1356 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://petalumarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 212-772-8800x
- Hours of Operation:
MON - FRI
11:30AM - 3:30PM
MON - SAT
5:00PM - 11:00PM
5:00PM - 9:00PM
SAT & SUN
11:00AM - 4:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: CJ Bivona III
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: From private affairs to extravagant banquets, Petaluma's catering program promotes the celebration of Italian Classics and New American Fare. With the ability to create a tailored catering menu; Petaluma offer's first-class catering solutions to meet the needs of your event while exceeding your highest expectations. We need at least 48 hours notice and special requests are our specialty.
- Private Party Facilities: From private affairs to extravagant banquets for 100 people, Petaluma’s special events program promotes the celebration of Italian classics and American Fare. With the ability to create a tailored catering menu; Petaluma offer's first-class catering solutions to meet the needs of your event while exceeding your highest expectations. A wide selection of prix fixe options starting from $35 per person for lunch and $55 per person for dinner. Plan your next corporate event, wedding, bar mitzvah, bat mitzvah, baby shower, new baby, retirement party, bridal shower, birthday party, anniversary party, Christmas party, Chanukah party, or any other special occasion with us.
- Private Party Contact: Eric Wilhelm 2127728800x
- Special Events: Planning a corporate event, wedding, bar mitzvah, bat mitzvah, baby shower, new baby, retirement party, bridal shower, birthday party, anniversary party, Christmas party, Chanukah party, or any other special event.
We have a recently renovated private dining space that can comfortably accommodate up to 50 people for a sit down dinner and 70 people for a cocktail reception.
As seen on Bravo TV's Real Housewives of New York, PBS Nightly Business Review, and other TV/Film shows.
A word from Petaluma
Petaluma Restaurant is an upscale Italian-inspired trattoria that has served the Upper East Side for over 28 years since opening its doors in 1985. After closing for a complete renovation in Winter 2013, Petaluma has reopened with new Executive Chef CJ Bivona, formerly the Executive Sous Chef at multiple James Beard Award nominated Yard Bird in Miami, and the Operations Team from The Line Group that has brought you Sons of Essex and Rochelle's in the Lower Eastside and The Raven in MePa. Open daily, Petaluma has lunch and dinner service plus brunch on the weekends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Petaluma reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance2.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Poor service ruined the experiencesparklebeeVIPDined on 9/28/2014New ownership. Menu is totally different and frankly not very inspiring. After more than 10 minutes, no one came for a drink order-not even a busboy for water-finally, I had to say no one was waiting on us. waiter then came and took our drink order, but another 15 minutes for the drinks to come. When the waiter finally got around to taking our order he explained there was a food delivery problem and that 6 or 7 of the items on the menu were not available. Our meal was OK with the pizza being quite good. Chicken OK. When it was time for the check we again could not get the waiter and to top off the evening, after he dropped the check, he never came back to collect the payment. Again, I had to get up and ask someone for service.Special Features:
- DISASTERFaiarVIPDined on 9/28/2014I brought another couple and we were told while ordering that they had gotten no deliveries and most items were not available we got a caesar salad and when we asked where the anchovies were they sent they arrived in the morning spoiled someone else got a sald with wilted leaves we ordered a pizza which was too doughy and we asked for the check and left they said that they wouldnt charge us and that they were sorry
- They Can't Get it RightBoybuilderVIPDined on 9/24/2014Setting aside the open kitchen food preparers handle food with their bare hands...the waiters don't have a clue on how to put an order in...having one person's entrée delivered and the others nowhere in que does not make for a pleasant evening....this is fundamental restaruanting...maybe they lost their touch during the renovation.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/24/2014Sat at bar...... regular bartender did not serve. The one who did was clueless......bread took one hour and they gave 2 pieces - COLD. Fish was not cooked through and cold. Overpriced and menu really not appealing. Hope they figure it out otherwise all the money they spent will be a shame wasted as they will not last.Special Features:
- Not the same PetalumaNy262Dined on 9/23/2014Noisy, Service slow, food not authentic Italian. Bolognase w Gnocchi served as a slab of meat known as Brisket and 6 pieces of Gnocchi. Initially excited to see this Resteraunt re-open. Yet so disappointed w food and service I'm not sure I would return.
- 2dineDined on 9/21/2014The wine ran out, food was not good served cold out of many dishes, chicken served raw and needed to be recooked, no beets in the beet salad,and last but least the tri sorbet had only 2 sorbay's Would not recommend
- More like 2.6 stars...GinsterDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant is much different from its previous incarnation. Smaller menu which is okay, the old menu was really quite extensive. Looks great, nice facelift. BUT it is very expensive for a neighborhood Italian restaurant. The appetizers are in the $15 range, entrees averaged $25, wine list was outrageous. Not a lot of wines under $60. We were four people and it was $450. That is for 4 apps, 4 entrees, 2 desserts and 2 bottles of wine. The food was good. The udon carbonara especially. The portions are on the small side served on huge white plates. To say that the restaurant was established in 1985 is deceiving because it is a new chef and new owners. Our waiter was pleasant & enthusiastic. Don't think I would go back.Special Features:
- Not impressedManhattanresident1Dined on 9/19/2014Ate at Petaluma last night and was not impressed. My husband enjoyed his salad and entree. Mine were awful. Had the verdure miste. Too much dressing. Salmon special was raw on the inside and the crust was burnt. If I hadn't been hungry, I'd have sent it back. They did take 7.00 off the price though. And the noise levels were not acceptable. One could not have a decent conversation. It was just eat and run. We'll never go back.
- What a disappointmentworldismytableDined on 9/18/2014Looking forward to Petaluma since it's rebirth announced in the NYT. My very animated, nearly strident waiter, very effusive about all the food and wine. I go with his wine recommendations. With my first course, an interesting fried pasta 'pizza', the wine doesn't arrive ..finally I flag him down and ask ..and he says: But you never decided? I did, I recount the conversation - the wine finally arrives - as my starter is getting colder. Then with my salmon main course, after agreeing to his Chardonnay-Vermintino, I have to practically tackle the waiter to demand it -again. He's clearly embarrassed, no apology, no taste, stares at the floor, pours with two luke warm bites left - then no bill adjustment. Bad tip and now bad review follow.
- cranetwinsVIPDined on 9/17/2014Unbearably noisy. Odd menu. Really inadequate drinks that were also much too expensive. Poor service.
- A let downRobs88VIPDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant recently reopened under with a new chef, updated decor etc. Service may have been spotty since they've only been open 3 weeks but the food there used to be simple, very good, Italian. Had veal parm that was mediocre. I wouldn't go back.
- muffieVIPDined on 9/11/2014Very disappointing compared to the original Petaluma. No more white table cloths. Tables are very close together. The menu was sparse. My cavatelli with pea pesto entree was appetizer size, the kale salad was overdressed and bland. Wines by the glass were pricey and the pour a bit measly. Perhaps I missed something as the restaurant was very crowded and others seemed to enjoy the experience. The pizzas might be the best choice-they looked delicious.
- Hoped for betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014Waited patiently for renovation and reopening. Not sure whether new layout is an improvement, but very unimpressed with the food. Our group of 4 decided to try tasting menu - 4 courses, your own choices. Nobody was very impressed. We did not try the pizza, and perhaps that's a strength, but pasta, fish, chicken entrees really unexceptional. 7 pm on Saturday, filled with kids. We had hoped for more refinement - did not happen. Don't see us coming back, though we are locals. Too many better options.Special Features:
- First ImpressionsOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/5/2014First time dinner, had 8:15 res....got there 8:20 and we were greeted with total confusion, lack of attention, and inaction Once seated (10 minutes later) we ordered 5 different starters and one was better than the next. Our server was just outstanding and despite the VERY loud conditions (and hostess issues)....we will give them a second chanceSpecial Features:
- ServiceFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Good decor, interesting menu, service spotty, think they are still working out kinks.Special Features:
- Won't go backMarlaNYCVIPDined on 9/5/2014We used to love Petaluma as a great neighborhood restaurant. Renovated restaurant is incredibly loud, tables are uncomfortable (expansion flaps folded underneath make so low you can't cross legs), service terrible ( no one but your waiter will do anything for you, including pouring wine or bringing olive oil) and the food was marginal. Not worth it. Go to Nino's next door instead.
- Not like the last onekateDined on 9/5/2014New decor not very exciting. Tables too close . Food was very good after one figured out how to navigate the menu. Very noisy in bar area even when not full. Will try again in a location away from the bar because the food seemed quite promising.
- DisappointinguesfoodiesVIPDined on 9/4/2014We were anxious to try the 'new' restaurant and had read a great deal about it. It was not a great experience. The selections of brands at the bar were limited; the hostess was amateurish; the server was less than capable and didn't really know the menu. Hey, we thought, they're new let's be patient and forgiving. Then the food came… tasteless and, well, basically awful. Our complaints were met with a shrug (as if to say, we know that). No real attempt to make things right. The former Petaluma was poor and as of our first visit to the new one, I'd say there has not been an improvement. Sad, they must have worked hard. But, need to work harder. I suggest they change the dining room manager and put salt and pepper on the table.
- Disappointing downgradeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/3/2014After such a long closing for renovation of a longtime favorite I was sad to see the new Petaluma is a shadow of its former self. It is louder, more hectic, less elegant, and the foods is not even close to as good as before, even the pizza was disappointing. Now it joins the crowd of expensive mediocrity on the upper east side.
- fun nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Highly recommend the charcuterie appetizer as well as the homemade ricotta and strawberry preserves.Meatballs are great too.One criticism-they need to serve more bread..lots more.We just kept asking and they complied.Great staff and cappuccino was the best I ever had.perfect end to the meal.Special Features:
- extremely disappointedloriVIPDined on 8/29/2014misrepresentation of family style dining - definitely not family style- food flavor mediocre at best , strange tasting sauce on eggplant parm and odd presentation of chicken scarparella will not return
- Okay neighborhood restaurantDinneranyoneVIPDined on 8/27/2014Restaurant reopened under new management. Service very good. Food needs to improve. Pasta bland, needs more sauce. Chicken Parm very good. Short ribs inconsistent, some tough pieces. Need to serve bread and not just breadsticks and crackers. Appetizers and desserts very good. Need to turn down music.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 250 reviews are from the Petaluma reviews archive.
- Great spotluckyDined on 7/24/2013Nice atmosphere perfect for a date and the food matches the experience as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunchfrancisco2prVIPDined on 7/14/2013We were looking for a restaurant that would serve late breakfast or brunch on Sunday, but our usual preferred places had no availability. So we ended up at Petaluma. The menu is excellent, the execution was merely good, certainly not bad. All things considered we had a very pleasant brunch at Petaluma.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot on the Upper East4thRockRuminatorVIPDined on 7/7/2013Nice spot on the Upper East East Side with good wood oven pizza and homemade pasta.Special Features:
- One dish was less than ... But ...MegAgainDined on 7/4/2013Lovely evening. One of my party wasn't happy with a clam main course. I tasted it and agreed: not good. Bad review? No. It happens. Readily replaced with fresh veg pasta, combination of olive & truffle oil with heavenly herbs. We all immediately forgot the seafood mishap. Heh, it happens. Risk taken serving fresh seafood. I plan to return. We all do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three of us had a Sunday brunchMendocinaDined on 6/30/2013Three of us had a Sunday brunch at this restaurant. Service was attentive, brunch menu was typical and the food was good. The restaurant was chosen for proximity to one of the diners. I have no complaints. But gIven the thousands of alternatives in New York, I would not rush to return but would try another in the future, for variety's sake.
- Very goodpiperDined on 6/29/2013Good food, service, ambience and a good price for it allSpecial Features:
- Lovely lunch siteJoanVIPDined on 6/29/2013Enjoyed a delightful lunch--attractive presentation, well served, delicious, well pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another huge family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2013another huge family dinner at Petaluma and we were not disappointed...the fried olives are so yummy, the service was still good and best of all, the prices are so reasonable by nyc standards! we enjoyed the food, the large table in the back and the fact that it did not break the bank...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2013The service was just terrible, we had to ask for water three times, butter three times. When I ordered my dinner, veal parmegian, I asked for very little sauce on it. When the four dinners came out, I could see that there was no veal parmegian. The waiter whisked it away with no apology. He then brought me my dinner about 6 minutes later. the rest of the table was almost finished. It was not veal parmegian, but chicken parmegian. it was too late to send it back again so I ate it. when I told the waiter he had brought me the wrong dish twice, there were no apologies or any offer to make amends. will not go back.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/28/2013Have been to area a lot and found it challenging to find a good place for dinner close to Hospital for Special Surgery. Went for dinner during the week and was pleasantly surprised. Has nice Italian menu; we ordered delicious wines by the glass. We ate the shrimp scampi appetizer, the caesar salad, cavatelli and spaghetti pomodoro with meatballs - all were very tasty. The service was very good; and the ambience was pleasant. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatNYFoodieDined on 5/18/2013good basic Italian - snarly bartender - waitstaff wonderful - a bit pricey for the quality of their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good standard Italian fare.MattDined on 5/12/2013Good standard Italian fare. Nothing special, but not disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid PetalumastevenporteraVIPDined on 5/12/2013although it was Mother's Day, we had an early reservation (5:00pm). the restaurant was not overly crowded, but the service was AWFUL!!!!!! the wait staff was extremely uninterested in servicing us. we repeatedly tried to get the attention of a waiter or busboy walking by our table, many times during the course of the evening and almost always were ignored. on a few occasions, someone would look over, make eye contact and completely ignore us. overpriced, mediocre food with horrible service. STAY AWAY!!!!!
- Great for a Sunday brunchMonaDined on 5/12/2013I went here this past Sunday and really enjoyed it. The food was great, everyone was nice. My criticism was that service was a bit slow when we were looking to pay and head out, but honestly I prefer that to being rushed out!Special Features:
- First timerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013My first time visit with another couple we were all happy with our food orders Service was great no complaints .I will go Back for sure .Special Features:
- The food was good and fairlyRenoirVIPDined on 4/26/2013The food was good and fairly priced, though it you are sitting near the pizza oven it can (understandably) get quite warm. the lighting was also brighter than we would have wished for an evening meal. The service was up to scratch and all in all we had a good evening.Special Features:
- over an hour until we gotcrestaVIPDined on 4/23/2013over an hour until we got a weekday lunch spoke to 3 different waitrees and a hostess. wrong food not any offer of a drink or anything else.
- I'm Done With Petaluma!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2013This is a neighborhood place and I was looking forward to it being good so that we'd have a place to go often. My husband and I both ordered the pork chop (which was tough) but his came with a sweet potato instead of white potatoes just because he asked. After I was served mine I asked the waiter to substitute the white potatoes for a sweet potato but he would not make the substitution. Then when the manager was nearby I asked her. Her response was that there are no substitutions - never! How's that considering my husband did get a sweet potato as a substitution. When I showed it to her with her arrogant attitude she pretended not to notice. I'm done with Petaluma!