Pescatore on Bala
134 Bala Avenue
Bala-Cynwyd, PA 19004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Pescatore on Bala
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pescatorebyob.com/
- Phone: 6106609400x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday - Sunday at 5:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Anastasi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout
A word from Pescatore on Bala
Pescatore specializes in Italian Cuisine with a rustic, Mediterranean flair. Pastas are made fresh each day, and all fish is caught and brought to your plate directly from the boat.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Pescatore on Bala - Best Restaurants in Bala-Cynwyd ›
Pescatore on Bala reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (89)fit for foodies (57)special occasion (44)romantic (21)good for groups (19)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- BarbaraDined on 9/20/2014Food was great. We often patronize this restaurant. Portions seem to be getting smaller.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SSKGDined on 9/18/2014Outstanding is the best word to describe our dining experience. Best ossabussco ever! Grilled octopus was incredible too! Thomas is an amazing chef supported by a equally talented souschef, Anthony. Service was (and always is) wonderful - attentive, engaging and helpful when choosing from a full menu and evening specials. Dina and Giavanni are our favorites. Worth the trip out of Philly to find this gem of a BYOB in Bala Cynwyd!Special Features:
- watch the billbridgeguyDined on 9/14/2014We've been several times, and enjoy the restaurant. Yesterday we had a group of 6 and all enjoyed the food and the service. However, when the check came our official "check checker" noticed that her entree was $2 more than the menu price. Upon further examination several other entrees were also higher. The waitress was unaware of the issue. The manager took care of the problem, apologized and said that there was a glitch following the Labor Day changes. They raised their prices for Labor Day?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodpleasanteveningDined on 9/13/2014My friends and I enjoyed our meal very much. The food was very good and the service friendly and helpful. The ambiance is pleasant.Special Features:
- PardDined on 9/11/2014The service and food were exceptional. We were celebrating a B-Day and all had had a great, fun evening. I would highly recommend this gem.Special Features:
- enjoy this little placeneighborhoodgemDined on 9/10/2014Intimate dining with nice food selection. Pastas were quite delicious and portions large. Very convenient to the main line neighborhoods who don't want to go into town...parking isn't goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish- Many OptionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My friend and I, for the second time, chose Bala Ave. for a food adventure. We both had appetizers: she- eggplant tower which she said was "very good". I- buratta stuffed with broccoli rabe and seasonal tomatoes which was creamy, beautiful, huge (I could only manage half) with very little flavor, almost overwhelming eye appeal. She ordered salmon with risotto which was not on the menu. The salmon of the day had sauce with shellfish. She made a good decision. It was very good. I had the bronzino in sauce. The fish had the skin. There was a large amount of fish covered in a large amount of white wine sauce and crab- too much fish, too much sauce, but tasty.Special Features:
- Consistenly excellenthungryVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have been here at least 6 times and it only gets better each time.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTableGirlDined on 9/10/2014I had not been to Pescatore in awhile. The appetizer and entrée offerings were great. Service, food, and ambience were very good. There was a nice buzz for a Wednesday evening in the suburbs. My friend and I split their meatball appetizer that is a clear specialty of the kitchen. The nice size meatballs (2) were amazing, a beef, pork and veal combination. Salmon and branzino entrees were very nice. My friend accidentally left her cell phone and did not realize until she got back into the city. Since she was already back home and could not return that evening, our waiter offered to drop the phone at the desk of her apartment building at the end of his evening. That made for extremely gracious service and attention to customers.Special Features:
- A little disappointingFoodfanVIPDined on 9/6/2014Maybe it was my bad choice of entree, but I left feeling disappointed in our evening out. My husband raved about his short ribs and ravioli but I didn't enjoy my pappardelle and lobster pasta dish at all. The lobster was a bit overcooked and therefore too chewy, and the pappardelle was drowning in red sauce. The prosciutto stuffed with crabmeat appetizer was interesting though, and the tiramisu was delicious. And of course, it is BYO!Special Features:
- We love Pescatore on BalaLuvphillyDined on 9/6/2014We love to eat at Pescatore on Bala. The food is always delicious and the service excellent. We always feel as if we are "at home" having a great Italian dinner. This is difficult to accomplish with real Italians! Lol. We are never disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great all around experience!bethysueDined on 9/3/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was excellent, not everyday fare. The ambiance was simple and understated but very comfortable. It was full on a Wednesday night! The service was great; the food came out in a timely manner and the servers themselves were very attentive without overdoing it. It's great to have this more sophisticated restaurant in our neighborhood, without having to go into the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ScientistfoodieDined on 9/3/2014I have been to Pescatore several times and it never disappoint (well, except during restaurant week with the mass produced bland dishes, but don't them all? Argh). Anyways, the food was super fresh and delicious. Seafood is their specialty and for a reason. The grilled octopus was soft like butter, the Caesar salad had lots of crab (not the usual 3 strings), and the fish (we had flounder and the branzino) were both super tasty (with is one of my pet peeves when fish tastes like nothing). Prices are one the higher side; most main dishes are in the upper 20's, but it's a BYOB, so make sure to bring a red and a white so you can enjoy they whole gamma of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShoshannaShoshannaDined on 8/28/2014A very nice byob with a delicious menu and presentation. Highly recommend for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!DreamerVIPDined on 8/24/2014I have dined here 3 times in the last month. Each time has been a wonderful dining experience. The menu is creative and the food is delicious!Special Features:
- Great meal in a great little spotPhillyMovieGoerDined on 8/23/2014Had dinner prior to heading out for an evening concert. Dinner was excellent and I think it is nice to bring my own bottle of wine. Atmosphere was cozy and the service was very good as well. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Mangia Bene!luv2eatVIPDined on 8/23/2014Pescatore serves some of the best Italian food in the Philly suburbs. The crab and prosciutto appetizer was so outstanding that we tried to duplicate it at home (did not come close!). The Veal Pavarotti was a generous portion of chunks of veal in a delicious red sauce complete with cheese and veggies. The flatbread special, topped with lump crabmeat, was unique and so flavorful. Portion sizes of all courses are large, so we shared the Tartufo for dessert and topped off the meal with very well-made cappuccinos. Prices are reasonable, especially for the quality of the cooking and the portion sizes. And did I mention that Pescatore is a BYOB? Kudos to the chef. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- AwesomeJShultzDined on 8/21/2014I took my wife for her birthday. She loves Italian food. The rustic Italian was fantastic and the service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth going back toEatingWellAsSportDined on 8/20/2014After hearing rave reviews, we tried this neighborhood restaurant that is conveniently located in the suburbs. My husband and I enjoyed the food but did not find anything particularly remarkable about it. My husband had pasta bolognese and I had octopus salad which was very good and Branzino which was good, but not better than I could have prepared at home. It is absolutely worth trying again. And we will...Special Features:
- Anniversary QuickieAmericanDadDined on 8/19/2014Midweek dinner for anniversary. Just a quick bite on a special day. As always, Pescatore made us feel welcome and served us with a wonderful meal. The flatbread salad came heaped with crab and shrimp. The lamb shank was fall off the bone delicious and soft shell crabs were delicate and tasty. The evening was obviously a little slow and we closed the place but the staff made it feel like we could have stayed all night. This is the definition of a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!DaddyRhinoDined on 8/13/2014Had our first meal here with neighborhood friends and it was terrific. Creative and diverse menu, and Frank our waiter was knowledgeable, available but never intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/10/2014Stay with the veal, forget the crab cake. $25 3 course Specials only Sunday - ThursdaySpecial Features:
- Neighborhood1DinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014Extremely accommodating, friendly, great service. Crab Cakes, trout, meatballs, veal parm all excellent. Deserts also excellentSpecial Features:
- Well Executed ItalianCharlieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Have never had less than a good experience at Pescatore. Service is always great and the entire staff could not be nicer. 1 piece of advice: When the daily specials are recited table side, pricing is not part of the spiel. Ask what they cost, otherwise you may be in for a shock. This past visit I had the soft shells on special. They (2) were delicious, but small and nothing else really going on the plate. $30.00...ouch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good findcarelle214VIPDined on 7/30/2014We are always looking for restaurants in the Bala Cynwyd area. This is a very good one. Since is on a side street, I tend to forget about it. The food was very good And certainly would return.Special Features:
- EnjoyableJrwaringDined on 7/20/2014First time. Food was tasty. Service was exceptional- they knew their stuff and enjoyed their job! Solid experience. Will go back! Somewhat confusing as their website doesn't say they are open on Sundays, but OT let us make a reservation. They also don't look open at first arrival!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014The food is pretty good, a little bit pricy. good thing is byobI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014We stumbled up Pescatore and had an amazing dinner! We brought our own wine as the restaurant in byob! Will definitely be back when we are in Philly!Special Features:
- Friendly place with great foodauntnancyVIPDined on 7/11/2014We went to Pescatore to celebrate a birthday. The service was outstanding, but the true highlight of the evening was the great food.Special Features:
- DJRjrVIPDined on 7/5/2014Excellent BYOB with plenty of good options to choose from ;Our group of 4 was completely satisfied with our selections ; The Braised beef /porcini raviolis was delicious .Ordinarily you have to make reservations weeks ahead of time but during the summer months a lot of the usual customers are away so it's a good time to takle advantage of open tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous!frequentdinerVIPDined on 7/3/2014This is a regular spot for us and we have never had a bad experience. The food is always perfect. Service is exceptional. When I want Italian this is where I go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedJazzyDined on 7/3/2014The food was very well prepared but uninspired. Staff was very helpful and accommodating. Very noisy.Special Features:
- Lived Up To Expectations & MoreMike10QDined on 6/28/2014We had recommendations for the restaurant from several friends. We invited other friends to join us and were overwhelmed by the friendly service and great good. A must for locals and othersSpecial Features:
- EatingoutDined on 6/26/2014Everything (food,service, atmosphere) was great. Although a little more expensive than it should have been, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant on the main lineTucciDined on 6/26/2014This is the best restaurant on the Main Line. We basically don't go anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caring ItalianCooLinDined on 6/25/2014Dined with a friend for the first time. Didn't realize it is a BYOB. The people at the next table shared their wine with us. Very attentive staff. Good, solid Italian. I had brazino and my friend had pasta. Both delicious. Would go again if in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Glad I found thistimpoozDined on 6/24/2014I needed a romantic but not-too-fancy spot for a date night. We were headed next to the Mann Music Center so the location is perfect (10 minutes max). This is just what I was looking for, and really there is nothing else comparable in the area, which has mostly fast food chains. The wife was impressed that I planned this on my own. It's BYO, so bring a bottle of red!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulhayes86VIPDined on 6/24/2014Our meals were simply delicious! Pescatore never disappoints!!Special Features:
- Expensive, but worth itMssWDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I live in the neighborhood and finally got around to walking to Pescatore for dinner. A reservation is needed -- this place is packed on most weekend evenings. I had heard it was expensive, relatively speaking, and we found that to be true. But the food was great and fresh, so we were prepared. It was about $100 for both of us -- and remember, that's without alcohol -- and we shared the ceasar salad before our entrees. This restaurant is also small with just one major dining room. So when it's full, it's a bit loud. You can still talk and have a conversation, but as the evening got later, the lessening din was welcome.Special Features:
- airlawDined on 6/13/2014Every appetizer and entrée is great. The service is prompt and courteous and the general manager is very accommodating. This is one of the best restaurants in Philadelphia without any doubt. The pricing is appropriate.Special Features: