190 State St
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.petitejacqueline.com/
- Phone: 2075537044x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Steve Corry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We cater! We can meet your catering needs from family-style take out to fully-staffed events. Please contact us at 207.553.7044 for more details.
- Entertainment: "Happy Hour" is Monday through Saturday, from 11:30am - 6pm, at our bar. 1/2 price glasses of wine and draft beers!
"Dinner and a Movie" the first Sunday night of each month, resuming on Sunday, November 3. See our website for more information: www.petitejacqueline.com.
- Special Events: Join us for a special Beaujolais Nouveau release dinner on Sunday, November 24th! We will be offering a 3-course tasting menu, optional wine pairings, and FREE beaujolais nouveau! Reservations recommended.
We will be OPEN for Christmas Eve this year. Join us!
A word from Petite Jacqueline
Petite Jacqueline is a casual French bistro located in the heart of Portland's West End.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Petite Jacqueline - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Petite Jacqueline reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (66)great for outdoor dining (37)special occasion (34)romantic (31)notable wine list (22)great for brunch (18)great for lunch (17)scenic view (5)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Exceeded expectations all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014This truly is a gem - felt like we were back in Paris with the foods that are classic French and utterly delicious. The chaucuterie platter was excellent - the rabbit rillette was to "die for". Only the sole, as part of the prix fixe, was too salty for the dish but all else was exquisite. Will certainly return - more rabbit rillette, please, for me.Special Features:
- Knock your socks off brunch!SoPoFoodExplorerDined on 9/28/2014We have had dinner numerous times at Petite Jacqueline, with varying experiences. The Sunday brunch was special. Excellent food perfectly prepared. And outstanding coffee! We will go back this weekend and take guests.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedluvtoeatoutDined on 9/18/2014Our latest experience was less than impressive, and we eat out on a regular basis. The hanger steak was the worst we've ever had - undercooked and dry, when ordering medium well. The portions were relatively small, for the price. Onion soup was just "ok". Service was only fair, rushed and disorganized. Will likely not visit again, given many other superior choices in the area.
- Paris in PortlandDisappointingDined on 9/17/2014Understated, cozy, delicious, charming...perfect little bistro that hit all the right notes. The butternut pasta was scrumptious! It's my new favorite place in Portland.Special Features:
- eatinginCarmelVIPDined on 9/13/2014Getting better and better, food excellent, attention to detail, friendly service. Lovely spot for a summer or winter meal.Special Features:
- EmmajackEmmaJackDined on 9/7/2014Everything was fantastic... They recovered with flair after the lobster appetizer was served with some uncooked pieces of lobster. Sometimes you feel weird sending something back but the waitress made the situation comfortable. A new appetizer was brought over immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poguecat01Dined on 9/7/2014A very special place, fab food, great service,nice wine list. I highly recommend this beautiful place, understated dining room, very comfortable, but elegant as well!! I think children should be left with a sitter though since this is a fine dining experience. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectcouplafoodloversDined on 9/7/2014Every course was fresh, balanced, and beautifully plated, and the service was friendly, efficient, and warm. The starters were lovely. I had a bowl of tomato soup that tasted like the garden. My husband had a beautiful salad of fresh tomatoes. He is a self-proclaimed "burger snob", and has announced a new top burger on his favorites list (he woke up the next morning in cheerful reverie regarding said burger). I devoured the perfect combination of vegetables, flavors and textures which accompanied my delicious steak au poivre. We shared five types of cheese for dessert and were impressed with the variety and quality of items presented. An eclair, brought to a nearby beach at sunset, was a delicious finale to the perfect meal.Special Features:
- Want to return for dinnerChrisSt88Dined on 9/2/2014Went early for lunch so understandably menu was limited. Enjoyed what I had, as did everyone else at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Meal!AmeliaDined on 8/23/2014We had a delicious meal at Petite Jacqueline! We brought our teenage daughters and even they enjoyed the food! We loved the cheese plate appetizer and everyone loved the steak.Special Features:
- OldmaineguyDined on 8/22/2014The sweetbreads were excellent if a bit scanty. The lotte was good, but not special. Nice house wine by the carafe. Excellent service and a bistro atmosphere.Special Features:
- Disappointedbostontraveler48VIPDined on 8/18/2014We had enjoyed this restaurant last year but were quite disappointed on our recent visit. We were quickly seated but then it was ages before the waitress reappeared to take our drinks order. One drink was delivered but not the other, I had to snag a busboy. The meal finally arrived but my wife's steak was not cooked as requested. By then it was late and not worth asking for a re-do. Overall, not a good dining experience.
- Lovely diner outing!CateinDined on 8/16/2014Adorable outside and inside the restaurant. I liked the mixed crowd (younger and older), the attentive staff and the warm atmosphere. I enjoyed the food, the wine and the appropriate pricing. Lovely place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real French CuisineElliottDined on 8/14/2014A delightful dining experience! Great variety on the menu and everything was cooked and seasoned to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific dinnermurphDined on 8/10/2014The restaurant was recommended by our host at the inn on carleton. It was a wonderful way to end our day in Portland. Terrific food and friendly peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbearable Noise levelRedfranVIPDined on 8/9/2014We dined at Petite Jacqueline on a Saturday night perhaps that was the problem. The restaurant was so crowded that the servers could not move. The noise level was unbearable. In fact we cut our dinner short just to escape. I ordered the chicken entre which was quite good but the serving was odd...2 very large pieces of chicken and three carrots. My husband had hanger steak which he deemed overly salty and dry. We were so disappointed by the entire experience.
- Disappointing !!LetseatDined on 8/8/2014We consider ourselves moderate foodies having dined in some of the best restaurants in Boston, NYC and Washington, D.C. . This was our first time to "PJ" and there will be no need to go again. We had the roasted chicken and the steak. My chicken was undercooked and flavorless... Unheard of in a French restaurant. My husbands steak was almost well done when he ordered rare and the escargot was dry... Where was the garlic ? The onion soup was average at best. It was a nice summer night in Portland unfortunately we can not say the same for our meal at "pjs".
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014Amazing food and service. Petite Jacqueline is my favorite restaurant in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerFoodieJimDined on 8/4/2014It was my second time here in two weeks and my third in two months. It's always satisfying. I got the fixed price meal,but that meant the food was chosen for me. I had the duck bacon,which was ok,but would rather have had cheese. The sauce for my fish was good,but I'd had other sauces here that I preferred. The pot de creme for dessert was delicious.I probably shouldn't have gotten the fixed price meal, but it was still certainly satisfying.Special Features:
- Great servicesullyVIPDined on 8/3/2014The service was spectacular. Every question was answered. Service was humorous prompt and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palate playlandDrBobDined on 8/2/2014I am no stranger to P.J. As a repeat customer I am never disappointed. Excellent food a reasonable prices. Great place to eat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceJudiVIPDined on 8/1/2014We wanted to enjoy outdoor dining during First Friday Art Walk and found it at Petite Jacqueline. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about both the wine list and the menu. He recommended two wines for me and brought tastes of both. He chose a remarkable dry rose. We shared a green salad and deviled eggs. Both were extremely tasty. I had "moules et frites" (mussels and fries) that was served with grilled toast. The mustard based sauce was delicious enough to soak up with toast and bread. My husband enjoyed steak frites. For desert I had blueberry tart, fresh and light. Eating outdoors during art walk was a special treat. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Portland. We have been there many times, and we ALWAYS enjoy the food, the size, casual atmosphere, everything! We like to go after visiting the Museum and often meet people there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still in my Top 3GinaZVIPDined on 7/27/2014Love this place. As usual waitstaff were attentive and at the ready. We got the seat we always get (window) and usually request. I had the Steak AuPoivre cooiked to perfection and the root veggies were delish. My husband got the Poisson du Jour (SeaBass). The salad is the one item we consistantly order each time we visit. My only critique was that the usual dressing they had for the salad, a champagne vinaigarette, was changed and while very good, not what I was hoping for. Still a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Delicious lunchSlouDined on 7/24/2014Went here for a special occasion lunch. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. Would definitely eat at Petite Jacqueline again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Summer NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014We lingered over our meal on a recent Tuesday night before a show at the State Theater. Sitting outside is a great way to experience the energy of the city. Our server was wonderful - PJ strikes a nice balance with formal service standards in a more casual setting. The food was amazing from our starters of foie gras and the onion/bacon tart, entrees of lobster for me and duck for my husband, a delightful 3-cheese course before dessert, and then a sublime eclair to finish the evening, all with perfectly paired wine, port, and cocktails. PJ continues to be a delight in this wonderful foodie city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunch!SH207Dined on 7/20/2014This is one of my new favorite spots for brunch in my neighborhood. The coffee is great (both drip and espresso based drinks), the staff are friendly and helpful, and the food is excellent. I had the poutine this time (braised short ribs over fried potato cubes with melty cheese curds and a white gravy, served with a poached egg), and it was salty, lovely, had great flavor and texture. My friends had the veggie omelet special served with dressed greens, and the petit dejeuner - basic two egg breakfast, and the house salad with smoked salmon. We were all happy with our choices.Special Features:
- Prix Fixe FanMDR5Dined on 7/12/2014My girlfriend and I had a fantastic dinner. We both chose the pix fixe meal and it did not disappoint. Great meal and great value. Planning a return soon...Special Features:
- Excellent Reasonable French CuisineUlteemitVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was our second visit to Petite Jacqueline. Each time we were passing through on our way north for vacation. My pan-seared haddock was delicious, fresh and flavorful. My wife's roast chicken was moist, tender and perfectly cooked. Side vegetables of sauteed asparagus and green beans were also delicious. The Sancere white wine complemented the dinner splendidly. We heartily recommend Petite Jacquelines!Special Features:
- Un vrai bistrocmole2Dined on 7/11/2014A real French bistro in Portland, Maine? Mais oui! Petite Jacqueline has a classic menu, well-prepared. Service is relaxed and friendly and the small, well-chosen wine list is studded with regional gems.Special Features:
- Petite bistro, grande plaisirFishFanDined on 7/10/2014I love this little place! The ambience is as close to that of a French bistro as one can achieve in Portland, Maine. The food is consistently wonderful -- the braised pork ribs I consumed Thursday eve were fall-off-the-bone tender and succulent. I have also enjoyed the rabbit, the Wednesday plat du jour; the steak frites; the poulet roti and many other dishes. They also serve roasted marrow bones, as well as traditional French escargot, fresh oysters. The bar mixes a mean martini, including a tasty summertime martini, the French Blonde, made with vodka, Lillet and grapefruit juice. (One caveat: the metal bar stools are not comfortable; I'm told new bar seats are on order.) A bistro for touts les jours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFsteveDined on 7/10/2014Visiting the Portland area had dinner here one evening enjoyed so much that we went back the following evening to have dinner. Only issue is finding parking on the city streets - bring your quarters, dimes and nickels for the parking meters - metered parking ends at 6 pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun foodberdieVIPDined on 7/9/2014lunch wasgreat prefer the dinner menu but it is always a pleasure to have lunch or dinnerSpecial Features:
- Another great Portland restaurantNymaineVIPDined on 7/7/2014Not in the busy old port..charming neighborhood quiet restaurant, great service delicious food.Special Features:
- Tasty food, excellent serviceLailakVIPDined on 6/30/2014Really nice bistro, high ceilings, bright and nice outdoor seating although the street is a bit traffic noisy. Great service and very friendly staff, the food is super.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The team at Jacqueline is eager to please and accommodate your every need. The food is fresh, well prepared and finely served. You'll find a wine that matches your meal at prices that are not outrageous. If you're luck you'll have a saxophone serenade you from the square across the street. Solid choice for Portland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb meal and night outMaineJaneDined on 6/17/2014Three of us celebrated a friend's birthday on a Tuesday evening at PJ. The menu offerings were all tempting and the execution of the service and the food was superb. I had the moules dijonnaise -- mouth watering. A friend had the steak frites -- the fries, she declared, were the best she had ever had. The desserts -- eclairs and caramel pot de creme -- were delicate in texture and intense in flavor. The server recommended a hearty Rose wine that complemented the meal beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Sunday eveningBearDined on 6/15/2014The Oysters were the best we've had in Portland. The bread was a little old but the herb butter made up for it. We really enjoyed the steak au poive and the salad was terrific. We love french food and this meal did not disappoint. Can't wait to go back and try more entrees and perhaps their brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/11/2014Even though we had reservations, the haughty hostess barely acknowledeged us. The restaurant was not busy, but it took nearly 15 minutes before we had menus or water. Once the waiter came, he was attentive. My dining companion enjoyed the special--rabbit. My skirt steak was dry, tough, and lukewarm. In my opinion, this restaurant is overrated and over priced. The coffee was the highlight of the meal. Don't waste your time or money. There are many superior options in Portland.
- MemorableRupertpbDined on 6/8/2014We had a delightful early dinner of various appetizers and martinis. The food was awesome and the service was great. A real find for this occasional Portland visitor (and former resident)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.