Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue
480 Columbus Avenue
Boston, MA 02215Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.petitrobertbistro.com/
- Phone: 6178670600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Brunch Saturday/Sunday: 9am to 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jacky Robert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Baby Shower, Brunch Rehearsal
A word from Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue
With a casual atmosphere and a classic menu, Petit Robert Bistro feel like an authentic French bistro. Francophiles with a hankering for onion soup gratinee, steak-frites and apple tarte tatin need not break the bank, as the bistro keeps its prices modest. Those with a sweet tooth enjoy made-to-order souffle or a giant profiterole. Bon Appetit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (34)great for outdoor dining (23)romantic (23)special occasion (20)notable wine list (16)good for groups (9)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (6)scenic view (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Definitely deliciousCindyDined on 10/17/2014We were staying in the neighborhood on vacation and Petit Robert Bistro was recommended to us. We got a reservation through OpenTable and we're lucky as it was Friday night and we were hungry. Excellent excellent service. Nice selection of half bottles of wine, which was just perfect for us, and food was great. We started with the mussels and bacon and cream, which were fantastic. Waiter brought us extra bread to sop up the broth. We ordered salmon and the mushroom risotto and enjoyed both very very much. Truly a leisurely evening with no pressure to move on and very attentive but not overbearing service. Only slight complaint is the loudness inside the tiny restaurant, but turned out fun to talk to those sitting right next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed....nolagalDined on 10/12/2014Two diners loved their meals, but the two of us that ordered Coq au Vin were very disappointed. It was bland and really not as good as what we could cook. Maybe it was missing an ingredient? Salad was excellent and one diner loved the Onion Soup. At least the ambience was good, no large & loud groups made it enjoyable to sit and relax with our friends. We'll go back since it's in the neighborhood but won't order the Coq au Vin!Special Features:
- Quiet and cozyMcMandelsDined on 10/12/2014This place is the epitome of a French bistro, but I wish the food were a little better. The food was not bad, but it wasn't anything special either. Our party had the rotisserie chicken, which was ok, the Coq au Vin, which was decent but nothing to write home about, and the steak and fries, which was properly cooked but again nothing special. Probably the best thing to eat that night was my kids "French hot dog".
- A Fading? BistrodebatecoachDined on 10/12/2014Le Petit Robert still has a lot to recommend it, but our visit on 10/12/14 was disappointing compared to previous ones. We arrived at 12:25 PM with a 12:30 reservation and were seated immediately. It took 35 minutes before a waiter even took a drink order, and it was nearly an hour before any food arrived. There was only a Sunday Brunch menu available (this was not mentioned on the website). Two of us had Moules Frites (one marniere and one curry), and they were excellent along with very good frites. The third person had Coq au Vin, which was on the greasy side and relatively flavorless. The bread was not up to par, essentially a roll that lacked a good crust and a soft inside. Le Petit Robert appears to be fading, at least at brunch.Special Features:
- Service and food greatly diminishedSassyDined on 10/3/2014Petit Robert used to be one of my favorite places to go to replicate the French Bistro experience. Cocktail and salad course (salade verte with goat cheese) was I argent, poulet roti was borderline dry with tasteless au jus. ) We lost our appetite waiting for the dessert so delayed was it. Service very mediocre because waitress yelled at us in order to be heard through the noise. my dining companion was very pleased with her saumon grille. The popularity of this bistro may have forced them to squeeze in a few too many tables-access was difficult which may account for the waitstaff failing to keep water glasses filled. Upon leaving, the maître d was profoundly apologetic and offered us a dessert on the house if we returned. Perhaps!Special Features:
- We love this placeL02118VIPDined on 10/2/2014We always bring friends and visitors here. Great cocktails, wine. Delicious food from apps to dessert. Lovely service. Authentic French. Our faves: the escargot, scallops, pork, giant profiterole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WWWWAAYYYY TOO NOISEYPamelaDined on 9/28/2014We were a bit late for our reservation because the T was running very slow. Nevertheless we were greeted warmly. However because we were late we lost our outside table so had to eat indoor in the dining room...the noise level was such that you couldn't wait to leave. The stress level was also high so it was impossible to relax and to visit. If you could get then to feed you in the very quiet bar, or if there is a table outside this would be a great place. Inside, forget it. By the way the food was excellent and the service did their very best in a not so easy situation so I would rate them very good.Special Features:
- lunchable locallymoondoggy1962Dined on 9/24/2014stopped in for lunch. we both had tasty salads . bread was fresh. service attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neiserDined on 9/20/2014We were a party of 5 and everyone very much enjoyed the food. My only "complaint" which is low level is that the bowls/plates used were not user friendly. Had a great salad that was served in a high sided bowl which made eating it with a knife and fork a challenge. Same with the entree. BUT these are minor issues as the food was very good and I would recommend restaurant! And we'll return!
- disappointingmarlbethDined on 9/20/2014While we loved sitting outside, we were disappointed with the food. The soup had not flavor, the salad was too heavily dressed, the steak was tough and tasteless.Special Features:
- South End - Great!!eaterDined on 9/19/2014Came at recommendation of waiter from abe and louie's and were not disapointed - Our dinner with old friends couldn't have been bettter. Bar - great seleection - manhattan and lemon drop martinini's both done well. The Smoked salmon was great - The beef bourguignon was rich tender and made with care. The lamb fell off the bone. All the vegatables were cooked spot on and seasoned right. The salads were freash and generous. Lobster Bisque - wanted more - Desert eclair had great chocolate sauce and went fast. The mouse au chocolat was rich and satisfying. Service was attenttive, respectful and unhurried. Only disapointment was menu was different than the web sight - wanted duck and they didn't have it. Still great and will come back.Special Features:
- Good value for moneyda4diningVIPDined on 9/17/2014Enjoyed a simple meal of salad and steak frites-- both good and reasonably priced given the location. Initially disappointed at the very limited list of wines by the glass, but the Bordeau suggested by my waitress was very good and also reasonably priced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014I have been to Petit Robert (Columbus Ave.) on numerous occasions, and find that it is consistently among the top French restaurants in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French bistoSilviaitDined on 9/13/2014Perfect to meet friends to talk, good size and different dishesSpecial Features:
- Romantic, Intimate DinnerPrincessPVIPDined on 9/13/2014My boyfriend and I dined at Petit Robert Bistro on Columbus for our anniversary, and we were not let down! The ambiance is very mellow, lights dimmed, and a great place for an intimate dinner for two or a small group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great french bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/12/2014we were there for my husband's birthday. we sat outside. the food was excellent.the staff was friendly and ready to do anything to make our evening wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Salads, Good MainsMathBobDined on 9/11/2014My wife and I both ordered salads to start and they were great: mine with beets and a nice dressing, hers with encrusted goat cheese. For main courses, she had the Coquille St Jacques; nicely presented, but the scallops were rather tough (overcooked). I had the steak frites with bernaise sauce; the sauce was excellent and the steak was tasty but very tough and gristly. Perhaps we chose unwisely for the main course.Special Features:
- Delicious, refined,yet approachabletazfoodDined on 9/4/2014Nice selections of food and wine. Great if you are looking for a French food fix, a nice refined menu in a very comfortable atmosphere, excellent service, and reasonable prices v. the quality. Great wine options that pair wonderfully with the menu. A hit for a romantic dinner, a fun time with friends, or even a treat for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummySmiffCakesDined on 8/23/2014Overall good experience. Fabulous French onion soup, good bluefish and yummy dessert. Can't complain!Special Features:
- Authentic and wonderfulLakemamaDined on 8/21/2014We had a really wonderful birthday celebration with delicious authentic French food and great service. Our waitress/sommelier was especially helpful with wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceCarlosDined on 8/21/2014The Manager is extremely rude, if you want to have a bad experience come to this place.
- Summer NightsDj2014Dined on 8/18/2014Great outdoor dining that is part of the neighborhood community. Food was great and service was polite. This spot is great for a special day or evening where you want to just enjoy the food, drinks and surrounding. There is no rushing or pushing you out. The chocolate Souffle was wonderful!Special Features:
- SallySaladDined on 8/12/2014Absolutely DELIGHFUL! I would definitely return to this restaurant. The service was superior and the good was delicious!Special Features:
- Love French Food?TorontoVIPDined on 8/9/2014This south end restaurant offers quality french food with a contemporary flair. Great neighborhood restaurant as well as place to bring out of town visitors. Service was pleasant and knowledgeable. Small but lovely wine list with both French and American offerings.Special Features:
- +=OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Food was excellent. Restaurant was busy (Friday night) and too noisy for the six of us to comfortably have a conversation, a real drawback to us. Service was attentive, though food was slow to come out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love love this resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Food is always excellent and presented well. Service is good but you never feel rushed.Special Features:
- No A/C at lunchtimedfochilVIPDined on 7/25/2014The French waitress told me that they don't turn on the a/c "until the sun comes around". The restaurant faces north. Maybe this is why it was basically deserted the day we had lunch there. Fortunately there's a handful of small tables in the shade on the sidewalk, and even more fortunately there was a breeze to offset the 80 degree temperature. However the restaurant itself was far too hot to sit inside.
- MagicalBirthdaypalDined on 7/20/2014Between the amazing food, service, and ambiance I felt transported back to Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/20/2014The beef bourguignon was excellent and the Grand Marnier soufflé was delicate and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful relaxed brunchOBalDined on 7/20/2014Given how hard it is to get a brunch reservation anywhere in the South End on a weekend morning, I was surprised we were able to make a reservation the night before for a party of 6 at Petit Robert. The place was also empty when we got there at 11:30, so I got worried about the food. But then everything was so delicious! The coffee was high quality, omelettes were flavorful and not overcooked, and the eggs benedict was perfect. This is a hidden gem!Special Features:
- Fantastic French dining experienceNessaDined on 7/19/2014You just can't go wrong at the Petit Robert Bistro. If you want a delicious, authentic, French dining experience from "l'apperitif" to "le cafe", this is your place. Everything was cooked to perfection. The scallops were succulent, the pork was perfect and the lemon tart not too sweet, not too tart, just what it should be. I will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average but good dessertspickyfoodpersonDined on 7/19/2014Food was average, but the soufflé and lie flotant dessert amazing.... (if you like French desserts)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just finejofiVIPDined on 7/8/2014I found this restaurant to be just fine. The food was simple, French, but I found it to be lacking any punch to give it that four star rating --- particularly the bluefish I ordered, it seemed fairly bland and could have used some salt. The smoked salmon appetizer was good, I must say. I think the prices should be less than they are, I was pretty surprised when I saw entrée prices. This is closer to a $$$ restaurant --- not a $$ restaurant.
- DelightfulBostonguyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Made a last minute reservation with out of town friends for 8:15 pm on a saturday night and scored an outdoor table. The weather was spectacular and the South End view just great. We have been to Petit Robert a number of times but everything was just wondeful we had great servers and my wife and I ordered the bluefish parisienne, this fish can be risky for me but what a surprise it was just delicious. We will be back.Special Features:
- disappointment for brunchAllisonDined on 6/28/2014I have been to the Petit Robert in Kenmore multiple time and have really enjoyed their brunch and dinner, however the same food at this SOUTH END location was not the same; the eggs Benedict were served cold, and when I had mine sent back, the plate came out hot, but the eggs were STILL cold. The french fries and the mimosas were great, but the main meal of the brunch was not appetizing, and I will not waste money on food at this location again. If you want to go to Petit Robert, go to the one in Kenmore, which is a lot better than the one in south end.Special Features:
- The following 1100 reviews are from the Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue reviews archive.
- Amazing!JennDined on 6/25/2014The food was fantastic! Everything we ordered was lovely (we had the calamari, smoked salmon, gazpacho, coq au vin, and green curry). Fair warning: the menu changes sometimes, but the online menu might not be up-to-date. It doesn't really matter though, since the food is so good. I am usually a pretty fast eater, but found myself deliberately slowing down to savor the flavors. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014EXCELLENT FRENCH MEAL, FOOD FRESH, weel prepared, interesting. We really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect spotStephenVIPDined on 6/11/2014for French food. YuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmSpecial Features:
- Always a favorite!TOLmusicVIPDined on 6/6/2014Love the place. It has a nice French bistro atmosphere. Clarisse the hostess is very sweet, and inviting! Service is very attentive. Food id excellent. I order the foie gras all the time (very delicious, btw) before the city bans it. LOL!Special Features:
- Feels Truly FrenchGreatTasteDined on 6/3/2014It feels very European,it's like a small piece of Paris in Boston.Special Features: