Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue
480 Columbus Avenue
Boston, MA 02215Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.petitrobertbistro.com/
- Phone: 6178670600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Brunch Saturday/Sunday: 9am to 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jacky Robert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Baby Shower, Brunch Rehearsal
A word from Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue
With a casual atmosphere and a classic menu, Petit Robert Bistro feel like an authentic French bistro. Francophiles with a hankering for onion soup gratinee, steak-frites and apple tarte tatin need not break the bank, as the bistro keeps its prices modest. Those with a sweet tooth enjoy made-to-order souffle or a giant profiterole. Bon Appetit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (37)great for outdoor dining (33)romantic (30)special occasion (28)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (14)good for groups (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- YummySmiffCakesDined on 8/23/2014Overall good experience. Fabulous French onion soup, good bluefish and yummy dessert. Can't complain!Special Features:
- Terrible serviceCarlosDined on 8/21/2014The Manager is extremely rude, if you want to have a bad experience come to this place.
- Summer NightsDj2014Dined on 8/18/2014Great outdoor dining that is part of the neighborhood community. Food was great and service was polite. This spot is great for a special day or evening where you want to just enjoy the food, drinks and surrounding. There is no rushing or pushing you out. The chocolate Souffle was wonderful!Special Features:
- SallySaladDined on 8/12/2014Absolutely DELIGHFUL! I would definitely return to this restaurant. The service was superior and the good was delicious!Special Features:
- Love French Food?TorontoDined on 8/9/2014This south end restaurant offers quality french food with a contemporary flair. Great neighborhood restaurant as well as place to bring out of town visitors. Service was pleasant and knowledgeable. Small but lovely wine list with both French and American offerings.Special Features:
- +=OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Food was excellent. Restaurant was busy (Friday night) and too noisy for the six of us to comfortably have a conversation, a real drawback to us. Service was attentive, though food was slow to come out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love love this resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Food is always excellent and presented well. Service is good but you never feel rushed.Special Features:
- No A/C at lunchtimedfochilVIPDined on 7/25/2014The French waitress told me that they don't turn on the a/c "until the sun comes around". The restaurant faces north. Maybe this is why it was basically deserted the day we had lunch there. Fortunately there's a handful of small tables in the shade on the sidewalk, and even more fortunately there was a breeze to offset the 80 degree temperature. However the restaurant itself was far too hot to sit inside.
- MagicalBirthdaypalDined on 7/20/2014Between the amazing food, service, and ambiance I felt transported back to Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/20/2014The beef bourguignon was excellent and the Grand Marnier soufflé was delicate and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful relaxed brunchOBalDined on 7/20/2014Given how hard it is to get a brunch reservation anywhere in the South End on a weekend morning, I was surprised we were able to make a reservation the night before for a party of 6 at Petit Robert. The place was also empty when we got there at 11:30, so I got worried about the food. But then everything was so delicious! The coffee was high quality, omelettes were flavorful and not overcooked, and the eggs benedict was perfect. This is a hidden gem!Special Features:
- Fantastic French dining experienceNessaDined on 7/19/2014You just can't go wrong at the Petit Robert Bistro. If you want a delicious, authentic, French dining experience from "l'apperitif" to "le cafe", this is your place. Everything was cooked to perfection. The scallops were succulent, the pork was perfect and the lemon tart not too sweet, not too tart, just what it should be. I will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average but good dessertspickyfoodpersonDined on 7/19/2014Food was average, but the soufflé and lie flotant dessert amazing.... (if you like French desserts)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just finejofiVIPDined on 7/8/2014I found this restaurant to be just fine. The food was simple, French, but I found it to be lacking any punch to give it that four star rating --- particularly the bluefish I ordered, it seemed fairly bland and could have used some salt. The smoked salmon appetizer was good, I must say. I think the prices should be less than they are, I was pretty surprised when I saw entrée prices. This is closer to a $$$ restaurant --- not a $$ restaurant.
- DelightfulBostonguyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Made a last minute reservation with out of town friends for 8:15 pm on a saturday night and scored an outdoor table. The weather was spectacular and the South End view just great. We have been to Petit Robert a number of times but everything was just wondeful we had great servers and my wife and I ordered the bluefish parisienne, this fish can be risky for me but what a surprise it was just delicious. We will be back.Special Features:
- disappointment for brunchAllisonDined on 6/28/2014I have been to the Petit Robert in Kenmore multiple time and have really enjoyed their brunch and dinner, however the same food at this SOUTH END location was not the same; the eggs Benedict were served cold, and when I had mine sent back, the plate came out hot, but the eggs were STILL cold. The french fries and the mimosas were great, but the main meal of the brunch was not appetizing, and I will not waste money on food at this location again. If you want to go to Petit Robert, go to the one in Kenmore, which is a lot better than the one in south end.Special Features:
- Amazing!JennDined on 6/25/2014The food was fantastic! Everything we ordered was lovely (we had the calamari, smoked salmon, gazpacho, coq au vin, and green curry). Fair warning: the menu changes sometimes, but the online menu might not be up-to-date. It doesn't really matter though, since the food is so good. I am usually a pretty fast eater, but found myself deliberately slowing down to savor the flavors. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014EXCELLENT FRENCH MEAL, FOOD FRESH, weel prepared, interesting. We really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect spotStephenVIPDined on 6/11/2014for French food. YuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmSpecial Features:
- Always a favorite!TOLmusicVIPDined on 6/6/2014Love the place. It has a nice French bistro atmosphere. Clarisse the hostess is very sweet, and inviting! Service is very attentive. Food id excellent. I order the foie gras all the time (very delicious, btw) before the city bans it. LOL!Special Features:
- Feels Truly FrenchGreatTasteDined on 6/3/2014It feels very European,it's like a small piece of Paris in Boston.Special Features:
- When Paris is a bit too far to walkSimplySatisfiedDined on 6/1/2014Petite Robert is a little piece of Paris in Boston. Even if you aren't into "French" food, you may enjoy Petite Robert, which is more like French comfort food (great wine, fresh vegetables, delicious and simple salads, and perfectly cooked meats.) Be prepared to take your time and enjoy--in order to have a real French experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014I took a friend who needed to get a flight later in the afternoon to LA and this turned out to be the perfect place. It was a beautiful spring day, and we ate on the sidewalk. The sister of my friend, an exoburbanite, remarked that it reminded her of places she'd been in Europe. Service was swift and polite, food--quiche, onion soup, etc--was delicious, quickly service, and reasonably priced. I'm from the neighborhood and had the opportunity to choose among several local places. I chose Petit Robert and was very glad that I did. It fit perfectly in our plans with good food, a pleasant location, and overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Perfect for any occasionKatyaDined on 5/25/2014The food was fantastic and the service was perfect. What else do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent authentic french brunchjameslwu13Dined on 5/24/2014Was pleasantly surprised with how authentic PRB is! Was greeted by a hostess who was clearly French, and it looks like the place is run by a French family. We had an excellent croque madame and nutella crepe. Will definitely go back and try out more things on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night Before a ShowMrFancyPantsDined on 5/23/2014Party of 5 who dined here before the Symphony. As to timing, we told the waiter of our plans and he.made sure to make everything happen for us. We started with drinks. The girls all had one of the specialty cocktails on the drink list, everyone of them came back with two thumbs up. On to apps. I had the herring. I had never tried herring before, only ever saw it in the grocery store in those jars with the suspect liquid. Anyway, I was feeling a little adventerous. It came wrapped in a light coating of pastry with a delicious mustard sauce on it and a side salad. An absolute winner. I never knew I liked herring. For the main course I had the special. It was a ribeye steak covered in Bordelaise. Words can't describe how good it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodOBRSDined on 5/22/2014I've had dinner here several times, but this time I was disappointed. I had the duck (too coated in fat) and my wife the cod (too oily). Not bad, just unremarkable. General atmosphere is pleasant, though it got very noisy, and I had a seat with a fine view of people constantly going in and out of the bathroom - best to be by the window if you can manage it.
- CassiopiaDined on 5/20/2014I have to be honest. A restaurant that refers to itself as a "French Bistro" should excel at Boeuf Bourguignon but that entrée was unfortunately very poor. The other entrees (3) were good but not exceptional. Street parking is impossible and the valet fee is $20.00. With so many excellent restaurants to choose from in Boston including the South End it is doubtful I will return anytime soon.
- Love Le Petit Robertallsky05Dined on 5/18/2014Great menu, happy folks, always eager to adapt or make adjustments to satisfy customers, my wife is french and have never being let down......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Dining ExperienceDpd409Dined on 5/16/2014Our dining experience was awesome. We had reservations fir a table bit after enjoying a drink at the bar we decided to dine at the bar. The bar tender by night and pastry chef by day was so nice , helpful making wine decisions and well informed about the menu . Out fodd was delicious , I enjoyed the beet salad and a roasted cod entree my husband had the steak. We both had to have dessert, chocolate mouse and the lemon tart!!!!!!! We will be back fir another great meal and friendly atmosphere .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it once wasJuVeDined on 5/14/2014I have always liked Petit Robert and considered it a reliably good place to dine. My friend and I were disappointed this last visit. While the service was attentive and the drinks and wine were good, both the food and decor need improvement. The place overall looked a bit run down and the chairs are now quite rickety. The main courses we had were not up to par. My friend's salmon was undercooked and even when redone was not that great. My veal with mushroom sauce was not good at all: dry, unappealing veal, overly oily sauce. I will say the dessert, a chocolate and orange conconction, was good.
- Great findKDBalVIPDined on 5/11/2014From one of our very first trips to Boston we have loved this restaurant. The food is delicious and the atmosphere is perfect! Whenever we go to Boston, e make this one of our food destinations.Special Features:
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014Petit Robert has an open outdoor dining area where you can bring your dog, so we go despite the mediocre food and poor service. Last time we went, though, on Mother's Day for brunch, it was truly awful. We waited several minutes for water. We had to ask twice for them to bring us iced tea. The waitress was generally uninterested in speaking with us. But the most ridiculous part was when I ordered an omelette and asked if they could add spinach. The waitress said they couldn't take any special orders because they were so busy (the indoor section was half full) and I could get a side of spinach. I let it slide and ordered the side, which was just sautéed spinach. Then the bill came & they charged us $8 DOLLARS. We will NEVER be back.
- Mixed ReviewnickVIPDined on 5/10/2014A welcoming place that looks great and has a nice feel to it with OK service and disappointing food. The pate, mussels coq au vin and boef bourgignon can all do with improvement.
- Quiet boîteLebevoVIPDined on 5/10/2014Simply and nicely done! Brunch omelettes were nicely turned out and the prices were moderateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experience and great mealWaylandguyVIPDined on 5/7/2014We found staff to be very accommodating and friendly. Service was very good and food was delightful. Definitely worth a visit and/or return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MFDinerdelightDined on 5/7/2014An enjoyable dinner before The Pops! Smith was a wonderful waiter filled with knowledge about French cuisine and beer!Special Features:
- Cozy little placebackbayfoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014Went to Petit Robert with an Open Table gift certificate. Food was very good, but the roast chicken was a little dry, and the veggie side dishes were the same for both entrees, and were entirely unimpressive. Portions OK but not particularly large, and beer list was good. Service was excellent though, and ambience was among the best in the city. Get the pate--delicious. Will be back.Special Features:
- very lateJPAmyDined on 5/2/2014Seating was 30 minutes after reservation time, and the first two items one of our party ordered were out, so the menu had to come out a few times before she could make a selection. Best to let the staff know what is out before they get to the table. We were probably a little short on patience since the delay was at the limit of what was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1077 reviews are from the Petit Robert Bistro Columbus Avenue reviews archive.
- Favorite neighborhood restaurantBostonianDined on 4/28/2014We love Petite Robert. The food is always good, often excellent.The staff is friendly and accommodating. My husband loves calves liver. I don't. It is is not always on the menu. Once we went with friends and he commented sadly that calves liver wasn't on the menu. The waiter overheard and said, " Oh, we can make thet for you." Happy husband. We often share a profiterole for dessert. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.