Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
1557 Sherman Ave
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.petemillers.com/
- Phone: 8473280399x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Kitchen Hours Subject to Change
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Mooney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private space for 2-150 guests. The perfect venue for rehearsal dinners, awards banquets, birthdays, graduations, and any special event! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, and for bookings.
- Private Party Contact: Christi Land 8473280399x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every night of the week.
Mondays - Thursdays: 6:00PM - 10:00PM
Fridays-Saturdays: 8:00PM - 12:00AM
Sundays: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
A word from Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
Located in downtown Evanston, the original Pete Miller's was founded in 1994 as a tribute to the late Harold "Pete" Miller. The restaurant celebrates his favorite things; swingin' jazz, a good honest drink & a great steak. Join us for dinner and experience what Pete's has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (32)good for groups (27)notable wine list (26)fit for foodies (23)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpaOpaDined on 9/28/2014Food was great, service was good , however we were there with 3 of our grandchildren & the music was so loud we had a difficult time having a conversation.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014Been here a few times. The food is consistently a cut above. Especially the steak filet (medium rare). Crab legs are always good too. Live jazz, which is really nice, in a recessed stage corner at the front where the volume is not intrusive the mark of a well designed floor plan.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/22/2014We especially enjoyed the excellent live jazz piano player, Lisa McQueen. What a tremendous talent!Special Features:
- Don32Dined on 9/21/2014I treated my 15 and 16 year grandsons for filet steaks which were excellent by all three 0f us. They really enjoyed the music which was pleasant but. Not distracting. Calamari was tender and crispy. Death by Chocolate was good, but the scoop of ice cream woy too small. Overall we had a very good time and will come back again sometime.HappySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestWestsiderDined on 9/20/2014First, Pete Miller's has great cuisine. The steaks are the best I've had. They also have great service. Their reservations are reliable, your table will be ready. This is so good you could make it a regular stop, but at minimum, try it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale, friendly, yummyCatsMomDined on 9/19/2014our second visit was as yummy as our first. steaks are amazing. staff friendly and helpful. desserts are generous. sat in back room that was cozy and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE best dinner and musicOLHEDined on 9/19/2014We have been going to Pete's for 8 years and it has always been the BEST. We are snow birds and go to dinner ASAP when we arrive for the season. We prefer a jazz trio or quartet for our music which is usually on the weekends. Our friends say Pete's has the best steak they have had and we agree completely agree. We have had a fantastic fish dinner when we just were not in the mood for meat and when we were not real hungry they split an entree for us. What's crazy is they have a really good and large hamburger. If you can eat it all and think you can still eat ---pair it up with a loaded baked potato. For that matter all of the sides are really good. Don't forget to get a martini when you sit down- ahSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014I ordered a Bone In Ribeye steak medium rare and it came out very dry and overcooked. It took a long time to get our entrees because the waiter said that there was a big party before us going out so I think my steak sat for a long time before it came to my table. The bearnaise sauce that was an extra tasted like it was made from a dry mix and not from scratch. For a $45 steak, I would expect a lot more from Pete Millers. We have been here many times before and I have ordered the Ribeye steak before and it was good. I would have complained to the waiter but because it took so long for our food to come out and we had my daughters boy friend with us, I did not want to make a big scene. I don't think we will be going back to Pete Millers.Special Features:
- Excellent dining an ambienceDeboraDined on 9/14/2014This is a wonderful place to meet with friends or as a duo. It is easy to have a conversation while dining on a delicious meal, with excellent live music in the background. Kudos!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerYummy16Dined on 9/13/2014One of the best steaks I have ever had. I didn't think I would like the jazz, but it wasn't too loud and was really actually enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great ServiceCatsMomDined on 9/6/2014Steak was excellent! Restaurant was a bit crowded, but the wait staff was friendly and accommodating when two ladies in our party asked to share a steak dinner. He offered to divide the meal and served it on two plates for us, which we greatly appreciated. The bread is to-die-for! Ate too much prior to the meal to have room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz-lovers' HavenSCHMJDined on 9/6/2014I have frequented Pete Miller's in Evanston for a number of years and invariably find myself entertaining friends here anytime I am in the Chicago area. Never have I been disappointed by the food selection and preparation. This evening was no exception. I was celebrating my own 61st birthday this visit and had my closest friends present. We were afforded very good service, excellent drinks, and once again, a talented group of jazz musicians to enjoy. Our server Aida was most pleasant and attentive. The bartenders make generous pours and are quite affable. Our hostess Laura remembers just where we like to sit (near the entertainment) and was prepared to seat us promptly. Use the Valet Parking as street parking is hard to come by (worth it!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open TableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Open Table told us that there were no reservations available at 6:00PM so we reluctantly made a reservation for 5:30. Because of traffic we arrived at 6:00 where we found an almost empty restaurant and had no trouble getting seated. Open Table was a nuisance and wrong.Special Features:
- LoyolaParentsDined on 8/30/2014Attended Northwestern Football game and dined here after the game. Just a short walk from Davis Red Line stop. Service was very friendly and attentive. Nice ambiance, with reasonable noise level. Wanted to stay for jazz music, but was too tired from game, so we ate and left. Ordered prime rib and filet, both prepared to our liking. Quality of food was excellent, as good or better than anything we would get downtown, at a slightly lower price level. Our daughter goes to Loyola, so if we need a nice steak / seafood meal next time we are in town for a visit, it's nice to know we have a high quality restaurant option in Evanston if we don't feel like travelling downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodFattieDined on 8/29/2014The fliet was too fatty for my liking. If I'm paying $45+ for a steak I expect it to be good quality.Special Features:
- Great Food & MusicdasreviewDined on 8/22/2014The evening spent here was a highlight of our trip to the Chicago area. It was a birthday celebration that provided great food, superb service from Vladimir and an incredible evening of music by the Rhythm Rockets.Special Features:
- Great time!MediumRareDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the food, music, and service. I went in with high expectations, and those were still easily exceeded. As an avid diner in Chicago's River North area, I decided to go for a change of scenery this past weekend, and I was very impressed to find an even better experience in the North Suburbs. Your Yelp and Zagat ratings do not do you justice, unfortunately. Excellent dining! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A litle disappointingPickyeaterDined on 8/9/2014Service was great, the waiter was very attentive, and we were not rushed during our stay. But when one of our party attempted to order the Prime Rib our waiter suggested they order something else. I was very appreciative that we were warned away from a bad meal, but disappointed that a Steak/seafood restaurant could not have prepared a Prime Rib properly. This made us also shy away from the steak as well. 4 of our group ordered the BBQ Ribs which were very good.Special Features:
- GREAT FREINDS/at a GREAT PLACEJSpivVIPDined on 8/8/2014Just a fab place...Great Food, awesome aged steaks, the pork chop was "off the charts" and the only thing better than the food was the service.... GREAT JOB !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealSweetpea2VIPDined on 8/1/2014Great old school classic meal! One of best Caesar salads everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningLovethemusicDined on 8/1/2014We were looking for a place to celebrate our anniversary. Pete Miller's had everything for which we were looking--great food, ambience, and wonderful music. We were not rushed at all so we could enjoy our meal leisurely while enjoying a fantastic show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyable experience.Here2enjoyDined on 8/1/2014The 7 ounce filet I enjoyed and the planked grilled salmon the other two in our party enjoyed made for a most pleasant meal. To me the steak ranked up there with the best I've had at other renowned steak houses. The atmosphere with the small jazz trio was relaxed and pleasant. Overall an unexpected gem in the midst of Evanston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2014Always have great meals at Pete Miller's. Service is great for the most part. Occasional slow waiter/waitress but majority of the time you're in great hands. Food is always excellent. Not a bad choice on the menuSpecial Features:
- Great old school joint.StLouisLouisDined on 7/26/2014For prime steaks and great seafood it doesn't get much better than Pete Miller'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than Just a Steakhouse!suburbanfoodieDined on 7/19/2014On our last few visits, we have enjoyed the delicious fish and fresh seafood selections. Started off with the scallop appetizer: huge, tender scallops wrapped in bacon and drizzled with an apple-whiskey glaze that was out of this world! Two of us tried the whole Maine lobster special and it was outstanding! The crustacean was perfectly prepared ~ succulent and flavorful with a simple garnish of lemon wedges and drawn butter to accompany it. Here, the lobster was the star! The jail island salmon was prepared to order, beautifully grilled on a cedar plank, but without the glaze. It was perfect with a side of steamed broccoli. The waitstaff is always friendly and polished, and our waiter was attentive and really seemed to enjoy his job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, not greatRupertDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant was loud with a lot of boisterous kids near us. My filet was fine. I got garlic broccoli on the side rather than the usual potato - the garlic tasted like it was from a jar, and it was coated in maybe an oil, butter mix that did not taste good. I am used to using cold-pressed olive oil and good butter, and this had a rather off flavor to it. For $4.00 we got a jumbo shrimp cocktail with one shrimp (we misunderstood what he said, but should have figured that out!) - it was huge and tasty. My son got a pork dish with blue cheese and apples that he enjoyed. He also enjoyed his calamari. My impression was that this was an old-school supper club type of place. So if that is what you like, you will probably like this.Special Features:
- Good and Not So GoodStevenDined on 7/18/2014We were excited to celebrate an occasion at a fine dining restaurant, we didn't get the overall "wow" that was in the reviews. Parts of our dinner were very good and other menu items were just "ok". We had the escargot, which was good, but not outstanding. My NY Strip was a little tough, but for the prices it should of been a lot more tender. The Beef Wellington was average, but small portions. The garlic potatoes were tasteful. The service made up for the small faults but I doubt we will return as there are too many restaurants in this big City to explore then return to Pete Miller's for an average meal.Special Features:
- BAND, TOO LOUD!!Edna09VIPDined on 7/12/2014The band was fine, but you need to tone down the volume. We couldn't hear each other and needed to scream/wait for the band to stop playing. Read the past reviews - they're saying the same thing - listen to your customers. The food was good, but if the ambience is poor, then we'll think twice before coming back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Fest - a must in Evanston!BMaldonadoDined on 7/3/2014We checked out Lobster Fest at Pete Miller's this past weekend and were wowed. The lobsters were gigantic and cooked to perfection. The service, as always, was impeccable - a 5 star dining experience all around. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent Food But Too Much MusicOldDinerDined on 6/15/2014Filet mignon and salmon were excellent. The jazz orchestra, especially the singing, was obtrusive on Fathers Day. We had poor wait service that seemed unrelated to the holiday crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- COSIPODined on 6/15/2014We made reservations for Father's Day a week in advance. We arrived and the hostess offered us two tables which were located in the bar area with high chairs or a table near the stage. These two options were terrible as we had a young child and my mother. Then, we were informed we needed to wait an additional 20 min. Then, we were surprisingly seated within 5 minutes at a very nice booth. We asked to speak to the manager who was the rudest man I have ever had to deal with in my life. He tried to intimidate me by leaning his body across the table and speaking in a rather rude and loud voice. My son was physically scared and leaned on my shoulder for comfort. I would never recommend Pete Miller's again to any of friends.
- A classic place for steakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014We love this place and usually visit 2-3 times each year. My boys always love to choose a delicious steak but are often tempted by seafood specials that they didn't expect.Special Features:
- Father's Day isn't the day...ChuckWVIPDined on 6/15/2014I've been to Pete Miller's a dozen times -- keep going back because we usually have a lovely time. But the staff was off its game on the evening of Father's day. Specifically requested a quiet table -- and got seated next to a family of seven with three kids 3 or younger who screamed through the whole meal. The service was slow and inattentive - and after being told that there would be no corkage fee, a $50 corkage fee appeared on the bill. The salads and steaks were up to their usual wonderfulness - the skirt steak with chimichurri sauce was perfectly cooked, but the creamed spinach was sad -- not creamy at all -- and the red potatoes I had as a side were dry and seemed like they were leftovers from lunch.Special Features:
- Family Get-TogetherMAC1Dined on 6/14/2014Food was great. Lively with band and energetic diners. Service was outstanding!
- Great Choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2014Even though this a the place for steak...I ordered fish and it was among the best fish I have ever eaten. Service was superb. We were not rushed. It was conversation friendly....even while the music was playing!
- KandBDined on 6/14/2014Wait staff was knowledgable about wine and menu items. Steak was done to perfection and was juicy and flavorful. Grouper and sweet potato fries were wonderful. And spinach salad was loaded with goodies and filling. Having wine flights enhanced entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Friendly StaffMRA7Dined on 6/11/2014The service was wonderful, my filet mignon was cooked perfectly and it was very high quality meet. ALSO, ALL DESSERTS ARE MADE IN HOUSE DAILY -- not pre-made! Rare to find in restaurants these days. Pete Millers was a great experience overall and the menu definitely has something to please everybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School SteakhouseHungryDadDined on 6/10/2014The atmosphere is red leather couch steakhouses of old. We order a filet, bone in ribeye and NY strip as well as the lobster macaroni. We all loved our dishes. The garlic mashed are full of garlic and a great compliment. All steaks tasted phenomenal. We all ordered medium, and they actually came that way. Pink in the middle, not red. Our waiter Derek was attentive and not overbearing. For the kids order the ice cream sundae. It comes in the size of a fishbowl practically. Great time. Expect to pay steakhouse prices.Special Features:
- Avoid at all costs!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/7/2014The most poorly managed restaurant I've been in over the last 25 years. Hostess was directing people to the "Billiard Room," which had 40-60 people in it. The only person servicing the room was the bartender! I don't know who manages the hostess station and the server schedules, but whoever it is is incompetent.
- MealmamaDined on 6/5/2014The food is very good. I am not a steak eater but the salmon was excellent and so were the sides. The staff is friendly and service good. Personally, it's a bit too dark for me and the band was too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1009 reviews are from the Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston reviews archive.