7845 Highlands Village Place Ste C101
San Diego, CA 92129Neighborhood:
South AfricanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.periperisd.com/
- Phone: 8585382282x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, South African
- Executive Chef: Kenny Raponi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Peri Peri
Experience the spices and flavors of Southern Africa with it's rich heritage of Indonesian, Indian, Malaysian, and Dutch influences. Sometimes spicy, sometimes not. Always flavorful and aromatic. Please join us for a dining experience unlike any other in San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Peri Peri reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (19)kid-friendly (16)good for groups (14)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (10)special occasion (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great findCoolradDined on 8/15/2014The food was delicious. Great service. Prices are very reasonable. A location like del mar highlands is more fitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going to make itOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Bad service. Limited menu. Bad preparation. Grouchy host. What else can I say?
- A taste of African fine diningwe8thereDined on 8/10/2014I've travelled a lot...and when I first walked in the door at Peri Peri, I knew that I would be pleased with their whole presentation. Their staff is well trained and very responsive. Their menu is nicely designed with just enough breadth and depth to showcase their special talents. The atmosphere and decor took me immediately back to Africa while completely avoiding any hint of tacky or forced. We enjoyed food from across their entire menu and were delighted with all. There was great attention to color, texture, balance and flavor without having to go over the top. It almost made me feel like an expat in Africa again....a VERY good feeling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedScottEVIPDined on 8/8/2014You wouldn't know it by the location - in a strip mall, at a spot where many mediocre restaurants have come and gone in the past - but Peri Peri has interesting food and wine at reasonable prices. We've been there twice now, and each time the host is exceptionally jovial, and finds us a good seat. The dishes are unusual when compared to the typical strip mall fare, largely South African influenced; a nice change from Mexican and Italian. We had a salad which was decent (not outstanding), and shared an entree making use of the Peri Peri chile. Yum! Service was good, the food was good, and my shiraz was tasty. I'm sure we'll go back.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant good valuePeriPeriDined on 8/4/2014Great ambience, great food, and reasonable prices for what you get. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peri periAbzmomDined on 8/2/2014I went with a group, I had never had South African food before. The lamb burger was very good. We had 2 children who had Mac & cheese, but that looked good too. The service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotmcgeefoodieDined on 7/31/2014The restaurant was beautiful in decor. It was not a large place, but seated a fair number of people comfortably. The service seemed very slow based on the number of people in the restaurant; it took an hour to get our food after being seated. The food was great, even for the kids. My husband and I would love to return for a date night if we were from this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableFoodieDined on 7/30/2014We came late, after they had a very busy night, so they were all out of our favorite dish, the shrimp bisque. too bad. We enjoyed the Natal curry and the Chicken Saag curry. When you order don't anticipate that at the recipes will be like what you know of Indian or other food. The Saag was not a spinach sauce, it was a very light concoction with bits of spinach in it. I recommend to get it with chicken, it was tender and flavorful. Service was great, as usual. Its a nice relaxing place.Special Features:
- 11th AnniversarymountainheiferDined on 7/26/2014Been here before. Knew the food would be delicious. Also, knew that there would be a wait before our waitress would come to see us. If you want prompt service, it will not happen here. That being said, this a very good restuarant. I would recommend that you come and experience the peri peri sauce. If that is too Spicy for you, there many other tasty dishes to choose from. We have been here before. We will be back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!NoodlesDined on 7/26/2014We visited Peri Peri to experience South African food. We were not disappointed. Spare rib appetizer was delicious for a start. Carrot Ginger soup and the grilled Caesar Salad were. A Curry and a sausage/chicken skewered sampler for entrees was still better! All of course with the special Peri Peri sauce to spice things up - not too much - just right! Homemade pistachio ice cream for dessert. A couple of glasses of South African Pinot Grigio went well with all. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South African Fareksc927Dined on 7/19/2014Found this on a Groupon -- will be back. We are going to South Africa in the fall and wanted to try the food before going. It was excellent and the staff was so very helpful in choosing entrees. Even the owner came over and gave us tips on our upcoming trip.Special Features:
- Thrillist worthySaucyFausyDined on 7/8/2014We found this recommendation from thrillist, and were not disappointed. It was a little out of the way for us but the food was definitely worth it. The staff were friendly and really knowlegeable regarding the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe Sundays are bad?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/6/2014I wanted to like this place. They were out of 5 things from the menu including the house specialty and namesake- Peri Peri chicken. This was very disappointing.Special Features:
- BokkeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014Great place for South Africans to enjoy food from back homeSpecial Features:
- Great new restaurantserviceisimportantDined on 6/22/2014We were well taken care of by our server and the manager/owner. The food was really tasty and new to us. The pricing was very reasonable too. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pass on this oneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014Slow service, food was average for the price.the worse lamb shank ever
- Nice new resturant4jamiejamDined on 6/20/2014Staff were great and having never tried this cuisine, it was fun! Will have to try more dishes. I enjoyed my husbands ribs more than the shrimp I had. Was good, but not wowing. Will be back to try more options of a new cusine.Special Features:
- Nice LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014Good food, interesting selection. Appetizers and salads outweighed the entrees. Would return for lunch and a light bite of appetizers and a salad with a glass of wine. Still can't decide if this restaurant will remain open for to long. While it was pleasant, definitely not a show stopper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A minor hiccup..dragonladyDined on 6/14/2014I made a reservation thru Open Table. When we got there, table wasn't quite ready. The hostess didn't seem to be wake up yet. My reservation was for 5 people, they grabbed a chair and put it at the end of the table, then placed 5 settings down. That's the only complain I have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Looking forward to something new, but disappointed. Salad and dessert were quite good, but entree only just OK.
- Good food. Friendly serversbananasplit5Dined on 6/13/2014A very open dining area with windows for walls. Nice patio seating. It would be a wonderful spot to enjoy some tasty food on a normal wonderful San Diego day. I really enjoyed the Natal curry, lamb burger, and the shrimp bisque. Amazing savory and creamy flavors on the shrimp bisque. Lamb burger was tasty but there was a bit of gristle. The Natal curry was very tasty and I would recommend putting the chutney and a little spice in it because the curry is savory, the chutney adds a nice sweetness, and the kick from the diced pepper finishes off the dish nicely. The host and server were very friendly, attentive, and helpful. I will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- Total gourmetTotalGourmetDined on 6/6/2014Food was good and price was fair. A little loud. Happy hour is good deals of food and wine. But when we ordered wine it is very small amount. Most places you get 4.5 to 5 glasses per bottle they must be getting 8 or more glasses out of the same size bottle. So come on let loose of the wine poure a real glass and we will be backSpecial Features:
- food was not tastywonanVIPDined on 6/6/2014service was good but the food was not tasty. I ordered the sausage per our waitor's suggestions but it had no taste and the consistency was weird.
- Food was good, service was poorJayJayDined on 6/4/2014We were a party of 13. it tool 2 and half hours. Party members who order the all you can eat curry, waited 25-30 minutes between each serving. One party member's steak did not arrive until the rest of the party had completed their meal (less the curry folks who were still waiting on the second dish)
- 1st Try Not So Goody-GoodySantaluzFoodieDined on 6/2/2014Went for our first visit last week & started with the servers suggested Seafood Corn Husks which had a nice corn flavor but the shrimp were cooked to the point that they were hard. As a suggested appetizer this didn't get the evening off to a great start. Since it was our first time we ordered the Chicken Peri-Peri. Listed on the menu as "Tender, half spring chicken, marinated and flame-roasted. Mild heat" it was good - not great. I expected a moist roasted chicken & it was too dry for my taste but full of flavor. Served on a small bed of Basmati rice with a tasty mix cardamom & cumin & a side of fries. The Peri-Peri sauce was a delicious mix of flavors! If this was a $8 plate lunch I'd be happy, but at the $15 price it was a let down.
- Good Neighborhood Find!WannaBFoodiEDined on 5/30/2014Excited to try this place & happy to see it was busy! (The space has turned over a few times in not a long time frame.) The prawn appetizer was our favorite, overall. Very simple but incredibly tasty. My other favorites were the spinach & arugula salad and the beef kabob. Other dishes (Peri Peri chicken, homemade sausage) were tasty, but will try something different next time. Good kids' menu, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindLizardbellyDined on 5/28/2014We are visiting from Arizona and my parents suggested Applebee's or Chili's. We have a rule: while traveling, no eating at a place we could find at home and never eat at a chain unless we have no other choice. Peri Peri was an interesting find given its focus on South African food. We all tried something different: lamb burger, Natal beef curry and the steak and kabob combo. All were wonderful and featured flavors that were new to us. Even the children's meals were amazing and easily constituted a suitable adult meal. The Service was very friendly and impeccable. As we left, I was envious of the people who lived across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Might give it another tryDebmonaDined on 5/25/2014My husband and I went with another couple to Peri Peri. The owner and waitress were very friendly. The food took quite awhile to arrive and when it did my husband's Peri Peri chicken was very under-cooked and very pink. He sent it back and the rest of us proceeded with our food. Two of us had lamb burgers and the other had a Caesar's salad with prawns. The lamb burger was tasty although I was unimpressed with the portion size for the price. It took an interminable amount of time for the new chicken to arrive. When it did it was reasonably tasty but could have been chicken from any restaurant-no hint of the peri peri tang. We were surprised that the dish wasn't comped or that we weren't offered something for the inconvenience.
- Excellent Meal can't wait to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Four of us each ate different meals and each one was more delicious than the next!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Service can be improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014We were seated at the table and shown the wine list. The waitress recommended a wine which they were out of stock (We were specifically looking for South African wines to pair with the meal). I asked for a South African Merlot and the waitress returned with a Sonoma County wine. This was thoroughly disappointing as we came to experience South African cuisine and delights. Fish and shrimp portions were small (no one recommended we could double up on the portions). The Peri -Peri chicken was bland ......totally disappointing. The lamb shank, lamb burger and Saag curry are a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confusd in PQ...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2014I wish Peri-Peri the best as they're a local neighborhood restaurant, but each time we've been there some menu items were not available. Even the special email advertised "special" dish wasn't available, which is what we went for... Odd... Not sure if we'll be back soon... They really need to get it together, as I'd hate to see them go out of business.Special Features:
- Good MenuBlackhorseVIPDined on 5/9/2014I grew up in South Africa so I was impressed to find a menu with genuine South African food. The prawns were fresh and tasty. The curry, however, was on the dry side but the owner quickly compted the item when we mentioned it. Good place. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good but ...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014Nice food but portion is kind of small even for ladies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/24/2014What a find! Great, flavorful food and friendly service.Special Features:
- The following 8 reviews are from the Peri Peri reviews archive.
- Wonderful South AFrican foodFredDined on 4/17/2014We treasured the South African flavours of Peri-Peri. The food was excellent and we will be back many times to try out more. We found our favourite South African wines on the menu as well. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Taste of South AfricaFoodieDined on 4/13/2014Very nice end to a Sunday afternoon, trying the new Peri Peri in Torrey Highlands. Really liked the curry beef dish and the shrimp bisque. Full flavors, nicely prepared and presented. Will go back for chicken peri peri and Boerewors. Our server was great. Always attentive and good humored. But never in the way. The restaurant also has a bar. Try it!Special Features:
- Fantastic!jlauVIPDined on 4/13/2014Food was phenomenal and friendly service. Appreciation of something different. Enjoyed everything we had. The Seafood Corn Husk was so good! Peri Peri Chicken was great (minus the soggy fries). Watch out for the sauce, the heat comes on late and is a surprise! A fantastic addition to the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceLindseyVIPDined on 4/12/2014A great restaurant! The food was delicious, the service was fantastic, and the price is incredible for the quality. I've been to South Africa a few times and the food at Peri Peri took me right back...curry, boerwoers, and Pinotage!Special Features:
- Enjoyed it!DBinSDDined on 4/8/2014South African fare. The restaurant is still in the process of perfecting their recipes (Bobotie) and they are very open to feedback. Lots of South African accents could be heard there which is a good sign. This place has a lot of promise. A little difficult because non-South Africans may not fully appreciate the menu for what it is (some cultural and historical references may be helpful, i.e. where the dish developed..which ethnic group in SA inspired it, etc.); whereas South Africans may be comparing with the original dishes they remember from their homeland! Overall, an enjoyable and tasty experience.Special Features:
- South African food is great!ChargerFanDined on 4/2/2014I took my friend here for her birthday this week and we really enjoyed it! Beautiful atmosphere. We were adventurous and had never had S. African fare so we asked the waitress for her recommendation for a wine and food and she gave us wonderful advice. My friend had the Saag Curry with chicken and I had the Chicken Peri-Peri. Both dishes were wonderful and the Peri-Peri hot sauce is served on the side so you can add as much as you want. The wine was delicious! We ordered a bottle of the 2012 La Merika Pinot Noir and it was light bodied but full of flavor. We have a very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.