Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
1557 Sherman Ave
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.petemillers.com/
- Phone: (847) 328-0399
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Kitchen Hours Subject to Change
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Mooney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private space for 2-150 guests. The perfect venue for rehearsal dinners, awards banquets, birthdays, graduations, and any special event! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, and for bookings.
- Private Party Contact: Christi Land 8473280399x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every night of the week.
Mondays - Thursdays: 6:00PM - 10:00PM
Fridays-Saturdays: 8:00PM - 12:00AM
Sundays: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
A word from Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston
Located in downtown Evanston, the original Pete Miller's was founded in 1994 as a tribute to the late Harold "Pete" Miller. The restaurant celebrates his favorite things; swingin' jazz, a good honest drink & a great steak. Join us for dinner and experience what Pete's has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak - Evanston reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (54)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (38)romantic (31)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (19)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Dining expABdiningoutVIPDined on 11/16/2014This restaurant was one of my fav until my last experience. This time was much better! Still service was slow!!! Don't ever come if your in a hurry! The mgr (-not Terry!!!)-the other one & owner were very nice. My dad enjoyed it which made me very happy! He said the food was excellent! Made me smile:) It was more of a delightful experience than the last & we spent over $200 for 3 of us. We will be back, just hopefully won't have to go to a play or event right after.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun Friday spot2amusedDined on 11/14/2014The live music was great ; jazz standards by piano and vocalist. Really enjoyed the scallop appetizer and petite filletSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a restaurant, not a jazz club.SemiFoodieDined on 11/11/2014Jazz is nice but the amps need to be turned down. You go there for the food. Music is just a "nice to have".I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parents weekendScottADined on 11/8/2014Nice time at parents weekend - lively crowd and enthusiastic wait staff. Food was well prepared and to our liking. Solid wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evanston RegularRon44Dined on 11/8/2014My son has recently joined the Northwestern University community and we treated him and my other son to dinner there this past weekend. We were very pleased with our meal and service. It was not as expensive as I would expected and will be a regular in the visits to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steak, lousy presentationWildcatDined on 11/8/2014The steak was quite good, cocktails were a disappointment. The service was attentive and prompt. We were seated as we walked in for 7:30 reservation on a very busy night, family weekend at Northwestern. Lots of fun post football families and groups. Jazz was perfect to add to a nice ambiance without being too loud. The only real disappointment was the steak presentation. For the price it struck us as lacking. A filet with a dried up baked potato plopped on a large plate. We are NOT foodies and the fact that we all noticed is why it is mentioned. Overall a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food & serviceMidModinerDined on 11/8/2014We visited Pete's on a busy football weekend. We were seated promptly according to our reservation and the waiter was there quickly. Despite being very busy, the waiter checked on us frequently. Food was amazing. From appetizers to entrees to sides--everything top notch. Don't miss the stuffed mushrooms or firecracker shrimp apps. Ahi tuna served perfectly rare; steaks wonderful. Plus, a live band played throughout the night. This is a don't-miss dining experience. We will go back!Special Features:
- Great steaks and exciting live jazzJazzmanDined on 11/7/2014Pete Miller's was great for a weekend dinner while visiting our child studying at Northwestern. The steaks were cooked to perfection. The salads crisp and large. Our waitress friendly and helpful and smiley. It is an "energetic" place and a "hot spot" due to the action in the main room, where live jazz is played. We sat up close, enjoying our meal and the great jazz trio playing that evening. Pete Miller's is recommended for an enjoyable, fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally professionalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014When booking my reservation , I has received a email varifing my plans for dinner I had input the wrong date , I called and Pete millers professional team took care of it promptly ! Thanks again Dan LeMireSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Destination!LettuceFanVIPDined on 11/5/2014I live in the city and have spent years hearing about and wanting to try Pete Miller's and I'm ashamed that it took me this long. I drove up on a steak-craving Wednesday night. Having never been, I was immediately struck by the look and feel of this place. A great combination of neighborhood-y, elegant & comfortable. We sat near the piano where a lovely lady named Jeanie Tanner belted out some smooth sounds (not too loud to be intrusive either.) Food-wise, we tried the firecracker shrimp, the garlic mashed potatoes, asparagus and the bone-in aged ribeye. Everything was great & the steaks were perfectly cooked and very flavorful. One of the better dry-aged ribeyes I've had. Our server was also friendly, knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere but main course....DisappointingDined on 11/2/2014I took a friend from out of town, hoping for something special. The atmosphere and service were quite good. But my main dish, the strip steak, was very tough with little flavor. I was disappointed. Will need to think twice about a future visit.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Went to celebrate a special occasion with my husband. His soup was cold and even after sending it back once, still not hot. The waitress forgot my second glass of wine. Felt she was a bit distracted and overwhelmed. The steak was outstanding and my husband enjoyed his shrimp, but again, it was not as hot as it should have been.Special Features:
- Not what it use to beABC123VIPDined on 11/1/2014It's been a number of years since visiting Pete Miller's Seafood and Prime Steak in Evanston, we were looking forward to the vibrance and quality food. It simply feels dated now and needs to be freshened up visually. The moment we walked in the door there was no hostess. When she did arrive, there was no eye contact and a very high pitched awkward welcome. Our server was bored the minute he laid eyes on us. He was not very attentive, and never a smile. The food was less than average and it cost 4 of us $300.00 to eat here. We did have cocktails, but the entrees were ridiculously high in price. Nothing exciting about the plating, it looked average and the salads weren't nearly as fresh as they should have been. It was a disappointing.
- Top notch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Food, service and entertainment were all top notch. Great night out for our special occasion.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceChuckDined on 10/26/2014Even though we were the last ones there on a Sunday nite they did not rush us - even offered the dessert menu. The food and service is always spectacularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night hot spotpartyof6Dined on 10/25/2014Excellent food, great selection of appetizers, jazz played very well at 8 pm., and a great female vocalistSpecial Features:
- New Chef?regulardinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Pete Miller's has been a staple for us when doing things in Evanston. We booked a table for Saturday night before going to a play. The service was good, the place is always loud but there a quieter locations. I had the Cobb salad with grilled seafood. The salad was a jumbled mess of ingredients nothing bad but nothing very good. My wife had the shrimp scampi and again nothing bad but not that good either. We will not be going back soon unless they figure out how to produce food that matches their prices.
- EVANSTON IL SEA & STEAKvegascaseyDined on 10/19/2014Pete Miller's came highly recommended, but did not live up to expectations. Service was very good; food was fair only. The ribs were overdone (almost burned) and the accompaniments were average. A lounge singer and piano was much too loud, making conversation difficult.Special Features:
- Decent, service could be better.NA11VIPDined on 10/18/2014The server was slow. He never asked us if we wanted any drink refills, and he took forever to check on us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- doctorjayDrJanniversarydinnerDined on 10/18/2014We dine at Pete Miller's Evanston regularly. The ambience and jazz, combined with the good food and above average service keeps us coming back. It truly is a neighborhood gem. . . convenient, good menu selections, no city parking prices and jazz!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time had a fantastic mealdining50sDined on 10/18/2014another couple and we had our first meal at Pete Millers. Started off with the shrimp cocktail and stuffed mushrooms. Both were excellent and had great taste. Moved onto the steaks, had the 20oz ribeye, it was outstanding, great texture and taste, perfectly done. Also had a chopped salad and seared Ahi tuna. They were excellent as well. Very good preperation. The desserts, cheesecake and bananas foster were good, but nothing like the appetizers and main meal. will definitely be going here again. Service was attentive and we never needed to ask for water, iced tea, plates, or silverware.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a fun atmosphereyouraveragedinerDined on 10/17/2014Pete Miller's is a great, old-school type steak house with old-school character but with a fun, inviting atmosphere and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 10/13/2014Monday night pianist was way too LOUD! No price on the shrimp cocktail, at least mark it market price New menu more limiting, less interesting, no skirt steak
- Best steak!chicagodineVIPDined on 10/10/2014I live in Chicago which is "steak town," but will drive up to Evanston for Pete Miller''s. The Filet trio is terrific. Good accompaniments, great service, wonderful live jazz. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience.iamlorDined on 10/3/2014I went there for my birthday with my family and it was a great experience. Great food, lively atmosphere with live music, and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Evanston locationpurylDined on 10/3/2014Very nice ambience and location. Food is good, a bit pricey. My first two wine selections were not available; I had to make a third election.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful service!!:(ABdiningoutVIPDined on 10/3/2014We were in a huge hurry. Called in advance to place our order & the guy in front -Avi had NO CLUE what was going on!:(made reserv 2 wks prior & VERY dissapointed. Spent over $300& then waitress forgot to add on mushrooms so had to do bill all over:( Our asparagus was undercooked, ordered pineapple juice like always-had no straw/1/2 way filled..terribly dissapointed as gave us wrong filets, but because being in a hurry...just dealt with. Soo..dissapointed! Been many times-live pretty close. Even bring friend, colleagues, but don't know if will be coming again. Really would've expected a MUCH better experience...especially if planned in advance & should've been taken care of properly. Embarrassed& treated poorly..think mgr was embarrassed by
- abitpickyDined on 10/3/2014Service is seemingly never very good. Were it not convenient, I doubt I'd ever go.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014food was just average and in a largely empty restaurant at 6:00 they seated a family with young kids who were very noisy right next to us??
- OpaOpaDined on 9/28/2014Food was great, service was good , however we were there with 3 of our grandchildren & the music was so loud we had a difficult time having a conversation.
- Always a Winner but . . .kshillingDined on 9/27/2014We love Pete Miller's - the setting is special, the service fantastic, the steaks are great. I hate to say anything negative at all about this place but I really wish they would learn how to cook vegetables. On our last visit, I ordered the brussel sprouts with my steak and they were nearly raw. I know that a lot of people think this is the way to cook vegetables, but it's just so wrong. It's a holdover from the eighties that should have died. If I want to eat crudite, that would be one thing but I ordered a cooked hot vegetable. I couldn't even eat them. I was really disappointed. But everything else was top notch.
- Great mealLoveFoodAndWineVIPDined on 9/27/2014My husband and 20+ son love this place. Excellent steak. The shrimp was cooked in butter and was absolutely perfect in texture and tasted like lobster. Rich but a delicious treat. Bread is awesome. Water glasses filled like clockwork. Friendly service. The roasted potatoes were tasty but salty, even for me - and I like salt an awful lot. The portions are huge, split a salad! Live music is fabulous, however, it is hard to have a table conversation in this place. We were seated next to the bar and the "stage" so that didn't help. I would have thought given that this was the third or fourth visit in the past couple of years we would have had better seating.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014Been here a few times. The food is consistently a cut above. Especially the steak filet (medium rare). Crab legs are always good too. Live jazz, which is really nice, in a recessed stage corner at the front where the volume is not intrusive the mark of a well designed floor plan.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/22/2014We especially enjoyed the excellent live jazz piano player, Lisa McQueen. What a tremendous talent!Special Features:
- Don32Dined on 9/21/2014I treated my 15 and 16 year grandsons for filet steaks which were excellent by all three 0f us. They really enjoyed the music which was pleasant but. Not distracting. Calamari was tender and crispy. Death by Chocolate was good, but the scoop of ice cream woy too small. Overall we had a very good time and will come back again sometime.HappySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestWestsiderDined on 9/20/2014First, Pete Miller's has great cuisine. The steaks are the best I've had. They also have great service. Their reservations are reliable, your table will be ready. This is so good you could make it a regular stop, but at minimum, try it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale, friendly, yummyCatsMomDined on 9/19/2014our second visit was as yummy as our first. steaks are amazing. staff friendly and helpful. desserts are generous. sat in back room that was cozy and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE best dinner and musicOLHEDined on 9/19/2014We have been going to Pete's for 8 years and it has always been the BEST. We are snow birds and go to dinner ASAP when we arrive for the season. We prefer a jazz trio or quartet for our music which is usually on the weekends. Our friends say Pete's has the best steak they have had and we agree completely agree. We have had a fantastic fish dinner when we just were not in the mood for meat and when we were not real hungry they split an entree for us. What's crazy is they have a really good and large hamburger. If you can eat it all and think you can still eat ---pair it up with a loaded baked potato. For that matter all of the sides are really good. Don't forget to get a martini when you sit down- ahSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014I ordered a Bone In Ribeye steak medium rare and it came out very dry and overcooked. It took a long time to get our entrees because the waiter said that there was a big party before us going out so I think my steak sat for a long time before it came to my table. The bearnaise sauce that was an extra tasted like it was made from a dry mix and not from scratch. For a $45 steak, I would expect a lot more from Pete Millers. We have been here many times before and I have ordered the Ribeye steak before and it was good. I would have complained to the waiter but because it took so long for our food to come out and we had my daughters boy friend with us, I did not want to make a big scene. I don't think we will be going back to Pete Millers.Special Features:
- Excellent dining an ambienceDeboraDined on 9/14/2014This is a wonderful place to meet with friends or as a duo. It is easy to have a conversation while dining on a delicious meal, with excellent live music in the background. Kudos!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.