Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant
100 Pollock St
New Bern, NC 28560Neighborhood:
Contemporary SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.persimmonsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2525140033x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Saturday and Sunday 11:00am -4:00pm Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday 5-9pm Friday and Saturday 5-9:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Southern
- Executive Chef: Gerry Fong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant
Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant in Historic Downtown New Bern offers an Award Winning Chef featuring foods from our local farmers, and New Bern's only waterfront dining with exquisite river scenery located on the Neuse River.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant - Best Restaurants in New Bern ›
Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (48)great for outdoor dining (44)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (30)good for groups (18)romantic (17)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (11)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- Food was greatbellringerDined on 10/10/2014It was too dark outside for the view, but the food was excellent. One in our party had a dairy allergy and the options were extremely limited - until they offered to leave sauces off fish. 6 people in our party and everyone ordered something different - no complaints from anyone!Special Features:
- Don't Miss This Place!!Iamzeke610Dined on 10/10/2014Took my wife for her birthday. This was THE best meal we've enjoyed over the past several years. Every item was delicious and unique. Words are hard to find to tell how delicious tge food was. The calamari was light and tender... dusted in rice flour not to mention the unique Mardarin orange-based salsa. The citrus & herb scallops were noteworthy. The scalloped sweet potatoe side dish was phenomenal. And the creme brûlée dessert was to die for. Oh, did I mention the complimentary chocolate truffles served with the bill? Truly a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday DinnernapnapDined on 10/5/2014Persimmons is always on my list of favorite restaurents. Jerry Fong is the greatest chef. You must try his " Fried Green Tomatoes"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view but food needs improvingENCFamilyDined on 10/1/2014Expected too much from the food after a great crab dip appetizer. Very disappointed in our meals. Steaks were fatty, pasta and shrimp had little flavor. For the price we expected much better. Service and view were great, but for the price the food should have been outstanding.Special Features:
- David DOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014We went for a late dinner and were very pleasantly surprised. The ambiance is upscale, service was very attentive and the food was perfectly prepared and delicious.Special Features:
- A Gem in New BernNCfoodieDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I dined at Persimmons on Saturday night for the first time and were really impressed. We love to eat out at great places in Napa, Chicago, and New York and were pleasantly surprised that Persimmons' food compared with some great places around the country. We had the filet and the lamb lollipops--both were outstanding. Service was very friendly and helpful. View of the waterfront was beautiful and romantic. The one small critique we had was that the regular wine list is just ok; that being said, when they were out of a bottle we ordered, the manager came back with a reserve list and cut us a deal on the last bottle of a fantastic Napa wine that was really delicious. We would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassyEchoDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant was a fantastic find in New Bern! The view is beautiful and the food is fantastic. We loved the enthusiasm of our server (Demitrius) He knew the menu well and was very attentive without hovering. The food was classy without being over-done; the menu has nice variety. We chose to have the cheese plate for dessert - it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Toward the end of summerMaureenDined on 8/30/2014We live in Trent Woods and have eaten at Persimmons many times since opening. Last Saturday nite a little disappointing: ahi was stringy and soft and cornflake crust over sweet and pasty. Hot sauce (tabasco??) on sushi rice clashed with wasabi bechamal. Veggies over-cooked. My companions had the gumbo which they said was very good. This restaurant strives for farm to fork but for this price ($25+/entree alone without even a salad) should not serve substandard produce or seafood even at the end of the summer. Wine list always has some fun surprises. You pay for location, there is nothing better than deck. Preferable to dining room when next table has screaming infant. Wait staff always great even when overwhelmed.Special Features:
- Great little gem on the Neuse RiverDusty2dineDined on 8/29/2014Absolutely fantastic gourmet food that will satisfy anyone's pallet. The atmosphere and service are exceptional. The location offers magnificent views of the Neuse River front. If you're in the New Bern area, this restaurant is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting; food just so-so!TarheelDined on 8/28/2014I have had drinks at this restaurant in the past when visiting New Bern. This visit, I decide to have dinner. Was able to make a last minute reservation and requested outside dining. I believe I received the last table, which was right on the water. I ordered the crab cake sandwich, which was suppose to be made using jumbo lump crab. Maybe it was before they "minced" it. It was just okay. The Asian slaw side dish was not fresh. There was entertainment that night on the deck and two people came over to ask me if and when I was leaving so they could take my table. This is suppose to be a nice restaurant. Seems like they could handle this differently. I did not stay for dessert. Would recommend Persimmons because of the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Persimmons-Fabulous!HappyDinerDined on 8/28/2014Service by 'Michael' was amazing. He was attentive, made excellent recommendations, friendly. Food was incredible - taste, texture, presentation. Atmosphere - Cannot say enough about how beautiful this place is! Highly recommend. I've seen bad reviews about restaurant, or not great reviews... I don't know where that could possibly be coming from. Every table that surrounded us you can overhear their comments of how wonderful everything was, and complimenting the chef or wait staff. My husband and I even said that we would definitely come back to New Bern just to enjoy this restaurant, the food, and atmosphere again. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to perfectSuzyQDined on 8/26/2014We arrived a bit early but were seated within fifteen minutes at a rather small table but the dining room was crowded and there were only two of us. I ordered the rack of lamb and my husband had the petite filet. While we were waiting for our food I saw two orders of lamb being sent back to the kitchen for being "rare" when the diner had order medium. When our food came my husband''s was perfect and he really enjoyed it. My lamb looked well done on the outside but was closer to rare on the inside. I chose to eat it rather than return it. It was alright. Only complaint, very loud dining room, which detracts from the otherwise pleasant atmosphere. Our waiter explained he was new to the job but did very well in taking good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant lunch experienceWilmaDined on 8/22/2014It was too hot to sit outside which normally I prefer, but the inside table was very pleasant not too noisy as sometimes this restaurant tends to become. The food and service were excellent A pleasant and relaxing lunch.Special Features:
- Weekend trip to New BerndennisdogDined on 8/16/2014We went here to celebrate my husbands' birthday. The whole dining experience was a delight! Loved it all!Special Features:
- Great choicesbrewjack98Dined on 8/16/2014Love that the foods are locally sourced! We tried several different dishes. The shrimp and grits were amazing, as was the peach cobbler!Special Features:
- TravelingSandyDined on 8/9/2014Seafood was fresh and delicious with a beautiful presentation. Pecan crusted shrimp for appetizer--yum!!Special Features:
- Bel emplacementholinoneVIPDined on 8/3/2014Nous sommes allés dîner dans ce restaurant avec nos 4 enfants. Le dîner était correct mais pas exceptionnel. Le service idem, correct mais pas exceptionnel. Nous avons commandé une viande saignante, elle est arrivée trop cuite. Mais c'est classique aux Etats-Unis. Les desserts en revanche étaient excellents. Nous avions des coupons avec notre hôtel, mais le serveur a joué le jeu au minimum.Special Features:
- A Real PleasureGGmanDined on 7/31/2014We visited New Bern for the day and had a wonderful lunch meal experience. The food was outstanding, in particular the "Trent" sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Town Gemarda12Dined on 7/30/2014New Bern is a small City with many good eateries but only a few Fine restaurants. Fortunately Persimmons, one of the fine ones, has an innovative chef, great waterfront location and wonderful staff. Am never disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteMumzieDined on 7/22/2014A lovely place to meet family and friends traveling through the area. Good food, good drinks, good service and good for conversation.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary SpotJaxMahanDined on 7/19/2014We LOVED the farmer's lasagna and the scalloped sweet potatoes, but the crab dip was AWESOME! The fried green tomato tower was huge. The appetizers really do serve 2-3. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Diamond in the EastwillcomebackDined on 7/19/2014The folks at this restaurant seem to do a good job of balancing between exploring new ideas and delivering on the tried-and-true. Love the local focus - which the kitchen executes well and the service delivers!Special Features:
- Underwhelming!EnteringNicknameisSillyVIPDined on 7/13/2014Server was courteous, responsive, and attentive. The kitchen disappointed. Overseasoned and overcooked fish, and not enough of the rice or vegetable accompaniments. Not sure why. The fried green tomato appetizer was the best thing. Nice spot overlooking the water, but it must have been a real off night. Worth trying again because others (reviews) have said it was so good. Sunday nights are almost always a bad idea for seafood restaurants so will go again during the week or on a weekend day. Varied and nice wine menu but needs vintages listed for wines.Special Features:
- WowNC717Dined on 7/12/2014What an amazing experience - beautiful food, fantastic service (thanks Kristen!) and awesome atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great viewLarryBDined on 7/11/2014The best attribute is the view. Not a great place if you want to talk as the high open ceiling makes for a lot of noise. The burgers were good, as was the Cobb salad, but the prices are more "big city" than deserved.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemJimODined on 7/9/2014The food and service is excellent. You cannot go wrong, regardless of your choice from the extensive menu. The outside dining, on the the water is very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterfront Wonderful!CharlottevisitorDined on 7/5/2014First rate dining on beautiful waterfront. Farm to table concept done creatively with Asian influence prevalent. Well coordinated waitstaff. Dockside boat tie ups available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waterfront restaurantDennisDined on 7/2/2014This was a great find. While the calamari was breaded and fried, it was a most delicate breading and the calamari was fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Congrats to Chef Jerry FongInnkeeper215VIPDined on 7/1/2014Wow, it is incredibly exciting that Chef Gerry Fong competed on the Food Network's Cutthroat Kitchen and won!!! It's truly one of the greatest "foodie facts" for our town. My Crabcake Sandwich was excellent with lots of crab and not too much filler, the most common failure of Crabcakes. Salmon dish was also really good, a beautifully composed plate with Polenta and Brussel Sprouts. The sauce was mango bechamel and with candied ginger...very delicious. Service was good, but could have been better. Drink glasses were not always refilled promptly and at one point, I had to stop eating because I needed something to drink. The excitement of Cutthroat Kitchen has rallied interest in Persimmon and we'll return.Special Features:
- Great Riverside DiningrickoDined on 6/29/2014Good food, great views but a little expensive especially for cocktails. The lower deck outside makes you feel like you dining on your boat. A little noisy inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical waterfront spotcsreviewDined on 6/28/2014Persimmon's was a wonderful surprise! the interior is clean-lines, letting the great view do the work. No nets and crabs on the wall. whew. and the menu is a great change of pace. everything seemed prepared with fresh ingredients and care. local black grouper special was cooked perfectly. didn't care for the chutney but just moved it to the side and thoroughly enjoyed the entree. Nice wine selection and lovely staff. They even brought a yummy chocolate treat because I mentioned that I wasn't a fan of the chutney. The place seemed to be a mix of locals and visitors. We were there on the early side so there were several families. The outdoor deck area is lovely, but can be very windy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner on the waterNBFoodieDined on 6/25/2014We are regular diners here and as usual, the food was excellent, and the sunset on the deck was superb. Location, location, location! Fried green tomato stack and fish tacos were delicious and, unlike most fine dining restaurants, all portions are more than ample. Highly recommend persimmons for either lunch or dinner. Now that it is summer, my only suggestion would be to have the bar and outside deck open earlier than 5:00, say maybe 4:00. I don't want to lose an hour of that gorgeous view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 87 reviews are from the Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant reviews archive.
- Delicious fried green tomatoes!encfoodieDined on 6/21/2014We had a great meal -- delicious caesar salad, Scottish salmon, and local burgers, among other items. The fried green tomato special was yummy too! The only thing lacking was the usual chocolate truffles after the meal -- we love those!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Findkes601Dined on 6/20/2014Enjoyed our dinner so much the first night we were in New Bern that we went back the second night we were there. Awesome find, looking forward to making it back someday.Special Features:
- By the water...BythewaterDined on 6/20/2014Great view by the water, with boats pulling up from time to time. Atmosphere was professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday nights in summer.....SteveDined on 6/19/2014Might not be the best night. Very busy with live entertainment on the deck. So busy that my before dinner drink never arrived because the bar was "slammed." One of the downsides of interior dining here is the noise level. I can't imagine having a romantic, intimate dinner when one has to practically shout. That aside, the food was creative and delicious and the wine superb. We had the tomato tower special and a very intriguing pulled lamb dish with a delicious polenta. Our server was engaging and did an excellent job of managing the wait times for food, etc.Special Features:
- Fish-less tacos?lhmiVIPDined on 6/17/2014Four diners: three happy and one disappointed. The fish tacos were almost nothing but frissee lettuce on three corn tortillas. A tablespoon of black beans and a few grains of corn. One tortilla had one small bite of fish, a second tortilla had two small bite-size pieces of fish, and the third tortilla had NO fish at all. Other diners' burgers and fish and chips were quite good, but don't order the fish tacos.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening at PersimmonsBob1Dined on 6/12/2014Greatly enjoyed an evening here while visiting New Bern. Lovely river views but did not get to enjoy the Thursday evening band or eat on the outside deck due to thunderstorms. The service was friendly and excellent even with a large crowd. There was no push to turn the table which allowed us a long leisurely evening with good friends and great food. The drinks from the bar were good but the mixology varied over the evening as the crowd in the bar increased. Our group enjoyed the Scottish salmon, the ahi tuna and a grouper special, all of which were deliciously prepared with very appealing visual presentation. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Windy DayJoeMcDined on 6/8/2014We went to Persimmons for dinner. When we left home to go the weather seemed fine, but when we got to the restaurant the wind had really picked up. We had requested outside seating but were questioning our choice. However, the air conditioning was so cold, we opted to stick with the outside seating. We froze in the wind and had some lettuce leaves actually blow off the table. The food was well prepared, the view was very nice and the service was friendly. Just remember to take a jacket or sweater if you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2014I appreciated the fact that they purchase food from local farmers as much as possible. The food was excellent. You can't beat the location and view. It was a little chilly to be outside but the view was amazing from inside as well.Special Features: