1800 N Lincoln
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://perennialchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 981-7070
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Hours: Monday-Thursday 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm to 9:00pm
Brunch Hours: Saturday & Sunday 9:00am to 2:00pm
Breakfast Hours: Monday-Friday 7:00am-11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Virant
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Special event options available. Please contact Taylor Crowley at 312-479-1434.
A word from Perennial Virant
Perennial Virant is a collaborative effort between Boka Restaurant Group and acclaimed Chef Paul Virant. Paul won Food & Wine Best New Chef America 2007 and was a James Beard finalist for Best Chef Great Lakes 2011. The modestly priced menu is comprised of small, medium, and large plates.Continued
Perennial Virant has one of the most magnificent patios in Chicago located right across from the Green City Market. Brunch is served both Saturday and Sunday.
Perennial Virant has one of the most magnificent patios in Chicago located right across from the Green City Market. Brunch is served both Saturday and Sunday.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Perennial Virant reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)neighborhood gem (71)special occasion (56)great for brunch (49)good for groups (48)great for outdoor dining (46)romantic (37)hot spot (33)notable wine list (21)scenic view (19)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (11)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (4)Show More
- Knowledgeable staff, great foodjrolandruDined on 11/23/2014We had a terrific experience, as usual. The food was unique and the staff could not be more helpful and accommodating. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014Had a great Sunday brunch experience at Perennial. The donut was tasty and fun to split. Biscuits and gravy and chilaquiles were delicious and inspired takes on some breakfast classics. Nice little beer list and while extremely fresh, the bloody mary was a little pulpy and light on flavor. Service was well paced and thoughtful. I'd go back and would recommend for those looking for a more upscale brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchdinemuchVIPDined on 11/16/2014Great spot for brunch! Great atmosphere. Great service. Wait staff all friendly. Sticky buns are to die for!! All the entrees have great combinations of flavors. Too many good options to choice from. Different from your normal breakfast options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky and deliciousJeanneDined on 11/15/2014Our appetizers were hands down perfect. The bone marrow was succulent and the accompanying bread was perfectly toasted. I am still thinking about it 2 days later. The venison meatballs were so flavorful that I could have licked the plate. Also notable were the mushroom gnocchi and the pumpkin beignets. I had the scallops with crispy kale which for me was good but not as good as the apps. Other comments from our table of 6 was that the sausage was a bit salty. Although the hotel itself looks a bit like walking I to a youth hostel, the restaurant is beautiful. Warm hues and very comfortable. The service was impeccable. It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for everyoneEatingIsGr8Dined on 11/8/2014While I can see how a lot of people like this restaurant, my experience wasn't great. They started out by seating us 30 mins later than our reservation, which they did apologize for profusely. They also comped our champagne, which was certainly appreciated. The service was fine, although the waiter seemed annoyed at our dietary restrictions and didn't try very hard to help us select options that were OK for us to eat. The food was fine. The waiter raved about the beet salad when we ordered it, but it wasn't anything special. I ordered the beef, which was very good, but no one else seemed happy with their meals.Special Features:
- weeknight diningEatingwell1Dined on 11/8/2014We had a good meal. Our group was four in number and our only issue was that we were rushed. On a couple of occasions, the wait staff presented and put hands on plates to take them away when the diner was truly only about 1/3 done. There were plenty of tables, we were there early (6:00 PM to 7:30PM) and there was no apparent rush to us. However, it happened 4 or 5 times by both the waitress and the table busser. Apparently it is a habit they have, no matter what the table need. The food was excellent - our group had the salmon, the scallops and the charcouterie and all said they would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Than We ExpectedSharonVIPDined on 11/5/2014We'd read reviews of Perennial Virant and expected tiny entrees, but when my husband and I both ordered the Seared Diver Sea Scallops, I thought there would be three or four scallops, but there were five and they were huge! The scallops were perfectly cooked served over braised white beans, crispy ham, and fried kale with a tangy mustard vinaigrette. The dish was perfect and I could only eat four scallops since they were so large. We had Chocolate Hazelnut Marjolaine for dessert, a gorgeously light torte with almond hazelnut brittle, homemade ice cream and cocoa nib coulis. Our wine pairings were perfect. Loved it!Special Features:
- Not worth the pricetagNeCoovDined on 11/2/2014I was really disappointed by Perennial. I had been here years ago for dinner and brunch before the name and chef changed and at that time I loved it. Not anymore. We had brunch and first of all the restaurant was freezing cold. Service was okay but the food was downright bad. I had a skillet which had little flavor, was very greasy and needed seasoning. The bread tangent served alongside was hard as a rock and tasted like cardboard. My husband ordered the omelet which was actually worse than my skillet. It was topped with garnishes but the omelet itself lacked seasoning and did it taste at all like the description. The bill was so overpriced especially considering we didn't even have alcohol. $40 for an omelet, skillet and some coffee?Special Features:
- So-so brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/2/2014The brunch menu was somewhat limited and meat heavy. What was there was interesting, well conceived and tasty but perhaps too clever by half. Maybe a couple of simpler dishes for people who don't want the full foodie experience that early in the day. My biggest complaint was the service. I got tired of counting how many servers walked by my empty coffee cup before I flagged one down for a refill (just the one refill). It's BRUNCH people, pretty basic service to keep the coffee flowing.
- Can't Wait to Go BackOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/1/2014We enjoyed this dinner so much, that we immediately booked our son's rehearsal dinner in the Lounge! The housemade jams, chutneys, pickles, meats, etc etc are incredible, and the fresh approach to every dish we enjoyed was absolutely delightful. Our son and his fiancee are vegan, and the chef was so accommodating to them - it made the evening stress-free and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Brunchcalg5Dined on 10/26/2014Our hotel recommended brunch here so we walked up from our hotel. Great bright room on an interesting corner with lots of things going on in a vibrant interesting neighborhood. We were really glad to walk around in Lincoln Park on a sunny cool Sunday afternoon. Food and Drinks were great- the food took a little while to arrive but we were not in a hurry so no worries.Special Features:
- What HappenedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/24/2014I've been to this restaurant 4 or 5 times and will not be back. The last time I was here I thought it had gone downhill but gave it another try. They are trying so hard to be cutting edge that the food has become mediocre. Too bad, used to be great.
- Family funSanFranVisitorDined on 10/18/2014I reserved a table for 9 of my fily members last week and we all had an amazing meal and perfect service. And part of our family was from out of town and they couldn't stop raving about how impressed they were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOfflawVIPDined on 10/17/2014So after having been a few times, noticing their fall and winter menus lean towards the heavy side. If the dishes we had were in fact light/very light on butter and fat as we requested, watch out for regular prep. Won't be rushing back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2014Had to organize a business dinner, and rather than stick with downtown dining spots, decided to head outside the downtown zone for a change. I reserved a tabel at Perennial Virant because it would be an easy cab ride from downtown and the menu looked like it would appeal to a wide range of tastes. The staff was very friendly upon our arrival and seated us immediately. Bread was served soon after we were seated and it was deliciously fresh...we had them bring a second serving it was so good. Our food was well prepared and very aromatic. The flavors matched the aroma -- very tasty! Only complaint is that the food was a little saltier than I'd like, but certainly not overpowering. The flavors still came through.Special Features:
- Fantastic!ShannonDined on 10/11/2014Some of the best food I've had in a very long time. Amazing cocktails too! Zero complaints! I will come back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnboraloraDined on 10/1/2014Our party of 3 went on a weeknight and the restaurant was not busy. We enjoyed cocktails at the bar before being seated in a cozy booth. We shared quite a few large and small plates, each better than the last. This is a pricey place, but worth it. The server was knowledgeable and provided some good recommendations. Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:
- Unique and Delicious FoodPWdinerVIPDined on 10/1/2014We dined at Perennial Virant prior to attending the theatre. Our server accommodated the time constraints and brought each course perfectly timed. The food was amazing. Our server was enthusiastic about the menu and answered all our questions, making great recommendations. Each dish was beautifully presented and the tastes were wonderful.Special Features:
- Outstanding service; great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014The food at Perennial Virant is excellent. The menu is perfectly balanced and diverse in range, and each dish is thoughtfully prepared. What impressed us the most was the outstanding service. Our server was friendly, helpful, and went out of her way to ensure that my wife and I had a great experience. For that alone, we will return to PV. (Note: Skip sitting outside.)Special Features:
- An Old Town favoriteFlavorAddictDined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed sitting in the expansive outdoor area and watching the vibrant scene. The Midwest cheese board was a highlight. Located directly across the street from the Green City Market, all the food was delightfully fresh and the service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited flavorsBarney100VIPDined on 9/20/2014I was disappointed in my dinner here. If you like the flavor of olives, capers, and/or vinegar, this is your place. They are inescapable, incorporated into almost every dish. I personally do not like these flavors, so probably picked the wrong restaurant to go to. The staff mentioned with pride that the chef made his name pickling anything and everything. Good for him, but he needs to broaden out into other flavors. My husband enjoyed his meal, and I could see that there was talent in the kitchen. However, I just did not like the way anything tasted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014Had a truly special anniversary dinner at Perennial - a little service snafu when we sat down was quickly turned into an outstanding service recovery & we could not have enjoyed our experience more. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Perennial Virant DOES IT AGAIN!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014Outstanding wine, main course and yes desert choices as well Excellent service in a packed restaurant, very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for a great birthdayKatieB92084Dined on 9/20/2014We hosted a 30th birthday brunch here, and the staff could not have been more accommodating! Thank you for making it such a special day.Special Features:
- Fall DinnerLichterDined on 9/19/2014I went here with a date in the fall and ended up sitting outside. The service was remarkably fast and the noise level was just fine on the corner. I think the brunch menu might be a bit better than the dinner menu but this is still a delicious spot to stop for a bite to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Signature appsdabrewstDined on 9/18/2014Our family made a last minute reservation, which was great. Unfortunately we were seated very near the lobby entrance from the Lincoln Hotel, which made of any number of people and groups disrupting our dining. On the other hand, the food and cocktails were generally amazing, and the plaudits this place has earned over the years are well deserved.Special Features:
- Fabulous Farm to Table ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014Genius! Locating a restaurant right across the street from Green City Market so Chef can take advantage of all the fresh and local food. Perennial Virant was amazing with food that is so unusual you need extra table time to study! Ingenious combination of foods like the Green Bean Salad... green beans over cottage cheese (Trader's Point) drizzled with sumac honey and garnished with chunks of grilled peaches and almonds... amazing start to a fabulous dining experience. Jessie was engaging and shared all the pertinent background re: Chef Virant and his creations. Service was superb, atmosphere relaxing, memorable dining experience.Special Features:
- drsoupVIPDined on 9/13/2014Perhaps my favorite restaurant in Chicago. I just moved to Lincoln Park and had noticed the restaurant on several occasions, but had not ventured in. Took a chance this weekend not expecting anything "special." However, I was terribly surprised. The food was second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experiencecsHungryDined on 9/11/2014Chose this restaurant for our out-of-town cousins to provide a chance to dine outside of the typical loop and North Michigan Ave establishments. The table suited the six of us, and the dinners were good. We enjoyed it, but the food was a bit slow to arrive, and we were sometimes left with no food or drink on the table. Service was very nice and friendly.Special Features:
- ExcellentGroupsDined on 9/6/2014limited vegetarian options.Restaurant owned by same Chef as two other notable restaurants in Chicago metro area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their fault but,HungryhungryhippoDined on 8/30/2014The AC was out in the adjoining hotel and so there was no AC in the restaurant. Given that I had made a reservation, the restaurant could have called to inform us. It was so hot in the restaurant it absolutely ruined the dining experience for us.Special Features:
- 5 star - with one big cautionBBChicagoDined on 8/30/20144 diners had an outstanding meal on a Saturday night - every dish was superb, as was the service. 1 big caution - we sat by the open window facing Wells St., late in the evening a garbage truck pulled up next to us, loaded garbage from the adjacent hotel, and then spent the next 15 minutes compacting its load. Noise and smell were overwhelming - no way to speak or eat until it was done, and the room clapped and cheered when the truck finally left. Since this was obviously a private contract, I guess that this is a regular exercise. If so, the hotel could easily arrange for a pick-up some other time, and the restaurant (with encouragement from patrons) should insist on it. But for this problem, the experience and the food were 5 star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food and presentation. Wholeheartedly recommend it to food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious againHPMomDined on 8/30/2014We have brunched at PV twice now, and both times the food has been outstanding. They have traditional brunch food but with their own unique take. Everything is fresh and local when possible, and they do lots of canning and pickling. Service is very friendly and attentive. It's a bit on the noisy side, at least when they have their giant windows open to the street/park. But this was good for us with two kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for out of town guestsHard2WantVIPDined on 8/24/2014Go for the great food and then take the elevator up to pair with the J. Parker's rooftop views and your out of town guests will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSarahchiDined on 8/23/2014I absolutely loved this meal. We started with a grilled wheel of Camembert-- topped with blueberries and served with a sweet zucchini bread. It was out of this world good. I couldn't imagine a much better taste combination. I had salmon (best I've ever had) and my husband had scallops. Everything was beautifully presented and incredibly delicious and fresh. Service was great and they could not have been nicer when I called and said we ran into some kind of traffic issue in the south loop. That was so relieving! Only minor complaint: tables are very close to one another. There was also a rowdy wedding group that appeared to be having cocktails prior to the reception. Not ideal when I was trying to have a nice dinner with my husbandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious original foodfest4theloveoffoodDined on 8/22/2014More tempting items on the menu than we could order. What we ordered was very well presented, delicious combination of flavors, ample portions. The service was upbeat and efficient. The server was knowledgable and her recommendations were right on the mark. Will definitely return to this fine eating spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendoid takeover2muchmediaVIPDined on 8/22/2014We hadn't been here in several years although we live in the hood because the price point per value matrix was off kilter but decided to give it another go. The restaurant is located in the recently renovated Lincoln Hotel with its hipster roof top bar. Across the street from the park with a spacious sidewalk cafe on a relatively quiet side street it enjoys a great location. The crowd on a slow August Friday night was older casually dressed tourists and young locals teetering in stilettos. The menu was the usual farm to table array but super heavy on the pickled briny palate. Everything had a slightly sour taste, not in a good way. Nothing was that great. And prices were about 25% higher that many competitors. Skip it.Special Features:
- Yummy!MikeandMoDined on 8/17/2014Went for brunch this past Sunday. Great food, subtle and unique flavors. Outside seating and open window seating. Convenient to Lincoln Park Zoo. Noisy but not totally deafening. Will return when in the neighborhood again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LiveoakDined on 8/16/2014Gnocchi was stellar Paul vs bread is perfection. Just go go go babySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.