Petit Robert Central
101 Arch Street
Boston, MA 02110Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Petit Robert Central
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://petitrobertcentral.com/
- Phone: 6177371777
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11am -10pm
Saturday: 5pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Chef Jacky Robert/Chef de cuisine: Eric Bogardus
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a variety of catering options. For a full listing of catering options and to view our Special Events Guide, please contact Danielle Tannous at Danielle@PetitRobertCentral.com or call 617.737.1777 (press 2 for the events line)
- Entertainment: Going to the theatre or ballet? Stop by before or after and dine with us, we'd love to have you!
- Special Events: We can accommodate your needs for 20-1,000 guests for any occasion by offering a variety of event packaging options & over 10,000 square feet in multiple private dining rooms. Our bar & lounge area features large HDTVs, comfortable seating & a relaxed atmosphere for up to 150 guests. Our dining room overlooks Boston’s Downtown Crossing & showcases high ceilings & a fresh color palette making for an incredibly welcoming environment for up to 255 guests. A conference room has been specially designed with the business lunch in mind featuring complimentary wireless internet, presentation screen & a variety of catering options for up to 30 guests.
For more information & photographs of our space, please visit www.petitrobertcentral.com/functions or contact Danielle Tannous at Danielle@PetitRobertCentral.com or 617.737.1777
- Cross Street: 34 Summer Street
- Public Transit: We are located directly above the Downtown Crossing subway stop, which is on both the red and orange lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We are located in the 101 Arch Street Building in Boston’s Downtown Crossing, accessible via 34 Summer Street. Discounted parking is available at The Hyatt Regency Boston Parking Garage located at One Avenue de Lafayette. With our validation stamp, parking is $10 all night after 4 p.m.
A word from Petit Robert Central
Petit Robert Central is a neighborhood bistro where style and comfort co-exist. Located in the heart of Downtown Crossing, Petit Robert Central features classic French bistro by award-winning Chef Jacky Robert and interior design by HGTV’s Taniya Nayak. Petit Robert Central is the perfect place for a business lunch, corporate event, date night out or after-work cocktail.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Petit Robert Central reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (37)good for groups (34)fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (28)vibrant bar scene (20)special occasion (19)romantic (15)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (11)hot spot (8)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Pretty DisappointedjbischDined on 8/14/2014Well the Foie Gras looked like cat food and was cold, like it came out of a can. The duck with wild rice was bland, and the scallops were cooked a little too well. The after work crowd was clearly present, noticeable by loud shouts, table banging, and clanking of glasses. While there is nothing wrong with this at a bar, it is not what I desire to be around when I am out to dinner. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a nice meal.
- PattyADined on 8/8/2014Was there recently for lunch and both the food and waitstaff could not have been better. Scrumptious escargots!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better service would go a long waybeth5496Dined on 8/4/2014Our waiter was pretty much MIA until the end of the meal when he had fewer tables. My fellow diners were happy with their meals but my BLT came loaded with mayonnaise after I very loudly and clearly requested that my sandwich not have mayonnaise when I ordered it. I get it, these things happen. I wasn't thrilled with the waiter's attitude but I did appreciate how he brought out a small salad for me to munch on while my guests ate their properly prepared lunches. The salad thing was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Excellent Lunch, Fantastic ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/31/2014Petit Robert Central is an attractive 2nd floor dining spot with high ceilings. With reservations for lunch, the 2 of us were seated at a roomy half-circle, upholstered booth. (Some parties of 2 were seated at smaller tables that were relatively close together; parties of 3 or 4 got the window tables.) Since we were flying home at 5 pm and would be skipping dinner, we ordered entrees. I had a perfectly cooked lemon sole, with crisp-tender asparagus & lovely potatoes, while my husband enjoyed fork-tender beef burgundy with lovely baby carrots. The portions were surprisingly large for the price, quality of ingredients, and preparation. Our server was efficient, helpful, and charming. The noise level might be high if bar fills up in p.m.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Staff and ManagerTomLDined on 7/21/2014Manager Riccardo and his staff remain first class. While previous visits by me have been consistently high, this most recent experience was superb and even exceptional. I encountered a small problem by my own doing--nothing negative by the restaurant--and Riccardo and his staff went well beyond to help me solve the issue in a way that was dignified, professional, and classy. They really bailed me out of an awkward situation of my own doing. And they did so without casing any aspersions whatsoever. A strong endorsement and tip-of-the-cap to this great eatery with classy style and first rate management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for a Business LunchJoelDined on 7/16/2014Perfect environment for a place to meet to discuss business.Special Features:
- Great night out.GreattimesDined on 7/12/2014Reservations for 5:30. the flowers I ordered were on the table when we arrived. My girlfriend forgot her phone there and the staff called me to inform me that they had it safe at the hostess booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner Before TheatreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014We had a fantasist Dinner in this French restaurant prior to Phantom of the Opera. Service and ffod were excellent. Located two blocks from the Boston Opera House and one block from a very convenient parking garage, it's an easy walk. As soon as we told the staff we were going to the theatre, they timed averything perfectly. We weren't rushed. It was very enjoyable and relaxing. And we were out in time to walk to the Opera House in plenty of time. Park at 33 Arch St. using Panda Parking Service (just $9)...walk a block to the restaurant at 101 Arch St...then two blocks to the Opera House. Convenient and delicious!Special Features:
- Open Table Reservation missingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014The restaurant was good but they didn't have my open table reservation. Luckily they were able to give me a table but it could have been an embarrassing moment with clients.Special Features:
- Very accomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Honored our reservation request to have a quiet seating area; provided very attentive service.Special Features:
- Not a place for meNotsocoolDined on 6/19/2014I made a reservation for a special occasion. I took my daughter for her 20thg birthday and requested a birthday song from restaurant staff. No one even remembered, our waiter was slow and non attentive. Spent $ 103.00 dollars for nothing. Rustic Kitchen in Hingham would have been a better selection. Needless to say "won't go there again"
- Lunch RushAndreiaVIPDined on 6/12/2014It was busier than the last time I had been there so it seems more office workers have discovered Central in Downtown Crossing. I guess they only have one hostess working during lunch as we were standing there for 5 minutes waiting to be seated with no one to greet us, not even a waiter who came by to drop off menus said hello or that someone will be right with you. My water glass was dirty so asked for that to be replaced. French bistros should always have perfect fries, but unfortunately my fries that came with my sandwich were limp. I was expecting crisp skinny fries that I've eaten here before with my steak frites so that was disappointing. Won't be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Good but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/11/2014Food and service terrific but bar noise overpowers everything. Waiters must read lips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much noise ... not too FrenchdrandboDined on 6/11/2014The bar is in no way separated acoustically from the dining space. This made for a noise level that made it impossible to have an enjoyable conversation. There were some mis-steps on the bistro menu. The kir we ordered had WAY too much cassis in the flute. Plus we did not order a Kir Royal we ordered a kir. The frites on the steak frites were thick cut ... not the small French style. The pea soup was tasty and the hanger steaks were done to perfection. The waiter brought bottles of the wine by the glass to the table and let us taste before confirming our order which was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Nice food, but too noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014My companion and I had to shout at each other which made for a less-than-ideal dining experience.Special Features:
- Great lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/5/2014Met 3 longtime friends for lunch; drinks, food and service were all excellent.Special Features:
- Very nicecamcquDined on 5/30/2014I have eaten here several times and always enjoyed my meal. I recommend it for a good lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick to lunchShillbayDined on 5/28/2014I love Petit Robert Central for lunch but was very disappointed by dinner here. The combination of a noisy bar scene, several business goups having their obligatory outings, and very tired, underseasoned food made for a less-than stellar experience.Special Features:
- Very accomodating and delicious!suchfunDined on 5/23/2014There were seven in our party. We were dining with family from out of town whom we see rarely. We very much wanted to be able to converse with each other. Thanks to reviews we had read we asked for a quiet location away from the bar. We were given a separate room! Everyone was pleased with their meal too - from beef bourguignon, coq au vin, shrimp piperade, duck, to salmon ratatouille which won raves from the two who ordered it. The entrees were very filling so there is no need for salads for appetizers unless you are totally starving. We did manage a couple of desserts to share. The Opera Gateau was fabulous. The entrees were reasonably priced, but ordering wine and desserts can make for a pricey check.Special Features:
- Tres Bien!foodieVIPDined on 5/17/2014We were so pleased to have found this venue for our pre-ballet dining. The ambience is lovely. Our waiter Jeremy managed to serve all of his tables -ours & those around us - with skill. Merci BeaucoupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelingDinerDined on 5/16/2014Food was ok, nothing special. Easy to get in. Best for lunch. Quiet.
- Petit Robert CentralSilkeVIPDined on 5/16/2014This is supposed to be a typical neighborhood bistro, of which there is a shortage in Boston. Although not in a neighborhood, it's an appealing option downtown. Its food and ambiance are fine, though it can be noisy. Its service is mixed... on Friday it was perfunctory. The food is also mixed... mussels with paprika were salty, not succulent, slightly overcooked. Steak tartar was good; onion soup standard, fish dish pretty good. The desserts are lavish, starring a portion of FIVE (5) splendid Macarons (could still be good with a portion of 3... and they're fabulous! Otherwise, it's gotten kind of pricey, $128. for two with just one glass of wine. I would either improve the food and service, or expect people to balk at a price over $100.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/15/2014We enjoyed our recent meal here and have been here several times. This time, though, things were very noisy on a weeknight -- some office group had a function there, and both a side room and the bar area were jammed. Still, once we got to the restaurant area facing Summer Street, things were a bit calmer. Our meals were very good -- sole and scallop entrees were especially good. Dessert (mousse) was also tasty and satisfying. This is a great place to go in Downtown Crossing -- just know that, on some weeknights, afterwork crowds might make things noisy here.Special Features:
- Love the place but it needs some...JMBEDined on 5/13/2014The place is amazing, with excellent food and a fantastic atmosphere but it does not cater for vegetarian/vegan people. I was going to order the vegetarian burger and the server informed me that egg was present in the burger. So I decided to check what was left for me to order and there was the salad, and the side dishes. The server told me that the grills and friers are used for both vegetables and meat/fish products. At that point I asked if I could order a just a baguette with vegetables inside and a side dish of asparagus. The server went ahead to ask the chef and the problem was solved. I love this place and it would be a PERFECT one, only if they would add a completely vegan option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious YUMMYYumMeeDined on 5/10/2014Four of us ate at Petit Robert Central since we wanted to be close to the Opera House to attend the Ballet. We enjoyed great service and food but felt a bit uncomfortable. It seems the AC was not turned on yet it was an unseasonably warm, muggy day. We later mentioned this to the manager and he said he would set out to please us. He did! Try the food at Petit Robert - you will be quite happy you did.Special Features:
- Great new findTobyDined on 5/9/2014First time that I dined here since we was going to the theater. We had a party of 8 however a few members were late arriving. They were very pleasant and accommodating, making sure are food came out in a timely fashion. Everyone enjoyed their meal and the prices were reasonable. Definitely would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to Theatre DistrictProfNancyDined on 5/9/2014The bar area, near the entrance, is overwhelmingly noisy, but if you request a quiet table, they do have them in the adjoining dining area. The atmosphere is understated homey elegance -- not the bistro feel of other PR locations, but still lovely. Our server was a bit indifferent, but the food and wine were excellent. As always there is hot fresh French bread and a tempting dessert list. The bottom line wasn't small, but this is a much better value than some other new (and old) restaurants in this neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingfoodyDined on 5/8/2014having eaten at other Petit Roberts the poor quality of my dinner was a surprise it was also very noisy, but if the food had been better that would have been more acceptableSpecial Features:
- The following 543 reviews are from the Petit Robert Central reviews archive.
- Awesome!JenniTDined on 4/26/2014I've been wanting to eat here for a while, and decided last minute to book a table before the theater. What can I say? Awesome French bistro fare, as good as any I've had in NYC and London. Sole was cooked to perfection and the coq au vin was wonderful (the use of woody mushrooms is inspired - added a great flavor level). We WILL be back?Special Features:
- sassaphrasDined on 4/26/2014We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. The cheese board had a variety of excellent choices. Fish dishes were very good. I thoroughly enjoyed my liver and onions. One diner was disappointed in the Coq au Vin, served without the classic small onions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When do we eat? can't hear you!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2014We had a party of 10 for lunch-we settled around 12:40 and then several other tables that had been seated later had their orders taken before us. After 3 requests to different staff to have our order taken, we finally managed to do that close to 1 p.m., and then waited a good 10-15 minutes for the food. Since this was a lunch that took 10 people out of the office, we had hoped to wrap it up in an hour or so. I don't know if you were understaffed that day, but it was frustrating not to get a response when we asked for someone to take our order. The noise is loud, not "energetic." Please find a way of baffling the noise as it bounces off the tile walls!
- Nice French Bistro in DowntownBeaconiteVIPDined on 4/16/2014We had a very nice dining experience here last night. Our server was friendly and very responsive to our requests. The foods are very reasonably priced.
- Another Great nightDonDDined on 4/12/2014Saturday Night and friends were in town. As usual PRC was my go to downtown place. Food is always excellent simple fare. Service is always just right. Everyone was happy and that is key..Special Features:
- Fun Lunch BIstroReneeVIPDined on 4/9/2014We went here for an admin lunch with 4 people. Food options were good--the Croque Monsieur was delicious with two types of cheese. We also tried the Eiffel Tower dessert that was more like tiramisu. A pretty nice lunch, but definitely a little bit more on the energetic side of noise, so it was hard to have a group chat. Presentation was awesome--the Eiffel Tower was amazingly prepared and presented beautifully. This place has the edge when it comes to cheese variety and definitely delivers if you want a French Bistro flavor at lunch. You can even order brunch items on a regular day if you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014The location, look, atmosphere, staff were all great - but the menu was very French and thus limited. I took a potential client there for a business lunch - it was our fist meeting. We were both scratching our heads over what to order. I settled for a Ruben (great) and he settled for a 1/2 lb burger - the only 2 sandwiches within reasonable menu expectations. Impress a girl, super-fancy Execs maybe - but there are better classic/standard lunch places for a business lunch.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2014The atmosphere is beautiful, the food is fantastic and the GM Ricardo Sato is a super star! He's always very professional and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunch DestinationpaceripleyDined on 4/7/2014Petit Robert provides a fair choice for a business lunch in the downtown crossing area. The service is decent, the space is generally quiet and provides a good environment for conversations, and the food is pretty good and fairly priced.Special Features:
- very dissapointingpatandjimDined on 4/5/2014food was not very good and service was just OK. Our waiter was aware we were going to the theater and took our order promptly but we had to flag him down to get coffee. We skipped dessert as we were concerned he wouldn't return in time for us to make curtain call. Too many good places to put up with this service and marginal food.
- Solid and dependableFenbuddyDined on 4/1/2014Nice, satisfying brasserie-style menu, reasonable wine list, and a great room overlooking Downtown Crossing. Super-friendly staff and impeccable service (thanks, Yarick). Try the Porc Paillard and the Pistachio-crusted Salmon.Special Features:
- you only turn 33 onceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Went for my b day. The food was fantastic, i had the duck and my boyfriend had the short rib. We shared the chartruterie app and that was great as well. Service was a little stuffy but attentive. Over all great dinner. I will go back when i have $140 to drop on dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.