Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
1557 Sherman Ave
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.petemillers.com/
- Phone: 8473280399x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Kitchen Hours Subject to Change
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Mooney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private space for 2-150 guests. The perfect venue for rehearsal dinners, awards banquets, birthdays, graduations, and any special event! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, and for bookings.
- Private Party Contact: Christi Land 8473280399x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every night of the week.
Mondays - Thursdays: 6:00PM - 10:00PM
Fridays-Saturdays: 8:00PM - 12:00AM
Sundays: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
A word from Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
Located in downtown Evanston, the original Pete Miller's was founded in 1994 as a tribute to the late Harold "Pete" Miller. The restaurant celebrates his favorite things; swingin' jazz, a good honest drink & a great steak. Join us for dinner and experience what Pete's has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (54)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (31)notable wine list (27)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (19)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (10)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (7)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Attended Northwestern Football game and dined here after the game. Just a short walk from Davis Red Line stop. Service was very friendly and attentive. Nice ambiance, with reasonable noise level. Wanted to stay for jazz music, but was too tired from game, so we ate and left. Ordered prime rib and filet, both prepared to our liking. Quality of food was excellent, as good or better than anything we would get downtown, at a slightly lower price level. Our daughter goes to Loyola, so if we need a nice steak / seafood meal next time we are in town for a visit, it's nice to know we have a high quality restaurant option in Evanston if we don't feel like travelling downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodFattieDined on 8/29/2014The fliet was too fatty for my liking. If I'm paying $45+ for a steak I expect it to be good quality.Special Features:
- Great Food & MusicdasreviewDined on 8/22/2014The evening spent here was a highlight of our trip to the Chicago area. It was a birthday celebration that provided great food, superb service from Vladimir and an incredible evening of music by the Rhythm Rockets.Special Features:
- Great time!MediumRareDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the food, music, and service. I went in with high expectations, and those were still easily exceeded. As an avid diner in Chicago's River North area, I decided to go for a change of scenery this past weekend, and I was very impressed to find an even better experience in the North Suburbs. Your Yelp and Zagat ratings do not do you justice, unfortunately. Excellent dining! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A litle disappointingPickyeaterDined on 8/9/2014Service was great, the waiter was very attentive, and we were not rushed during our stay. But when one of our party attempted to order the Prime Rib our waiter suggested they order something else. I was very appreciative that we were warned away from a bad meal, but disappointed that a Steak/seafood restaurant could not have prepared a Prime Rib properly. This made us also shy away from the steak as well. 4 of our group ordered the BBQ Ribs which were very good.Special Features:
- GREAT FREINDS/at a GREAT PLACEJSpivVIPDined on 8/8/2014Just a fab place...Great Food, awesome aged steaks, the pork chop was "off the charts" and the only thing better than the food was the service.... GREAT JOB !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealSweetpea2VIPDined on 8/1/2014Great old school classic meal! One of best Caesar salads everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningLovethemusicDined on 8/1/2014We were looking for a place to celebrate our anniversary. Pete Miller's had everything for which we were looking--great food, ambience, and wonderful music. We were not rushed at all so we could enjoy our meal leisurely while enjoying a fantastic show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyable experience.Here2enjoyDined on 8/1/2014The 7 ounce filet I enjoyed and the planked grilled salmon the other two in our party enjoyed made for a most pleasant meal. To me the steak ranked up there with the best I've had at other renowned steak houses. The atmosphere with the small jazz trio was relaxed and pleasant. Overall an unexpected gem in the midst of Evanston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2014Always have great meals at Pete Miller's. Service is great for the most part. Occasional slow waiter/waitress but majority of the time you're in great hands. Food is always excellent. Not a bad choice on the menuSpecial Features:
- Great old school joint.StLouisLouisDined on 7/26/2014For prime steaks and great seafood it doesn't get much better than Pete Miller'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than Just a Steakhouse!suburbanfoodieDined on 7/19/2014On our last few visits, we have enjoyed the delicious fish and fresh seafood selections. Started off with the scallop appetizer: huge, tender scallops wrapped in bacon and drizzled with an apple-whiskey glaze that was out of this world! Two of us tried the whole Maine lobster special and it was outstanding! The crustacean was perfectly prepared ~ succulent and flavorful with a simple garnish of lemon wedges and drawn butter to accompany it. Here, the lobster was the star! The jail island salmon was prepared to order, beautifully grilled on a cedar plank, but without the glaze. It was perfect with a side of steamed broccoli. The waitstaff is always friendly and polished, and our waiter was attentive and really seemed to enjoy his job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, not greatRupertDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant was loud with a lot of boisterous kids near us. My filet was fine. I got garlic broccoli on the side rather than the usual potato - the garlic tasted like it was from a jar, and it was coated in maybe an oil, butter mix that did not taste good. I am used to using cold-pressed olive oil and good butter, and this had a rather off flavor to it. For $4.00 we got a jumbo shrimp cocktail with one shrimp (we misunderstood what he said, but should have figured that out!) - it was huge and tasty. My son got a pork dish with blue cheese and apples that he enjoyed. He also enjoyed his calamari. My impression was that this was an old-school supper club type of place. So if that is what you like, you will probably like this.Special Features:
- Good and Not So GoodStevenDined on 7/18/2014We were excited to celebrate an occasion at a fine dining restaurant, we didn't get the overall "wow" that was in the reviews. Parts of our dinner were very good and other menu items were just "ok". We had the escargot, which was good, but not outstanding. My NY Strip was a little tough, but for the prices it should of been a lot more tender. The Beef Wellington was average, but small portions. The garlic potatoes were tasteful. The service made up for the small faults but I doubt we will return as there are too many restaurants in this big City to explore then return to Pete Miller's for an average meal.Special Features:
- BAND, TOO LOUD!!Edna09VIPDined on 7/12/2014The band was fine, but you need to tone down the volume. We couldn't hear each other and needed to scream/wait for the band to stop playing. Read the past reviews - they're saying the same thing - listen to your customers. The food was good, but if the ambience is poor, then we'll think twice before coming back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Fest - a must in Evanston!BMaldonadoDined on 7/3/2014We checked out Lobster Fest at Pete Miller's this past weekend and were wowed. The lobsters were gigantic and cooked to perfection. The service, as always, was impeccable - a 5 star dining experience all around. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent Food But Too Much MusicOldDinerDined on 6/15/2014Filet mignon and salmon were excellent. The jazz orchestra, especially the singing, was obtrusive on Fathers Day. We had poor wait service that seemed unrelated to the holiday crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- COSIPODined on 6/15/2014We made reservations for Father's Day a week in advance. We arrived and the hostess offered us two tables which were located in the bar area with high chairs or a table near the stage. These two options were terrible as we had a young child and my mother. Then, we were informed we needed to wait an additional 20 min. Then, we were surprisingly seated within 5 minutes at a very nice booth. We asked to speak to the manager who was the rudest man I have ever had to deal with in my life. He tried to intimidate me by leaning his body across the table and speaking in a rather rude and loud voice. My son was physically scared and leaned on my shoulder for comfort. I would never recommend Pete Miller's again to any of friends.
- A classic place for steakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014We love this place and usually visit 2-3 times each year. My boys always love to choose a delicious steak but are often tempted by seafood specials that they didn't expect.Special Features:
- Father's Day isn't the day...ChuckWVIPDined on 6/15/2014I've been to Pete Miller's a dozen times -- keep going back because we usually have a lovely time. But the staff was off its game on the evening of Father's day. Specifically requested a quiet table -- and got seated next to a family of seven with three kids 3 or younger who screamed through the whole meal. The service was slow and inattentive - and after being told that there would be no corkage fee, a $50 corkage fee appeared on the bill. The salads and steaks were up to their usual wonderfulness - the skirt steak with chimichurri sauce was perfectly cooked, but the creamed spinach was sad -- not creamy at all -- and the red potatoes I had as a side were dry and seemed like they were leftovers from lunch.Special Features:
- Family Get-TogetherMAC1Dined on 6/14/2014Food was great. Lively with band and energetic diners. Service was outstanding!
- Great Choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2014Even though this a the place for steak...I ordered fish and it was among the best fish I have ever eaten. Service was superb. We were not rushed. It was conversation friendly....even while the music was playing!
- KandBDined on 6/14/2014Wait staff was knowledgable about wine and menu items. Steak was done to perfection and was juicy and flavorful. Grouper and sweet potato fries were wonderful. And spinach salad was loaded with goodies and filling. Having wine flights enhanced entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Friendly StaffMRA7Dined on 6/11/2014The service was wonderful, my filet mignon was cooked perfectly and it was very high quality meet. ALSO, ALL DESSERTS ARE MADE IN HOUSE DAILY -- not pre-made! Rare to find in restaurants these days. Pete Millers was a great experience overall and the menu definitely has something to please everybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School SteakhouseHungryDadDined on 6/10/2014The atmosphere is red leather couch steakhouses of old. We order a filet, bone in ribeye and NY strip as well as the lobster macaroni. We all loved our dishes. The garlic mashed are full of garlic and a great compliment. All steaks tasted phenomenal. We all ordered medium, and they actually came that way. Pink in the middle, not red. Our waiter Derek was attentive and not overbearing. For the kids order the ice cream sundae. It comes in the size of a fishbowl practically. Great time. Expect to pay steakhouse prices.Special Features:
- Avoid at all costs!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/7/2014The most poorly managed restaurant I've been in over the last 25 years. Hostess was directing people to the "Billiard Room," which had 40-60 people in it. The only person servicing the room was the bartender! I don't know who manages the hostess station and the server schedules, but whoever it is is incompetent.
- MealmamaDined on 6/5/2014The food is very good. I am not a steak eater but the salmon was excellent and so were the sides. The staff is friendly and service good. Personally, it's a bit too dark for me and the band was too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Us!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Food was excellent, service great, & the jazz group (Chris Jones) was wonderful. Thought they were classic! Reminded me of Eric Dolphy & Co. (Had I been there long enough I would have asked for their rendition of "Warm Canto.")Special Features:
- What happened????LifelongChicagoanDined on 5/28/2014This was might favorite spot to go for steak. Until my last visit. I don't have steak very often and this where I would go. It had been competitively priced with steakhouses of similar ilk. Conveniently located for me. Meat that was as good as any other steakhouse. This time the New York Strip had way too much gristle. The seabass was nothing special. And my brother's tuna, although he did not complain, was served thin sliced and didn't look like the tuna steaks I'm used to seeing. Was afraid this would happen once ownership changed. Really don't know if I will go back there to give it another chance. Service would have received an excellent, but our waiter was over the top, way to ebullient. That's the word. I looked it up.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2014Great food and service. Nice music. Delicious bananas foster desert. Sea bass was excellent.Special Features:
- GREAT RESTAURANTIvesDined on 5/19/2014LOVE THE FOOD, THE SERVICE, THE AMBIENCE, THE MUSIC, THE MOOD.....OUTSTANDING PLACESpecial Features:
- Parmesan Steakpig1955Dined on 5/19/2014Best steak in a while. They are consistently tender and flavorful. Decided to try a crust this time-parmesan. Good decision!Special Features:
- Overpriced and disappointedDisappointedDined on 5/17/2014Steak is priced in the steak house range, but not close in quality. Calamari was heavily breaded. Son didn't like the burger. All in all, OK food, but expected better and not worth the money. Live entertainment helped set it apart from other dining establishments. I asked in reservation for something special for a birthday celebration, but did not get even an acknowledgment from the wait staff.Special Features:
- Bad service, great food.AnniversarydisasterDined on 5/17/2014We sat looking over the menu for over 30min without even a smile from waiters and workers. The waiter continued to serve the family next to us. Never acknowledging us. After a total of 40 min I stopped a female worker who was not a waitress. I let her know we haven't received a greeting, bread, water, nothing. She was very polite and brought someone else over who was not a waiter. We were served and had to deal with uncomfortable eye contact with the waiter who was either overworked or just plain horrible at his job. The food was EXCELLENT. Calamari appetizer, I had the 22oz ribeye and my wife had the sirloin. We both had garlic mashed potatoes. All food was great! It's unfortunate we will never be back do to the service.Special Features:
- DisappointingKevinDined on 5/16/2014My wife and I both ordered the Prime Rib. While tasty, both were so full of gristle that they were almost unedible. Also the side of broccoli we ordered was undercooked to the point of being raw. My son ordered the NY steak and it was fine.
- Quality Staff as Well as Food!DrMarcDined on 5/13/2014Pete Miller's has staff to equal its great food. Our waiter was very knowledgeable, with a great sense of humor. His knowledge extended to the bar menu as well as the food. He added to our dinner experience!Special Features:
- Even steak hating Mom loved itWillmasterDined on 5/11/2014My Mom does not eat steaks. Seafood is her thing. She had a great time. After all it was Mother's Day. We got there early. Our reservation was for 6:30 but we were hungry and wanted to get there before the rain hit. The restaurant was crowded but they found a table for us right away. Probably the best table in the house, too! Service was attentive without being overwrought. The excellent quality of the dinner was also not priced in the stratosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendSatisfiedDined on 5/11/2014Went for mother's day. We were very late for our 5:00 reservation, but the staff was very accommodating and still got us in right away. The service started out slow, but the waiter could have been waiting for our whole party to arrive. Once he came over the first time, he was very attentive. There was a singer that evening, who was lovely, but our table was right next to the stage, which made conversation difficult. They could have turned her mic down or might consider re-arranging the tables up front- or give people the option when making the reservation of being near the stage or away from the music. Great food and good experience all around though!Special Features:
- A Great Mother's DayohyesDined on 5/11/2014I've done brunch on Mother's Day at lots of places in 25 years. Miller's is the best.Special Features:
- A very special Mother's dayKAMIDined on 5/11/2014My mom is currently visiting from Colombia, South America, where she permanently resides. This year I wanted to celebrate Mother's day in a special place given that I had the fortune to have her and my wife together for the holiday. Reservations were made at Pete Miller's, a place that I have frequented in the past and knew would live up to my expectations. I wasn't disappointed; the abundance and food quality of the brunch, coupled with the extraordinary service and ambience, made this a memorable occasion. Thanks Pete Miller's for such great moments.Special Features: