1800 N Lincoln
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://perennialchicago.com/
- Phone: 3129817070x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Hours: Monday-Thursday 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm to 9:00pm
Brunch Hours: Saturday & Sunday 9:00am to 2:00pm
Breakfast Hours: Monday-Friday 7:00am-11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Virant
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Special event options available. Please contact Taylor Crowley at 312-479-1434.
A word from Perennial Virant
Perennial Virant is a collaborative effort between Boka Restaurant Group and acclaimed Chef Paul Virant. Paul won Food & Wine Best New Chef America 2007 and was a James Beard finalist for Best Chef Great Lakes 2011. The modestly priced menu is comprised of small, medium, and large plates.Continued
Perennial Virant has one of the most magnificent patios in Chicago located right across from the Green City Market. Brunch is served both Saturday and Sunday.
Perennial Virant has one of the most magnificent patios in Chicago located right across from the Green City Market. Brunch is served both Saturday and Sunday.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Perennial Virant reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)neighborhood gem (90)great for outdoor dining (88)special occasion (84)great for brunch (77)romantic (52)good for groups (51)hot spot (34)scenic view (33)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Not their fault but,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The AC was out in the adjoining hotel and so there was no AC in the restaurant. Given that I had made a reservation, the restaurant could have called to inform us. It was so hot in the restaurant it absolutely ruined the dining experience for us.Special Features:
- 5 star - with one big cautionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/20144 diners had an outstanding meal on a Saturday night - every dish was superb, as was the service. 1 big caution - we sat by the open window facing Wells St., late in the evening a garbage truck pulled up next to us, loaded garbage from the adjacent hotel, and then spent the next 15 minutes compacting its load. Noise and smell were overwhelming - no way to speak or eat until it was done, and the room clapped and cheered when the truck finally left. Since this was obviously a private contract, I guess that this is a regular exercise. If so, the hotel could easily arrange for a pick-up some other time, and the restaurant (with encouragement from patrons) should insist on it. But for this problem, the experience and the food were 5 star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food and presentation. Wholeheartedly recommend it to food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We have brunched at PV twice now, and both times the food has been outstanding. They have traditional brunch food but with their own unique take. Everything is fresh and local when possible, and they do lots of canning and pickling. Service is very friendly and attentive. It's a bit on the noisy side, at least when they have their giant windows open to the street/park. But this was good for us with two kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for out of town guestsHard2WantDined on 8/24/2014Go for the great food and then take the elevator up to pair with the J. Parker's rooftop views and your out of town guests will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSarahchiDined on 8/23/2014I absolutely loved this meal. We started with a grilled wheel of Camembert-- topped with blueberries and served with a sweet zucchini bread. It was out of this world good. I couldn't imagine a much better taste combination. I had salmon (best I've ever had) and my husband had scallops. Everything was beautifully presented and incredibly delicious and fresh. Service was great and they could not have been nicer when I called and said we ran into some kind of traffic issue in the south loop. That was so relieving! Only minor complaint: tables are very close to one another. There was also a rowdy wedding group that appeared to be having cocktails prior to the reception. Not ideal when I was trying to have a nice dinner with my husbandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious original foodfest4theloveoffoodDined on 8/22/2014More tempting items on the menu than we could order. What we ordered was very well presented, delicious combination of flavors, ample portions. The service was upbeat and efficient. The server was knowledgable and her recommendations were right on the mark. Will definitely return to this fine eating spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendoid takeover2muchmediaVIPDined on 8/22/2014We hadn't been here in several years although we live in the hood because the price point per value matrix was off kilter but decided to give it another go. The restaurant is located in the recently renovated Lincoln Hotel with its hipster roof top bar. Across the street from the park with a spacious sidewalk cafe on a relatively quiet side street it enjoys a great location. The crowd on a slow August Friday night was older casually dressed tourists and young locals teetering in stilettos. The menu was the usual farm to table array but super heavy on the pickled briny palate. Everything had a slightly sour taste, not in a good way. Nothing was that great. And prices were about 25% higher that many competitors. Skip it.Special Features:
- Yummy!MikeandMoDined on 8/17/2014Went for brunch this past Sunday. Great food, subtle and unique flavors. Outside seating and open window seating. Convenient to Lincoln Park Zoo. Noisy but not totally deafening. Will return when in the neighborhood again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LiveoakDined on 8/16/2014Gnocchi was stellar Paul vs bread is perfection. Just go go go babySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Stars from Ladies Supper Club!Foodie4lifeDined on 8/15/2014For all 7 of us ladies who make up our ladies supper club to say we rate the overall experience 5 stars is saying a lot. From the moment I made the reservation the service was fantastic and on point, the ambience was beautiful yet simple and unpretentious, and most importantly the food was so delicious! We ordered a bunch of different appetizers and entres but some of the favorites were the rice cake and squash appetizers. For entrees definitely need to try the salmon, whitefish or pig dish. We would absolutely come back to this restaurant again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gizmoVIPDined on 8/10/2014The restaurant was very busy, service was very slow, which would have made the expierence better. Drinks took a long time to come. Maybe, dinner would be better.Special Features:
- Good, but not worth a tripJlynn41Dined on 8/10/2014I like the location, and love that they take reservations, but wasn't overly impressed with the food. The omelette was kind of bland, the biscuits and gravy were okay (although the mimosas were good). I expected more from the menu. Also was disappointed that they took shrimp and grits off the menu (apparently awhile ago), but left it on their website. With all of the other brunch options out there in Chicago, I think I would try something else next time, unless we really wanted a place that would take resos.Special Features:
- Brunch B-Day celebrationChiryanVIPDined on 8/10/2014The biscuits and gravy and French toast were gone from our plates quickly because of how well we enjoyed them. This is definitely a popular spot that I think anyone would appreciate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014Food was tasty. The noise level was too high for any conversation.Special Features:
- Wedding Day Brunch With The BoysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I had a blast because of the occasion. And service was very friendly and attentive. I received a complimentary drink and desert. But food was just alright (biscuits and gravy was more of a biscuits in gravy soup), and our 6 entrees each arrived about 5 minutes apart. Awkward...Special Features:
- Amazing for Wife's BirthdayandrewjhodgesDined on 8/1/2014I was referred to Perennial Virant by a friend as a romantic restaurant for my wife's birthday. We could not have been happier with the service, food, and atmosphere. We loved our meal so much we even bought Paul's cookbook so we could attempt to make his apple butter and jams!Special Features:
- Food! :) ... Beverages :(NYNCTXDined on 8/1/2014We were seated promptly; drink orders were not taken in an expeditious manner, as our server was "held up" at another table ACROSS THE ROOM. The manager finally noticed & stepped in to assist. One cocktail was well made; the other required a do-over. Again, not performed expeditiously. The food was fantastic start to finish! Synergistic blends of local, seasonal deliciousness. The wine list is underwhelming & not at all user friendly. We would have ordered a bottle with dinner, if an offering was made. With our (DELICIOUS) desert we opted for a glass of bubbles & one of grappa. Both were very disappointing (as our first choices were unavailable, we accepted a recommendation) which did nothing to enhance our desert. The coffee was decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perennial Virant did not disappointForksDined on 7/29/2014I was looking for a unique but moderately priced dining experience for a business dinner. We arrived early and had drinks at the bar. The server was attentive and friendly. Our table was ready when we were and the service remained outstanding throughout dinner. The server was very knowledgeable of the restaurants philosophies and knew the menu well. She was quick to offer suggestions based on preferences and taste. She also queried each guest about food allergies (nice touch and is a nice reminder that each dish is prepared to order). I had the Beef Loin which was cooked to perfection. The dish was so exceptional, I only was able to eat half, the rest went to "tasters" at my table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceEmmettsreviewsDined on 7/28/2014Great spot in Lincoln Park, very good food and exceptional service. One of Chicago best.Special Features:
- Nice spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014Fulfilled our brunch requirements very well. Timely seating, delicious selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Summer dinning experienceErin2044Dined on 7/25/2014The patio is beautiful and the food is delicious. I love the 'farm to table' approach and the fact that the restaurant wastes nothing. I had been looking forward to my dinner here for a long time and I was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014My husband and I have been several times now and we absolutely love it. Brunch was OK, but dinner is delicious. The wait staff is very attentive and the food is very freshSpecial Features:
- Perfect experience!PSUgirlDined on 7/22/2014It was our first time at Perennial Virant and it did not disappoint! We chose to spend our 8 year anniversary here because we'd heard great things. The food & service was excellent, and the staff went out of the way to make our evening special. The food was incredible-unique dishes that were so flavorful. It was first class service and I'll definitely be going back & recommending to others.Special Features:
- Breakfast celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Great location. Limited options on the menu, but all are good. Best sticky bun I ever had.Special Features:
- Just PerfectptfoodieDined on 7/17/2014I went with my 3 sisters and typically it's hard to please everyone. Not this time. Perennial Virant was perfect in every way for what we were looking for which was a great food experience in a great location with great ambiance. PV hit on all three with the first - great food - being the real perfection of the evening. I will be back with our without the sisters.Special Features:
- still greatNYCfoodiesnobDined on 7/12/2014This was my second time here and the food continues to be terrific. I love the seasonal selection and a couple girlfriends and I split a few small plates and each was better than the next. Our waitress wasn't incredibly friendly but brought out a special birthday dessert for my friend which was really nice. Skip the chocolate chip cookies, and go for the cocktails.Special Features:
- From signature cocktails to dessertdateniteDined on 7/5/2014Everything we ordered was fresh and flavor-filled! We enjoyed the melding of textures and complimenting flavors in the dishes we ordered. Our server was friendly and knowledgable, and we were more than pleased with the dishes she recommended! Living in Western Springs, we've cocktailed/dined at Vie (also excellent) a number of times, but it was fun to escape the suburbs for the city-feel of Perennial Virant. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great at Perennial VirantWordUpDined on 6/29/2014I have been coming here for about 3 years and I have never had anything but a phenomenal experience and meal. The staff is always well timed and super friendly. On top of that, you would be very hard pressed to find a more professional and wonder person of a Chef as Paul Virant, he is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All PerfectDwpLjpVIPDined on 6/28/20144 of us went on a Saturday early evening. All 4 of us were ecstatic with the delicious food and impeccable service.
- Keeps getting betterMomSaysVIPDined on 6/21/2014We were so pleased that we returned. All the dishes have many interesting components and were well balanced with little surprises that showcase the Chef's creativity. Wonderful shared starters: Beets & strawberry salad, pickled fish, green tomatoes. Chicken Ballantine. Pike. Just scan the seasonal menu. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014waitress was great and very patient with our indecisive group of 6Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvfoodVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great service. great location. conversation was a bit difficult due to the noise level. Cocktails very yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Put it on your bucket listanniversaryDined on 6/21/2014Not inexpensive, but well worth the cost for a great dining experience. Lively bar scene, creative bartender, fine dining, inventive cuisine using local, sustainable, seasonal ingredients in the hands of a top chef. Great location in Lincoln Park in the edgy Hotel Lincoln.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousluv2VIPDined on 6/19/2014wonderful cocktail creations. fish cooked just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic and wonderfulHappyDinerDined on 6/15/2014The interior is simple and elegant, the service warm, attentive and knowledgeable and the food fresh and inventive. I would definitely return to Perennial Virant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Brunch on PatioEmilyRiverNorthVIPDined on 6/15/2014I had brunch on the patio with a couple of friends this past weekend... We had a reservation for 11:30, but they made us wait an additional 15 to 20 minutes for a table outside. The food was great and they were very accommodating to my gluten allergy. We had the omelet, fried chicken sandwich, and homemade sausage - the sausage was the best. The service was really slow, and they never brought us the side of bacon we ordered. However, it was still nice to sit outside and enjoy the good weather.Special Features:
- WorthwhileCathyBethDined on 6/15/2014Different, but yummy choices for a weekend breakfast. You have to try the mini homemade doughnuts! Love their special drink options.Special Features:
- Seasonal pickeledJeromeDined on 6/10/2014Loved the food there! Very special, fresh, seasonal, pickeled, simple and authentic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it gets.frankoDined on 6/9/2014If you want to get away from the ordinary, Virant's Lincoln Park restaurant is the place for you. A foodie's paradise for both carnivores and vegetarians.Special Features: