Pero Restaurant and Lounge
812 Bloor St. West
Toronto, ON M6G1L9Neighborhood:
EritreanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Pero Restaurant and Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dine.to/sites/pero/#home
- Phone: 4169157225
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Eritrean, Ethiopian
- Executive Chef: Menu is created by Chef Million
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: customize menu of your choice
- Entertainment: Live Dj from friday to Sunday @ red room downstairs
- Special Events: we have a room for private event with full license, capacity 60ppl
- Cross Street: Bloor and Chritie
- Public Transit: if you take Subway get off on Ossington or Christie stations from christie its west one block,from Ossington East 2 Blocks on the north side
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: if you park on bloor you pay till 9pm, if you park on crawford or show its free till midnight
A word from Pero Restaurant and Lounge
Pero Restaurant is as rich and diverse as Eastern African culture. The spectrum Pero Restaurant cuisine can be said to lie between two dietary extremes: vegetarianism and carnivorism. The essence of good Eastern African cooking revolves around the appropriate use of aromatic spices. The skill lies in subtle blending of a variety of spices to enhance, rather than overwhelm the basic flavour of a particular dish. Pero food relies on the spices in which it is cooked, just as Japanese Sushi relies on the freshness of the meat, and Chinese food relies on the various sauces to impart the right flavour and taste. It is interesting to see an Eastern African chef at work with a palette of spices, gratuitously sprinkling these powders in exact pinches into the dish in front of him. It is these complexities of regional food in Eastern Africa that make it such a fascinating experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Pero Restaurant and Lounge - Best Restaurants in Bloordale ›
Pero Restaurant and Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (15)good for groups (14)special occasion (12)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (11)late-night find (8)hot spot (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Lived up to recommendationsHombreDined on 8/17/2014Being new to Toronto, we asked resident Eritreans where we could take two non-Eritreans out for an Eritrean meal and we were recommended to go to Pero's. We were not disappointed. The food was good, the ambience great (we went on a Sunday evening). The only comment I would like to make is that the Qategna (spelt with a K on the menu!) was delicious but had salt grains on it which made it too salty. I would have preferred to have the Qategna in triangular double layer injeras instead of it being rolled ala sushi but that's a personal preference. The 4 -Person platter didn't have a "Tsebhi" - sauce - dish so we had to order that separately. It would have been great if it came with at least one "tsebhi".Special Features:
- Always a Pleasure!!Foodie123Dined on 8/9/2014Pero Restaurant satisfies every time! The food and Pero's awesome attention to the customer's overall eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantgreatfoodieexperienceDined on 8/7/2014My party consisted of 6 and we had one of the best food experiences in Toronto. It was the first time for 5 of us eating at a restaurant with our hands but it was part of what made our experience a unique one.Special Features:
- Something DifferentTim2puttDined on 8/5/2014I booked this when looking for a night out. I saw the previous reviews and thought it would be something different and a unique night out. The food was very different and quite good. We had a mixed platter. We found it very interesting to be eating with our hands. I would certainly recommend trying this at least once.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014A chance to try something different for us as far as food is concerned. Quiet atmosphere - nice for a change. Service helpful and cheerful. Enjoyed the experience very much, 1/2 a century.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambiance and servicemariasamDined on 6/15/2014We had dinner at Pero for our second anniversary after seeing the great reviews online. It was a great experience! The outside of the restaurant is quite deceiving as the interior is really beautiful and has a great ambiance, especially for those looking for a more romantic and intimate setting. We'd forgotten that there is no cutlery, which of course enhanced the experience for us, however we did find that the sour dough bread called injera did cover up the flavour of some dishes as it does have a distinct and un-ignorable flavour and texture of its own. It was too hard to simply scoop up the lentil stew with our fingers (we did try) but its all part of the fun! Waitresses were patient and friendly. We really recommend everyone try it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a definite must returnWestBankDined on 5/30/2014Decor was beautiful. Very tranquil and relaxing. Food was fantastic. Try the cha cha (lamb) and ask for some uzo to be mixed with your hot sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please see my comments below, thks.BDarlingDined on 5/30/2014I took a dinner date to Pero last Friday and we had the most amazing taste experience. It turns out, my date is a 'hobby' gourmet and he was blown away by the depth and diversity of the spices. We can hardly wait to go again. The service was excellent and the chef came out of the kitchen to encourage us to mix the food together to have even more flavour. He didn't have to tell us twice! Our server recommended an appetizer that was so fresh and delicious we put our evening in her hands. I thought I knew Ethiopian food but that meal changed my outlook for the better. The traditional coffee finish gave us just the right boost to go dancing after dinner. Thanks to all at Pero and I look forward to seeing you again soon! ChristineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and AmbienceJulesDined on 5/29/2014The food was fantastic. The staff made some excellent recommendations for our first time there. We shared a platter which allowed us to taste different dishes. The coffee at the end is worth it. The beans are roasted there and the taste is nothing you have had before. The owner takes the time to talk to you and make you feel like you are having dinner at his house, not a restaurant. The atmosphere is casual but the later it got, the busier it became. If you want to try something different, this is the place to go.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Redhead582Dined on 5/29/2014This was our 2nd time at Pero again for a special occasion. The Pero platter is a favourite. Service is fantastic and Pero made our evening even more fun.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/29/2014Delicious food with very interesting spice combinations. Vegetarian dishes were exceptional. Lovely atmosphere. Probably not for everyone as you eat with your hands using a sponge bread. Forks provide if desired. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- LIna BamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014We had a great time celebrating my daughter's birth day, everything was great, the authentic food, the service the environment. Highly recommended. And life music on the weekdays is coming on June 1.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special TreatGigiDined on 5/11/2014We have attended at Pero Restaurant and Lounge on a few occasions and have never been disappointed with the food, service and the ambiance is great, enjoy!Special Features:
- The following 23 reviews are from the Pero Restaurant and Lounge reviews archive.
- Pero is all classOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Absolutely amazing dining experience. Pero selected all of our food and it was AAA grade. Amazing ambience and also got a tour of the newly renovated Jazz room which is sure to be a hit. 100% recommended-amazing place.Special Features:
- Great findJulieDined on 4/18/2014Tried Pero of Thursday night with a friend. It was quiet as we were just going into the long weekend. Food was amazing, service was just as good. Would definitely recommend checking it out.Special Features:
- Best Ethiopian in T.O.kathDined on 4/18/2014Head and shoulders the best Ethiopian in town. Each dish distinct and flavourful; at some restos they all taste like variations of the same but not at Pero. Quality is noticeably superior. We've been a couple times now. The only pointer I could suggest is that the extra injera rolls could be served warm not cold like they were on our latest outing. First time we visited we had a nice chat with the owner as well who introduced us to various menu items and made suggestions. Nice ambience. The Ehtiopian coffee was absolutely fabulous as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighbourhood restoFranDined on 4/4/2014Really enjoyed this restaurant; not only is it in the neighbourhood, but it has great food and ambience, and the service was terrific. Would go again.Special Features:
- Yum!JkjkDined on 3/28/2014We have been to a few Ethiopian restaurants and have enjoyed them all. Pero offers great food and great atmosphere. Good jazz music is the backdrop to good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!NomNomNomDined on 3/21/2014Absolutely loved this spot, it was a great first time Ethiopian experience for me. The food was delicious and the owner was lovely! I would definitely recommend this place to anything, its a new faveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spread the word (but not too widelyGastronautDined on 3/15/2014Pero continues to provide an optimal combination of amazing food and exceptional hospitality. We've visited the restaurant several times already, each time with a new set of friends. There's no longer a decision to be made in our minds whenever we have an urge to consume Ethiopian / Eritrean food; Pero's is the clearly the best choice in Toronto. We're not sure whether the main attraction is Pero (the owner) who welcomes us like royalty each time we enter his establishment, or the excitement of discovering which of his scrumptious culinary inventions he is going to recommend. In fact, we find ourselves in the dilemma of wanting to help Pero's business by spreading the word versus a selfish urge to keep the restaurant as our own secret!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and valueOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/14/2014I had the Pero's Platter, which if you haven't tried this style of food before does not involve using utensils. Don't worry, they'll teach you how to scoop the meat and vegetable items using the flat bread (I think it's technically called "Injera.")Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night @ Pero'sScottBDined on 3/5/2014Our server was very friendly with a great sense of humor, food was very good too. To top if off Pero also stepped in from time to time to make sure we were enjoying ourselves, which we did. He's a nice guy and hilarious. I'd highly recommend Pero restaurant.Special Features:
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Went here for Valentine's day and had an amazing experience. Pero, the owner, is very interactive with the guests, helped us decide on what we should order since we didn't have a lot of experience with Eritrean food. Great service from the staff as well, food was delicious, wine was well paired, and were not kept waiting. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day guestsBaleDined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I went there for Valentine's Day, since I read very good reviews and the ambient looked suitable for romantic occasion. The food was ok, except they brought something slightly different than the one we ordered. I guess the confusion occurred due to too many guests they were not ready for. But overall I find it as a good restaurant.Special Features:
- an experience everyone should try!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014This restaurant has all 3 things going right. Perfect service, great food and comfortable ambiance. If you want to feel like a VIP in a restaurant, this is the place You should visit. The food was unique and delightful. Pero is great from casual to romantic dining, I wiil be back again but this time with more people so they can Share the experience!Special Features:
- Highly recommend. Food andMikeandTaniaDined on 11/15/2013Highly recommend. Food and servise was excellent. Prices are reasonable. Nice semi-private group lounge area in the back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- they have the option for gluten-freOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013they have the option for gluten-free injera - pretty much the only reason I came here and it turned out to be super delicious. Pero was really helpful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We like the food.But had bloatedSachinDined on 10/13/2013We like the food.But had bloated stomach later on.Special Features:
- Attention was givenfirsttimerDined on 10/12/2013Decor and ambiance made is cozy. Friendly, clean, good service. I would go back to dine and recommend this restaurant to a friend. Did I forget the food? An experience in the mouth with flavours and textures. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a new experienceMarkJHDined on 8/24/2013This was a new experience for us, and so glad we did because it certainly won't be the last. Everything was delicious and we were all satisfied, vegetarians and omnivores alike. What truly stood out however was the service. The staff were all so friendly and helpful in making recommendations. A must try!Special Features:
- A culinary adventureFoodie101Dined on 7/18/2013Mr Pero met us at the door and gave us the best seat in the house. He and the waitress were friendly and attentive, helped is chose food and it was absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend trying some Ethopian and Eitrean food at Pero! My family and I will definitely return! 10/10 for excellent service and great food! P.S make sure to have some of their traditional coffee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ethiopian Food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2013I will never stop coming here. It's vegan friendly, delicious, and the owner is a complete Gem. Check it out for your first Ethiopian experience and Pero will be pleased to help you out with great recommendations! They are going to have live Entertainment soon and we are very excited! Thanks for everything!!! XoxoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Ethiopian food!palmettoDined on 4/27/2013This is the second time I've eaten at Pero and it was, again, worth the drive (from 40 minutes away). The staff is very attentive, and helpful in making choices, and the food is delicious! Will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep coming back and wantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2013I keep coming back and want to introduce all my friends to Pero. Service is great and really appreciate soft jazz.Special Features:
- The service was prompt andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2013The service was prompt and attentive and the food was fresh and very flavourful while also being nicely presented.Special Features:
- We came as a group of 10 forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013We came as a group of 10 for a farewell party. We had a wonderful time and the food was excellent.