Petit Louis – Columbia
10215 Wincopin Cir
Columbia, MD 21044Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Petit Louis – Columbia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.petitlouis.com/
- Phone: 410-964-9999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon - Fri 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Mon - Thur 5pm - 10pm
Dinner: Fri & Sat 5pm - 11pm
Dinner: Sun 5pm - 9pm
Brunch: Sun 10:30am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday 8am
Saturday & Sunday 8am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, French
- Executive Chef: James Lewandowski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Petit Louis – Columbia
Tony Foreman and Cindy Wolf’s French Bistro on the lake in Columbia features classic fare, an extensive, award winning French wine list & a lively Parisian atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Petit Louis – Columbia - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Petit Louis – Columbia reviews from OpenTable diners
272 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (168)great for outdoor dining (159)special occasion (149)notable wine list (135)scenic view (131)neighborhood gem (114)romantic (106)great for brunch (66)great for lunch (63)good for groups (61)hot spot (26)kid-friendly (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (10)Show More
- Fantastic food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014We had a great time! The food was good and not once did we feel rushed at all. It was for a birthday celebration. Everyone at the restaurant was very warm and welcoming. The duck breast was cooked to perfection! A definite must try. They have a very extensive wine list as well. Overall a great restaurant for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014It's always a great experience at Petit Louis, and the Columbia location didn't disappoint. The location on the lake is beautiful. The food is excellent, and the wait staff is very well-informed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/19/2014Excellently executed French cuisine. Duck confit was perfect. Mussels slightly overdone. Side of mushrooms divine. Excellent wine, though server described it as "cat pee." Pot de creme was excellent. Manager was so kind, she realized one woman in our group was out celebrating her birthday. As we left, she handed her a bow-tied box of pastries. Nice touch. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- DisappointedLuvagoodmealDined on 9/19/2014Our first visit had been great, so this one was a surprising disappointment. Lighting so dark you could hardly see. Acoustics made it difficult to hear conversation, even with few other diners. Another couple was seated right next to us when there was plenty of ace to spread out. Most unfortunate was the entree. The gigot d'agneau was thin and gristly. The grilled eggplant was so oily and salty we had to send it back for a different side, which was also overdone on oil. Fortunately, the service was attentive. Kind of a shame they don't give servers some basic training inFrench pronunciation. Not sure that we'll be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014So thrilled to have Petit Louis in Columbia! Never disappointed. Consistently good food, fabulous service and terrific wine list! A very affordable restaurant - you must try it!Special Features:
- Fine French Food in ColumbiaPhillyBeerWeekPhanDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I went to Petit Louis Bistro for her birthday. It had a great reputation from the Roland Park location. We were not disappointed. The youthful wait staff was helpful and attentive. The food was wonderful. My wife had a perfectly prepared New York Strip. I had a delicious grilled Branzino (European sea bass). Sides of mushrooms, haricot verts, and potatoes were excellent. My wife the wine lover liked the wine list although I thought the wine was pricey. Our waitress surprised my wife with a complimentary birthday desert that was appreciated. I had the pots de crime which was a delicious conclusion to a great evening. Outstanding French food on the lakeside in Columbia is a winner. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!BillsbestfriendVIPDined on 9/18/2014The food is wonderful with the tempting 'Comptoir' attached to take home a tasty treat for dessert or breakfast the next morning! The service is excellent as you would expect any good French restaurant to have. We shall be back many many more times - if you want good food & service and a pleasant ambience, go to Petite Louies!Special Features:
- Poor service--good service recoverygoodfoodDined on 9/17/2014Everything was good until it came time for our entrees. we waited over an hour with no sign of our waiter for about the first 30 minutes of that. then a small piece of cheese came for us with an apology--then some toast points ten minutes later. Then the real apology with a bottle of wine or dessert. Very surprising for a Cindy Wolf restaurant. I'll go back because that's my first bad experience and the service recovery was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obnoxious waiter, fair foodMarcoDined on 9/16/2014My wife took me to Petit Louis for my birthday. It was a Tuesday night and not very crowded. As we were talking to our waitress, another waiter across the restaurant began shouting and singing very loudly. Our waitress had to stop talking because we couldn't hear her over this obnoxious fellow, who apparently decided to celebrate with the table he was serving. After a few of these outbursts, one of the wait staff went over and closed some doors to the room where the obnoxious waiter was bellowing, and we could finally relax. I had steak frites, which couldn't have been prepared more ordinary. I could have gotten the same at our local pub. It just wasn't special. Plain food, bad ambience ruined the evening. Wine as WAY overpriced.Special Features:
- French food in Columbiaamateurfoodie2014Dined on 9/13/2014Who knew that you could get excellent French food in Columbia, Md. ? Now I know! I've been to Petit Louis twice--once for brunch and a second time for a birthday dinner. Both times were excellent! I would give this restaurant the highest rating.... No need to go to downtown D.C. for a gourmet experience anymore!!!Special Features:
- AverageBaltimoreDinerDined on 9/12/2014The Baltimore "Petit Louis" reputation did not appear to be upheld at the Columbia restaurant. The menu sounded creative and imaginative, but the implementation fell short of my expectations. My fish selection was so salty that I could not finish it. My dining partner's chicken selection fared a bit better. The dessert, while tasty, was far from excellent. Overall, while not a bad meal, it was certainly not a memorable one. The restaurant is lovely and the location is a plus. Hopefully, in due time, the food preparation will improve.Special Features:
- PETIT LOUIS C'EST GRANDE!N2itallDined on 9/10/2014Our first visit to Petit Louis Bistro in Columbia exceeded already high expectations in every category. As frequent diners at Charleston in Baltimore, we were anxious to see if the Wolf-Foreman team could again deliver the perfect dining experience. They have! Everything was thoroughly enjoyed. Our table for 4 celebrating a birthday enjoyed 3-exquisite courses for lunch. The wine selections were perfectly paired with the food. We enjoyed salmon, trout and omelet du jour entrees. We particularly appreciate the wait staff, who once again have mastered the art of giving timely and attentive service in a manner that makes you feel perfectly at home. We can't wait to plan our next visit to Petit Louis!Special Features:
- We'll be backPickyDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Nice to find a decent restaurant in Columbia that serves a bit later. Kind of noisy, but cute. Nice "view" by the lake. We would have sat outside, but it was raining. Food pretty good and not inordinately expensive. The mussels were delicious, and the duck breast was very good. The chef could go a little easier on the salt. The chef could go a little easier on the salt, though. Service was good. Wine suggested by the waiter was VERY good. We'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why Columbia and not Roland Park?samyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Because the food is equally good and the atmoshere is betterSpecial Features:
- Good place in Columbia.DZcolumbiaDined on 9/5/2014Good place to try French cooking in Columbia. Not a vast selection in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014Enjoyed our Friday night date at Petit Louis. We both had the Steak Frites. Found it quite tasty. I ate all of my fries which I never do. Steak was cooked as requested. Service was good.Special Features:
- Parisian Bistro, Good Food, PriceyLeslieavaVIPDined on 9/2/2014I imagine sitting outside overlooking the lake on a not too humid evening would be delightful, but when we dined, it was raining. The decor is a beautiful mirror of a Parisian bistro. The food was tasty but small portions and my plate had to be returned because it was lukewarm in temperature. Wine list good, but pricey for a delicious glass of wine. Less expensive wines are tepid in flavor. Our waiter was a delight, but based on other reviews, perhaps because the restaurant had few diners in it on a week night; therefore, we received lots of attention.Special Features:
- Food was good, service was roughcs186Dined on 8/31/2014We may have had a new server, but still, it was pretty bad. It has to be pretty rough for me to write a less than enthusiastic review. There were maybe 5 tables in the entire restaurant at that hour and each seemed to have their own server. We were _constantly_ waiting for things. One of the worst server experiences we have had in years. Drinks took forever, we had our menus a very long time before our order was taken, etc. The turnaround on the check was fast, though. We will go again as we like French very much, hoping this was a one-off. The other servers seemed to be on the ball (I had plenty of time to watch them). The food was great - didn't blow me away - but is was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed revieweatingoutDined on 8/31/2014Finally made it to Petit Louis Bistro Columbia after anticipating its opening and hearing the rave reviews. Frankly, our experience was mixed. Two in our party order the steak dinner - steaks weren't anything special and neither was prepared as we had requested (rare.). Crispy eggplant hors d'oeuvre was heavy on the breading, though the cheese, tomatoes and sauce were wonderful. Others in our party were pleased with their entree orders (Bronzino and mussels.). Server was energetic and attentive. We probably won't be back.Special Features:
- DisappointmentGlencliffeVIPDined on 8/31/2014As long-time patrons of the Petit Louis Roland Park location we took friends to celebrate their anniversary at this new location in Columbia. The larger restaurant has many similarities to the parent, unfortunately the food is not up to the same standard. The wait staff is still learning - this will take some time - but they are trying hard. The menu looks the same - same dishes but even though the recipes may be the same the result is not. We wish them well but will return to Roland Park rather than Columbia. Assistant Manager was gracious, offering a special on-the house drink for our friend's anniversary.
- Skimpy FareFootedContessa1VIPDined on 8/30/2014Portions are small. If not for the bread, we would have left hungry. Pot de Creme dessert was the highlight for us!
- Best in ColumbiabaltimoreJimDined on 8/29/2014The split chicken dish was great as well as the heirloom tomatoesSpecial Features:
- Very Lovely DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed our anniversary dinner here -- and right from the welcome to the goodbye the service and the staff couldn't have been more attentive. Loved the salad with romaine, endive, walnut and roquefort cheese. My branzino was delicious, although my husband said his steak was okay, nice but not wonderful. The frites, however, were. Very nice selection of wines by the glass. We were happy sitting indoors, although outside looked like a good spot too. We'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Like the Original--So Far......CharmCityGalDined on 8/29/2014I expected the beautiful, sunny Friday before Labor Day would bring out the diners who had taken a long weekend or wanted a special lunch break with colleagues. Between Open Table and the restaurant itself, I probably had 4 reminders about my reservation. With both of these things in mind, I expected to see the bustling crowd common to the original location (or any well-loved brasserie.) At 12:10 pm the restaurant was empty (a few diners were outside) so I felt stupid for panicking that I was minutes late. The staff was very good--buttoned-up & gracious, the location -as always- gets an "A", however the quiche I had felt phoned in. My experience with PL or brasserie food in general is that the simpler a dish is, the better it should be. :-(Special Features:
- JackEVIPDined on 8/28/2014Outdoor seating looks out onto dockside. Very peacefulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JayMacJayMacDined on 8/28/2014Disappointing all around, since we've enjoyed Petit Louis in Roland Park in the past. Unimaginative menu, food generally overcooked--both salmon and steak cooked waaaay beyond the medium rare both recommended by the waiter and requested by the diners. The waiter was pleasant, but not highly skilled. Nice view of the lake. Overall rating is two stars or one "meh".Special Features:
- Excellent, as always.BethiebethDined on 8/27/2014Gracious and competent service. Generous portions of very tasty food. We shared the chicken, carved very professionally at table side. We were there on a weeknight so the noise level was not too high. A most enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- Noise levelPammyDined on 8/27/2014I've been twice and the food was very good. We sat inside our first visit and it was very loud. Our second visit we sat outside and it was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need to work on serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/27/2014I ordered a frisee salad minus the egg and halfway thru I realized that not only had they taken off the egg, they had ALSO taken out all of the cheese!
- MoJoDined on 8/26/2014Excellent Food; Great service waitstaff and bartender. Loved sitting outside on a wonderful summer evening.Special Features:
- Never disappointedetsaotrgVIPDined on 8/26/2014We have eaten at Petit Louis in Columbia and always left satisied. Tried the dinner special recently (garlic flan with vegetables- appetizer, head-on shrimp with rice- main course) with recommended wine pairing which was simply outstanding. The wine complimented the meal pefectly and the service was always attentive (but not intrusive).Special Features:
- Still have hopeWorldgourmandDined on 8/25/2014Opended a few months ago, this restaurant has lots of potential. Just hope they don't stop improving. I went last Monday to celebrate my daughter's birthday and got a little disappointed. Even having very few guests, the service was very slow and it was hard finding someone to ask anything. And things that we had had chance to ask would never be provided, even sugar or butter. Employees would pass by trying to avoid eye contact, so it seemed that there was no willingness to serve. At the end, we gave up on ordering desserts. This was our third time in 3 months there and we haven't seen any change on the menu, still very limited. I intend to give them another chance, but will give them a couple of months to see if there was any improvement.Special Features:
- Great FoodGourmanVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have dined here on more than 3 occassions, everytime we have only had great experiences. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchPRpersonDined on 8/24/2014The staff is very friendly. The food was delicious .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 8/23/2014Food was great as was the service. Attentive but not cloying. Our only real gripe was the noise level. I don't know if it was just the room we were in but, at a table for four, we found it difficult to hear the person across the table. I would still go back. My wife had the Branzino and was very happy with it. My braised short ribs were good as well. The French onion soup was terrific. The Pot de creme (sp?) for dessert was a hit too.Special Features:
- Way too fastOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/20142nd time here since May 30. Very different experience. The food was outstanding, beautifully prepared & presented although there were far too many frites & no veggies on the steak frites plate. The pace was frantic this time. We were in & out in a little less than an hour in spite of ordering a cocktail & an appetizer. We were put off by the extremely fast run through by our waiter, Russell & felt stunned when he finished.The entrees arrived before either were finished. We noticed that the other 2 tables of 2 on either side of us were being rushed at this same pace. When we dine at an elegant French restaurant, we expect French pacing. We will return to Tersiguel's where we have been dining for 36 years the next time we want French food.Special Features:
- A Special Send-OffJackieDined on 8/21/2014Each year it gets harder to send our daughters off -- this year was especially hard since one is heading off to NYC for her first job in the real world. Petit Louis made it easier. We all had a wonderful time - had a lot of laughs, but most importantly enjoyed sharing our food selections with each other and having a family meal in a really cool place. I am so glad that Wolf/Foreman chose Columbia for this bistro. Especially since our longtime favorite, Café de Paris, closed its doors. We will miss Monsieur Erik but the loss will be somewhat softened by Petit Louis.Special Features:
- CelebrationsebccolumbiamdDined on 8/17/2014Lovely atmosphere and specialty services from pre-appetizers to desserts! My family's choice for celebrating life's milestones. Thank you to Tony Foreman & The Foreman/Wolfe Group for a wonderful restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like back in ParisBonVivantDined on 8/16/2014From the hostess's greeting at the door to impeccable food and service: it was an amazing dinner. Went with my wife for our anniversary and couldn't have made a better choice. Impeccable service and management staff (specially Wendy) were on point the entire evening. The wine list is amazing and bar staff knowledgeable and friendly. Definitely will recommend to others.Special Features:
- Ooh La La. We Shall Return ... SoonJimDeeVIPDined on 8/16/2014Was here Today at La Comptoir (excuse my French) - The Counter / Cafe and was Pleasantly Surprised. I couldn't see much of the chicken, but the young lady (? Ms. Red Eye ... My Fav Drink - Cafe mixed w Expresso) explained it was like Chicken Salad. The Chicken Taragon Sub / Sandwich was Delicious & Moist. Don't forget to start with an Almond Croissant or Fruit Tart first. Bonjour to Mgr. Wendy et Ms. RE. I was glad the Seafood Gumbo at the new place down the way was Cold, so I could end up at Ooh La La w Wendy, Ms RE et P Louis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.