35 W. 20th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.periyali.com/
- Phone: (212) 463-7890
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Henderson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Periyali is available for private events of all sizes and offers personally customized menus and experiences no matter what kind of event you are looking to book.
- Private Party Contact: Dimitri Kyroulis 2124637890
A word from Periyali
A cool Mediterranean retreat from the city's chaos, with fabric-swathed ceilings and pristine white furnishings. Even on a hectic night, service is calm and competent, and the professional couples at most of the tables seem to be speaking in peaceful whispers. The kitchen offers scintillating versions of hearty, refreshing Greek favorites. Souvlaki is charcoal-grilled and up scaled with filet mignon to produce an impressively tender, succulent result. Wine-marinated octopus legs are also charcoal-grilled, resulting in astounding flavor and not a hint of rubberness. Classics like garlicky skordalia, fava beans, sauteed chicken livers over lentils, and spanakopita are all best-of-breed versions, the latter prepared as a platter of bite-sized pies. A sizeable portion of moussaka, consisting of layers of juicy ground lamb and eggplant, tied together by a superlative béchamel. For dessert, the array of delicate pastries and the deeply creamy rice pudding are excellent without exception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Periyali - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Periyali reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (87)fit for foodies (69)romantic (55)special occasion (49)good for groups (34)great for lunch (25)notable wine list (15)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (7)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/18/2014I have been here once before and continue to not be disappointed. The grilled octopus and the fresh dip plate (hummus, etc) are must haves. The mussaka is one of the best I have ever had and the desserts are wonderful. We had a wonderful waiter who has been with the restaurant forever, so knows his stuff. Usually you get rushed out after dessert / coffee so they can turn the table, but following dessert they let my group sit and chat for a significant amount of time, and it was a typical busy evening for them - much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a greek gemartistDined on 11/10/2014It is a warm friendly greek restaurant with great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Alan MAlanMDined on 11/5/2014Delicious food, but poor service first the waiter was rushing us to order but then then he was not very attentive, and at the end of the evening he just hung out by the bar, we had to flag him down for our bill. Brought the mains too soon after appetizer, and the busboy practically took my app plate away while I was lifting my fork to mouth. However one of the best grilled Branzino I have ever had. Be warned, lots of garlic, but delicious. Grilled octopus was amazing as was the white bean app with small sides of hummus and baba. I would give it a second try for hi end Greek. Also a bit noisy, but manageable.
- Better Greek RestaurantsRonlDined on 11/4/2014There are many Greek and Middle Eastern restaurants in NYC. This was not one of them. The waiter was indifferent and there were many servers so there was no communication. We were not asked how we liked our food. Our response would have been we didn't. Neither my wife nor myself were able to eat the main course. The fish tasted old.
- everything done wellnycadamVIPDined on 11/1/2014This was my second trip to Periyali, and I will be back again. Food and service are both very good. I've given it 4 stars, not 5, because the menu isn't inventive. But if you want top-quality Greek food, in a nice setting, with attentive service, this is your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night in the cityCinderellaDined on 11/1/2014I spent the night with my daughter. It began at Periyali. We arrived very early and everyone was very attentive. The wine was terrific as was our entire meal. We love Greek food so many of the items on the menu were familiar. The presentation of each course was pleasing to the eye and elegantly dressed. We would definitely go back to this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again and again,HollyDined on 10/28/2014Periyali delivers delicious food, excellent service and a wonderful experience of Greek food. The Greek salad is the best I can find in NYC and the keftedes are heavenly. In a neighborhood that is now chock-a-block with great places to eat, I come here again and again. It is head and shoulders above the rest.Special Features:
- like an evening in GreecefoodieDined on 10/26/2014loved the ambience after a busy day in the City. Felt you were on a small vacation. Food was great, service great...would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Traditional Greek OasisGaryHVIPDined on 10/25/2014Few places remain that are true to their traditions, but modern in presentation and menu. The seafood was excellent. Waiters are attentive, knowledgeable about their wines, and genuinely nice. White table cloths in a congenial setting. If you want a calm oasis with fine food, this is the place.Special Features:
- Periyali PerfectionBuzzy1Dined on 10/19/2014We have been going to this restaurant for years and it is always delightful. The food is delicious, the decor is attractive, the staff is pleasant and one can have a conversation with ease while dining. We had a round table in the back for the 5 of us and it was quiet. A lovely evening of delicious food and catching up with old friends. Chicken kebab with fennel and couscous was very tasty as were the lamb chops. The trio of dips was a great starter. The selection of cookies was the perfect ending. There is a good selection of Greek wines as well. Periyali will NEVER let you down !Special Features:
- lovegreekhomecookingDined on 10/19/2014I am of Greek parents & grew up on homemade Greek food cooked by my mom. This is absolutely the best Greek restaurant in Manhattan.Special Features:
- Great friends recommendationXliiDined on 10/17/2014A great friend of mine turned me on to this fabulous restaurant years ago. It stands the test of time. You need to order the octopus appetizer. It's generous enough to share. Order your own lamb chops because you won't want to share them! Try some Greek wine too! They taught the Italians a thing or two about grape juice! And yes Baklava- because you have to. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vitoVIPDined on 10/13/2014This was a repeat visit and the food and service was exceptional. The bronzino was great.Special Features:
- Always goodKgoddessDined on 10/12/2014I needed a restaurant near the Metropolitan Room and was searching around when Periyali popped up. I was taking friends from out of town and wanted a neighborhood place with great food. Periyali fit the bill. Friendly, busy but not loud and the food was delicious. It was a great meal. Moussaka and grilled shrimp and filet shish kabobs!!!Special Features:
- Great every timeCaliGirlNycDined on 10/9/2014This is one of my go to spots whether it's with friends or family - you can never go wrong here! Get the chicken and egg soup, octopus, lamb chops and the chicken. All great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Enjoyable evening.Could have been quieter. Service fine.Special Features:
- DisappointedpamkVIPDined on 10/4/2014I went here because I love a sister restaurant - I went for a traditional Greek moussaka and was disappointed. My husband's lamb chops were perfect. Tried it probably would not go back.
- getting byTallguy1Dined on 10/3/2014Periyali was one of the first GOOD restaurants to move into the Flatiron area and it was always a treat to go there. I had not been in 2 years and was looking forward to eating there always good food. Alas they are coasting on the past. The octopus was terrific, a Greek beter get that one right. But the quail was dry and not flavorful. The Mosaskca was also a bit dry and nothing special, the green beans that accompanied it were like steam table, way over cooked. It was also hard finding a good wine at $55. So i guess it is good bye to this old friend.Special Features:
- DeliciousjeszDined on 9/29/2014So it was a business dinner, so I only had a main course, which was the steak skewer, but it was absolutely delicious. And considering we were deep in business discussions, the service was immaculate.Special Features:
- margaretOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Always one of my favorite spots - Host is are always so welcoming even though i have only eaten there maybe a half dozen times he treats you like you are a reguler ! food is always fresh and portopn very generous cant beat the $38 pre - fix menuSpecial Features:
- Greek experiencefreemaxouVIPDined on 9/17/2014Greek table to try Good food but not fancy food Wine list not very well know by waiters: the wine suggested was just okSpecial Features:
- too much saltOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/16/2014Returned to Periyali after a year away and were delighted to find that the food quality is still high. The salads and dips were lovely--fresh, tasty, served in a beautiful arrangement. Then we dug into the salmon baked in phyllo with spinach and YIKES so salty we were unable to finish. We told the waiter. He shrugged. Mumbled something about the spinach. Will return but won't order that dish again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best octopus I have ever hadSeattledinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014I would give this restaurant 4 1/2 stars if possible. Periyali is an elegant Greek restaurant. Their signature appetizer is a marinated grilled octopus. This is must have dish.it is tender and flavorful, not even slightly rubbery. We also had delicious quail and Greek salad. For the main,I has branzino with cous cous and broccoli rabe. Everything good, the cous cous a little dry and bland. A not too sweet baklava finished it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousphotogalVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had a very good meal. The service was great and it's a very pretty place.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 9/9/2014Periyali has been around for decades, but it never changes -- not the menu, not the professional service, not the excellent Greek cooking. If the restaurant is no longer a revelation, it always satisfies.Special Features:
- Great after shopping for furniturefoodiefanVIPDined on 9/6/2014We greatly enjoyed this low key Greek restaurant. We had the smoked trout salad, which was delicious, my wife loved the grape leaves, the meatballs were very tasty, and the branzino was almost as good as the branzino we had on the Amalfi Coast this summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek seafoodEatoutinnycDined on 9/5/2014Enjoyable evening of food and drink. Our waiter was very helpful with the wine selection. Food was flavorful . The decor was particularly pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek RestaurantsuttonplaceVIPDined on 9/4/2014The Bronzino and Greek salad is consistently excellent.Special Features:
- OUR FAVORITE GREEK RESTAURANTdca1125VIPDined on 9/4/2014We've been clients for 25 years and love the place and the food and the service. It's worth a trip out of your neighborhood to get thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfuljacntomDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I came to NYC for our 1 year anniversary and celebrated the occasion at Periyali. The staff and owner were all so great in making it a wonderful experience. We love the street it's on and this is truly a neighborhood gem. Next time we come to the city we will certainly eat again at Periyali.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGpookie54Dined on 8/23/2014IF YOU WANT TO BE TREATED THE WAY YOU THOUGHT YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AT A RESTAURANT THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU THE FOOD AND WINE MAKES YOU NEVER WANT TO LEAVE THE SIX OF US WERE BLOWN AWAY BY THE OCTOPUS AND FISH DISHES HIGHLY RECOMMENDEDSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Greek RestaurantManhattaniteVIPDined on 8/22/2014We sat in the enclosed courtyard area in the back. There's a skylight, and when it gets dark, lights turn on. They also have abundant, beautiful, fresh flower arrangements set in wall recesses. We definitely felt as if we were in Greece. The food was seasoned and cooked perfectly. The wine was good. The wait staff was attentive. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food vs bartenderGregVIPDined on 8/21/2014Bartender had a personality of a wet mop Food was great; portions slightly small and waiters kind of snobbyI would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertVIPDined on 8/20/2014Periyali is a favorite neighborhood restaurant. The food is consistently fresh and delicious. The service is always friendly.Special Features:
- Twenty Years and CountingJerryDined on 8/20/2014Periyali has never disappointed. We've brought many guests over the years, and not one has ever been unhappy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbMTCCVIPDined on 8/16/2014Started with their awesome octopus appetizer - it's the best we have ever had - along with a Greek salad. We both had the striped bass special - it was delicious. Finished up with some fabulous Greek pastries. Service is both professional and unobtrusive.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableAddictedDined on 8/15/2014This was the third time we dined at Periyali, and we are never disappointed. It's nice to have Greek food in an upscale setting for a special occasion. There is also a nice wine list, and the waiter offered to asist. Also, the portions were quite genorous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantPietroVIPDined on 8/14/2014Periyali is probably my favorite restaurant to eat in on a regular basis. The most delicious grilled fish I've ever had anywhere (and world-class octopus); everything else on the menu is good too, and service is always friendly and attentive. Also it's a very pretty space and never too noisy, a real plus in a Manhattan restaurant. It's not fabulous, edgy, or "scene-y" (though I have seen celebrities there on occasion)--just an incredibly pleasant, reliable place to eat.
- DonnaVIPDined on 8/13/2014I love this restaurant. The food is always excellent, and the ambiance warm and beautiful with gorgeous flower arrangements set against the white walls, and airy back dining rooms. The entire staff is welcoming, caring and very gracious. Everyone I take to the restaurant returns with other friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinnerShoreViewDined on 8/13/2014This was an anniversary dinner for my wife and I. We chose an early time (5.30pm), which in many ways worked (we got very attentive and quick service - as we were leaving just after 7pm I got the impression that later diners might not experience the same). As might be expected the restaurant was fairly quiet but still a pleasant ambience. All the food was very well prepared - my one qualm was that the lamb shank I had, while wonderfully tender, was a little bland. But definitely worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.