Pete's Cafe & Bar
400 S. Main St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pete's Cafe & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://petescafe.com/
- Phone: 2136171000x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 2:00am
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michelle Lainez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Pete's Cafe & Bar
Pete's Cafe & Bar is a friendly neighborhood eatery in the heart of Downtown LA's Old Bank District. We offer a casual atmosphere, very much in the tradition of a New York style bistro. Celebrating 10 years, the high-ceilinged space, with its old-fashioned black-and-white tile floor, long marble-and-mahogany bar and dramatic view of downtown, is a casual but cosmopolitan setting that suits its menu of American classics with a few interesting wrinkles. Voted "Best American" by the Downtown News, offers a menu featuring grass fed beef, locally sourced ingredients and LA's best Mac 'n Cheese. The assortment of specialty fries, especially the Bleu Cheese Fries are local favorites. Serving food nightly until last call!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Pete's Cafe & Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Pete's Cafe & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (25)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (22)late-night find (20)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (12)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (9)romantic (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (4)Show More
- PSmithVIPDined on 8/21/2014What don't I like/love about Pete's! Always my first choice to show a new friend downtown. Now, we look forward to a newly renovated space! And an exciting menu with the change happening this month! Can't wait.Special Features:
- Great spot for a late night dinnerRoadWarriorVIPDined on 7/30/2014I arrived at LAX at 830 pm and we needed a place for a late, healthy meal. Pete's did not disappoint The Lamb Bolognese was wonderful. So was the beet salad. The hostess and waitress made the evening! I was really in the mood for BBQ but their special BBQ menu had some odd combinations. (Plus the menu was difficult to read)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour - yes please!AV2XDined on 7/29/2014The best of Pete's are the bartenders. Is like getting a drink on demand according to whatever you are craving that day. They create something for you!! The blue cheese fries are out of this world! Can't really talk about the sitting side because every time we go we end up staying at the bar talking to other people. The ambiance is incredible. It just feels like home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningreader14Dined on 7/22/2014I made reservations for a party of 8. The food was excellent. The waiter was charming and the wine was absolutely delectable!Special Features:
- Pete's CafelydiaolydDined on 7/19/2014After a very long day we landed at Pete's and had a yummy comfort dinner. My comfort started with a sazerac cocktail which was delicious and just what the doctor ordered. We shared a caesar salad, nice and crisp torn romaine with a lemony caesar dressing that was not too gloppy. We shared a small mac n cheese just because and it was creamy and chewy just how it should be came with a small side salad. For entrees I had cornmeal fried chicken(crunchy)with haricot vert(cooked perfectly)and rich mashed potatoes . There was a mustard seed gravy that complemented the corn meal crunch and the creamy potatoes. My pal had the flat iron steak and loved it! Our waiter was friendly and efficient. Happy to eat at this unpretentious downtown cafe!Special Features:
- MoMoRunsDined on 7/13/2014Great beers. Not much of a menu, but the atmosphere is fun and our waiter was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!FoodFanDined on 7/3/2014I've been here a couple of times now and every thing I've tried has been really fantastic. I had squash blossom orrichetti pasta that was even good the next day (couldn't finish it), we shared garlic fries which were just perfectly crunchy and not aggressively garlicky like almost every other version that I've had. My friends got the sage roasted chicken breast with purple potatoes and the coriander grilled salmon - everyone was quite pleased...especially when our peaches with marscapone cheese dessert arrived. I think it's seasonal, but it was perfection! The wait staff was attentive, but didn't rush us out the door. A truly lovely meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On our way to the AhmansonmoorpwrDined on 6/29/2014Less than a mile from the Ahmanson, Pete's has very good food, outdoor seating with a cool urban vibe, and quick, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DowntownDuckieVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is a good choice for late night dining in the nostalgic old bank area of DTLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food were so-soLilyDesArbresDined on 6/21/2014The steak was tough and over priced, the trout had no flavor. The salmon and pasta orchietta were very good, though the thicker part of the salmon was raw (fortunately, I am okay with that, but most of my group would have sent it back).Special Features:
- PSmithVIPDined on 6/20/2014Always my first choice in downtown for the burger and for those blue cheese fries! Also a great staff of waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good meeting placemini4deeDined on 6/13/2014perfect location to meet before sports events, in this case Dodger game. We arrived at 5:30 and were served in time to make our 7:10 baseball game. We had the Chicken pie fries, hamburger, fried chicken and mashed potato, lamb ragu papadelle.. every dish was well prepared and tasty. Good selection of wine, beer and drinks, nice bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodcaiocmaDined on 6/10/2014One of the best fries I've had in a while. Steak was good but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food on a SundayCCMomVIPDined on 6/1/2014We were going to see a film at the Independent Theater on Main Street and ate at Pete's, only a block and a half away. Two of us ordered tomato soup with salad and mac & cheese -- yummy. One friend ordered chicken that was too spicy for her, but the server immediately offered to exchange for broiled chicken. A variation on eggs benedict was the fourth dish. We were all happy and ready to see NTLive's Frankenstein. I'd eaten at Pete's many times when I worked in the area, but Sunday was less crowded and just as tasty.Special Features:
- Excellent service, exquisite foodaventurerDined on 5/27/2014I've been coming to Pete's since they open. Everything I've tried so far it has been excellent but what attracts me to Pete's all of the time is your beyond excellent is your yummy bread pudding. Although is getting smaller every time I go is still the best bread pudding I've ever tasted. Also the salad with walnuts and broiled salmon is so delicious that I wish I could afford to have it every day. The service is beyond excellent all the waiters are so professional and so friendly it is worth coming to Pete's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2014The bar is a fun spot to hang in downtown LA. It's got a nice vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingDanYVIPDined on 5/11/2014We've eaten there many times, but probably won't go back. We were seated for 15 minutes before we were approached by a waiter. We had to ask 3 times for a glass of water, and 3 times for a refill. The appetizers arrived but we had no napkins or cutlery. The entrees arrived before they had cleared the empty plates from the appetizers. We had to actually ask the guy to clear the table when he tried to plop the food down amongst the dirty dishes. My cocktail arrived with no ice. The food was ruined by the cigar smoker 2 tables away. The waiter seemed to think it was amusing that we were bothered by the cigar smoke. There are MUCH better choices downtown now. Pete's is no longer one of them.
- ExcellentSkyyballerDined on 5/11/2014The food here is always great, along with their service. It never feels crowded, even when it gets busy. I was here for both a birthday dinner and Mother's Day, in which they gave all of the moms roses!!! Customer service an food is a huge A++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PSmithVIPDined on 5/11/2014Always something different on the menu, besides the main "staples." Desserts are a highlight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken or the EggCordDined on 5/11/2014Pete's was started to give the historic core a place that new residents in the lofts could go to. People would say, how can you put a restaurant on Main, who would go. but then who would move there with no services like a wonderful place to eat and drink, and Pete's is just that. I recommend the blue cheese fries and the various takes on eggs benedict, just wonderful. Great service, wonderful drinks, a definate recommend.Special Features:
- Great downtown restaurantMDRdinerDined on 5/10/2014We've been here several times before, but not recently. It's a great place for before or after the Ahamson. This time we were also celebrating a birthday. The food was better than I remembered, everything tasted wonderful, the martini was perfect, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatBillJDined on 5/7/2014This is a great "go-to" restaurant. The food is always tops, from their famous burger to the salads, the chefs never disappoint. I have only had lunch here, it can be busy at times, so I recommend making a reservation. Service is also tops, very attentive and caring to ensure your dining experience is on track to being excellent.Special Features:
- The following 150 reviews are from the Pete's Cafe & Bar reviews archive.
- great service & foodjax082Dined on 5/3/2014great service & food. place was chill. safe enough area. dtla is still developingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014I have been to Pete's Cafe & Bar on many occasions. Up until recently the food was above average, even creative in some ways. The service was always terrific. The last two times I visited Pete's have been disappointing. The menu seems more limited and quite ordinary. The service has been the most disappointing part of our experience recently. Although our server was a very pleasant young man, intent on doing his best, the overall service was slow and inattentive. On our most recent visit, three of our party ordered steak cooked medium rare. It was served blood rare. The waiter graciously took back the dishes to be cooked as ordered, but it took far too long to complete and still came out undercooked. I will likely not return.
- serversLAPhildinersDined on 5/1/2014My friend and I have been eating at Pete's several times a year for the past couple of years or more. We've had 3 different servers. Our biggest complaint is that none of them are very observant. None take the time to look around when not involved in taking orders to see if anyone seated needs attention. Often they are at the counter where drinks are dispensed chatting with co-worker instead of facing out to see if anyone is hailing them.Special Features:
- good spot near the AhmansonArnoldDined on 4/26/2014Very good spot for pre-theater at the Ahmanson. About 1.2 miles away. Has a old LA ambience; bar looks like it could be in San Franciso. Enjoyed the visit.Special Features:
- Dee-licious diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Pete's Café and Bar on Saturday night. The creamy butternut squash was excellent!!! And I'm a very good cook, but really loved the added spice - I believe it was cinnamon an it worked really really well. My friend said the salmon was the absolute best she has ever had and the gentlemen with us enjoyed the short rib pot pie. My fish in a casseoulet was wonderful too! It's a little bit loud but not overbearing. Reminded us all of a real New York restaurant which we all love. Our waiter was terrific and I think Pete's is an outstanding choice for a downtown LA restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was okay, butFirsttimerDined on 4/11/2014The service was okay, but other than that everything was comfortable, relaxing and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lot of Fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2014This restaurant is wonderful!! Our food was delicious and our cocktails were above expectations!! Our server, Tom, was funny and very helpful. My friends and I will definitely go back to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meeting friendsMacheteDined on 4/9/2014Very cool place to hang out downtown without being in a huge scene. Low key and easy to talk with friends. We have 2 little kids and they enjoyed it too even though we were sitting next to the bar. IF you are trying to eat healthy, not a great place b/c too much temptation. I have never had anything like the Chipotle Fries - worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What can I say, I LOVE Pete's!PSmithVIPDined on 4/6/2014What can I say, I LOVE Pete's! From the very beginning, they have kept quality, food presentation and taste is always wonderful, and the staff continues to be of the highest quality! I had a succulent steak and my friend had the Vegetable Potpie. Always a pleasure!Special Features:
- I frequently attend concertsxRPxDined on 4/2/2014I frequently attend concerts at the Orpheum Theatre, and I'm always looking for pre-show dining venues. This is the second time I've tried Pete's, and I assure you, it's the last. We were seated towards the back of the restaurant, which is fine...except that there was a very loud business event back there, with only a flimsy folding screen separating them from the rest of us. The service we received was abysmal. We waited 5-10 minutes for a server to take a drink order. My son's coke came out right away..and then I waited another 5-10 minutes for my beer to arrive. The food at Pete's is decent; nothing more. Certainly, nothing to justify enduring the crummy service.
- Business LunchPasadenaPensionDined on 3/24/2014First time at Pete's and pleasantly surprised. Very nice folks and a menu with variety. A business associate recommended the grilled cheese and tomato soup. Although I usually avoid grilled food, and I was really glad Pete's delivered on the simple fare with style. Felt like I was a kid again sitting in my grandma's kitchen. Nice job Pete!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Pete's is sometimes greatFineFareDined on 3/23/2014Pete's serves classic American bistro fare. I've been there many times, primarily for dinner. Salads, burgers, regular entrees, the wine list are all terrific. Recently went to their Sunday brunch though, and was less than impressed. Perhaps they don't staff it as well as the dinner shift; Our server was less than attentive & we practically had to beg her to pay attention to us. Nevertheless, that's not normally the problem at night, so I would still highly recommend this place. Perhaps skip it for brunch, though..Special Features:
- Still good after ten years...26CJDined on 3/22/2014I first came to Pete's right after they opened for a private tasting for my work. I've been eating there randomly over the years. They were one of the first restaurants to come into this area before it really changed for the better. The food has always been amazing. I will admit that I went there on a date Sat. and it was really loud - but that's not a bad thing. The chicken pot pie was amazing! I wanted to lick the bowl - but didn't! LOL. The bartender could have been more friendly and greeted me. Even though he was busy - I waited several minutes before being asked what I wanted to drink - which was fine - but I never felt he noticed me for the longest time. A friendly, "I'll be right with you..." would have been helpful. I'll be back.Special Features:
- It's a family reunionMeishaDined on 3/22/2014I had a sisterhood brunch at Pete's. Me as well as everyone else had never been there before. The food was amazing!!! I never had purple potatoes before. We stayed for 2hrs just catching up on good times. Park in one of the lots because the meters are $5/hrSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed and EmbarrassedRonie67Dined on 3/8/2014I had made a reservation for 3 people because I knew this place would be packed on a Saturday night. We were celebrating my best friends birthday and wanted to try this place for a while. Reservation was for 9:30pm arrived at 9:20pm. Hostess first of all couldn't find my reservation then when she did she said they had to "go look and see if she could find a table for us". She came back a few minutes later to say she "might have a table in about 20 min" I thought purpose of a reservation was to have a table. She asked if we wanted to wait. What?? They didn't even apologize. I said no thank you and left. Hostess looked relieved we were leaving. Won't ever go back there.
- Fun Night OutScottDined on 3/8/2014We have not been downtown for dinner in years. I was surprised at how much activity there was on the streets and in the restaurants. It was not quite NY on a Saturday, but the energy downtown has increased a lot in the past few years. Pete's Cafe & Bar captured some of that energy with a lot of large groups celebrating a variety of events. I would not recommend for an intimate dinner, but it was a great place to hang out, eat, drink & chat for several hours. We ordered appetizers and main course. The food was good, not over the top amazing but, we were very satisfied. The prices were reasonable and the setting made you feel like you were in another city altogether. I would go back even to just have some snacks & a beer at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, relaxing atmosphereAGJMontrealDined on 3/7/2014Great spot downtown--excellent food, prepared with care, and some nice cocktails. Noise level reasonable (the music could be turned down a bit). OK for kids but also for hipsters. Altogether a good bet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun and casualpeggyDined on 3/3/2014in the heart of downtown, it was nice to find a good meeting place that was lively but not too hipster! maybe Monday nights are just like that here. food was good, lively atmosphere and friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.