7003 Wisconsin Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20815Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.persimmonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3016549860
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner
Tuesday - Saturday 11 am - 10 pm
Sunday 11 am - 9 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Damian Salvatore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Persimmon can accommodate specialized catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Persimmon can accommodate reservations for large parties and offers additional options for private and semi-private dining events.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Darnall - Megan@persimmonrestaurant.com (301) 654-9860
A word from Persimmon
Newly renovated Persimmon is bringing a more bistro vibe to the neighborhood offering up unforgettable favorites along with a handful of fresh new fares!Continued
Bring an appetite for great food & wine, bistro design, and a few less dimes!
Let's Gather & Eat!
Bring an appetite for great food & wine, bistro design, and a few less dimes!
Let's Gather & Eat!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Persimmon - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Persimmon reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (54)special occasion (32)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (12)romantic (9)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- ConsistentDisappointedDined on 8/26/2014It would be nice if the menu could change periodically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014They handed us silverware that hadn't run through the dishwasher and most of the food was either under-seasoned or tasted store bought. Very overpriced for the quality.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014Wow finally an excellent restaurant in Bethesda! Most are so average. We hadn't bee to Persimmon for a long time and were just so pleased with everything. Every dish we and our friends ordered was fabulous-good job!Special Features:
- Tasteless tilapiaRWoodBVIPDined on 8/10/2014I have had the fish tacos before, but they were disappointing on this occasion because the fish had been overcooked. The selection of wines by the glass was very good, and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passable Sunday brunchKikiDined on 8/10/2014We visited the remodeled Persimmon for the first time for a family Sunday brunch. The decor was pleasant, the vibe, relaxed, and the service, (too) prompt. (We would have liked a slower paced meal.) The eggs benedict (one with proshiutto and one with smoked salmon) were carefully prepared, nicely soft and runny with a pleasantly tart hollandaise sauce. The waffles were nicely browned, but the fruit topping seemed canned. We also ordered a fruit plate which was passable if unimaginative and stingily sized. With coffee and tip, this pleasant enough brunch set us back about $80. I might take out of town guests back some day. But Cafe Deluxe in Bethesda offers a similar experience for a few dollars less,iwith a better street view.Special Features:
- New and ImprovedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/8/2014we have now had two or three meals here since it's reopening....we've enjoyed each one! I always find several things on the menu that appeal to me and have to make a decision.... it's more comfortable than it had been and I like the food selection better..... it will definitely be one of my go to places in bethesda which is where I liveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anneVIPDined on 8/7/2014llGreat lobster rolls with plenty of lobster. Good place to be able to talk (booth)Special Features:
- DelishPJaesMomDined on 8/1/2014We ate outside at tables on Wisconsin. Quiet, despite traffic. So many menu options, we must return to try more. Cocktails, empanadas, oysters, crab cakes, catch of the day--all were delicious. Service was impeccable. So convenient to Quotidian Theater (Writers Workshop), I know I'll return. You should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is the old Persimmon???dtssfoodieVIPDined on 8/1/2014Just had lunch here and was very disappointed. Both with my meal and the service. And the ambience is now cold and uninviting; not a great make-over if you ask me. I won't be coming back to what used to be one of my favorite lunch spots.
- BirthdaygirljudigeeDined on 7/31/2014As always, the crabcakes were exceptional. Large lump backfin, no breading or heavy spice. Dessert is always difficult to choose because all are delicious, but this time we had the chocolate cake with molten center, topped with a dollop of whipped cream. DeliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfiedVIPDined on 7/30/2014The rack of lamb is excellent and nice that you can order a half rack. Short ribs also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Persimmon Fine for lunchNB41VIPDined on 7/30/2014This is a good neighborhood lunch place, although I miss the old menu, which was more creative and careful. Yhis is OK !Special Features:
- Persimmon has become a bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/15/2014This restaurant has gone downscale from its earlier existence. It aspires to emulate the Bistro model but it is no Diplomat. The menu is quite limited, the wine list is heavy on South American and African and the wine by the bottle is overpriced. The food was tasty but a far cry from the "old Persimmon.
- Kick back and enjoy!NancsterDined on 7/12/2014Starting off with the warm welcome and followed quickly by a perfectly chilled martini, our evening at Persimmon was just what we needed after a stress-filled week. We've long been fans of the sister restaurant, Wild Tomato. There's a lovely neighborhood vibe to both places where you can just sit back and linger over drinks, the meal, dessert, coffee….bliss. I enjoyed the empanada starter. My main, the beautifully cooked, presented, and amply served scallops were delightful. I should have followed the gentle lead of our server when he asked if I wanted the starter portion…would have been a more proper serving size for me as I had to auction off the last of the scallops having eaten my fill. Wonderful profiteroles for dessert!Special Features:
- horribly noisyPaulBVIPDined on 7/11/2014Difficult to have a conversation the noise was so loud..........and we were in a quiet location, by the bar
- Dinner treateasierthancookingDined on 7/5/2014Great service, and no issues with accommodating my diet regimen. Server was only around when needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food restrictionstryitDined on 7/3/2014One of the things I appreciated about Persimmon was their willingness to adapt the dish I wanted to my gluten and dairy intolerance. Made it feel simple. My scallops were still delicious even with the modificationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LannieVIPDined on 7/3/2014The BEST crab cakes! Held together with NO filling! Really excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience.HarryfVIPDined on 6/27/2014Food is always fantastic. Not noisy and too busy. Newly redecorated to accentuate the bar, but I'm not sure that is what most look for., It may be better for the folks who drink and have to wait for their tables.Special Features:
- Yummy Rack of LambOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/26/2014The rack of lamb was as good as always, although I asked for the Mashed Potatoes, Onion Strings, and Spinach setup that usually comes with the short ribs instead of the Au Gratin potatoes. The Chicken Pate with Grilled Baguette was a really tasty appetizer. The 2011 Sivas Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon that was one of the featured red wines was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was Really GoodGailDined on 6/22/2014The Empenada's are excellent and the duck salad plentiful. Just a little slow on the service. Would go back again for sureSpecial Features:
- Food & Servicekre8orDined on 6/22/2014I never realized that service would play such an important role in how enjoyable a meal may be. I thought the food was aceptable but not outstanding on something I felt was not difficult (eggs benedict) but our server was unattentive and sloppy as well. I don't know if I would go back to Persimmon's.
- Persimmon has slipped...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/19/2014Persimmon was my first choice for a mid-week birthday dinner for 4, but the place has changed. We chose a booth, but this isolated us from the body of the restaurant, and our server. Drink order was delayed, leaving us waiting to toast. Wrapped napkins held salad forks, undersized for dinner. Our initial server was brusque and indifferent. Things improved when the food arrived: tuna tartar was a high point, while arugula salad with hint of fennel and sliced ricotta was absolutely unremarkable. Excellent rock fish fillet over cilantro rice and red snapper with asparagus and orzo. The food almost made up for the remarkably poor service, which left a bitter taste. I won't return and, sadly, it was clear that restaurant could care less.
- sammyVIPDined on 6/19/2014I hadn't dined at Persimmons in the last few years. Unfortunately, the waiter was so bad and rude. I won't go back.
- BpBarryDined on 6/17/2014Good food with a nice variety. Service was a little slow but very friendly. No kids menuI would recommend this to a friend.
- My go to place.Hard2pleaseDined on 6/14/2014We have eaten all over the world. We've also eaten all around town for forty years. This is where we go for good food,always, pleasent wait staff, and a friendly atmosphere. It's a neighbor gem. Is it small, yes, is it noisy,yes, is the food fantastic, yes, when you walk in the door are you greeted with a warm hello, yes. Its a fabulous neighborhood restaurant. What else can one ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LesTVIPDined on 6/14/2014I have eaten here many times. The food, as usual, was very good. (I love their Smoked Trout "spring rolls.") My companion and I shared an order of the spring rolls. Then I haad a very nice Cesar salad followed by the "fresh catch", a white fish. Very good! My compaion had a special - soft shell crab. Again very good. The wine list is interesting. No dessert - we were on our waay to a concert. We had a New York State Riesling from a winery I had not heard of. It was very good. I think it is great when a resaurant show some imagination about where their wines come from.Special Features:
- Consistently very goodRWoodBVIPDined on 6/14/2014Of all of the restaurants I frequent, Persimmon is the most consistent in both food and service. Both always rate very good. The restaurants I have rated higher at times sometimes disappoint. Persimmon never does. My only regret is that the restaurant does not offer espresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurant uranyKas93VIPDined on 6/13/2014As always very good with great fish and starters---trout and wasabi oysters in particularSpecial Features:
- mediningDined on 6/12/2014Doesn't look like much but the food was great and the service friendly, but not invasive.
- A Switch in DineLadyDiDined on 6/10/2014A very disappointing visit. My seared sea scallops on a bed of artichoke purée with grilled asparagus turned out to be nothing of the kind. The scallops were immersed in PEA purée with grilled cauliflower. I'd never have ordered the dish if either of the servers had thought to tell me of the chef's changes. Each server blamed the other (though in good humor) and I was left with an unsavory meal and no offer of an alternative dish or, at the very least, a comped dessert or glass of wine. The others at my table were satisfied, if not elated, with their meals. Persimmon did not, this time live up to our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigB73Dined on 6/10/2014Dinner was excellent. We enjoyed everything about it and it was reasonably pricedSpecial Features:
- Persimmon Restaurant BethesdashaymoneyDined on 6/8/2014Persimmon delivers once again. A very nice neighborhood place, excellent food, great ambiance. Hope they bring back the fish tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my FavesOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/7/2014It's back and better than ever....much improved....more casual feeling....more comfortable than it was....food still delicious but a little more reasonable.... been a fan since it opened....now I have an easier time getting my husband there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic menuDiner55555Dined on 6/7/2014Fiancé and I took our parents there this past weekend. The menu is diverse and outstanding - I literally wanted to order every entree on the list. Everyone enjoyed their meal. The only drawback is noise level. There is not a curtain or sound dampening material anywhere in sight, so sound stays trapped within the restaurant. It can be hard to hear conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected PleasurePandaVIPDined on 6/7/2014I came from out if town to take my mother-in-law out for dinner. Food was sophisticated and delicious without pretension. Service friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great!sfwrDined on 6/7/2014We really enjoyed our meals at Persimmon. The halibut special was particularly good. The $33 three course deal before 6 (we arrived just before) is a great deal.Special Features:
- RileyVIPDined on 5/30/2014Persimmon just keeps up the great quality and innovation in its dishes -- without outlandish prices. The only regression I'd want to see to the "Old Persimmon" would be to return to the old Caesar Salad. Otherwise, it is a great meal with fresh ingredients, at a sensible price. Nicely done!Special Features:
- eatwellDined on 5/29/2014First time that I've had poor service here. It is usually excellent. It was crowded at lunch, and the servers were just overworked I think. It's never been a problem before. The tuna tartare was delicious, but my salad was forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not return!FoodloverDined on 5/28/2014Great drinks but over priced, also not a lot of options! Menu was limited and over priced! Venue looked better online than in person!