1407 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
PersianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.persepolisnewyork.com/
- Phone: 2125351100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 12:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner: Sun-Thu 6:00pm - 10:30pm
Fri-Sat 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Persian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: San Sethachutkul
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: PERSEPOLIS offers exclusive catering by Chef: San Sethachutkul. From intimate dinners to lavish galas, we provide The World’s oldest cuisine combined with personalized service attending to every detail of your entertaining needs.
Persepolis is located at:
1407 Second Avenue (Between 73rd and 74th Street) Upper East Side of Manhattan
Please Call: Farshid Bidarian for private event & catering inquiries at 212-535-1100
A word from Persepolis
Persepolis Is a Persian/ Mediterranean restaurant with a dynamic atmosphere and 20 years of experience! The restaurant is famous for verity of kebabs and refreshing salads and gently spiced grilled meats. The yogurt and cucumber blended with a little mint is made exceedingly well and is an ideal cool compliment to Persepolis’ rounds of Pita & Barbari bread. Our kebabs which include moist and delicious salmon or saffron chicken are served without heavy sauces. Instead they are served with a choice of four rices including an intriguing blend of Basmati rice and marinated sour cherries. Our personalized wine list truly compliments our cuisine. We also offer a full classic bar.Continued
We look forward to seeing you!
We look forward to seeing you!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Persepolis reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (14)special occasion (9)great for lunch (7)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (5)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Review of PersopolisLinda13VIPDined on 8/23/2014Very good Persian food. A friend from Iran suggested certain dishes like eggplant trio as an appetizer which was large enough for the four of us to share. Shrimp dish was good as was the lamb bark The rice dishes like the one with cherries was excellent. Baklava for dessert was not that good but the dessert of orange and raisins in yogurt, ice cream or sorbet was excellent. We are going back in 3 days for dinner with other friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJJ2Dined on 8/19/2014The kebabs were not made in traditional Persian way, but the rice and stews were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit; food excellent butNoneDined on 8/19/2014there was no air conditioning. Ceiling fans helped but still not comfortable for me. Staff was very helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/19/2014Our group of four had dinner at this restaurant for our first time. The table was very comfortable. It was very quiet at first. Then a woman with two children sat down. She had a stroller. The boy was seated in a high chair and screamed for about one hour, which was annoying. The restaurant became very full. The waiters were overworked, which led to poor service. The Persian food was excellent, including the stews, appetizers (humus and eggplant trio) and desserts.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AhmedinNYCDined on 8/6/2014Persepolis is consistent in the very good quality of its food and the excellent and friendly service of its staff. Its stews are best in NY.Special Features:
- Solid Persian FoodBeachBumVIPDined on 8/4/2014Eaten here a bunch of times. Very good authentic Persian food! Excellent kabobs and great strews (almost as good as mom's). Tadigh could be a bit more crispy n I wish they had lavash. But still a great place for Persian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Place!RadioClash30Dined on 8/2/2014Great food and I would say a nice place to have a romantic evening, although I was there with a group of girlfriends. The servers were also very friendly. The meatball and lamb shank were particularly delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beef Great, Chicken So-SoccieDined on 8/1/2014The beef kabobs, both ground meat and filet, were excellent. So were the side dishes. The only thing we didn't like was the chicken kabob which was very dry. I think they should consider using dark meat instead or giving an option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, Fresh and Authentic!JigsawnovichDined on 7/26/2014Excellent hummus, fesenjan, cherry rice, and yoghurt dessert! Our waiter was excellent too! This is the best Persian restaurant I've been to outside of Iran, and it is as good as the best restaurants I went to in Iran!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Down!greatplaceDined on 7/26/2014This was a second visit to Persepolis with friends. Both times, an evening mid-week and a Saturday, we felt rushed through the entire meal. This made it uncomfortable to enjoy the many items we selected to experience the cuisine. We had dessert with coffee and after dinner drinks elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out standingStevieDined on 7/24/2014Service and food always terrific ! Our entrees were very delicious and piping hot when we received them the waiter was very attentive and gave great service !Special Features:
- Persian gemart1206Dined on 6/29/2014Very good food and friendly owner. The four of us, shared two appetizers (dumplings and trio of eggplant dishes) that were excellent and enough for four. I had the spit roasted Cornish hen with basmati rice with orange and almonds that were terrific. Everyone seemed to lke what they ordered and we will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Persephone - Hidden GemCrankyDiner25Dined on 6/29/2014The food was delicious and the restaurant is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The second time even better!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014I first came across this Persian eatery for lunch with a friend that was strictly vegetarian, and it was delightful and reasonably priced with great service. So, I returned for an anniversary dinner with the husband, and we were delighted, again. I had the saffron chicken with fragrant bastmati rice and the grilled carrots with golden raisins. No room for dessert - unfortunately! I recommend this menu. You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Persian pleasureGraduationLunchDined on 6/19/2014Delightfully authentic persian specialties, flavorful and geenrouse protions at moderate pricesSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood GemRosieDined on 6/12/2014A round table in the center of a warm and cozy brick lined room kicked off a delicious meal. Tastes galore, served up wonderful appetizers. Beet dishes particularly notable. Entrees all presented well, and flexibility offering salad instead of rice. Cherry rice outstanding! Fairly priced wine list. Welcoming and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Experience of Persian DiningepieaterDined on 6/4/2014This was the first time I've tried Persian food and it didn't dissappoint. I really liked the stew, the rice, and the desert. I also enjoyed a glass of persian wine which was very potent and put me to sleep.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/26/2014Good food in the neighborhood. Service a bit spotty but good enough. The food is really delicious.Special Features:
- Persian at its bestBebeVIPDined on 5/22/2014The food is beyond fabulous; the sour cherry rice is a must have.Special Features:
- Mixed bagVegfDined on 5/10/2014The starters, desserts and rice were tasty and interesting. But both the meat and vegetable stews were disappointingly flavourless. Friendly waiter but seemed to struggle to understand our order. Nice venue but very loud when full.Special Features:
- The good and the bad.Fgarcia426Dined on 5/6/2014I came for a birthday dinner. The restaurant made the desert special, with candle and overhead music to celebrate, and even gave us complimentary glasses of port at the end of the meal. Some things need improvement, however: the food was expedited too quickly, with all of it having been apparently fired at once and waiters anxiously coming over during the appetizer and aperitif to ask if they could take away food we were still eating. Secondly, the staff was extremely kind but the wait staff appeared to not have assigned tables, which led to 4 people asking us if we wanted another drink within the span of a minute and then nobody being around at moments when we needed to call a waiter over. The food was delicious, though. Very.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/6/2014We ordered stews, which are usually excellent -- But this time came away with stomach pains. Not sure what went wrong, but this is an alert.
- The following 266 reviews are from the Persepolis reviews archive.
- Pleasant evening at the PersepolissquirrelDined on 5/4/2014We liked the food, liked the vine, liked the service... NO SWEETS, not even baklava...All yogurts were very good but the place has to add some deserts. FOR THE SUGAR LOVERS & CHOCOLATE LOVERS...It's NEW YORK!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnergood2chewDined on 5/4/2014All four of us very much enjoyed our varied dinners. Always love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentically IranianFoodThoughtsDined on 5/1/2014This was our second visit in about 9 months and we were just as pleased with food, service, ambiance, and food value. We visited most of the major cities of Iran in March-April of last year and ate local food throughout the trip. One of the persons from NYC on the tour recommended Persepolis highly and it has exceeded our expectations. The food is truly authentic and as good as the best we had during our almost two week trip in Iran On both occasions my wife had the meatballs and I had one of the stews. We visit NYC once or twice a year and concentrate on ethnic food that we do not have where we live. Persepolis will be on our list of the restaurants to visit on future NYC trips.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special treatadoniram1Dined on 4/26/2014I live 350 miles from the city but I get to Persepolis a few times every year. Chose it for a special birthday dinner with people 25 to 75. Every dish was wonderful. I especially love yogurt and eggplant appetizers, marinated Cornish hen, lamb dishes, and rice with cherries. Wish there was a Persian restaurant Upstate.Special Features:
- Great food, service and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014We ordered the fileted white fish entree and the chicken kabob along with the 3 salads and 3 yogurts appetizers. Delicious but too much food. One less appetizer would've been better. Also had one if the oaky Chardonnays which was wonderful. Good place for dinner and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findDiscerningDinerDined on 4/18/2014Looking for a restaurant in the upper east side "very east", and a friend suggested thus charming, elegant place. Food was excellent, a new cuisine for me. Service impeccable and attentive (though not too attentive. i.e., intrusive). And, perhaps best of all in NYC, quiet, unrushed, oerfect for business or catch up lunches. I took another friend there the next day. Excellent, reasonable lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PersepolisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2014Good atmosphere & service. Very relaxed. Great apps. Chicken dinner was dry / a bit overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/9/2014It's been 20 years since I left my beloved East Side, and I can't remember the last time I ate as far east as 2nd Avenue. Persepolis will change that. In fact, my wife and I found it only two days ago and I'm already making plans to take more of the family there over the weekend. The food is excellent across the board, but the three yogurt appetizer is absolute heaven. My wife had an unbelievable stew with tomatoes and almond rice. I had lamb with sour-cherry rice. The Lebanese cab sauvignon was very good. The service is impeccable. It's clearly a family-welcoming place, but we sat in the window by candle-light and were very pleased with the sound-level, the light, and the romance. A new favorite. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findBethlymDined on 4/5/2014Delicious food, attentive and suprisingly friendly staff. Went with a group and everyone raved about the food. The chicken, pomegranate, walnut stew is a standoutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate twiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014To be as succinct as possible, we liked Persepolis well enough to eat there two nights in a row, and were very please both times.I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomesabrinaDined on 3/31/2014Head there now. So good - food, atmosphere, the whole experience!Special Features:
- One of my favoritesAzadVIPDined on 3/29/2014I have been going to this restaurant for many years now. As a first-generation American of Iranian descent, I have very high standards for Iranian cuisine. Persepolis somehow manages to even exceed my standards with exceptional food and service. I would highly recommend Persepolis for both people who are and are not familiar with Iranian cuisine and I feel confident you will have a great dining experience.Special Features:
- I could eat Persepolis every dayatomicdogVIPDined on 3/27/2014Persian food is unbelieveable. I could eat it every day and Persepolis is amazing. Wonderful people, great atmosphere, super service. Makes we want to learn Farsi!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JEWELsmokeyDined on 3/4/2014IN THE SEVERAL YEARS OF ENJOYING THIS TERRIFIC RESTAURANT...IT IS CONSISTANTLY WONDERFUL!Special Features:
- Hit the Right NotesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/22/2014Just great tasting food. Would highly recommend the cherry rice, that's enough to bring someone there alone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fragrant, delicious lunchChloeDined on 2/17/2014Had a very tasty lunch here. It was quiet and we were seated right at the front of the restaurant. Had a trio of fresh salads to start, then the Taj Kabob combination - juicy chicken and lamb, which came with a wonderful citrus and almond rice. Looking forward to eating here again. It was solidly good, classic Persian food.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day WinXanderDined on 2/14/2014Took my wife here for Valentine's Day, experience was great. We shared the eggplant trio as an appetizer and the wait staff was great about refilling our bread. The baby lamb barg was delicious, meat was excellently cooked and juicy, got it with the polo baghali. My wife had the khoresht gaimeh badamjan with polo shirin. Both tasted great, and we got to hold on to the eggplant appetizer (since we didn't finish it before our entrees came out, only because it's a large portion for two people), went great with our rice. Timing of appetizer and entrees was great, delicious food.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere, fast andMrLemywinksDined on 2/14/2014Nice atmosphere, fast and friendly service, and the food was excellent. Would gladly go back!Special Features: