Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue
480 Columbus Avenue
Boston, MA 02215Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.petitrobertbistro.com/
- Phone: (617) 867-0600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Brunch Saturday/Sunday: 9am to 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jacky Robert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Baby Shower, Brunch Rehearsal
A word from Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue
With a casual atmosphere and a classic menu, Petit Robert Bistro feel like an authentic French bistro. Francophiles with a hankering for onion soup gratinee, steak-frites and apple tarte tatin need not break the bank, as the bistro keeps its prices modest. Those with a sweet tooth enjoy made-to-order souffle or a giant profiterole. Bon Appetit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (42)romantic (32)special occasion (25)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (9)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- ATN42Dined on 4/23/2014A perfect dining experience. Delicious food, great staff, not too noisy, not too expensive.... an ideal civilized grown up place. I will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTEDZackDined on 4/22/2014We were extremely disappointed, our first time there with friends who had been many times for lunch and they were also disappointed. The food was definitely not up to french cuisine, the coquille st. jacques, was nothing like a real one, the duck had to be returned as it was so rare and tasteless. Will not return.
- Easter BrunchDisappointedfromJPDined on 4/20/2014I was very pleased with the service and the flexibility in being able to add two more people to our party at the last minute and how quickly we were seated. I was disappointed in the amount of hollandaise sauce on the Eggs Benedict; It was on the skimpy side. The French fries that were served were cold and greasy. Given the size of the space and the number of people served, I thought that playing music detracted from the ambiance rather than adding to it. I had been at the South End site on April 5th and had a fantastic meal and dining experience. Based on that experience, I organized a group of 8 of us from my Church to have Easter Brunch at the South End Petit Robert location. Ed
- Nice BrunchEandJakeVIPDined on 4/20/2014My first time at this location really enjoyed brunch.Special Features:
- Surprisingly disappointingOECD235Dined on 4/18/2014I have always loved petit Robert, so invited friends from out of town for a special night. The kitchen took forever, and my entree was cold and uninspired in its presentation. The duck, which I had before, was primary fat rolled in sesame crust. I was sorry to see a good spot go so wrong. My friends were polite, but did not have the raves I got from my guest on prior trips. I will not risk this embarrassment again.
- excellent bistroRegulardinerVIPDined on 4/12/2014We went here recently before the BSO. We have been many times before. However, it had been more than a year since we had been. The menu has been upgraded, and the food is even better than before. Excellent French dishes, with fresh vegetables. Cocktail menu is also nice. The tables outside were full, but it would have been a nice place to sit and enjoy dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too commercialDrbillgDined on 4/11/2014My wife and I went to Petit Robert bistro on Columbus Avenue. We've been to the one on Commonwealth Avenue in the past a few times and we liked it. The first thing we noticed when we got there to the Columbus Avenue restaurant was that the tables were all lined up right next to each other so you didn't have any privacy to speak to each other. The next thing we noticed was that it was only one special in the menu looks like it never changes. The wine was okay but overpriced for the quality of the wine. The service in the restaurant concentrates on movinorientationg people hovering around us trying to take our food before we were done, rather than asking if we needed anything.
- Birthday dinnerRobesrangerDined on 4/5/2014We went for my wife's birthday. Everything was good, but the service was excellent. It made the special occasion actually feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better!RobertissimoDined on 4/5/2014I used to come here fairly regularly several years ago. On return the other night I was impressed that it looked even lovelier than I remember. Beautiful new color on the walls. Gorgeous white linen table settings. Perfect easy French night out. The food was pretty good, too. It'll now be my regular place again …. Lovely! RobertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- early dinner late lunchktcmomof4Dined on 3/29/2014We were a party of 7 eating at 4:00 and the service and food were excellent. We had hors d'oeuvre then dinner then dessert. Delicious and fancy desserts. They even put a candle on the birthday girl's dessert!Special Features:
- Magnifique!VeroniqueDined on 3/29/2014Like an afternoon in Paris! Went to the South End location, my favorite, for a late lunch. Was seated at a wonderful table near the window overlooking a wonderful mixture of old and new quaint buildings the South End is known for. Service was very friendly, and not rushed. We had a variety of appetizers: escargots, oysters, smoked salmon, pate, brie; all accompanied with their fresh baked baguettes, not to mention some French Champagne. Absolutely FABULOUS! For desert we had the Grand Marnier Souffle. Ended up staying until early evening, enjoying EVERY MINUTE! Would definitely recommend, especially for a romantic occasion!Special Features:
- Energetic and crowdedKarenODined on 3/27/2014My friend came back for the Beef Bourguignon and I ordered sea bass. It said it was seasoned with lemon and ginger. It was on a bed of chick peas and I noted no lemony flavor nor anything resembling ginger. It was ok. Good enough to almost finish a generous portion of fish. I did taste my friend's beef and it was very tasty. Noisy and crowded but I liked the energy. Didn't get a ton of attention from the waitress but she was pretty busy. all in all, I would go again but only if someone else wanted to try it. Meh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/27/2014Solid and reliable quality French bistro food. Though basic dishes, they are hearty and well balanced. Appetizers are abundant in quantity and quite inspired. Deserts were remarkable. Excellent atmosphere, though the physical environment is a little tired and could use renovation, including the access.Special Features:
- Nice French restaurant pre-theaterYesodDined on 3/26/2014My wife and I greatly enjoyed our dining experience at Petit Robert prior to our short walk to the Huntington Theater. The Coquilles St. Jacques, preceded by Saumon Fume and the Salade Romaine, were all well-prepared and nicely presented, and the wine list, while not extensive, was sufficient for our purpose (we had a nice 2010 Pommard). Don't forget dessert (Chocolate Gateau Petit Robert).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MisleadDeanschofDined on 3/22/2014A six forty five reservation made well in advance resulted in standing in a crowded space for 20 minutes waiting for our table which became available at 7:10. A hassled, but apologetic hostess assured us every few minutes that the party at "our table" were leaving any minute. Once seated the service was fine. The salads were quite good, the entrees disappointing; lamb tasteless, steak tough and tasteless , Brenaise sauce cold, with very little taste. French fries bland . Overall, unfortunate choice. Overpriced, underachieved. We will not return nor would we recommend this overhyped eatery.
- Total experience was delightful.hungryasabearDined on 3/22/2014Total experience was delightful. Downside was the noise level making conversation somewhat difficult at times. I can see that another restroom would be useful. Food/wine very good. Seems chic despite the fact that space is somewhat cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, weak serviceSasanoaDined on 3/21/2014We really like Petite Robert, but Friday night was a bit disappointing. We arrived at 6, and let it be known we were going to a concert at 8. Our waiter took our drink order at maybe 10 past 6. We were served our drinks about 6:30, I think. He then took our order. Service was okay after that but timed such that we had no time to enjoy a dessert or even think about a cup of coffee. I am not sure what we could have done differently. We thought two hours was more than enough time and we did mention the start time of the concert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 5DaveDined on 3/18/2014We had a visitor from out of town. The restaurant was convenient to his hotel. I had been to this restaurant before, and knew about their quality and high standards. Our table was available when we arrived. The valet parking is a major benefit since parking is impossible in South End. The food was excellent. The service was excellent. I can only say good things about this restaurant.Special Features:
- split decisionwinegeekVIPDined on 3/15/2014A friend and I had dinner (again) at Petit Robert. His entree (pork shank) was fabulous. My chicken was dry and inedible. Wine list continues to underperform, in my opinion, and with prices 3x retail, it's hard to stomach.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014It took over an hour + to get our meals..Way to long to wait for lunchSpecial Features:
- What a Joke!NewtonResidentVIPDined on 3/15/2014This is NOT French food! My coq au vin was a leg with some sort of black stuff on top...it looked and tasted like it had been reheated about 20 times over...overcooked to the point it had absolutely no taste whatsoever! where is the red wine, or pearl onions, or lardons ??....embararassing. The texture reminded me of dog food! My daughter had the roast chicken which was dry and tasted old/reheated. The plating was far from appetizing or elegant. We had to wait over an hour to get our food and the waitstaff was not very friendly. The noise level was very loud given that the tables are so close together. Overall, the PITS!!!! Two huge thumbs down!
- not very goodpeteDined on 3/14/2014beef bourguignon ingredients not close to Julia Child's. Sauce too sweet. Mushrooms & small onions not found. Buttered noodles that came with coq au vin had little taste - how do you ruin buttered noodles?
- (almost) Spring time in Paris!NotsoMuchVIPDined on 3/11/2014Merci Beau coup! Went to Petit Robert Bistro for the 3rd or 4th time ... always forget how much it makes you feel you have been transported to France. Coq au Vin was amazing and the mussel and frites were a wonderful appetizer (to share!). We were so full after we ate we took a long walk around the south end and then returned for meringue cookies and espresso ... Bon Appetite!Special Features:
- Hit the markDmstrawDined on 3/8/2014We got a tip from a friend about this restaurant. It happened to be only about 3 blocks from our hotel, so we tried it. We all enjoyed our food, having luckily gotten the best table in the house with our reservation. I ordered the beef burgundy, which was really tasty. The meat was tender when I cut it, but rather "chewy." The wine was great. Prices were very reasonable. Only problem was it got very loud by the time we left. Our reservation was at 6:45. The place was very busy, but the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happily we hit Petit RobertOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/8/2014Happily we hit Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Ave the opening day they began serving breakfast. It was wonderful. Such a welcoming neighborhood bistro with gracious service...even the chefs! And the breakfast was terrific. I love that each breakfast included lettuce lightly and deliciously dressed. Bravo! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Like ParisSouthboroughVIPDined on 3/7/2014We had heard about Petite Robert and decided to try them out. The service and greeting team were very attentive and accommodating. All salads were fresh and just the right size and other appetizers were very good. Scallops ad chicken were delicious. It can be a little loud but later at night it is not problem. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu, new chef, SUCCESS!marydeVIPDined on 3/6/2014Petit Robert has been reinvented. Always a neighborhood favorite, Petit has ratcheted up its game. Bravo!Special Features:
- I go as often as I can, sitBarbaraDined on 3/3/2014I go as often as I can, sit at the bar and enjoy the wine and the food. It is a perfect neighborhood spot. The bread is divine and the service is always friendly and courteous. I will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate combination of dishesGiulioVIPDined on 2/28/2014We have been affectionate customers of Petit Robert for years, we go to France often and enjoy traditional french food. we were truly disappointed by the choice of dishes and by their poor quality this time. My wife had a pork belly dish with a black rice quinoa risotto that was overly rich and left much of the pork belly fat in the dish. Prior to that she had had a foie gras on top of beans which had the same problems and really the wrong combination. My roasted chicken dish was dry and accompanied by flavorless vegetables. Our friends were also served unappealing food that night, with the same accompaniment of flavorless vegetables. Mr. Robert should start understanding that the competition in the South End is fierce, times are changing.
- A very pleasant eveningFussyDined on 2/26/2014I have been to Petit Robert Bistro many times. The food is always good and the service friendly and efficient. There is a good selection of moderately priced wines by the glass. My wife is especially fond of the roast chicken that is a generous portion providing her with lunch on a subsequent day. Our companion had the risotto that he enjoyed very much. When the restaurant isn't crowded, it is a perfect place for an intimate diinner and quiet conversation. The valet parking is a bit dicey, but given the location they do as well as can be expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Petit RobertCoopwriteVIPDined on 2/20/2014This is a terrific French bistro style restaurant. The food is classic bistro style. The staff is at the top of its game. Our waitperson was from from Dijon; totally charming and very efficient. I've been to this restaurant multiple times and always enjoy the food, wine and ambiance. I recommend dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French at Le Petite RobertRichSDined on 2/8/2014Le Petite Robert is not trying to be anything other than an excellent French bistro, and that's exactly the way it should be. Beef tartare, wonderful selection of pate, roast chicken, duck, pork shank. Great attentive but unobtrusive service. Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodTrauteDined on 2/1/2014Petit Robert maintains its excellence. It's the next best thing to being in France. I appreciate their seasonally focused changing menu.Special Features:
- great neighborhood restaurantRogerAVIPDined on 1/31/2014a neat little restaurant in the south end. We have dined here on several occasions and have enjoyed each time. Very professional wait staff. The food was great and the presentation superior. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little short of very goodthoughts4foodDined on 1/24/2014Service was outstanding and sensitive to our needs and schedule. Food in general was very good, but one dish was too salty (the risotto--but still very flavorful) and one was done medium+ when ordered medium rare (the duck--but still juicy and tender). portion size was good; food pricing was appropriate; wine pricing was on the high side for the selection; Desserts were large but some (the apple "pie") were enjoyed much more than others (the bread pudding); We will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful little restaurant,dkdldDined on 1/18/2014A wonderful little restaurant, food was excellent. Our waiter, Smith added an extra nice bonus to the dining experience.Special Features:
- Service? What service?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/10/2014The service level was inattentive and poor. The entire meal was rushed and hurried for no reason, which was also true of other diners near our table. The hostess was not accommodating. An ok meal in a poorly conducted setting. This is a true, matter of fact review from a local resident.
- ParfaitFoodie6VIPDined on 1/5/2014This restaurant has filled the void. I've been meaning to go here for years and I wish I'd gone sooner! Brunch was delicious and affordable, the service was lovely and well-paced, and the quiche was incroyable! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChillyChrisDined on 1/3/2014I sat at a table near a window in the dining room. We had a party of seven and everyone had to keep their winter coats on because it was so drafty and cold. Unsatisfactory!!!! Some electric heaters near the windows would have changed the experience. I will not frequent the restaurant again on a chilly night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect date spot!MelissaDined on 12/31/2013I've been to Petit Robert several times and I've never been disappointed. Each restaurant is situated in a cozy, intimate space with lots of character in the decor. The food is always outstanding without pretentious prices. The smoked salmon and foie gras are delicious, and the Coquilles St. Jacques I ate was mouth-watering. My friends were all satisfied with their meals of the duck confit and the boeuf bourginon. Definitely save room for dessert; the gateaux was outstanding, and the little chocolate Eiffel Tower is a nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.