7003 Wisconsin Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20815Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.persimmonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (301) 654-9860
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner -
Tuesday - Friday 11 am - 9:45 pm
Saturday 5 pm - 9:45 pm
Sunday 11 am - 9 pm
Sunday Brunch 11 am - 2 pm
CLOSED MONDAYS AND SATURDAY AFTERNOONS
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Damian Salvatore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Persimmon can accommodate specialized catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Persimmon can accommodate reservations for large parties and offers additional options for private and semi-private dining events.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Darnall - Megan@persimmonrestaurant.com (301) 654-9860x
A word from Persimmon
Newly renovated Persimmon is bringing a more bistro vibe to the neighborhood offering up unforgettable favorites along with a handful of fresh new fares!Continued
Bring an appetite for great food & wine, bistro design, and a few less dimes!
Let's Gather & Eat!
Bring an appetite for great food & wine, bistro design, and a few less dimes!
Let's Gather & Eat!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Persimmon reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (70)special occasion (27)great for lunch (21)romantic (10)notable wine list (9)good for groups (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Fantastic menuJkvioladcDined on 11/23/2014This place is not to be missed. Fantastic food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- less than greatsputnikDined on 11/16/2014I had dinner at Persimmon and everything I tasted sounded promising on the menu, but just did not deliver. The arugula salad dressing was too sour and one-note, the seaweed in the tuna/avocado tartare clashed with the rest of the dish and the tuna didn't taste very fresh. I ordered apple crisp for dessert and only the surface of the crisp was somewhat warm, the apples were colder than room temperature. Somebody other than customers should probably taste the food every so often to make sure that the concepts were properly realized. I had much cheaper and more satisfying meals in many other restaurants.
- Neighbor5Dined on 11/14/2014My wife and I had an excellent Friday night dinner. So glad it's back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another extra base hitWineYahooVIPDined on 11/12/2014Took out-of-town family to Persimmon (located in the old Johnny Young storefront) for a trip down memory lane in old Bethesda where we grew up…food and service was again great. Thought the wasabi oysters a bit too much - less is more with oysters. Otherwise, top notch meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fun time!KrillerDined on 11/12/2014We can always count on Persimmon -- the food, the ambiance and the service are very dependable. We've been there so often we always receive a warm welcome. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Persimmon reduxElizabethDined on 11/11/2014We used to thoroughly enjoy Persimmon the first time around and were sad to see it closed for a while. We enjoyed lunch there recently in the renovated Persimmon. Luckily I only saw one side of the menu because everything looked so good I had a hard enough time making up my mind. As it was I settled on fish tacos, my husband had lobster rolls, friends had pulled pork sandwich and crab cakes. The portion size was good, enough to fill you up but not to intimidate. The fish tacos were among the best I've had at a restaurant with moist fish, tangy slaw and a very slight hot red sauce. The lobster rolls and crab cake were full of the real ingredient, not fillers. The pulled pork was moist with just enough sauce. It was a lovely lunch.Special Features:
- One of the Best in Bethsda!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014Five stars. We were celebrating a birthday and Persimmon was a perfect choice. Everyone loved their appetizers, drinks, main dishes and deserts. Everything was fresh and the service was excellent. Since the food was so over the top and we felt spoiled, only one minor issue: the indoor tables are somewhat cramped. However, they have plenty of outdoor seating which I would choose next time we return. This is not for cheap eats but you get what you pay for. Added bonus: There is plenty of parking behind the restaurant and weekends are free. Thank you!Special Features:
- Reliable1marylandDined on 11/8/2014Always enjoy a meal here. We were entertaining friends. Noise level okay, but luckily our table was separated from the neighbor's more than usual. Table was not ready when we arrived, so we sat at the bar - which is fine. I was asked what I wanted, then served without giving me a drink/wine list. Guess I wasn't fast enough.Special Features:
- tatacatDined on 11/7/2014The food is excellent. The noise is excessive. The dining room (not the booths) is pleasant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Hadn't been here in many years and everything was very good from the pan seared scallop app to the full rack of lamb entree. Service was great and ambience is nice....my only complaint is the wood seating is not very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2014I went hear during lunch while construction was going on so business was slow. I was their for a special event with a significant other and it was a great choice - very creative menu, great service, could ask for more. Try to trout egg rolls - quite unique. People seem to be there for everything from a great looking cheeseburger and fries to more creative dishes like the pecan crusted lamb chops with a tower of potatoes gratin infused with a real branch of rosemary that I checked out and enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet friendsSallyDined on 10/31/2014This was a great place to meet a friend to catch up. The food was delicious, it was nice and quiet, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImprovementTravelerVIPDined on 10/30/2014My wife and I have eaten at Persimmon dozens of times. The food and atmosphere are good -- nothing exceptional but solid. The one area needed for improvement is the service. It often seems like the restaurant does not have sufficient help in serving and busing the tables -- as was the occasion this past Friday. Consequently, there is a bit of a frantic atmosphere and delay taking orders/serving food. One hopes that is not a financial decision by ownership.
- Dripping fish tacosRWoodBVIPDined on 10/29/2014This was the first time that I have had a disappointing dish at Persimmon. While the tuna tartare was excellent, the fish tacos were dripping moisture on the plate and difficult to eat while keeping one's shirt clean. No dish should come out of the kitchen without visual inspection. l will return, but I will avoid this dish and will reject any other that comes out in an unacceptable condition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Fun Atmosphere!bsd123Dined on 10/25/2014Went to Persimmon for our anniversary and it didn't disappoint. The atmosphere is nice, it feels like a bustling bistro on a Saturday night. You shouldn't expect to walk-in and sit down. I recommend reservations. The cocktails were delicious - we had fresh mango-tinis and LOVED it. We ordered tuna and avocado tartar to share and start the meal and it was fresh and delicious. I ordered the Sautéed Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes with Bacon Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Corn Hash and Sweet Corn Sauce. I have had this entree before and it is always tasty. My hubby ordered the short ribs and he was very happy with it. We were full but wanted something sweet so we ordered the warm molten chocolate cake...a great way to end a truly yummy meal together!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner and atmosphereLEGGDined on 10/24/2014We loved our dinner at Persimmon. Food was great and atmosphere is great as well. I particularly liked that it was not so pretentious as so many restaurants have become! The waiter was warm and friendly and it had a nice neighborhood feel, while at the same time serving food that was really fresh and well prepared. Bravo, we will be back!Special Features:
- Never disappointed.patronVIPDined on 10/24/2014Still the go to place for an elegant dining experience that never fails to offer outstanding cuisine.Special Features:
- reliably good foodlocalVIPDined on 10/19/2014Persimmon has provided wonderful food for years. The remodel has provided somewhat lackluster booths, but they make conversation easier. Our recent dinner of fish of the day suffered from overly pan sauteed fish, red snapper that was quite dry, very disappointing for what typically is a great restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/16/2014Great food. Wonderful presentation. Nice atmosphere - good for conversation. Just great!Special Features:
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/11/2014Year in, year out, this friendly place delivers creative, high quality food and an excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PersimmonOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/11/2014Persimmon is consistently wonderful from the service to the food to the ambiance. Whether we sit at the bar or at a table, we always have great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beeat2muchDined on 9/21/2014This used to be a very nice restaurant. It's been redecorated and the menu has changed. Both are now much less interesting. We had dinner there a few months ago that was very ordinary. This past weekend we had brunch there only because they started serving at 11. I ordered the eggs benedict with salmon, orange juice and home fries. They were out of salmon, so they substituted prosciutto. I sent the OJ and home fries back, because the OJ was old and bitter and the home fries were soggy and drowning in oil. We won't go back.
- Well worth the walk from MetropragmaticgourmetVIPDined on 9/18/2014We schlepped over after work, before a Round House Theatre performance. Took about 10 minutes to walk down Wisconsin. The location is not great, which may be the reason we could walk into the place and around 6 on a Thursday night and find plenty of empty tables. The food and service were stellar, and were Persimmon located in the heart of happenings in Landmark Row, you'd have to reserve far in advance for prime time tables. The starters menu had some creative dishes that we plan to go back and try, but we stuck with a special entree and a standard--halibut with polenta and oyster mushrooms, and lamb chops. Both dishes were perfection. And served up by a friendly waiter who kept an attentive eye on us but never intruded. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner friendlyRWoodBVIPDined on 9/14/2014No MoCo restaurant does mussels better. Also very good are the salads, especially the beet and goat cheese. Ask if one can substitute something in a dish and be give several choices. The list of wines by the glass has some very good and reasonable priced options. The only think I would change is the coffee.Special Features:
- Perfect Family Mealzorro54Dined on 9/11/2014When my parents came to visit me in the DC area from out of town, I was looking for a neighborhood American restaurant that serves well eecuted classics and strong martinis. Persimmon was perfect. Our waiter was extremely friendly and energetic and was quick to offer excellent recommendations. We all got delicious appetizers and entrees. I had a special blackened swordfish over mango salsa that was incredible. We were not rushed at all and had a really lovely dining experience. My only complaint is that the space could have been a little bit cozier. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- UnderwhelminggebairDined on 9/10/2014Having read a recent review from the Washington Post food critic that was quite positive, we are looking forward to a night out here. Boy were we disappointed. At 7:00 pm, the place was not all that crowded, but the service was slow and lackluster. For a neighborhood restaurant, the prices were high and the food only mediocre. The fried oysters were cold and soggy. The halibut was good, I will concede. With no dessert and a couple of glasses of middling wine, the bill was over $120. Dessert was not ordered. Bread came to other tables, but not to ours! We will not be returning anytime soon.
- JacquesDined on 9/9/2014Food and service were quite good. Wines were half-price the day (Tuesday) we went. We ate outside so there was traffic noise (not surprisingly). Can't really rate ambiance as we weren't in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, lackluster serviceLadyDiDined on 9/7/2014While the food at Persimmon is very good, the wait staff is indifferent at best, bordering on negligent. The servers change throughout the meal and seem unconcerned about one's dining experience. One example is that we had to ask for bread twice. But it's more a matter of general indifference. Also, the wine list is unduly pricey.Special Features:
- Restaurant has changedmccallDined on 9/7/2014My husband and used to go to this restaurant all the time. For awhile they were closed-I think a change in management. We went back recently and it just wasn't the same. We felt the staff was very cold. The food was still good, but the overall service has changed. We were very disappointed.
- Very good for seafoodRWoodBVIPDined on 9/4/2014Persimmon does a particularly good job with salmon, tuna, scallops, and mussels. The ingredients are very good and the kitchen knows how to work with them. The wine list is brief, but well chosen and reasonably priced. The service is attentive, but not intrusiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantDisappointedVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had not been to Persimmon since they remodeled Loved the new casual atmosphere. All of our meals were DELISH! Waiter was engaging and fun. Will definitely dine here again very soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Always a treat to dine at Persimmon. Excellent wait staff and food marvelously done. Cheers!Special Features:
- ConsistentDisappointedDined on 8/26/2014It would be nice if the menu could change periodically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014They handed us silverware that hadn't run through the dishwasher and most of the food was either under-seasoned or tasted store bought. Very overpriced for the quality.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014Wow finally an excellent restaurant in Bethesda! Most are so average. We hadn't bee to Persimmon for a long time and were just so pleased with everything. Every dish we and our friends ordered was fabulous-good job!Special Features:
- Tasteless tilapiaRWoodBVIPDined on 8/10/2014I have had the fish tacos before, but they were disappointing on this occasion because the fish had been overcooked. The selection of wines by the glass was very good, and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passable Sunday brunchKikiVIPDined on 8/10/2014We visited the remodeled Persimmon for the first time for a family Sunday brunch. The decor was pleasant, the vibe, relaxed, and the service, (too) prompt. (We would have liked a slower paced meal.) The eggs benedict (one with proshiutto and one with smoked salmon) were carefully prepared, nicely soft and runny with a pleasantly tart hollandaise sauce. The waffles were nicely browned, but the fruit topping seemed canned. We also ordered a fruit plate which was passable if unimaginative and stingily sized. With coffee and tip, this pleasant enough brunch set us back about $80. I might take out of town guests back some day. But Cafe Deluxe in Bethesda offers a similar experience for a few dollars less,iwith a better street view.Special Features:
- New and ImprovedFit4foodiesVIPDined on 8/8/2014we have now had two or three meals here since it's reopening....we've enjoyed each one! I always find several things on the menu that appeal to me and have to make a decision.... it's more comfortable than it had been and I like the food selection better..... it will definitely be one of my go to places in bethesda which is where I liveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anneVIPDined on 8/7/2014llGreat lobster rolls with plenty of lobster. Good place to be able to talk (booth)Special Features:
- DelishPJaesMomDined on 8/1/2014We ate outside at tables on Wisconsin. Quiet, despite traffic. So many menu options, we must return to try more. Cocktails, empanadas, oysters, crab cakes, catch of the day--all were delicious. Service was impeccable. So convenient to Quotidian Theater (Writers Workshop), I know I'll return. You should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.