Pescatore on Bala
134 Bala Avenue
Bala-Cynwyd, PA 19004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Pescatore on Bala
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pescatorebyob.com/
- Phone: (610) 660-9400
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday - Sunday at 5:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Anastasi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout
A word from Pescatore on Bala
Pescatore specializes in Italian Cuisine with a rustic, Mediterranean flair. Pastas are made fresh each day, and all fish is caught and brought to your plate directly from the boat.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Pescatore on Bala - Best Restaurants in Bala-Cynwyd ›
Pescatore on Bala reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (91)fit for foodies (62)special occasion (42)romantic (21)good for groups (15)hot spot (12)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- neighborhood keeperneighborhoodgemDined on 11/18/2014despite the large noisy family table next to us, the ambiance was nice...particularly once they left. The waiter was very quick to deliver a huge slew of specials and needed to be reminded to include the prices of those specials. Food was good, and they were willing to make amendmentsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014LIked the food. You need to do something about the draft of wind that comes from the opening of the front door.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great staff. Excellent 4 small group!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Really like this place. Very accommodating. Great staff and food. Easy parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meal With a Few FaultsblendedlibVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our first time at Pescatore. They took us to our table right away and we were immediately approached by our waiter. There were a good number of specials. The bread was not particularly good - especially for an italian restaurant. All the food was good and the service was fine. We were surprised to hear the bolognese dish had dairy in it (butter and milk). A bit on the pricey side for an italian restaurant (avg entrees 20-25 instead of 13-20) so we are wondering how it gets 2 dollar signs on open table. Worth a try. I'll probably return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Batting a 1000!FoodloverDined on 11/8/2014We have been to Pescatore about six times over the past couple of years. It is a go to place where we take friends and have never been disappointed. The servers are pleasant and helpful, don't rush you through dinner. Food presentation is appealing and delicious. We look forward to dining there again soon.Special Features:
- Outstanding!SSKGDined on 11/6/2014Pescatore is a wonderful restaurant located just outside the Philadelphia city limits and worth the trip. Chef Thomas's creations are amazing. Our favorites are the charred octopus and his famous ossa bucco. The staff is incredibly attentive and welcoming. We return every time we are in Ohiladelphia. You should too!Special Features:
- MayerVIPDined on 11/6/2014Great neighborhood restaurant, good food reasonable prices. A $25.00 "early bird" 3 course dinner is a real bargain. BYO. Very pleasant staff. The chef will prepare it to your liking !Special Features:
- foodieDined on 11/1/2014Consistently good food with an appealing menu. The bronzino was excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. If they could do something about the noise level .........Special Features:
- Once Again WonderfulcrackcrabVIPDined on 10/31/2014This BYOB is wonderfully delicious! We enjoyed the Caesar salad flatbread with seafood, just as abundant and wonderful as before. My man got the mixed ocean grill - he thought it was good, but the lobster needed some more flavor. I had the Butternut squash ravoli with scallops in a white wine sauce - delicious! The huge chocolate cake was so chocolaty, it satisfied our sweet craving. We drank our wine, conversed with the staff and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Our thanks to the chef and the staff.Special Features:
- Lack Of ConsistencyGuestVIPDined on 10/31/2014I have eaten at Pescatore several times and their lack of consistency is what prevents me from being able to recommend this restaurant. I ordered the Branzino special with crab meat. While the restaurant is not well lit it was almost impossible to see or find the crab meat. I asked to have the mashed potatoes replaced with a double order of vegetables. What came on the plate were over cooked, soggy asparagus on one side and over cooked beans on the other. Both were cold while the fish was tepid. Our seats were right near the kitchen so there is no excuse for this especially at this price point.
- Consistently TerrificjojokligVIPDined on 10/29/2014Consistently Terrific. Grilled octopus is particularly delicious! Make a reservation now!Special Features:
- Favorate PlaceNeighborhood1DinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Dinner at Pescatore's is never disappointing. We are not adventurous and usually get the same thing despite some of the very tantalizing specials and items on the menu. Always exceptional. We have brought our family to the restaurant for family special events. All of our guests rave about their meal. The owner's mother is very welcoming and hospitable. Frank, the manager, always makes you feel like you are a VIP. The wait staff and bussers are also very nice. We've had Giovanni a few times as our waiter and he is extremely good at his job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood BYOBmainlinedinerVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great neighborhood BYOB! Service was terrific as was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerFlowers13VIPDined on 10/7/2014My dinner was really good! I think the menu is a little pricey! The service was really good! The one complaint I have was when I called the restaurant to ask about credit cards I was told they accept them but rather have cash! I thought that was rude!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentPentimentoVIPDined on 10/5/2014Five for dinner. Everything from the appetizer flatbread to the fish, sea bass and branzino; the meat, lamb shank and short ribs and the lobster pasta was beautifully prepared and delicious. Our guests were jealous that we had such a great local restaurant.Special Features:
- Very good placefreddiemerionDined on 10/2/2014This modest yet refined BYOB in the village of Bala in Bala Cynwyd offers excellent food and satisfactory, if not great, service. The menu is diverse and interesting, although the chef seems to think that adding crabmeat to a dish makes it more exotic and tasty, whereas in fact the dishes without the crabmeat would be wonderful, given his obvious capability with seasonings. It's gilding the lily. For instances, I had a branzino entree with crabmeat which was very good, but branzino has a special delicacy all of its own which is excellent just sautéed with lemon and pepper. The crabmeat masked the fish's delicate flavor more than it enhanced the dish. All this said, we will go back.Special Features:
- the best of the bestbnissanVIPDined on 9/27/2014The service selection and quality ,are second to none!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wasn't blow away by the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The appetizers were better than the entrees. I wasn't impressed with how they handled groups during Restaurant Week. They insisted that the entire table had to either order from the fixed-price menu or the regular menu. They didn't accomodate different choices - that seemed chintsy to me.Special Features:
- Noisy PescatoreluvmenueDined on 9/27/2014A wonderful neighborhood restaurant that is still noisy. Customers forget how to use their indoor voices.Special Features:
- A nice experienceJWagDined on 9/26/2014We chose this restaurant solely on their menu, so I had no doubt the food would be good. Better yet, the food was fabulous! The staff were all friendly and made our time there an enjoyable one. Extra bonus is it's BYOB so your bill won't sky rocket from ordering drinks. I'd definitely go back!Special Features:
- reneeDined on 9/21/2014Nice comfortable place with very good food. Like it alot.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 9/20/2014Food was great. We often patronize this restaurant. Portions seem to be getting smaller.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SSKGDined on 9/18/2014Outstanding is the best word to describe our dining experience. Best ossabussco ever! Grilled octopus was incredible too! Thomas is an amazing chef supported by a equally talented souschef, Anthony. Service was (and always is) wonderful - attentive, engaging and helpful when choosing from a full menu and evening specials. Dina and Giavanni are our favorites. Worth the trip out of Philly to find this gem of a BYOB in Bala Cynwyd!Special Features:
- watch the billbridgeguyDined on 9/14/2014We've been several times, and enjoy the restaurant. Yesterday we had a group of 6 and all enjoyed the food and the service. However, when the check came our official "check checker" noticed that her entree was $2 more than the menu price. Upon further examination several other entrees were also higher. The waitress was unaware of the issue. The manager took care of the problem, apologized and said that there was a glitch following the Labor Day changes. They raised their prices for Labor Day?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodpleasanteveningDined on 9/13/2014My friends and I enjoyed our meal very much. The food was very good and the service friendly and helpful. The ambiance is pleasant.Special Features:
- PardDined on 9/11/2014The service and food were exceptional. We were celebrating a B-Day and all had had a great, fun evening. I would highly recommend this gem.Special Features:
- enjoy this little placeneighborhoodgemDined on 9/10/2014Intimate dining with nice food selection. Pastas were quite delicious and portions large. Very convenient to the main line neighborhoods who don't want to go into town...parking isn't goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish- Many OptionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My friend and I, for the second time, chose Bala Ave. for a food adventure. We both had appetizers: she- eggplant tower which she said was "very good". I- buratta stuffed with broccoli rabe and seasonal tomatoes which was creamy, beautiful, huge (I could only manage half) with very little flavor, almost overwhelming eye appeal. She ordered salmon with risotto which was not on the menu. The salmon of the day had sauce with shellfish. She made a good decision. It was very good. I had the bronzino in sauce. The fish had the skin. There was a large amount of fish covered in a large amount of white wine sauce and crab- too much fish, too much sauce, but tasty.Special Features:
- Consistenly excellenthungryVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have been here at least 6 times and it only gets better each time.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTableGirlDined on 9/10/2014I had not been to Pescatore in awhile. The appetizer and entrée offerings were great. Service, food, and ambience were very good. There was a nice buzz for a Wednesday evening in the suburbs. My friend and I split their meatball appetizer that is a clear specialty of the kitchen. The nice size meatballs (2) were amazing, a beef, pork and veal combination. Salmon and branzino entrees were very nice. My friend accidentally left her cell phone and did not realize until she got back into the city. Since she was already back home and could not return that evening, our waiter offered to drop the phone at the desk of her apartment building at the end of his evening. That made for extremely gracious service and attention to customers.Special Features:
- A little disappointingFoodfanVIPDined on 9/6/2014Maybe it was my bad choice of entree, but I left feeling disappointed in our evening out. My husband raved about his short ribs and ravioli but I didn't enjoy my pappardelle and lobster pasta dish at all. The lobster was a bit overcooked and therefore too chewy, and the pappardelle was drowning in red sauce. The prosciutto stuffed with crabmeat appetizer was interesting though, and the tiramisu was delicious. And of course, it is BYO!Special Features:
- We love Pescatore on BalaLuvphillyDined on 9/6/2014We love to eat at Pescatore on Bala. The food is always delicious and the service excellent. We always feel as if we are "at home" having a great Italian dinner. This is difficult to accomplish with real Italians! Lol. We are never disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great all around experience!bethysueDined on 9/3/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was excellent, not everyday fare. The ambiance was simple and understated but very comfortable. It was full on a Wednesday night! The service was great; the food came out in a timely manner and the servers themselves were very attentive without overdoing it. It's great to have this more sophisticated restaurant in our neighborhood, without having to go into the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ScientistfoodieDined on 9/3/2014I have been to Pescatore several times and it never disappoint (well, except during restaurant week with the mass produced bland dishes, but don't them all? Argh). Anyways, the food was super fresh and delicious. Seafood is their specialty and for a reason. The grilled octopus was soft like butter, the Caesar salad had lots of crab (not the usual 3 strings), and the fish (we had flounder and the branzino) were both super tasty (with is one of my pet peeves when fish tastes like nothing). Prices are one the higher side; most main dishes are in the upper 20's, but it's a BYOB, so make sure to bring a red and a white so you can enjoy they whole gamma of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShoshannaShoshannaDined on 8/28/2014A very nice byob with a delicious menu and presentation. Highly recommend for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!DreamerVIPDined on 8/24/2014I have dined here 3 times in the last month. Each time has been a wonderful dining experience. The menu is creative and the food is delicious!Special Features:
- Great meal in a great little spotPhillyMovieGoerDined on 8/23/2014Had dinner prior to heading out for an evening concert. Dinner was excellent and I think it is nice to bring my own bottle of wine. Atmosphere was cozy and the service was very good as well. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Mangia Bene!luv2eatVIPDined on 8/23/2014Pescatore serves some of the best Italian food in the Philly suburbs. The crab and prosciutto appetizer was so outstanding that we tried to duplicate it at home (did not come close!). The Veal Pavarotti was a generous portion of chunks of veal in a delicious red sauce complete with cheese and veggies. The flatbread special, topped with lump crabmeat, was unique and so flavorful. Portion sizes of all courses are large, so we shared the Tartufo for dessert and topped off the meal with very well-made cappuccinos. Prices are reasonable, especially for the quality of the cooking and the portion sizes. And did I mention that Pescatore is a BYOB? Kudos to the chef. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- AwesomeJShultzDined on 8/21/2014I took my wife for her birthday. She loves Italian food. The rustic Italian was fantastic and the service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth going back toEatingWellAsSportDined on 8/20/2014After hearing rave reviews, we tried this neighborhood restaurant that is conveniently located in the suburbs. My husband and I enjoyed the food but did not find anything particularly remarkable about it. My husband had pasta bolognese and I had octopus salad which was very good and Branzino which was good, but not better than I could have prepared at home. It is absolutely worth trying again. And we will...Special Features: