2653 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.petitsplats.com/
- Phone: 2025180018
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 4 private rooms with a fireplace.
- Private Party Contact: Cecile or Fred 2025180018
A word from Petits Plats
Petits Plats is a very pretty French bistro located in a town house directly across from the Woodley Park metro stop, the Marriott Wardman and Omni Shoreham Hotels. Step inside and you will find affordable delicious food in a very romantic atmosphere. On cold days, dining next to one of the 4 wood burning fireplaces is a nice touch. Summer time, enjoy the great view sitting outside in our private patio: watching the passersby on busy Connecticut avenue is a major amusement!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Petits Plats reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)romantic (22)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (9)good for groups (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Petits Plats is an absolutely charming French bistro. Located in a restored townhouse, the atmosphere is casual but also sophisticated. The decor and lighting is calming and the noise level is wonderfully low-key for my ageing ears. The staff projects a family-like attitude. The cuisine is good, basic French cooking, nothing elaborate but everything seems fresh and properly prepared. The night we were there they were out of foie gras but we have had it before and it is wonderful. Our party had fish or pasta dishes and they were excellent. I love the wine list because there are numerous reasonably priced good bottles. The owner, Fred, is usually there and he loves to chat with his customers. I wish more owners did the same.Special Features:
- Worst Experience EverDisappointedDined on 8/29/2014We had a reservation for 8 at 12:30. Two hours later -- yes I said two -- we had neither our food, nor an explanation nor an apology. People all around us were served and then left. We got up and left, and the manager of the restaurant was upset at us! As truly and uniquely awful as the service was, the complete lack of any explanation, information, or apology was so galling as to be (almost) funny. Everyone agreed it was the worst service they had ever seen. Can I give negative stars? DO NOT EAT HERE
- Loved itJodiyDined on 8/28/2014I was in DC for 4 days and I ate at Petits Plats three times, once for dinner and twice for brunch. The service was wonderful each time. The staff is truly charming and the food is excellent, simple French bistro classics, well-prepared.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014Always reliably good. This is not a "great" restaurant but reminds one of so many restaurants in France where the food is dependable, the wine list comprehensive enough to satisfy almost everyone, and the service excellent. Some signs of wear and tear suggest a need for some remodeling, but nothing serious. We enjoy coming back whenever we are in Washington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisited and Still love the placeCidaliseDined on 8/22/2014This is simply a wonderful, affordable great French bistro. The scallops were terrific as was the carpaccio. Lovely, easy place. Contrary to some reviews, there IS air conditioning, and it was delightfully comfortable in 90+ weather in Washington. It is a great place for date night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Go to this place for lunch over dinner. The service is more relaxed and tentative and the food choices as good or better. Problem is that the same people serve at this place and the pizza place below. PP owns both. In the evening they are like marathon runners going up and down the stairs. But, the food is good and the restaurant interior very pleasant. Small patio for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimbizDined on 8/1/2014Our neighborhood favorite with consistently wonderful bistro food. Always welcomed like a honored guest at a friends home.Special Features:
- Petit PlatspickydinerDined on 7/22/2014Good food and good range of choices on menu but lots of stairs for an older person or someone with disabilities. No way to get to the rest rooms if you can't climb up and down 2 full flights.Special Features:
- French through and through...DaisyDined on 7/20/2014Petits Plats is just down the street, but I had never tried it before. A Monday night is not really the best test of any restaurant, there were a few diners inside and a large group outside, so it was pretty quiet. Aside from that, the staff are friendly and efficient, the menu has a wide range of options for starters and mains (we didn't look at dessert), and there was quite a good wine list. The food was excellent, delicious, well-seasoned, fresh and interesting. We left full but not stuffed, which is especially nice on a hot summer night. The location is in an old townhouse structure which gives it an intimate, charming atmosphere and I imagine on other nights when there are more diners, it has a convivial buzz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Another wonderful dining experience at Petit Plats! The food is creative and the atmosphere is energetic. It's no wonder the owner of Petit Plats is also in charge of the French Embassy's dining!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2014We were a group of 13 and 1 child. The wait person was excellent. Did not hurry us. Knew the wines, which were excellent. And the food was great. Recommend.Special Features:
- They took Jeremiah!mckcingoliDined on 6/22/2014The folks are Petits Plats are so French that they allowed me to commandeer the outdoor balcony with a friend and my rather large but very well-behaved dog, Jeremiah. We were the only ones on the balcony (there's also an open terrace below), so we didn't disturb anyone. Very nice atmosphere and terrific food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinifredVIPDined on 6/13/2014A very lovely meal. Comfortable environment, service was wonderful. Food fantasticSpecial Features:
- No Air ConditioningSheil31VIPDined on 6/12/2014We have been to this restaurant only twice. One time was during a heat wave when they said the air conditioning was not working. Well it seems they do not have air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan and they open the windows for air to come in. Luckily it was a nice day but the fan was annoyingly blowing on our heads. The food is okay but there are much better French restaurants. Had to ask twice for ketchup for my French Fries. People at the next table had to wait a long time to pay their bill.Special Features:
- Consistently great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/11/2014The food here is wonderful. French fare. Serving size is reasonable--not too big, not too small. The atmosphere is nice. You can stick around and eat a meal without feeling rushed. Service was not as good this time. I have food allergies and my server did not listen. Had to send the meal back twice, but the chef got it right eventually. I think it was a communication issue...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable and GoodProntomacVIPDined on 5/30/2014PP is always a good choice for a pleasant evening--inside or outside--and a solid menu that does not disappoint. The wine list is "notable" because it is one big page of very good selections at reasonable prices. This is always a nice place for families as well.Special Features:
- Nice dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/23/2014Great for a special occasion. We were entertaining our visiting daughter who enjoys French cuisine and it was a very nice change of pace from the chain 'americanized' French restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice romantic spotLB6030Dined on 5/15/2014The food was delicious, the service was ok. It is not for the casual drop in/ walk by. You need to be fully dressed to the nines to eat here----very different than what their website claimed.Special Features:
- Lunch at Petits PlatsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/15/2014Food was good, service only fair at the very best. Ordered one soup, was served the other; at least the server assistants kept filling our water glasses. Overly warm - as it was the day before when I had a meeting there - food was good but atmosphere less than inviting.Special Features:
- bad choice for mothers daygeoromDined on 5/11/2014This was our 1st time at Petits Plats. We order a pate and returned it. The kids order what was supposed to be NY steak and it was some unknow meet, very fatty. My wife and I went for the sea food grill and it was blend. The guys working outside were nice. I will not recommend this place to a friend.
- pleasnantly surprisedSimplefoodDined on 5/11/2014Had never heard of this restaurant and it was very good -- brunch items were excellent and the service was great. Would like try this place for dinner -- as the menu looks like it would be excellent. Simple french foods that are properly prepared and there is something for everyone.Special Features:
- The following 543 reviews are from the Petits Plats reviews archive.
- Delicious in DCRedefinedivyDined on 4/27/2014On Saturday April 26th I had brunch with a group of 10 and all of us loved our meal. We all cleaned our plates that's how much we loved it! I loved it so much I went back the next day for brunch again before returning to New York! Our Waiter Max was awesome! When I visit DC again, I will make sure to stop by again!Special Features:
- Thankfully We Finally WentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2014We were told about Petits Plats about 12 years ago when we first moved to the region. We kept trying other restaurants or forgetting try Petits Plats. We finally went with two other couples. We loved it! Simple presentation of traditional French cuisine. The Foie Gras and Confit are excellent. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable about the wine list. Everyone was glad we choose Petits Plat. We'll go back.Special Features:
- EasTer family brunch-in Paris!commishDined on 4/20/2014If you miss Paris. Go sit outside at petit plat! Picturesque setting tres francais, authentic and lovely champagne drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchdcgalDined on 4/20/2014My friends and I came here for Easter Brunch and we loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great for the familyfrenchfoodieDined on 4/19/2014It is rare for my entire family to be satisfied by their meals. From the bread to the escargot to the scallops, everything was delicious. I definitely recommend ordering seafood. The fish and seafood specials came with great sauces and we could not stop dipping the bread in everything. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014Loved this rest. for our family. The teens thought it was elegant and fun. Food seemed authentic french and the service was warm but not over-bearing. I recommend the steak...among the best we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter Disappeared71terpVIPDined on 4/13/2014Without going though the entire saga, after delivering the drink order, our waiter disappeared. Later a waitress came over to the table and asked if there was a problem. We advised her no and gave her our orders and service then improved.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningUKFoodiesVIPDined on 4/11/2014Met a friend for a Friday night meal at Petit Plats. The inside dining room was very quaint, but in the heat it was quite warm. My friend and I shared two appetizers (both salads) that were lovely. I had the trout with almonds and the fish was cooked to perfection. Our lovely and very friendly server also recommended a divine glass of Sancerre. Would return for sure - a nice neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- I went to Petit Plats forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/10/2014I went to Petit Plats for lunch in the middle of week. Got a nice seat at the window. I started with the foie gras with cherry jam, which was really lovely. For the entree, I had the special, which was trout with asparagus and mushrooms with potatoes and ham. Really buttery and flavorful. I also got the bread pudding, which I probably didn't need, since I was pretty full already, but I love bread pudding so much. The waitstaff is very pleasant and professional. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- What a wonderful meal!WillowjaneDined on 4/2/2014I brought my mother to visit Washington. We were staying nearby and we just didn't want the usual hotel type food. I had heard of this place and thought I would give it a try. From the minute we walked up the stairs to the entrance we were greeted and treated with such respect and consideration. It was a bit cool for us to eat outside so we opted for inside. The room we ate in (3 nights of the trip!) was a cozy little space with great ambiance. The service was impeccable and the food was just simply fantastic! Over the 3 dinners we had mussels, duck confit, grilled branzino, salmon, foie gras, a great salad with beets and a wonderful onion soup. The wine that was recommended was spot on. I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True French cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014Tasty, cosy, friendly, we believed that we were in a warmful restaurant in the South of France. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!bbbbVIPDined on 3/14/2014One of the best French restaurants in town! I love the mussels and the beef bourginon is excellent! Wait staff was very nice and prompt.Special Features:
- bon dejeunerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2014a very nice spot for a lunch date.. took a vacation day on a friday, hence the bottle of burgundy (BEAUNES, 1ER CRU "LES GREVES, DOMAINE MAILLARD '08) that i will be scouring wine shop shelves for.. the snails were good for the DC area, as was the margerita pizza.. very cozy, so you have to make an effort not to listen to nearby diners...but no complaints.. had a fire going which definitely added to the ambiance.. will go back for another special-occasion-skip-work lunch..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!ThomasDined on 3/3/2014I was in town for a conference, and one of my colleagues suggested Petit Plats. I had a frisée salad to start with foie gras and duck confit. Perfect. I followed that with a fruites de mer and risotto main. Excellent. A properly prepared Ricard made me feel I was in an authentic French place. Nice selection of wines. Strongly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice find on a snowy eveningJBobDined on 3/3/2014Was looking for a place in walking distance of my hotel on one of Washington's seemingly endless number of snowy evenings this past winter. Walked in, was seated in a room with a crackling fire in the fireplace. Enjoyed a traditional French Onion Soup and Beef Bourgignone. Food, atmosphere and service all came to together to make a memorable evening. Only regret is that my wife wasn't there to enjoy it with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staff was not knowledgableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2014Wait staff was not knowledgable with the wine list . Over priced food.Special Features:
- Liked itBigGVADined on 2/24/2014Great onion soup and great food. Waiter was excellent too. Just stumbled across this place on the internet looking for a restaurant near the hotel my client was staying in. Glad I didSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningEmilyjhVIPDined on 2/15/2014We met a group of friends who were staying at the Omni hotel for dinner. Very convenient walking location for them. Delicious, pleasant evening for all. The food was beautifully presented, the waiter attentive, and the atmosphere charming. Highly recommend .Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!SaintVIPDined on 2/14/2014This was our first visit to Petit Plats and we found it to be quite charming! It was a perfect neighborhood D.C. setting. Our food was very well prepared and we would return.Special Features: