Petit Louis – Columbia
10215 Wincopin Cir
Columbia, MD 21044Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Petit Louis – Columbia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.petitlouis.com/
- Phone: 410-964-9999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon - Fri 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Mon - Thur 5pm - 10pm
Dinner: Fri & Sat 5pm - 10pm
Dinner: Sun 5pm - 10pm
Brunch: Sun 10:30am - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday 8am
Saturday & Sunday 8am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Wine Bar, French
- Executive Chef: James Lewandowski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Petit Louis – Columbia
Tony Foreman and Cindy Wolf’s classic bistro on the lake in Columbia features rustic fare, an extensive, award winning French wine list & a lively Parisian atmosphere with gorgeous lake views. Outdoor seating is seasonal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Petit Louis – Columbia - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Petit Louis – Columbia reviews from OpenTable diners
240 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)great for outdoor dining (141)special occasion (134)notable wine list (116)neighborhood gem (109)scenic view (108)romantic (91)great for brunch (64)great for lunch (64)good for groups (64)hot spot (26)kid-friendly (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (9)Show More
- love itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Great service, great wine, fine location. Very, very good food, the classics - done imaginatively and very well. can't wait to come back and try more of this menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb neck/Half priced winekateewaldVIPDined on 10/16/2014The lamb neck for two was amazing, as were the seasonal desserts. Although we live in Baltimore, we'll definitely be back for half-priced wines on Thursdays, since there are a few select gems that don't cross-over from Petit Louis in Roland Park's list! Will was amazing as per usual, and Jason was great.Special Features:
- Third time not a charmdavieVIPDined on 10/13/2014I took my wife and a guest to this restaurant - the third time I had been there. The other times, I enjoyed the food. This time, I ordered steak frites and a side of eggplant. The New York strip steak had a lot of gristle and was tough - not the quality expected at a up-scale restaurant like this. I sent it back. I should have sent the eggplant back too because it was undercooked and not appetizing. The manager offered a different entree which I declined. I likely will not go to this restaurant again.
- Relaxed bistro diningNobodySpecialVIPDined on 10/11/2014It's nice to be able to write about a restaurant experience that was genuinely relaxing and provided a nice escape from the world around us. We eased our way through a multi-course meal, and felt absolutely no pressure to be giving up the table. The wine list is excellent and the sommelier knows his stuff. We had a simple and classically French meal; foie gras, frissee salad, and braised beef, followed by a sweet dessert. We split the plates and had an excellent wines to accompany. I am looking forward to my next meal at Petit Louis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014Wonderful and inviting from the beginning. This restaurant really has an authentic feel; much attention has been paid to the decor. The service is amazing from beginning to end. It is not just friendly, but very personable. I will definitely give a special thank you to Zachary for being such an amazing waiter! The only downside I have found is the way noise carries through the dining room. It is not that it is too loud, but the room acoustics (especially in the back) sometimes make it hard to concentrate on your own table conversation.Special Features:
- Fabulous food/phenomenal view55AndStillDined on 10/9/2014Take Roland Park's Petit Louis, spread it out, add a view and you've created PL Two. The welcoming atmosphere and fabulous food of one is part of two, too. Four of us shared the lobster mushrooms. My mouth is still watering from the tantalizing, unique flavor. We also sampled the picturesque Napoléon eggplant appetizer. It tasted as good as it looked. Our principaux were also divine. And we did leave room for heavenly desserts.Special Features:
- Definitely worth a few visitsMarylandCoupleDined on 10/5/2014The food, service and atmosphere are above average, but some might find the place a bit pretentious. You can get down to earth with the French Onion Soup and the Croque-Monsieur for about $20 and be more than satisfied. For the more refined crowd, start with escargot and have the duck breast. The Quiche Lorraine is excellent and the portion size is greater than expected. The wine list is a book. While you won't find a cheap bottle of Bogle, what is offered is excellent, although many will consider the wines pricey. Wine by the glass will be considered more affordable for most without giving up much quality. I believe the restaurant will do well and have a regular following.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014It was a lovely evening - the decor is beautiful and the food and service was outstanding. We are lucky to have this wonderful addition to Columbia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice enoughmkwgDined on 10/4/2014I would say it was nice enought that I would go back, but the food was not excepetional. The overall expereince was nice. We asked for a change of table location, because one room was exceptionally loud. The waiter was outstanding. All in all, a good experience.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014All around great find and addition for affordable fine dining in Columbia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoanDined on 9/28/2014Always very special....The food, delicious and the ambiance delightful, I feel at though it is in Paris - almost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & ambianceJosyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a fabulous evening, great traditional French food, fantastic wine, attentive & cordial service, comfortable- everything was great. Will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vive la France!MichaelBVIPDined on 9/24/2014My wife & I celebrated our 20th anniversary here last night, and we could not have picked a better place! Everything was perfect, including the live cabaret music by Maladie d'Amour in the bar/lounge (Wednesdays from 5:30 to 7:30). Moreover, the complimentary dessert (i.e., a heavenly cinnamon crème brulee topped w/ roasted apples) for our anniversary was a nice surprise! Keep up the good work!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/24/2014Held a small business dinner in the private room and it was perfect! The pace of the evening was just right. Help with the wine list was much appreciated. Everyone raved over their meal. Will absolutely hold business dinners here in the future. Have enjoyed lunch and dinners here with friends since the day they opened. Never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice birthday dinnermeowDined on 9/23/2014I took one of my friend's to Petit Louis in Columbia. Our waiter knew that my friend and I hadn't seen each other in a while. He was very attentive to us, but at the same time, he was not intrusive. He allowed us to "hang out" and catch up. For an appetizer, we split the shrimp beignets; entrees ordered were the NY strip steak with pommes frites; and we also had the champignon as a side. Everything was delicious. The restaurant gave us a free creme brulee as it was my friend's birthday. They put a candle on it. It was a nice touch. Honestly, though we were so full, that we didn't think we could finish the free dessert, but we did. It was wonderful. We will definitely come back to Petit Louis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Taste of FranceTheBartonsDined on 9/23/2014We have been eating at Petit Louis Bistro in Roland Park since it opened many years ago. I am delighted to find that Petit Louis Bistro in Columbia is providing the same "taste of France" at another location.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and serviceDestinyDined on 9/20/2014We had a great time! The food was good and not once did we feel rushed at all. It was for a birthday celebration. Everyone at the restaurant was very warm and welcoming. The duck breast was cooked to perfection! A definite must try. They have a very extensive wine list as well. Overall a great restaurant for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Great DinnerLocalFoodieDined on 9/20/2014It's always a great experience at Petit Louis, and the Columbia location didn't disappoint. The location on the lake is beautiful. The food is excellent, and the wait staff is very well-informed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/19/2014Excellently executed French cuisine. Duck confit was perfect. Mussels slightly overdone. Side of mushrooms divine. Excellent wine, though server described it as "cat pee." Pot de creme was excellent. Manager was so kind, she realized one woman in our group was out celebrating her birthday. As we left, she handed her a bow-tied box of pastries. Nice touch. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- DisappointedLuvagoodmealDined on 9/19/2014Our first visit had been great, so this one was a surprising disappointment. Lighting so dark you could hardly see. Acoustics made it difficult to hear conversation, even with few other diners. Another couple was seated right next to us when there was plenty of ace to spread out. Most unfortunate was the entree. The gigot d'agneau was thin and gristly. The grilled eggplant was so oily and salty we had to send it back for a different side, which was also overdone on oil. Fortunately, the service was attentive. Kind of a shame they don't give servers some basic training inFrench pronunciation. Not sure that we'll be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014So thrilled to have Petit Louis in Columbia! Never disappointed. Consistently good food, fabulous service and terrific wine list! A very affordable restaurant - you must try it!Special Features:
- Fine French Food in ColumbiaPhillyBeerWeekPhanDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I went to Petit Louis Bistro for her birthday. It had a great reputation from the Roland Park location. We were not disappointed. The youthful wait staff was helpful and attentive. The food was wonderful. My wife had a perfectly prepared New York Strip. I had a delicious grilled Branzino (European sea bass). Sides of mushrooms, haricot verts, and potatoes were excellent. My wife the wine lover liked the wine list although I thought the wine was pricey. Our waitress surprised my wife with a complimentary birthday desert that was appreciated. I had the pots de crime which was a delicious conclusion to a great evening. Outstanding French food on the lakeside in Columbia is a winner. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!BillsbestfriendVIPDined on 9/18/2014The food is wonderful with the tempting 'Comptoir' attached to take home a tasty treat for dessert or breakfast the next morning! The service is excellent as you would expect any good French restaurant to have. We shall be back many many more times - if you want good food & service and a pleasant ambience, go to Petite Louies!Special Features:
- Poor service--good service recoverygoodfoodDined on 9/17/2014Everything was good until it came time for our entrees. we waited over an hour with no sign of our waiter for about the first 30 minutes of that. then a small piece of cheese came for us with an apology--then some toast points ten minutes later. Then the real apology with a bottle of wine or dessert. Very surprising for a Cindy Wolf restaurant. I'll go back because that's my first bad experience and the service recovery was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obnoxious waiter, fair foodMarcoDined on 9/16/2014My wife took me to Petit Louis for my birthday. It was a Tuesday night and not very crowded. As we were talking to our waitress, another waiter across the restaurant began shouting and singing very loudly. Our waitress had to stop talking because we couldn't hear her over this obnoxious fellow, who apparently decided to celebrate with the table he was serving. After a few of these outbursts, one of the wait staff went over and closed some doors to the room where the obnoxious waiter was bellowing, and we could finally relax. I had steak frites, which couldn't have been prepared more ordinary. I could have gotten the same at our local pub. It just wasn't special. Plain food, bad ambience ruined the evening. Wine as WAY overpriced.Special Features:
- French food in Columbiaamateurfoodie2014Dined on 9/13/2014Who knew that you could get excellent French food in Columbia, Md. ? Now I know! I've been to Petit Louis twice--once for brunch and a second time for a birthday dinner. Both times were excellent! I would give this restaurant the highest rating.... No need to go to downtown D.C. for a gourmet experience anymore!!!Special Features:
- AverageBaltimoreDinerDined on 9/12/2014The Baltimore "Petit Louis" reputation did not appear to be upheld at the Columbia restaurant. The menu sounded creative and imaginative, but the implementation fell short of my expectations. My fish selection was so salty that I could not finish it. My dining partner's chicken selection fared a bit better. The dessert, while tasty, was far from excellent. Overall, while not a bad meal, it was certainly not a memorable one. The restaurant is lovely and the location is a plus. Hopefully, in due time, the food preparation will improve.Special Features:
- PETIT LOUIS C'EST GRANDE!N2itallDined on 9/10/2014Our first visit to Petit Louis Bistro in Columbia exceeded already high expectations in every category. As frequent diners at Charleston in Baltimore, we were anxious to see if the Wolf-Foreman team could again deliver the perfect dining experience. They have! Everything was thoroughly enjoyed. Our table for 4 celebrating a birthday enjoyed 3-exquisite courses for lunch. The wine selections were perfectly paired with the food. We enjoyed salmon, trout and omelet du jour entrees. We particularly appreciate the wait staff, who once again have mastered the art of giving timely and attentive service in a manner that makes you feel perfectly at home. We can't wait to plan our next visit to Petit Louis!Special Features:
- We'll be backPickyDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Nice to find a decent restaurant in Columbia that serves a bit later. Kind of noisy, but cute. Nice "view" by the lake. We would have sat outside, but it was raining. Food pretty good and not inordinately expensive. The mussels were delicious, and the duck breast was very good. The chef could go a little easier on the salt. The chef could go a little easier on the salt, though. Service was good. Wine suggested by the waiter was VERY good. We'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why Columbia and not Roland Park?samyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Because the food is equally good and the atmoshere is betterSpecial Features:
- Good place in Columbia.DZcolumbiaDined on 9/5/2014Good place to try French cooking in Columbia. Not a vast selection in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014Enjoyed our Friday night date at Petit Louis. We both had the Steak Frites. Found it quite tasty. I ate all of my fries which I never do. Steak was cooked as requested. Service was good.Special Features:
- Parisian Bistro, Good Food, PriceyLeslieavaVIPDined on 9/2/2014I imagine sitting outside overlooking the lake on a not too humid evening would be delightful, but when we dined, it was raining. The decor is a beautiful mirror of a Parisian bistro. The food was tasty but small portions and my plate had to be returned because it was lukewarm in temperature. Wine list good, but pricey for a delicious glass of wine. Less expensive wines are tepid in flavor. Our waiter was a delight, but based on other reviews, perhaps because the restaurant had few diners in it on a week night; therefore, we received lots of attention.Special Features:
- Food was good, service was roughcs186Dined on 8/31/2014We may have had a new server, but still, it was pretty bad. It has to be pretty rough for me to write a less than enthusiastic review. There were maybe 5 tables in the entire restaurant at that hour and each seemed to have their own server. We were _constantly_ waiting for things. One of the worst server experiences we have had in years. Drinks took forever, we had our menus a very long time before our order was taken, etc. The turnaround on the check was fast, though. We will go again as we like French very much, hoping this was a one-off. The other servers seemed to be on the ball (I had plenty of time to watch them). The food was great - didn't blow me away - but is was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed revieweatingoutDined on 8/31/2014Finally made it to Petit Louis Bistro Columbia after anticipating its opening and hearing the rave reviews. Frankly, our experience was mixed. Two in our party order the steak dinner - steaks weren't anything special and neither was prepared as we had requested (rare.). Crispy eggplant hors d'oeuvre was heavy on the breading, though the cheese, tomatoes and sauce were wonderful. Others in our party were pleased with their entree orders (Bronzino and mussels.). Server was energetic and attentive. We probably won't be back.Special Features:
- DisappointmentGlencliffeVIPDined on 8/31/2014As long-time patrons of the Petit Louis Roland Park location we took friends to celebrate their anniversary at this new location in Columbia. The larger restaurant has many similarities to the parent, unfortunately the food is not up to the same standard. The wait staff is still learning - this will take some time - but they are trying hard. The menu looks the same - same dishes but even though the recipes may be the same the result is not. We wish them well but will return to Roland Park rather than Columbia. Assistant Manager was gracious, offering a special on-the house drink for our friend's anniversary.
- Skimpy FareFootedContessa1VIPDined on 8/30/2014Portions are small. If not for the bread, we would have left hungry. Pot de Creme dessert was the highlight for us!
- Best in ColumbiabaltimoreJimDined on 8/29/2014The split chicken dish was great as well as the heirloom tomatoesSpecial Features:
- Very Lovely DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed our anniversary dinner here -- and right from the welcome to the goodbye the service and the staff couldn't have been more attentive. Loved the salad with romaine, endive, walnut and roquefort cheese. My branzino was delicious, although my husband said his steak was okay, nice but not wonderful. The frites, however, were. Very nice selection of wines by the glass. We were happy sitting indoors, although outside looked like a good spot too. We'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Like the Original--So Far......CharmCityGalDined on 8/29/2014I expected the beautiful, sunny Friday before Labor Day would bring out the diners who had taken a long weekend or wanted a special lunch break with colleagues. Between Open Table and the restaurant itself, I probably had 4 reminders about my reservation. With both of these things in mind, I expected to see the bustling crowd common to the original location (or any well-loved brasserie.) At 12:10 pm the restaurant was empty (a few diners were outside) so I felt stupid for panicking that I was minutes late. The staff was very good--buttoned-up & gracious, the location -as always- gets an "A", however the quiche I had felt phoned in. My experience with PL or brasserie food in general is that the simpler a dish is, the better it should be. :-(Special Features: