7845 Highlands Village Place Ste C101
San Diego, CA 92129Neighborhood:
South AfricanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.periperisd.com/
- Phone: 8585382282x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, South African
- Executive Chef: Kenny Raponi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Peri Peri
Experience the spices and flavors of Southern Africa with it's rich heritage of Indonesian, Indian, Malaysian, and Dutch influences. Sometimes spicy, sometimes not. Always flavorful and aromatic. Please join us for a dining experience unlike any other in San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Peri Peri - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Peri Peri reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (24)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (14)good for groups (12)special occasion (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- South African ethnic-Wonderful!foodiecutie5Dined on 10/16/2014Service was great, food was excellent, the prices reasonable and ambiance was very good. Not high end. The Peri Peri selections were excellent with the sides of rice and vegetables (you must ask for vegetables or you will get rice and fries!). The two desserts we tried were out of this world! The carrot cake is different from what you get from a bakery. It does not have nuts or frosting but is delicious with lots of spice. The pudding cake (can't remember what it was called) was a very moist cake with some coconut-probably enough for two but I ate it all! I'm not really a dessert person but these two were not overly sweet, which I love. I also ate the entire Half Chicken Peri Peri! I'm going back! Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Neighborhood FindJudyDined on 10/16/2014Peri Peri was a great surprise. There were four of us & we all got different entrees. They were all excellent. The food was so good that we all got dessert, too! All of those were really good - especially the honey cake. Even better yet - there was a wonderful acoustical guitarist playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014They were out of a lot of items. The mashed potatoes I had were cold and lumpy. My husbands meal was dry and not very good. Not worth what we paid. Would not recommend the restaurant.
- Another Great MealRichDined on 10/11/2014As has been the case very time before, a great meail, excellent service. PerfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014This is a new restaurant with a South African theme. I would especially recommend the curry! A bit higher in price for something small and in a strip mall but I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South African food at Peri PeriSouthAfricanDined on 10/6/2014Peri Peri offers a delicious selection of South African cuisine. I recommend the Peri Peri prawns, Peri Peri chicken, lamb shank, curries and sosaties (kebabs). The waitresses are very attentive and the ambiance pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvfishDined on 10/6/2014Had the prawns w/ veggies over basmati rice. The veggies were great, the dish tasty BUT the prawns and rice were not hot or even warm, like they had been sitting out waiting for the veggies which were hot and tasty. Needed to be warmed up. Wine was good. Husband had portuguese steak with fries and his was dish was hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Africa in Del MargastronomechinonaisDined on 9/30/2014Had two prawn dishes during restaurant week - a nice bisque and a grilled platter. Very well prepared and tasty. They suggested I (sparingly) use their hot sauce - it was wonderful. All dishes come with crispy rice and fries which is reportedly a South African tradition. I ate it all but could have done without the fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peri-PeriBaronessCoreDined on 9/27/2014The hot dishes are very good - portobello mushroom appetizer, short rib appetizer, natal curry, lamb shank, prawns or chicken peri-peri. Very intrigued by the Hot Rock Filet Mignon; might have to try that next time. Salads are disappointing - the grilled caesar was weird and the spinach/arugula salad was just off proportion wise. Needed more pear and goat cheese, a little less dressing to balance the abundance of greens. Would have also preferred more arugula to the spinach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Kid FriendlyDavidDined on 9/27/2014We had 5 kids and you would think the service would be quicker but it took over an hour for our food to arrive. Not sure what the problem is but this is the 2nd time this has happen and its going to be the last, we're not going back, which is a shame its a nice placeSpecial Features:
- Uneven experienceSOrionDined on 9/26/2014My friend and I came here for SDRW. I ordered the pre fixe menu and she stuck with the regular menu. I ordered the shrimp and avocado app, the lamb shank and the sponge cake dessert. The app was fine, not amazing; the lamb was under seasoned and the couscous was way overcooked; the sponge cake tasted good and I liked the texture but it finished off a very underwhelming meal. I thought my friend's curry was better so I may decide to come back. Unfortunately I was not impressed for my first visit.
- Do not go if you crave vegetablesmycroxyxDined on 9/24/2014What Peri Peri does serve is very good. What they do not have on any plate is vegetables or fruit. This a Protein and Carb heavy serving. Fries with your rice is standard. No vegetable on the menu. While they do have Sagg which is awesome the small amount of spinich is not a serving of vegetables.
- DianeVIPDined on 9/24/2014The food and the service were not very good. Would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Peri Peri continues to be wonderfulFoodLoverDined on 9/24/2014I've eaten at Peri Peri about five times now, and have never been disappointed. Those of us in the area truly want this restaurant to survive, so I'm always happy when I go to see the tables filled! The food is always fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Fan of South African!foodie4funDined on 9/23/2014My friend and I have been talking about trying South African fare for a while now because we live near a place that we drive by often, but we just never got around to it. That's why I was very excited when I discovered a South African restaurant on the Restaurant Week list! The food is very flavorful and the place is very cute inside. I can't wait to go back and explore more of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peri PeriIeatfoodDined on 9/21/2014My fortified and I went to Peri Peri for lunch during restaurant week. It was $15 for two courses. We were more than satisfied with the quality and amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchGoodfoodDined on 9/21/2014Me and my boyfriend went here for restaurant week. I like the decor of the restaurant. The beef curry and spinach curry could use more seasoning and spice. The lamb burger was good however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceLeoHDined on 9/20/2014For a taste of South Africa this is a great place. We took the whole family and the kids enjoyed the food as well. We tried 4 appetizers, two main courses and three deserts. All very good. The server was very accommodating as well. Good parking. Kind of odd to get to,not hard, just rpound about. Use your GPS and it will be fine.Special Features:
- Never a Disappointment!CarolVIPDined on 9/18/2014Everytime I go here I receive attentive service from knowledgeable staff. Last night I had the lamb burger, it was amazing!Special Features:
- I look forward to my next visit!GoToMauiVIPDined on 9/14/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. It's refreshing to actually find something different out there. I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Very tasty & unique, especially if you like spicy foods.
- South African?RodakesqDined on 8/19/2014Yes! Less weird than Australian somehow. It was 1:30 on a Tuesday afternoon and pretty quiet. Their curry was fantastic, so was the arugula salad. They also had burgers, which were huge. A great place to stop and visit over a white wine spritzer, too. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raw chicken, not once but twiceStienDined on 8/16/2014We were looking forward to dinner at Peri Peri. One of the dishes we ordered was the signature dish, flame grilled Peri Peri chicken. The chicken came out and we split it up into pieces. Upon closer inspection, I noticed some redness around the bone and definitely found some undercooked chicken. When we alerted the staff, they made a quick apology and took away the dish. About 15 mins later, the dish returned this time the outside was very crispy and so we were all thinking that it was overdone but at least it was cooked. I cut into the thigh piece and there was blood coming out of the meat. The chef was apologetic but said he was having issues with the chicken that evening, that it had arrived frozen... so we weren't the only ones
- Great findCoolradDined on 8/15/2014The food was delicious. Great service. Prices are very reasonable. A location like del mar highlands is more fitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going to make itOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Bad service. Limited menu. Bad preparation. Grouchy host. What else can I say?
- A taste of African fine diningwe8thereDined on 8/10/2014I've travelled a lot...and when I first walked in the door at Peri Peri, I knew that I would be pleased with their whole presentation. Their staff is well trained and very responsive. Their menu is nicely designed with just enough breadth and depth to showcase their special talents. The atmosphere and decor took me immediately back to Africa while completely avoiding any hint of tacky or forced. We enjoyed food from across their entire menu and were delighted with all. There was great attention to color, texture, balance and flavor without having to go over the top. It almost made me feel like an expat in Africa again....a VERY good feeling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedScottEVIPDined on 8/8/2014You wouldn't know it by the location - in a strip mall, at a spot where many mediocre restaurants have come and gone in the past - but Peri Peri has interesting food and wine at reasonable prices. We've been there twice now, and each time the host is exceptionally jovial, and finds us a good seat. The dishes are unusual when compared to the typical strip mall fare, largely South African influenced; a nice change from Mexican and Italian. We had a salad which was decent (not outstanding), and shared an entree making use of the Peri Peri chile. Yum! Service was good, the food was good, and my shiraz was tasty. I'm sure we'll go back.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant good valuePeriPeriDined on 8/4/2014Great ambience, great food, and reasonable prices for what you get. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peri periAbzmomDined on 8/2/2014I went with a group, I had never had South African food before. The lamb burger was very good. We had 2 children who had Mac & cheese, but that looked good too. The service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotmcgeefoodieDined on 7/31/2014The restaurant was beautiful in decor. It was not a large place, but seated a fair number of people comfortably. The service seemed very slow based on the number of people in the restaurant; it took an hour to get our food after being seated. The food was great, even for the kids. My husband and I would love to return for a date night if we were from this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableFoodieDined on 7/30/2014We came late, after they had a very busy night, so they were all out of our favorite dish, the shrimp bisque. too bad. We enjoyed the Natal curry and the Chicken Saag curry. When you order don't anticipate that at the recipes will be like what you know of Indian or other food. The Saag was not a spinach sauce, it was a very light concoction with bits of spinach in it. I recommend to get it with chicken, it was tender and flavorful. Service was great, as usual. Its a nice relaxing place.Special Features:
- 11th AnniversarymountainheiferDined on 7/26/2014Been here before. Knew the food would be delicious. Also, knew that there would be a wait before our waitress would come to see us. If you want prompt service, it will not happen here. That being said, this a very good restuarant. I would recommend that you come and experience the peri peri sauce. If that is too Spicy for you, there many other tasty dishes to choose from. We have been here before. We will be back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!NoodlesDined on 7/26/2014We visited Peri Peri to experience South African food. We were not disappointed. Spare rib appetizer was delicious for a start. Carrot Ginger soup and the grilled Caesar Salad were. A Curry and a sausage/chicken skewered sampler for entrees was still better! All of course with the special Peri Peri sauce to spice things up - not too much - just right! Homemade pistachio ice cream for dessert. A couple of glasses of South African Pinot Grigio went well with all. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South African Fareksc927Dined on 7/19/2014Found this on a Groupon -- will be back. We are going to South Africa in the fall and wanted to try the food before going. It was excellent and the staff was so very helpful in choosing entrees. Even the owner came over and gave us tips on our upcoming trip.Special Features:
- Thrillist worthySaucyFausyDined on 7/8/2014We found this recommendation from thrillist, and were not disappointed. It was a little out of the way for us but the food was definitely worth it. The staff were friendly and really knowlegeable regarding the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe Sundays are bad?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/6/2014I wanted to like this place. They were out of 5 things from the menu including the house specialty and namesake- Peri Peri chicken. This was very disappointing.Special Features:
- BokkeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014Great place for South Africans to enjoy food from back homeSpecial Features:
- The following 28 reviews are from the Peri Peri reviews archive.
- Great new restaurantserviceisimportantDined on 6/22/2014We were well taken care of by our server and the manager/owner. The food was really tasty and new to us. The pricing was very reasonable too. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pass on this oneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014Slow service, food was average for the price.the worse lamb shank ever
- Nice new resturant4jamiejamVIPDined on 6/20/2014Staff were great and having never tried this cuisine, it was fun! Will have to try more dishes. I enjoyed my husbands ribs more than the shrimp I had. Was good, but not wowing. Will be back to try more options of a new cusine.Special Features: