casual but also sophisticated. The decor and lighting is calming and the noise level is wonderfully low-key for my ageing ears. The staff projects a family-like attitude. The cuisine is good, basic French cooking, nothing elaborate but everything seems fresh and properly prepared. The night we were there they were out of foie gras but we have had it before and it is wonderful. Our party had fish or pasta dishes and they were excellent. I love the wine list because there are numerous reasonably priced good bottles. The owner, Fred, is usually there and he loves to chat with his customers. I wish more owners did the same.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014When we arrived, they did not have our reservations. They did find a table for us, as the restaurant was empty. On Saturday they didn't have a lunch menu at noon - it was just branch, with more limited options. The waiter's English was pretty bad - an international student who just arrived, I presume. The food took a long time to a arrive. My seafood salad was more of a fish salad with 2 shrimps. They did not serve any bread. The food was dull.
- Just recently discovered this gemVenusVIPDined on 8/29/2014What a great little restaurant! I understand it has been here for years, but I just discovered it. Wonderful meals and moderately priced. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Worst Experience EverDisappointedDined on 8/29/2014We had a reservation for 8 at 12:30. Two hours later -- yes I said two -- we had neither our food, nor an explanation nor an apology. People all around us were served and then left. We got up and left, and the manager of the restaurant was upset at us! As truly and uniquely awful as the service was, the complete lack of any explanation, information, or apology was so galling as to be (almost) funny. Everyone agreed it was the worst service they had ever seen. Can I give negative stars? DO NOT EAT HERE
- Loved itJodiyDined on 8/28/2014I was in DC for 4 days and I ate at Petits Plats three times, once for dinner and twice for brunch. The service was wonderful each time. The staff is truly charming and the food is excellent, simple French bistro classics, well-prepared.Special Features:
- Always goodWinefishhoopsDined on 8/28/2014Always reliably good. This is not a "great" restaurant but reminds one of so many restaurants in France where the food is dependable, the wine list comprehensive enough to satisfy almost everyone, and the service excellent. Some signs of wear and tear suggest a need for some remodeling, but nothing serious. We enjoy coming back whenever we are in Washington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisited and Still love the placeCidaliseVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is simply a wonderful, affordable great French bistro. The scallops were terrific as was the carpaccio. Lovely, easy place. Contrary to some reviews, there IS air conditioning, and it was delightfully comfortable in 90+ weather in Washington. It is a great place for date night.Special Features:
- FoodieJDined on 8/8/2014Go to this place for lunch over dinner. The service is more relaxed and tentative and the food choices as good or better. Problem is that the same people serve at this place and the pizza place below. PP owns both. In the evening they are like marathon runners going up and down the stairs. But, the food is good and the restaurant interior very pleasant. Small patio for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimbizDined on 8/1/2014Our neighborhood favorite with consistently wonderful bistro food. Always welcomed like a honored guest at a friends home.Special Features:
- The following 558 reviews are from the Petits Plats reviews archive.
- Petit PlatspickydinerDined on 7/22/2014Good food and good range of choices on menu but lots of stairs for an older person or someone with disabilities. No way to get to the rest rooms if you can't climb up and down 2 full flights.Special Features:
- French through and through...DaisyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Petits Plats is just down the street, but I had never tried it before. A Monday night is not really the best test of any restaurant, there were a few diners inside and a large group outside, so it was pretty quiet. Aside from that, the staff are friendly and efficient, the menu has a wide range of options for starters and mains (we didn't look at dessert), and there was quite a good wine list. The food was excellent, delicious, well-seasoned, fresh and interesting. We left full but not stuffed, which is especially nice on a hot summer night. The location is in an old townhouse structure which gives it an intimate, charming atmosphere and I imagine on other nights when there are more diners, it has a convivial buzz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Another wonderful dining experience at Petit Plats! The food is creative and the atmosphere is energetic. It's no wonder the owner of Petit Plats is also in charge of the French Embassy's dining!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2014We were a group of 13 and 1 child. The wait person was excellent. Did not hurry us. Knew the wines, which were excellent. And the food was great. Recommend.Special Features:
- They took Jeremiah!mckcingoliDined on 6/22/2014The folks are Petits Plats are so French that they allowed me to commandeer the outdoor balcony with a friend and my rather large but very well-behaved dog, Jeremiah. We were the only ones on the balcony (there's also an open terrace below), so we didn't disturb anyone. Very nice atmosphere and terrific food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinifredVIPDined on 6/13/2014A very lovely meal. Comfortable environment, service was wonderful. Food fantasticSpecial Features:
- No Air ConditioningSheil31VIPDined on 6/12/2014We have been to this restaurant only twice. One time was during a heat wave when they said the air conditioning was not working. Well it seems they do not have air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan and they open the windows for air to come in. Luckily it was a nice day but the fan was annoyingly blowing on our heads. The food is okay but there are much better French restaurants. Had to ask twice for ketchup for my French Fries. People at the next table had to wait a long time to pay their bill.Special Features:
- Consistently great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/11/2014The food here is wonderful. French fare. Serving size is reasonable--not too big, not too small. The atmosphere is nice. You can stick around and eat a meal without feeling rushed. Service was not as good this time. I have food allergies and my server did not listen. Had to send the meal back twice, but the chef got it right eventually. I think it was a communication issue...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable and GoodProntomacVIPDined on 5/30/2014PP is always a good choice for a pleasant evening--inside or outside--and a solid menu that does not disappoint. The wine list is "notable" because it is one big page of very good selections at reasonable prices. This is always a nice place for families as well.Special Features:
- Nice dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/23/2014Great for a special occasion. We were entertaining our visiting daughter who enjoys French cuisine and it was a very nice change of pace from the chain 'americanized' French restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice romantic spotLB6030Dined on 5/15/2014The food was delicious, the service was ok. It is not for the casual drop in/ walk by. You need to be fully dressed to the nines to eat here----very different than what their website claimed.Special Features:
- Lunch at Petits PlatsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/15/2014Food was good, service only fair at the very best. Ordered one soup, was served the other; at least the server assistants kept filling our water glasses. Overly warm - as it was the day before when I had a meeting there - food was good but atmosphere less than inviting.Special Features:
- bad choice for mothers daygeoromDined on 5/11/2014This was our 1st time at Petits Plats. We order a pate and returned it. The kids order what was supposed to be NY steak and it was some unknow meet, very fatty. My wife and I went for the sea food grill and it was blend. The guys working outside were nice. I will not recommend this place to a friend.
- pleasnantly surprisedSimplefoodDined on 5/11/2014Had never heard of this restaurant and it was very good -- brunch items were excellent and the service was great. Would like try this place for dinner -- as the menu looks like it would be excellent. Simple french foods that are properly prepared and there is something for everyone.Special Features: