190 State St
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.petitejacqueline.com/
- Phone: (207) 553-7044
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Steve Corry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We cater! We can meet your catering needs from family-style take out to fully-staffed events. Please contact us at 207.553.7044 for more details.
- Entertainment: "Happy Hour" is Monday through Saturday, from 11:30am - 6pm, at our bar. 1/2 price glasses of wine and draft beers!
"Dinner and a Movie" the first Sunday night of each month, resuming on Sunday, November 3. See our website for more information: www.petitejacqueline.com.
- Special Events: Join us for a special Beaujolais Nouveau release dinner on Sunday, November 24th! We will be offering a 3-course tasting menu, optional wine pairings, and FREE beaujolais nouveau! Reservations recommended.
We will be OPEN for Christmas Eve this year. Join us!
A word from Petite Jacqueline
Petite Jacqueline is a casual French bistro located in the heart of Portland's West End.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Petite Jacqueline - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Petite Jacqueline reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (62)special occasion (36)romantic (31)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (16)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (10)good for groups (7)scenic view (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Lunch ar Petite JaquelinelunchwithhubbyDined on 11/10/2014The service was excellent without being overbearing. The onion soup was very good---to the last drop. We ate a light lunch of the Duck Rillette--interesting and my husband had oysters on the half shell which were delicious. It was pricey, but good and very relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch late fallInkycatDined on 11/9/2014We've had dinner here once and decided to try it for brunch. We weren't disappointed. We had the patisserie plate: warm pumpkin beignets with caramel dipping sauce, a homemade raised sugar donut and a slice of blackberry tart. Along with that we had the home cured gravlax and lots of coffee. The restaurant looks out on Longfellow Square, a section of old red brick Portland. Very appealing on a bright November morning. We'll certainly go back.Special Features:
- JillyVIPDined on 11/3/2014Great for lunch as it is much quieter than at dinner. Food is great st both times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for special occasionsgastrogirlDined on 11/1/2014I brought a good friend here for her birthday. The food was excellent, we had an amazing tarte flambe, and equally amazing boeuf bourguignon. The server was friendly and helpful with the menu and the food was well timed. The restaurant is on the small side and reservations go quickly (we went on a Saturday evening) so planning ahead is key. They also have a nice bar although I do not know if they serve food at the bar. Overall the experience was very good and I would definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- Another pleasant eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014This is bistro food and atmosphere. The atmosphere is bustling, a bit noisy, but upbeat. We started with the flavorful carrot soup, followed by a tarte flambe split between us, with its thick layer of deliciously caramelized onions and smoky lardons on a thin crust. The steak frite was perfectly prepared and delicious, while the seared duck breast was cooked just right but somewhat one dimensional in flavor. The roasted fall vegetables were a good accompaniment. The pot du creme and creme brûlée were both delicious for dessert. Service was efficient and attentive. With a large carafe of the decent house wine, the final bill for two was under $150, so a good value for the quality of food received, especially in Portland.Special Features:
- Great RestuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Before the dinner menu, which is available after 5:00pm, a limited bistro menu is served. We arrived very early/too early for our 5:00 dinner reservation. Restaurants use this break between lunch and dinner to prepare, so when we entered the restaurant at 4:15, we asked if they didn't mind if we took our table and waited until the kitchen was ready to serve dinner. The staff was happy to accommodate. We ordered a bottle of flat water. Soon after we were told that the kitchen was ready. Knock out dinner. La mer, salades, soupes, plats and dessert were wonderful. We loved the location, window front and street view. What we had...local oysters, simple salad, onion soup, Steak Frites, Poulet Rotis, Boeuf Bourguignon and Creme Brulee.Special Features:
- wonderful French Bistro DinningAjax449VIPDined on 10/20/2014Who knew you could get such wonderful quality outside of France. Wonderful French dinning experience at Petite Jacqueline! Would highly recommend. Merci to the chef and staff for a lovely experience!Special Features:
- Excellent foodPortlandVoxDined on 10/19/2014The food was delicious. I had the prefix menu of salad, chicken and chocolate dessert. Everything was nicely platted and very tasty. Server was attentive and helpful. She had an answer for every question about the menu. Seating felt a little cramped but navigatable. The French baguette with herb infused butter was lovely. Fall had just arrived and we were seated in the front half of the restaurant. Here, you felt a blast of cold when the front door was opened. Nothing the traditional doorway curtain won't solve. Noise level increased as the dinner went on and seats filled up. High ceilings with no sound buffer make it hard to hear or be heard, especially for older patrons. But the food is wonderful and worth it. I will dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!!!HappydinersDined on 10/18/2014Our first time. Can't wait to go back. Great service. Wonderful food. Enjoyed the cozy atmosphere! Some areas seemed drafty but the waiter quickly responded to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend visitorWeekend11visitorDined on 10/18/2014Too much distraction outside the window overlooking Longfellow Square. The presentation of our plates; the flavor and tradition of our selections, having recently been in France was good. Our waiter was exceptional, and offered advice. French cuisine, with North American adjustments. Well worth the visit.Special Features:
- A favorite spot!pbmaritimerDined on 10/18/2014We have dined at Petite Jacqueline twice before and really like it. We have it on the must do list each time we travel to Portland. We were not disappointed. Food, service and atmosphere is first rate. The duck was the best ever! It surpassed some of the duck meals in France!!! Enjoyed the charcuterie offerings as well as the mains and our server was pleasant, efficient and helpful! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Tamarra EganOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Food was excellent although the portions were a bit small. The ambiance was wonderful. The service was OK, but our waitress seemed like she was in a bad mood. I would go back the next time I visit Portland.Special Features:
- First Rate BistroStringsriderVIPDined on 10/12/2014If you are looking for a casual bistro with consistently first rate food and friendly, unpretentious service, this is your place. Whether you want a relatively quick bite before a show at One Longfellow across the street or a liesurely casual dinner, this is your place. It is our go to choice in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Brunch!CarinVIPDined on 10/12/2014We were in Portland for the weekend, enjoying all the dining options. Petite Jacqueline surpassed our expectations for brunch. There is outdoor seating, but it was a bit cool, so we enjoyed the Parisian Bistro feel inside. Beautifully high ceilings with great, antique pictures were enjoyable while waiting for our food. We started with an order of donuts, which were absolutely delicious! They were warm, flaky on the outside, with a scrumptious glaze. The omlette of the day had short rib and mushrooms, with a petite salad verte. The hash was unsurpassed by any, specifically with it's mornay sauce. Petite Jacqueline is an absolute must, when you are in Portland!Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014Everything on the menu is excellent, my favorite is the poulet rotisSpecial Features:
- Wonderful French comfort foodSuzanneDined on 10/7/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Petite Jacqueline while visiting Portland. The boeuf bourguignonne was outstanding and the eclairs we had for dessert were the best I've eaten in years.Special Features:
- love classic frenchtpetDined on 10/5/2014It's comfort food. Great steak frites and classic items on menu.Special Features:
- Best Food in PortlandrotoroudaDined on 10/5/2014Every morsel was sublime. The two salads we tried were both unusual, fresh and distinctive, especially the Lyonnnaise salad, consisting of frisee lettuce topped with a soft-boiled egg. The entrees were cooked to perfection--we ordered the grilled fish of the day and the hanger steak and both were great, with wonderful sides of green beans and yams that were cooked plainly, not smothered in sweet sauces like you find elsewhere. Service was impeccable. There is no better meal in this city, I suspect. The only negative is that the restaurant is very noisy and not a great atmosphere, seems more like a quick in and out spot. But the food will make you want to linger. We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014We had a lovely lunch at Petite Jaqueline. The service was excellent and the food was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphere, food disappointingMimirodDined on 10/2/2014Enjoyed the bright airy feel to the space and waitress was pleasant and accommodating. But food was much better on my first visit last year. Salad was tasty, and my husband liked the braised beef, but my fish was so heavily salted that i could not eat it.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectations all aroundRilletteToDieForDined on 9/28/2014This truly is a gem - felt like we were back in Paris with the foods that are classic French and utterly delicious. The chaucuterie platter was excellent - the rabbit rillette was to "die for". Only the sole, as part of the prix fixe, was too salty for the dish but all else was exquisite. Will certainly return - more rabbit rillette, please, for me.Special Features:
- Knock your socks off brunch!SoPoFoodExplorerVIPDined on 9/28/2014We have had dinner numerous times at Petite Jacqueline, with varying experiences. The Sunday brunch was special. Excellent food perfectly prepared. And outstanding coffee! We will go back this weekend and take guests.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedluvtoeatoutDined on 9/18/2014Our latest experience was less than impressive, and we eat out on a regular basis. The hanger steak was the worst we've ever had - undercooked and dry, when ordering medium well. The portions were relatively small, for the price. Onion soup was just "ok". Service was only fair, rushed and disorganized. Will likely not visit again, given many other superior choices in the area.
- Paris in PortlandDisappointingDined on 9/17/2014Understated, cozy, delicious, charming...perfect little bistro that hit all the right notes. The butternut pasta was scrumptious! It's my new favorite place in Portland.Special Features:
- eatinginCarmelVIPDined on 9/13/2014Getting better and better, food excellent, attention to detail, friendly service. Lovely spot for a summer or winter meal.Special Features:
- EmmajackEmmaJackDined on 9/7/2014Everything was fantastic... They recovered with flair after the lobster appetizer was served with some uncooked pieces of lobster. Sometimes you feel weird sending something back but the waitress made the situation comfortable. A new appetizer was brought over immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poguecat01Dined on 9/7/2014A very special place, fab food, great service,nice wine list. I highly recommend this beautiful place, understated dining room, very comfortable, but elegant as well!! I think children should be left with a sitter though since this is a fine dining experience. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectcouplafoodloversDined on 9/7/2014Every course was fresh, balanced, and beautifully plated, and the service was friendly, efficient, and warm. The starters were lovely. I had a bowl of tomato soup that tasted like the garden. My husband had a beautiful salad of fresh tomatoes. He is a self-proclaimed "burger snob", and has announced a new top burger on his favorites list (he woke up the next morning in cheerful reverie regarding said burger). I devoured the perfect combination of vegetables, flavors and textures which accompanied my delicious steak au poivre. We shared five types of cheese for dessert and were impressed with the variety and quality of items presented. An eclair, brought to a nearby beach at sunset, was a delicious finale to the perfect meal.Special Features:
- Want to return for dinnerChrisSt88Dined on 9/2/2014Went early for lunch so understandably menu was limited. Enjoyed what I had, as did everyone else at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Meal!AmeliaDined on 8/23/2014We had a delicious meal at Petite Jacqueline! We brought our teenage daughters and even they enjoyed the food! We loved the cheese plate appetizer and everyone loved the steak.Special Features:
- OldmaineguyDined on 8/22/2014The sweetbreads were excellent if a bit scanty. The lotte was good, but not special. Nice house wine by the carafe. Excellent service and a bistro atmosphere.Special Features:
- Disappointedbostontraveler48VIPDined on 8/18/2014We had enjoyed this restaurant last year but were quite disappointed on our recent visit. We were quickly seated but then it was ages before the waitress reappeared to take our drinks order. One drink was delivered but not the other, I had to snag a busboy. The meal finally arrived but my wife's steak was not cooked as requested. By then it was late and not worth asking for a re-do. Overall, not a good dining experience.
- Lovely diner outing!CateinDined on 8/16/2014Adorable outside and inside the restaurant. I liked the mixed crowd (younger and older), the attentive staff and the warm atmosphere. I enjoyed the food, the wine and the appropriate pricing. Lovely place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real French CuisineElliottDined on 8/14/2014A delightful dining experience! Great variety on the menu and everything was cooked and seasoned to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific dinnermurphDined on 8/10/2014The restaurant was recommended by our host at the inn on carleton. It was a wonderful way to end our day in Portland. Terrific food and friendly peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbearable Noise levelRedfranVIPDined on 8/9/2014We dined at Petite Jacqueline on a Saturday night perhaps that was the problem. The restaurant was so crowded that the servers could not move. The noise level was unbearable. In fact we cut our dinner short just to escape. I ordered the chicken entre which was quite good but the serving was odd...2 very large pieces of chicken and three carrots. My husband had hanger steak which he deemed overly salty and dry. We were so disappointed by the entire experience.
- Disappointing !!LetseatDined on 8/8/2014We consider ourselves moderate foodies having dined in some of the best restaurants in Boston, NYC and Washington, D.C. . This was our first time to "PJ" and there will be no need to go again. We had the roasted chicken and the steak. My chicken was undercooked and flavorless... Unheard of in a French restaurant. My husbands steak was almost well done when he ordered rare and the escargot was dry... Where was the garlic ? The onion soup was average at best. It was a nice summer night in Portland unfortunately we can not say the same for our meal at "pjs".
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014Amazing food and service. Petite Jacqueline is my favorite restaurant in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerFoodieJimDined on 8/4/2014It was my second time here in two weeks and my third in two months. It's always satisfying. I got the fixed price meal,but that meant the food was chosen for me. I had the duck bacon,which was ok,but would rather have had cheese. The sauce for my fish was good,but I'd had other sauces here that I preferred. The pot de creme for dessert was delicious.I probably shouldn't have gotten the fixed price meal, but it was still certainly satisfying.Special Features:
- Great servicesullyVIPDined on 8/3/2014The service was spectacular. Every question was answered. Service was humorous prompt and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.