1356 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://petalumarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 212-772-8800x
- Hours of Operation:
MON - FRI
11:30AM - 3:30PM
MON - SAT
5:00PM - 11:00PM
5:00PM - 9:00PM
SAT & SUN
11:00AM - 4:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: CJ Bivona III
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: From private affairs to extravagant banquets, Petaluma's catering program promotes the celebration of Italian Classics and New American Fare. With the ability to create a tailored catering menu; Petaluma offer's first-class catering solutions to meet the needs of your event while exceeding your highest expectations. We need at least 48 hours notice and special requests are our specialty.
- Private Party Facilities: From private affairs to extravagant banquets for 100 people, Petaluma’s special events program promotes the celebration of Italian classics and American Fare. With the ability to create a tailored catering menu; Petaluma offer's first-class catering solutions to meet the needs of your event while exceeding your highest expectations. A wide selection of prix fixe options starting from $35 per person for lunch and $55 per person for dinner. Plan your next corporate event, wedding, bar mitzvah, bat mitzvah, baby shower, new baby, retirement party, bridal shower, birthday party, anniversary party, Christmas party, Chanukah party, or any other special occasion with us.
- Private Party Contact: Eric Wilhelm 2127728800x
- Special Events: Planning a corporate event, wedding, bar mitzvah, bat mitzvah, baby shower, new baby, retirement party, bridal shower, birthday party, anniversary party, Christmas party, Chanukah party, or any other special event.
We have a recently renovated private dining space that can comfortably accommodate up to 50 people for a sit down dinner and 70 people for a cocktail reception.
As seen on Bravo TV's Real Housewives of New York, PBS Nightly Business Review, and other TV/Film shows.
A word from Petaluma
Petaluma Restaurant is an upscale Italian-inspired trattoria that has served the Upper East Side for over 28 years since opening its doors in 1985. After closing for a complete renovation in Winter 2013, Petaluma has reopened with new Executive Chef CJ Bivona, formerly the Executive Sous Chef at multiple James Beard Award nominated Yard Bird in Miami, and the Operations Team from The Line Group that has brought you Sons of Essex and Rochelle's in the Lower Eastside and The Raven in MePa. Open daily, Petaluma has lunch and dinner service plus brunch on the weekends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Petaluma reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (1)great for outdoor dining (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Okay neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/27/2014Restaurant reopened under new management. Service very good. Food needs to improve. Pasta bland, needs more sauce. Chicken Parm very good. Short ribs inconsistent, some tough pieces. Need to serve bread and not just breadsticks and crackers. Appetizers and desserts very good. Need to turn down music.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 250 reviews are from the Petaluma reviews archive.
- Great spotluckyDined on 7/24/2013Nice atmosphere perfect for a date and the food matches the experience as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunchfrancisco2prVIPDined on 7/14/2013We were looking for a restaurant that would serve late breakfast or brunch on Sunday, but our usual preferred places had no availability. So we ended up at Petaluma. The menu is excellent, the execution was merely good, certainly not bad. All things considered we had a very pleasant brunch at Petaluma.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot on the Upper East4thRockRuminatorVIPDined on 7/7/2013Nice spot on the Upper East East Side with good wood oven pizza and homemade pasta.Special Features:
- One dish was less than ... But ...MegAgainDined on 7/4/2013Lovely evening. One of my party wasn't happy with a clam main course. I tasted it and agreed: not good. Bad review? No. It happens. Readily replaced with fresh veg pasta, combination of olive & truffle oil with heavenly herbs. We all immediately forgot the seafood mishap. Heh, it happens. Risk taken serving fresh seafood. I plan to return. We all do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three of us had a Sunday brunchMendocinaDined on 6/30/2013Three of us had a Sunday brunch at this restaurant. Service was attentive, brunch menu was typical and the food was good. The restaurant was chosen for proximity to one of the diners. I have no complaints. But gIven the thousands of alternatives in New York, I would not rush to return but would try another in the future, for variety's sake.
- Very goodpiperDined on 6/29/2013Good food, service, ambience and a good price for it allSpecial Features:
- Lovely lunch siteJoanVIPDined on 6/29/2013Enjoyed a delightful lunch--attractive presentation, well served, delicious, well pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another huge family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2013another huge family dinner at Petaluma and we were not disappointed...the fried olives are so yummy, the service was still good and best of all, the prices are so reasonable by nyc standards! we enjoyed the food, the large table in the back and the fact that it did not break the bank...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2013The service was just terrible, we had to ask for water three times, butter three times. When I ordered my dinner, veal parmegian, I asked for very little sauce on it. When the four dinners came out, I could see that there was no veal parmegian. The waiter whisked it away with no apology. He then brought me my dinner about 6 minutes later. the rest of the table was almost finished. It was not veal parmegian, but chicken parmegian. it was too late to send it back again so I ate it. when I told the waiter he had brought me the wrong dish twice, there were no apologies or any offer to make amends. will not go back.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/28/2013Have been to area a lot and found it challenging to find a good place for dinner close to Hospital for Special Surgery. Went for dinner during the week and was pleasantly surprised. Has nice Italian menu; we ordered delicious wines by the glass. We ate the shrimp scampi appetizer, the caesar salad, cavatelli and spaghetti pomodoro with meatballs - all were very tasty. The service was very good; and the ambience was pleasant. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatNYFoodieDined on 5/18/2013good basic Italian - snarly bartender - waitstaff wonderful - a bit pricey for the quality of their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good standard Italian fare.MattDined on 5/12/2013Good standard Italian fare. Nothing special, but not disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid PetalumastevenporteraVIPDined on 5/12/2013although it was Mother's Day, we had an early reservation (5:00pm). the restaurant was not overly crowded, but the service was AWFUL!!!!!! the wait staff was extremely uninterested in servicing us. we repeatedly tried to get the attention of a waiter or busboy walking by our table, many times during the course of the evening and almost always were ignored. on a few occasions, someone would look over, make eye contact and completely ignore us. overpriced, mediocre food with horrible service. STAY AWAY!!!!!
- Great for a Sunday brunchMonaDined on 5/12/2013I went here this past Sunday and really enjoyed it. The food was great, everyone was nice. My criticism was that service was a bit slow when we were looking to pay and head out, but honestly I prefer that to being rushed out!Special Features:
- First timerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013My first time visit with another couple we were all happy with our food orders Service was great no complaints .I will go Back for sure .Special Features:
- The food was good and fairlyRenoirVIPDined on 4/26/2013The food was good and fairly priced, though it you are sitting near the pizza oven it can (understandably) get quite warm. the lighting was also brighter than we would have wished for an evening meal. The service was up to scratch and all in all we had a good evening.Special Features:
- over an hour until we gotcrestaVIPDined on 4/23/2013over an hour until we got a weekday lunch spoke to 3 different waitrees and a hostess. wrong food not any offer of a drink or anything else.
- I'm Done With Petaluma!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2013This is a neighborhood place and I was looking forward to it being good so that we'd have a place to go often. My husband and I both ordered the pork chop (which was tough) but his came with a sweet potato instead of white potatoes just because he asked. After I was served mine I asked the waiter to substitute the white potatoes for a sweet potato but he would not make the substitution. Then when the manager was nearby I asked her. Her response was that there are no substitutions - never! How's that considering my husband did get a sweet potato as a substitution. When I showed it to her with her arrogant attitude she pretended not to notice. I'm done with Petaluma!
- Food was very good, servicegrydDined on 4/3/2013Food was very good, service was good, all in all a good neigborhood place.Special Features:
- Went for Easter dinner. threeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2013Went for Easter dinner. three people . Two of three entrees very good . My roasted ham--fair. Not a lot of flavor. Also, a little skimpy on the bloody marys. If just a little more "love" went into kitchen and service,the restaurant has potential to go from good to very good.One of the best 'spaces' on the UES. By, J Pat E. 70'sSpecial Features:
- Dinner was great, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2013Dinner was great, service was excellent and the best Buffalo Mozzarella I ever ate...it was like it was made special for me when I ordered it! The only problem I had was the overpowering stench of BBQ. It smacks you in the face when you walk in and is tough to get used to. Hope this helps.
- Soup was a bit salty- we sentbonitababeVIPDined on 3/9/2013Soup was a bit salty- we sent it back, otherwise everything was excellent...great neighborhood restaurant. Would definitely return!Special Features:
- Love Petaluma!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2013Neighborhood staple for years!!! We love the place!Special Features:
- They will only offer the unlimitedFineVIPDined on 3/3/2013They will only offer the unlimited Mimosa special to groups of 8 or less. I wish we had known this when we made our reservation for 9.Special Features:
- Very ordinary. Went for brunch.NorthernerVIPDined on 3/3/2013Very ordinary. Went for brunch. 4 of us. 1 order wrong. Service mediocre.
- Tasty food and excellent wine.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/1/2013Tasty food and excellent wine. The service is very slow, as always.Special Features:
- Gluten-free pizza was onefrequentdinerVIPDined on 2/22/2013Gluten-free pizza was one of the best I've had - substantial, crispy crust, toppings well-applied. Regular pizza was a tad soggy. Introductory, complimentary crostini were perfectly cooked, with delicious sun-dried tomato sauce, so was surprised at below-average pizza. Service was gracious and prompt, water glasses refilled constantly. Popular local restaurant - food is usually top-notch and service is always excellent.Special Features:
- Really just not a good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/16/2013Really just not a good place to visit. So many better even within walking distance.
- Food is always good. The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/16/2013Food is always good. The service is too fast. Rushed thru than 30 minutes to get the check. Never got the signiture olives at the startSpecial Features:
- A Neighborhood FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/9/2013It's only a few blocks from home, so it scores high on location. I dine there often, though, cause the food is consistently good, moderately priced and served in a warm, comfortable ambiance. Their stoned fired oven pizzas are a great appetizer, or an entree if you are feeling it. Chicken/veal Marsala and the grilled salmon are two of my favorites. Rarely crowded, but always a decent size crowd. They often serve a complimentary fried olive appetizer that's quite tasty. (Didn't get one when I last dined there on Sat. Nite.)Special Features:
- Always a good option for lunchJoeConciergeDined on 1/18/2013Always a good option for lunch on the Far East side esp if doing business at Sothebys or visiting at Mary Manning Walsh both within one crosstown block.Special Features:
- Once again theybare consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/10/2013Once again theybare consistent w their inconsistent service....20 min for dessert...no reason why, no apology...cancelled dessert! At that point , who needed the calories.Special Features:
- this is nice place for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/6/2013this is nice place for lunch or dinner but doesn't warrant brunch which is what we went for. the smell of the wood burning oven for pizza overwhelmed. service was great and those of us that had other than breakfast thought the food was ok.
- Attentive and professionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/3/2013Attentive and professional staff. Food is excellentSpecial Features:
- Very pleasant and convivial placeLoveNYCVIPDined on 1/1/2013We went to Petaluma as a (grown up) family, somewhat late in the evening on New Year's Day so it was quiet. We enjoyed a spacious table and absolutely delicious food. The mozzarella/burrata, bruschetta and calamari starters were just delightful. Cocktails were very nice - I had a cosmo and it was nicely balanced, not too sweet. The main courses were good as well. Given the vast number of great Italian restaurants in New York the competition is stiff, but if you're in the neighborhood it's definitely worth a visit. We found the service quite attentive. An extra bonus is the cast of local characters you'll find here who have undoubtedly been coming here for years and years.Special Features:
- My husband, two children,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2012My husband, two children, and I ate here for the very first time. I discovered it online when searching for homemade pasta. It was absolutely brilliant in all ways! The pasta was the best I have ever had. Perfect portion sizes. We will be returning for sure!Special Features:
- This restaurant has declinedJosephDined on 12/20/2012I have worked in the neighborhoods for seven years and this restaurant has declined in service, food, etc. They don't know if they want to be a high end restaurant, sports bar or neighborhood hang out. Service for large groups is slow and inattentive. There are much better places to eat in the neighborhood.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/19/2012Our perception during the recent past is that there has been a decline in food offerings and in service, beginning with a very minimal selection of dry tastless bread offered before meals and ending with the change in biscotti offered after meals. It also appears that management has changed for the worse, now disorganized, unprepared and somewhat unprofessional. We have been very regular neighborhood customers for years. I highly doubt that we will be going back.
- This place used to be reliable.CommishVIPDined on 12/18/2012This place used to be reliable. Now the food is not consistent. Portions smaller. They no longer serve the Italian bread that was made there - disappointing. The wine selection also has changed. They serve cheap tasting wine now - terrible selections. Thank heavens for the hostess Vesna who makes you feel welcome.Special Features: