Petit Louis – Columbia
10215 Wincopin Cir
Columbia, MD 21044Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Petit Louis – Columbia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.petitlouis.com/
- Phone: (410) 964-9999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner:Tuesday - Saturday 5pm - 10pm
Dinner: Sunday 5pm - 9pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:30am - 4:30pm
Tuesday - Friday 8am
Saturday & Sunday 8am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Wine Bar, French
- Executive Chef: James Lewandowski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Petit Louis – Columbia
Tony Foreman and Cindy Wolf’s classic bistro on the lake in Columbia features rustic fare, an extensive, award winning French wine list & a lively Parisian atmosphere with gorgeous lake views. Outdoor seating is seasonal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Petit Louis – Columbia - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Petit Louis – Columbia reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)special occasion (120)great for outdoor dining (102)neighborhood gem (97)notable wine list (96)scenic view (85)romantic (79)good for groups (63)great for lunch (57)great for brunch (51)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (9)Show More
- Good Columbia Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/21/2014Having been to the original Baltimore restaurant many times we were excited to see the restaurant come to our neck of the woods. We were impressed with the way they were able to capture old world charm in décor, yet in a space that isn't as elbow-to-elbow as the original location. Sometimes the noise levels in the Baltimore location can be a bit much, but they've solved that issue with the choice of building materials here. Most importantly, the food was on par with the Petit Louis of the original location. Yay for Columbia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gem in the heart of ColumbiaBug0421VIPDined on 11/21/2014I have enjoyed both lunch and dinner at this wonderful French bistro with friends. Everyone thought their meal was perfect and a great variety to choose from on the menu. The prices are surprisingly reasonable for a what I consider a finer restaurany and the service is impeccable. The decor is warm and welcoming . Located right on the lake in Columbia, it is a great setting for a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than first visitSarainglenwoodVIPDined on 11/19/2014Our first visit was so dismal that I hesitated to return. the service was abysmal and the portions were overpriced and small. That was dinner in August. Lunch yesterday was much, much better. The service was a little too hovering, but I'd rather have that than being ignored. The portions were great and the trout almondine in particular, was outstanding. The 2 course prix fixe lunch is a great deal. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic french food and pastries! Great service!LookingForGemsVIPDined on 11/16/2014This is my second visit. The food is consistently great. My French friend was thrilled by the authenticity of the food and the pastries. The prices are good, though not low; the quality and presentation are outstanding; so it's good value. The pastries are quite reasonably priced, and I sent my guests home with a huge selection for around $25. The service is great, friendly, and attentive. Not all of the servers speak French, if that matters to you. In the short recommendation list, I checked outdoor dining, but that's not available in the winter. I didn't try the wine list, so I can't speak to that. Apparently they have a weekday happy hour, I think it's M-Thu, 5-7:30pm. Gotta try that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, a little loudKenGDined on 11/11/2014Been here twice and have had excellent apps, entrees and dessert. However the acoustics lend itself to being a bit too loud. Also, service on the 2nd visit was slow - took a while for server to come over and greet us and take drink orders. It was a Tuesday night and was not crowded so it should not have been slow. We were celebrating a special occasion with friends (their first time here) and we felt bad for the long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceGourmanVIPDined on 11/11/2014We are semi regulars. We have been guests here on numerous occasions . We always receive great food and great service. We will be back in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better french food than in FranceSassdadVIPDined on 11/11/2014Excellent Steak frite, huge pile of frites. No mayonnaise??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spot!Mgk5uDined on 11/9/2014So nice Cindy Wolf has come to Columbia! Great food, great ambiance, casual yet extremely high quality!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed...againdebbieivVIPDined on 11/9/2014I want this restaurant to succeed, but was disappointed again. Our server was awful. She talked so fast I could not understand her. It took forever for our food to arrive. It was just warm. I had to ask the busboy for ice in my drink. The server didn't even care. There were "regulars" eating at the restaurant while we were there, the manager on duty went to their table several times, but never went to anyone else's. I observed our server at the tables around us and she gave them the same service....almost like a I don't car attitude. Not sure if I will give them another try :(Special Features:
- Columbia gets PL, toodjotakuDined on 11/5/2014I've been to the location in Baltimore a lot, but it's a slog to get there from where I live. This was my first time going to the one in Columbia and they have the same great recipes. The Baltimore space feels more intimate while the Columbia space is more open. Which is better? Depends on your point of view. I find the Baltimore one cozy, but also crowded. I got the Duck Leg this time (I usually get the steak frites, but I had just had steak) along with snail, onion soup, and a side of fries. My wife got the duck breast. Her main dish was extremely delicious. Mine tasted super salty which is how it tasted to my wife when she ordered it before in Baltimore. Appetizers and sides were all awesome.Special Features:
- Parfait, comme d'habitudeLisaDined on 11/1/2014I love that the waiter remembered us from a month ago and brought birthday champagne for the table. Everything we chose from the menu was excellently done, and with an excellent bottle of wine and a real French cheese cart to close, what else could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodMJNNDined on 11/1/2014A great night out, probably a special occasion place for us. Too dark at table, difficult to read menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome waiter!!RSG2Dined on 11/1/2014From the moment we sat down, our waiter, Zachary, was attentive, funny, knowledgable, polite, honest, personable and the list goes on. He made excellent recommendations for appetizers, wine, entrees and side dishes. And he did not disappoint. The salads were generously portioned, the entrees tasty and well presented. The menu variety was very good and I would go back and try something different each time.Special Features:
- Poor serviceJennVIPDined on 10/31/2014The staff at both the restaurant and attached bakery are just awful. I so WANT to like these places - and to patronize them. But after this last encounter, I think I'm done. Our server was really intrusive - basically yelling all the time. We had to stop talking every time she went through the specials at neighboring tables. She mocked us, corrected us (she was in error - and unaware that duck was indeed on the menu. Twice) and she actually shouted across the restaurant at us - to my husbands turned back. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.
- Lucky findMapudimatVIPDined on 10/31/2014Visiting Columbia, MD and chose Petit Louis. Good menu, helpful staff. Allowed us to taste our wines-by-the-glass before deciding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyNancyDined on 10/30/2014Compared to the Roland Park location, Columbia has a little ways to go. The service while good was not sharp and the food while good was not great. I think the chef and management need to switch locations so the Columbia crew can understand the minute differences make good to great!Special Features:
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/24/2014I went out for dinner with my wife and we both placed our orders. After we had the appetizer and when we were ready for the main entree (20-25 min after ordering), we were told our choice was no longer available. I don't understand why we were not told right away so we didn't waste time. We only had 1 hour before we had to pick up the kids and after that had to cancel and ruined our dinner.
- Very DisappointingcitygirlwineVIPDined on 10/23/2014After dining at the Petit Louis in Roland Park for many years I had high expectations of the new Columbia location. I was very disappointed, mostly from the service. Our server refilled our water glasses and when an ice cube dropped into my friend's entree, the server removed it with her hand!!!! All of us lost our appetite at that point. I will not be returning.
- Another Petit LouisMMofBaltimoreVIPDined on 10/22/2014Being a frequent diner at Petit Louis in Roland Park, I was happy to see that the Bistro on the lake is also wonderful.Special Features:
- Petit Louis Does It Again!OldBaltimoreDivaVIPDined on 10/21/2014Bravo to Foreman-Wolf for giving us another fabulous Petit Louis! It is well worth the trip to Columbia. My party of discriminating guests was more than pleased. We had a lovely luncheon in a most beautiful setting. With the Holiday Season fast upon us, the new Columbia Petit Louis will be the perfect setting for your Holiday party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Visit - Still excellentMarylandCoupleDined on 10/19/2014Mussels and Pumpkins were excellent and only surpassed by the Swordfish and Branzino. Had a very good bottle of Sancerre, La Moussiere. Profiteroles and Chocolate Mousse with excellent coffee, served in French Press makers, finished off the meal very nicely.Special Features:
- SpottySilverlaDined on 10/19/2014This was my first visit to Petit Louis. I think the ambiance was spot on. The food was very good. The service was, at best, uninspired. When the entrees were delivered we were asked if we wanted dijon mustard and/or ketchup - we did. By the time it arrived we were well into the meal. I ordered coffee (with cream) after dinner. The coffee was cold, the second cup was tepid, the third was hot enough but just. Each replacement took several minutes and then - no cream - off again. Since the restaurant was almost empty, there was no excuse. I'm hoping this was an aberration, and plan to return to try out some more of the menu because this is a spot I want to like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencePhalgalDined on 10/18/2014This was our first visit to Petit Louis. We thought everything was wonderful, and would definitely recommend it as a special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- A new gem in columbiaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Thoroughly enjoyed an early Saturday dinner with friend. Food was great! Exceptional service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Great service, great wine, fine location. Very, very good food, the classics - done imaginatively and very well. can't wait to come back and try more of this menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb neck/Half priced winekateewaldVIPDined on 10/16/2014The lamb neck for two was amazing, as were the seasonal desserts. Although we live in Baltimore, we'll definitely be back for half-priced wines on Thursdays, since there are a few select gems that don't cross-over from Petit Louis in Roland Park's list! Will was amazing as per usual, and Jason was great.Special Features:
- Third time not a charmdavieVIPDined on 10/13/2014I took my wife and a guest to this restaurant - the third time I had been there. The other times, I enjoyed the food. This time, I ordered steak frites and a side of eggplant. The New York strip steak had a lot of gristle and was tough - not the quality expected at a up-scale restaurant like this. I sent it back. I should have sent the eggplant back too because it was undercooked and not appetizing. The manager offered a different entree which I declined. I likely will not go to this restaurant again.
- Relaxed bistro diningNobodySpecialVIPDined on 10/11/2014It's nice to be able to write about a restaurant experience that was genuinely relaxing and provided a nice escape from the world around us. We eased our way through a multi-course meal, and felt absolutely no pressure to be giving up the table. The wine list is excellent and the sommelier knows his stuff. We had a simple and classically French meal; foie gras, frissee salad, and braised beef, followed by a sweet dessert. We split the plates and had an excellent wines to accompany. I am looking forward to my next meal at Petit Louis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014Wonderful and inviting from the beginning. This restaurant really has an authentic feel; much attention has been paid to the decor. The service is amazing from beginning to end. It is not just friendly, but very personable. I will definitely give a special thank you to Zachary for being such an amazing waiter! The only downside I have found is the way noise carries through the dining room. It is not that it is too loud, but the room acoustics (especially in the back) sometimes make it hard to concentrate on your own table conversation.Special Features:
- Fabulous food/phenomenal view55AndStillDined on 10/9/2014Take Roland Park's Petit Louis, spread it out, add a view and you've created PL Two. The welcoming atmosphere and fabulous food of one is part of two, too. Four of us shared the lobster mushrooms. My mouth is still watering from the tantalizing, unique flavor. We also sampled the picturesque Napoléon eggplant appetizer. It tasted as good as it looked. Our principaux were also divine. And we did leave room for heavenly desserts.Special Features:
- Definitely worth a few visitsMarylandCoupleDined on 10/5/2014The food, service and atmosphere are above average, but some might find the place a bit pretentious. You can get down to earth with the French Onion Soup and the Croque-Monsieur for about $20 and be more than satisfied. For the more refined crowd, start with escargot and have the duck breast. The Quiche Lorraine is excellent and the portion size is greater than expected. The wine list is a book. While you won't find a cheap bottle of Bogle, what is offered is excellent, although many will consider the wines pricey. Wine by the glass will be considered more affordable for most without giving up much quality. I believe the restaurant will do well and have a regular following.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014It was a lovely evening - the decor is beautiful and the food and service was outstanding. We are lucky to have this wonderful addition to Columbia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice enoughmkwgDined on 10/4/2014I would say it was nice enought that I would go back, but the food was not excepetional. The overall expereince was nice. We asked for a change of table location, because one room was exceptionally loud. The waiter was outstanding. All in all, a good experience.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014All around great find and addition for affordable fine dining in Columbia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoanDined on 9/28/2014Always very special....The food, delicious and the ambiance delightful, I feel at though it is in Paris - almost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & ambianceJosyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a fabulous evening, great traditional French food, fantastic wine, attentive & cordial service, comfortable- everything was great. Will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vive la France!MichaelBVIPDined on 9/24/2014My wife & I celebrated our 20th anniversary here last night, and we could not have picked a better place! Everything was perfect, including the live cabaret music by Maladie d'Amour in the bar/lounge (Wednesdays from 5:30 to 7:30). Moreover, the complimentary dessert (i.e., a heavenly cinnamon crème brulee topped w/ roasted apples) for our anniversary was a nice surprise! Keep up the good work!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/24/2014Held a small business dinner in the private room and it was perfect! The pace of the evening was just right. Help with the wine list was much appreciated. Everyone raved over their meal. Will absolutely hold business dinners here in the future. Have enjoyed lunch and dinners here with friends since the day they opened. Never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice birthday dinnermeowDined on 9/23/2014I took one of my friend's to Petit Louis in Columbia. Our waiter knew that my friend and I hadn't seen each other in a while. He was very attentive to us, but at the same time, he was not intrusive. He allowed us to "hang out" and catch up. For an appetizer, we split the shrimp beignets; entrees ordered were the NY strip steak with pommes frites; and we also had the champignon as a side. Everything was delicious. The restaurant gave us a free creme brulee as it was my friend's birthday. They put a candle on it. It was a nice touch. Honestly, though we were so full, that we didn't think we could finish the free dessert, but we did. It was wonderful. We will definitely come back to Petit Louis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Taste of FranceTheBartonsDined on 9/23/2014We have been eating at Petit Louis Bistro in Roland Park since it opened many years ago. I am delighted to find that Petit Louis Bistro in Columbia is providing the same "taste of France" at another location.Special Features: