Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
1557 Sherman Ave
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.petemillers.com/
- Phone: 8473280399x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Kitchen Hours Subject to Change
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Mooney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private space for 2-150 guests. The perfect venue for rehearsal dinners, awards banquets, birthdays, graduations, and any special event! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, and for bookings.
- Private Party Contact: Christi Land 8473280399x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every night of the week.
Mondays - Thursdays: 6:00PM - 10:00PM
Fridays-Saturdays: 8:00PM - 12:00AM
Sundays: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
A word from Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
Located in downtown Evanston, the original Pete Miller's was founded in 1994 as a tribute to the late Harold "Pete" Miller. The restaurant celebrates his favorite things; swingin' jazz, a good honest drink & a great steak. Join us for dinner and experience what Pete's has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)neighborhood gem (36)romantic (33)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (30)notable wine list (27)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (13)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- EVANSTON IL SEA & STEAKvegascaseyDined on 10/19/2014Pete Miller's came highly recommended, but did not live up to expectations. Service was very good; food was fair only. The ribs were overdone (almost burned) and the accompaniments were average. A lounge singer and piano was much too loud, making conversation difficult.Special Features:
- Decent, service could be better.NA11VIPDined on 10/18/2014The server was slow. He never asked us if we wanted any drink refills, and he took forever to check on us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- doctorjayDrJanniversarydinnerDined on 10/18/2014We dine at Pete Miller's Evanston regularly. The ambience and jazz, combined with the good food and above average service keeps us coming back. It truly is a neighborhood gem. . . convenient, good menu selections, no city parking prices and jazz!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time had a fantastic mealdining50sDined on 10/18/2014another couple and we had our first meal at Pete Millers. Started off with the shrimp cocktail and stuffed mushrooms. Both were excellent and had great taste. Moved onto the steaks, had the 20oz ribeye, it was outstanding, great texture and taste, perfectly done. Also had a chopped salad and seared Ahi tuna. They were excellent as well. Very good preperation. The desserts, cheesecake and bananas foster were good, but nothing like the appetizers and main meal. will definitely be going here again. Service was attentive and we never needed to ask for water, iced tea, plates, or silverware.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a fun atmosphereyouraveragedinerDined on 10/17/2014Pete Miller's is a great, old-school type steak house with old-school character but with a fun, inviting atmosphere and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 10/13/2014Monday night pianist was way too LOUD! No price on the shrimp cocktail, at least mark it market price New menu more limiting, less interesting, no skirt steak
- Best steak!chicagodineVIPDined on 10/10/2014I live in Chicago which is "steak town," but will drive up to Evanston for Pete Miller''s. The Filet trio is terrific. Good accompaniments, great service, wonderful live jazz. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience.iamlorDined on 10/3/2014I went there for my birthday with my family and it was a great experience. Great food, lively atmosphere with live music, and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Evanston locationpurylDined on 10/3/2014Very nice ambience and location. Food is good, a bit pricey. My first two wine selections were not available; I had to make a third election.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful service!!:(ABdiningoutVIPDined on 10/3/2014We were in a huge hurry. Called in advance to place our order & the guy in front -Avi had NO CLUE what was going on!:(made reserv 2 wks prior & VERY dissapointed. Spent over $300& then waitress forgot to add on mushrooms so had to do bill all over:( Our asparagus was undercooked, ordered pineapple juice like always-had no straw/1/2 way filled..terribly dissapointed as gave us wrong filets, but because being in a hurry...just dealt with. Soo..dissapointed! Been many times-live pretty close. Even bring friend, colleagues, but don't know if will be coming again. Really would've expected a MUCH better experience...especially if planned in advance & should've been taken care of properly. Embarrassed& treated poorly..think mgr was embarrassed by
- abitpickyDined on 10/3/2014Service is seemingly never very good. Were it not convenient, I doubt I'd ever go.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014food was just average and in a largely empty restaurant at 6:00 they seated a family with young kids who were very noisy right next to us??
- OpaOpaDined on 9/28/2014Food was great, service was good , however we were there with 3 of our grandchildren & the music was so loud we had a difficult time having a conversation.
- Always a Winner but . . .kshillingDined on 9/27/2014We love Pete Miller's - the setting is special, the service fantastic, the steaks are great. I hate to say anything negative at all about this place but I really wish they would learn how to cook vegetables. On our last visit, I ordered the brussel sprouts with my steak and they were nearly raw. I know that a lot of people think this is the way to cook vegetables, but it's just so wrong. It's a holdover from the eighties that should have died. If I want to eat crudite, that would be one thing but I ordered a cooked hot vegetable. I couldn't even eat them. I was really disappointed. But everything else was top notch.
- Great mealLoveFoodAndWineVIPDined on 9/27/2014My husband and 20+ son love this place. Excellent steak. The shrimp was cooked in butter and was absolutely perfect in texture and tasted like lobster. Rich but a delicious treat. Bread is awesome. Water glasses filled like clockwork. Friendly service. The roasted potatoes were tasty but salty, even for me - and I like salt an awful lot. The portions are huge, split a salad! Live music is fabulous, however, it is hard to have a table conversation in this place. We were seated next to the bar and the "stage" so that didn't help. I would have thought given that this was the third or fourth visit in the past couple of years we would have had better seating.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014Been here a few times. The food is consistently a cut above. Especially the steak filet (medium rare). Crab legs are always good too. Live jazz, which is really nice, in a recessed stage corner at the front where the volume is not intrusive the mark of a well designed floor plan.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/22/2014We especially enjoyed the excellent live jazz piano player, Lisa McQueen. What a tremendous talent!Special Features:
- Don32Dined on 9/21/2014I treated my 15 and 16 year grandsons for filet steaks which were excellent by all three 0f us. They really enjoyed the music which was pleasant but. Not distracting. Calamari was tender and crispy. Death by Chocolate was good, but the scoop of ice cream woy too small. Overall we had a very good time and will come back again sometime.HappySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestWestsiderDined on 9/20/2014First, Pete Miller's has great cuisine. The steaks are the best I've had. They also have great service. Their reservations are reliable, your table will be ready. This is so good you could make it a regular stop, but at minimum, try it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale, friendly, yummyCatsMomDined on 9/19/2014our second visit was as yummy as our first. steaks are amazing. staff friendly and helpful. desserts are generous. sat in back room that was cozy and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE best dinner and musicOLHEDined on 9/19/2014We have been going to Pete's for 8 years and it has always been the BEST. We are snow birds and go to dinner ASAP when we arrive for the season. We prefer a jazz trio or quartet for our music which is usually on the weekends. Our friends say Pete's has the best steak they have had and we agree completely agree. We have had a fantastic fish dinner when we just were not in the mood for meat and when we were not real hungry they split an entree for us. What's crazy is they have a really good and large hamburger. If you can eat it all and think you can still eat ---pair it up with a loaded baked potato. For that matter all of the sides are really good. Don't forget to get a martini when you sit down- ahSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014I ordered a Bone In Ribeye steak medium rare and it came out very dry and overcooked. It took a long time to get our entrees because the waiter said that there was a big party before us going out so I think my steak sat for a long time before it came to my table. The bearnaise sauce that was an extra tasted like it was made from a dry mix and not from scratch. For a $45 steak, I would expect a lot more from Pete Millers. We have been here many times before and I have ordered the Ribeye steak before and it was good. I would have complained to the waiter but because it took so long for our food to come out and we had my daughters boy friend with us, I did not want to make a big scene. I don't think we will be going back to Pete Millers.Special Features:
- Excellent dining an ambienceDeboraDined on 9/14/2014This is a wonderful place to meet with friends or as a duo. It is easy to have a conversation while dining on a delicious meal, with excellent live music in the background. Kudos!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerYummy16Dined on 9/13/2014One of the best steaks I have ever had. I didn't think I would like the jazz, but it wasn't too loud and was really actually enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great ServiceCatsMomDined on 9/6/2014Steak was excellent! Restaurant was a bit crowded, but the wait staff was friendly and accommodating when two ladies in our party asked to share a steak dinner. He offered to divide the meal and served it on two plates for us, which we greatly appreciated. The bread is to-die-for! Ate too much prior to the meal to have room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz-lovers' HavenSCHMJDined on 9/6/2014I have frequented Pete Miller's in Evanston for a number of years and invariably find myself entertaining friends here anytime I am in the Chicago area. Never have I been disappointed by the food selection and preparation. This evening was no exception. I was celebrating my own 61st birthday this visit and had my closest friends present. We were afforded very good service, excellent drinks, and once again, a talented group of jazz musicians to enjoy. Our server Aida was most pleasant and attentive. The bartenders make generous pours and are quite affable. Our hostess Laura remembers just where we like to sit (near the entertainment) and was prepared to seat us promptly. Use the Valet Parking as street parking is hard to come by (worth it!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open TableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Open Table told us that there were no reservations available at 6:00PM so we reluctantly made a reservation for 5:30. Because of traffic we arrived at 6:00 where we found an almost empty restaurant and had no trouble getting seated. Open Table was a nuisance and wrong.Special Features:
- LoyolaParentsDined on 8/30/2014Attended Northwestern Football game and dined here after the game. Just a short walk from Davis Red Line stop. Service was very friendly and attentive. Nice ambiance, with reasonable noise level. Wanted to stay for jazz music, but was too tired from game, so we ate and left. Ordered prime rib and filet, both prepared to our liking. Quality of food was excellent, as good or better than anything we would get downtown, at a slightly lower price level. Our daughter goes to Loyola, so if we need a nice steak / seafood meal next time we are in town for a visit, it's nice to know we have a high quality restaurant option in Evanston if we don't feel like travelling downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodFattieDined on 8/29/2014The fliet was too fatty for my liking. If I'm paying $45+ for a steak I expect it to be good quality.Special Features:
- Great Food & MusicdasreviewDined on 8/22/2014The evening spent here was a highlight of our trip to the Chicago area. It was a birthday celebration that provided great food, superb service from Vladimir and an incredible evening of music by the Rhythm Rockets.Special Features:
- Great time!MediumRareDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the food, music, and service. I went in with high expectations, and those were still easily exceeded. As an avid diner in Chicago's River North area, I decided to go for a change of scenery this past weekend, and I was very impressed to find an even better experience in the North Suburbs. Your Yelp and Zagat ratings do not do you justice, unfortunately. Excellent dining! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A litle disappointingPickyeaterDined on 8/9/2014Service was great, the waiter was very attentive, and we were not rushed during our stay. But when one of our party attempted to order the Prime Rib our waiter suggested they order something else. I was very appreciative that we were warned away from a bad meal, but disappointed that a Steak/seafood restaurant could not have prepared a Prime Rib properly. This made us also shy away from the steak as well. 4 of our group ordered the BBQ Ribs which were very good.Special Features:
- GREAT FREINDS/at a GREAT PLACEJSpivVIPDined on 8/8/2014Just a fab place...Great Food, awesome aged steaks, the pork chop was "off the charts" and the only thing better than the food was the service.... GREAT JOB !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealSweetpea2VIPDined on 8/1/2014Great old school classic meal! One of best Caesar salads everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningLovethemusicDined on 8/1/2014We were looking for a place to celebrate our anniversary. Pete Miller's had everything for which we were looking--great food, ambience, and wonderful music. We were not rushed at all so we could enjoy our meal leisurely while enjoying a fantastic show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyable experience.Here2enjoyDined on 8/1/2014The 7 ounce filet I enjoyed and the planked grilled salmon the other two in our party enjoyed made for a most pleasant meal. To me the steak ranked up there with the best I've had at other renowned steak houses. The atmosphere with the small jazz trio was relaxed and pleasant. Overall an unexpected gem in the midst of Evanston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2014Always have great meals at Pete Miller's. Service is great for the most part. Occasional slow waiter/waitress but majority of the time you're in great hands. Food is always excellent. Not a bad choice on the menuSpecial Features:
- Great old school joint.StLouisLouisDined on 7/26/2014For prime steaks and great seafood it doesn't get much better than Pete Miller'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than Just a Steakhouse!suburbanfoodieDined on 7/19/2014On our last few visits, we have enjoyed the delicious fish and fresh seafood selections. Started off with the scallop appetizer: huge, tender scallops wrapped in bacon and drizzled with an apple-whiskey glaze that was out of this world! Two of us tried the whole Maine lobster special and it was outstanding! The crustacean was perfectly prepared ~ succulent and flavorful with a simple garnish of lemon wedges and drawn butter to accompany it. Here, the lobster was the star! The jail island salmon was prepared to order, beautifully grilled on a cedar plank, but without the glaze. It was perfect with a side of steamed broccoli. The waitstaff is always friendly and polished, and our waiter was attentive and really seemed to enjoy his job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, not greatRupertDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant was loud with a lot of boisterous kids near us. My filet was fine. I got garlic broccoli on the side rather than the usual potato - the garlic tasted like it was from a jar, and it was coated in maybe an oil, butter mix that did not taste good. I am used to using cold-pressed olive oil and good butter, and this had a rather off flavor to it. For $4.00 we got a jumbo shrimp cocktail with one shrimp (we misunderstood what he said, but should have figured that out!) - it was huge and tasty. My son got a pork dish with blue cheese and apples that he enjoyed. He also enjoyed his calamari. My impression was that this was an old-school supper club type of place. So if that is what you like, you will probably like this.Special Features: