1347 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.perleinyc.com/
- Phone: 2124399200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm , Dinner Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm Lunch Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Saturday Lunch/Brunch: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Sunday Lunch/Brunch: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Allouache
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Custom Menus for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Event Director 212-802-5587
A word from Per Lei
Join us on a sensual journey of culinary delights created by executive chef Patrick Allouache who brings to the table interpretations of his culinary global experience guaranteed to make your mouth water. Visual delights are created by Italian Artist Fabrizio Musa who's colorful women are seductive and inviting and are bathed in a beautiful light created by the dazzling chandelier imported from Austria. The wine list boasts of over 200 award wining wines carefully handpicked. Come enjoy our outdoor seating in the warmer months!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Per Lei reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (10)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (5)romantic (4)good for groups (3)special occasion (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Second time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Was as good as the first. Had the lobster special, was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!!LgmomVIPDined on 8/19/2014Been before but service terrible, and pasta overcooked. Hope it was just a bad night as lovely restaurant in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- Consistently goodColleenVIPDined on 7/28/2014I live right across the street, and have therefore been to Per Lei a few times now. They are consistently good. Their food is excellent, as well as their service. Everyone we come in contact with is always very friendly and helpful. This past visit I took my family, and the chef actually made a lobster risotto that wasn't even on the menu for my dad. We've never been disappointed, and I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great meal.Special Features:
- Nice but Getting ExpensiveBarbaraVIPDined on 7/19/2014I've dined at Per Lei for many years and always enjoyed it. The food is always good - and was terrific Saturday night - and the staff very nice. But the prices have gone up and the wine list prices ($450??) were absurd. If this is an experiment, Per Lei needs to end it!Special Features:
- liketoeatVIPDined on 7/14/2014A very nice Italian restaurant with a menu that is different from the usual. We dined with another couple, and three of us had the rack of lamb, which was delicious. One had the pasta special, which he said was very good as well. Portions are generous. The service was attentive without being overbearing. Per Lei is not inexpensive, but is a good bet for a special night out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pleasant timeImpressMeDined on 7/6/2014This was a nice neighborhood restaurant the service was adequate and the food was good. I went there for brunch and sat outside on the St. side not the Ave side. It proved to be a good choice. It was quieter and the shade from the trees was perfect. Luca, one of the workers there greeted me and my guest with a nice compliment as soon as we walked up. The food came quickly and was correct. We weren't rushed and were tended to adequately. There's minimal WOW factor here but I would return to have that "one on one", "off the beaten path" intimate setting during lunch or brunch. It's within walking distance to many stores which is a plus.Special Features:
- RogerWVIPDined on 6/28/2014Despite a few service mis-steps this is a reliable neighborhood Italian. The staff is very accommodating and the kitchen very adequate. There is no "Wow" factor, but after all this is a bit off the beaten track. Nevertheless, you will not be disappointed!
- Loud trafficFrankVIPDined on 6/17/2014All the doors were open and the noise of the traffic, especially the buses, on Lexington Ave made our dinner unpleasant. Also, it was a hot night and the A/C was not effective with doors all open. Great food, go in winter!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2014I was disappointed that after making a reservation they placed us at a table directly next to the server station and kitchen...the restaurant was near empty also...so it is really unforgivingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 433 reviews are from the Per Lei reviews archive.
- Neighborhood GemLuv2eatVIPDined on 5/21/2014Very accomadating... Food was good service was good will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Took my mother for Mother's Day and we loved it. Delicious food, attentive service.Special Features:
- Never NOT delicious!nancizimVIPDined on 4/11/2014Per Lei just doesn't disappoint....ever! Since opening we have never had a bad meal...not even an average meal! Only suggest, although we noticed a few slight changes, how about a menu overhaul soon? Our favorite neighborhood spot and we take friends here from "downtown" as well!Special Features:
- Always Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/5/2014I have been here many times and I continue to come to Per Lei over and over again bringing a new groups each time. No, I do not work for the restaurant...Haha. The food is always good and the homemade pasta wonderful. The team there treat me wonderful and always make me feel welcome and remember my name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not crowded on a WednesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/26/2014Was not crowded on a Wednesday night 7 pm. Bronzino and tuna tartar were great. Wasn't car y about the apple tart. Offered prosceco and champagne which is nice as many will only offer one or the other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service. Easy diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2014We had phenomenal service. The food was delicious and wine was phenom. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok - not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We went on valentines night. Even though we had a reservation, the host was very overwhelmed by the number of people, and was seating walk-ins before people with reservations, almost in a first come fist serve basis - which nullifies the point of having a reservation. The food - was just ok. We both got the steak, which came with brocolli rabe and potatoes. I've had better.Special Features:
- Valentine DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Had dinner here on Valentine's Day, the food was great, the service was quick, onobtrusive, and attentive. The only downside was that the place was so popular, getting to and from our table was difficult and its was very loud, so conversation was difficult. Overall, it was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine local spotJaneVIPDined on 2/14/2014I had never eaten here, after walking by numerous times, so I made a reservation for Valentines Day, on a whim. It may have been a particularly busy evening, but there is nowhere for patrons to wait other than around the tables where people are eating, so that took points off of the ambiance. The food and service were fine. For a local restaurant, I want something that is either particularly good, or decent at a reasonable price. I thought this was overpriced for what it was, but that may have been Valentines Day special pricing which was not reflected as such on the menu. Not memorable. Overall, I'd say it's a good slightly overpriced local joint, with nothing notable about it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulHate2cookVIPDined on 12/28/2013Hadn't been in a while, but found the food and service as good as I remembered. Service is friendly and efficient. Food is very, very good and the ambience of the restaurant, lovely. I highly recommend. While the basic menu is great, with many choices and moderate by New York standards, specials can be a bit pricey, but of high quality and delicious. I had the Branzino and it was delicious, if a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Real Italian ambianceKellygirlDined on 12/7/2013What a darling restaurant! Open and light during the day, and sophisticated for the evening. Beautiful crowd, great food, lovely service. Outdoor dining during the spring is fun. Lurve the desserts !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good Service, Very LoudLarsDined on 12/6/2013The food was very good and everyone of us enjoyed it. The service was fine, not perfect but we never wanted for anything very long. The noise level was unacceptable to us. We asked on 4 separate occasions to please turn the music down so we could have a conversation instead of a shouting contest. One issue was one of the speakers to the music system was right over our heads. Other than that we liked the place and would probably visit again, just a different table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Half-Price Wine Night!Marq04VIPDined on 11/19/2013I had the Osso Bucco and ordered several sides of vegetables. Everything was excellent. My wife and I splurged on a very high-end bottle of wine since all wines over $50 are 50% off on Monday and Tuesday nights. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- generous portionslove3dineVIPDined on 11/8/2013A pretty place. The music was a little loud a first, but seemed toned down later. I had a pasta dish with mussels which was delicious and my husband had the striped bass. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday night pleasurebundlesVIPDined on 11/4/2013It was a quiet monday efening dinner but per lei hosted us graciously and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over-attentive & dishonestCamilleVIPDined on 10/30/2013I booked this restaurant after searching budget restaurants of $$ (under $30) at UES and found this one. However the entries of steak and the special bronzino fish are $36 and $38 . The worst thing is when the bill came, the fish became $40. But I didn't want to argue about the $2 in front of my friend from China, so I just paid it though shocked and uncomfortable. The waiters seemed nice, but over attentive. They kept on trying to take the plates away for several times when my friend was still working on it. t We felt very unwelcome, so we left quickly. I think opentable should investigate their menu and check out their price, and re-categorize them to the correct list. Definitely not $$.
- Nice inside and outCeliaVIPDined on 10/20/2013Nice intimate space like dining in a private event. Lights so dim that some of us had hard time reading the menu. Enjoyed the chocolate papardelle duck ragu and my husband liked his choice of veal ravioli. To my disappointment, the rucola salad had only traces of gorgongola cheese and no pistachios, as was described in the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westchester drive inmichael1812Dined on 9/21/2013First time here, Loved Baronda, so I wanted to give this a try. The food &, service were perfect. The lighting and music make the place complete. The place has a vibe. THIS PLACE IS ON TIME!! Loved it,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait for the 2nd avenueOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2013Can't wait for the 2nd avenue construction to be over so the outside space will have a prettier view.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceFrequentDinerDined on 9/7/2013This was the first time in my life I walked out of a restaurant!! There was no one at the restauatant and we waited a half an hour until someone came by. When they did, they couldn't even get orange juice and iced coffee correct! I was with two other friends and we were really disappointed and will not be returning there ever again. For the high prices they charge, their service was horrible!
- Very chicanacaro05Dined on 9/6/2013The food was very tasty; it is a cool place, very cool decorated; excellent service. I had a late dinner I don't know if that affected that it was a little bit empty. But definitely delicious food and very chic-romantic.Special Features:
- Great BrunchAudteyLVIPDined on 8/25/2013Enjoy the little outdoor space. Service friendly and prompt. Food tasty. Been there several times and will keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, attentive "Per Lei"saintmaeVIPDined on 8/2/2013Words cannot describe how wonderful the wine, the food and the music is as well as the wonderful servers. My friend and I were able to talk and never wanted for anything. The food was delectable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice quality Italian spotBeenThereAteThatDined on 7/26/2013Friendly service, good quality food. They have wine special on Mondays and Tuesdays for 1/2 off any bottle priced $50 or more.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Per LeiThegoodholeatbrunchDined on 7/21/2013The food for brunch was very good and the service was excellent and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was here for brunch. I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/21/2013I was here for brunch. I was excited to try this place and I wanted to like it so much for its location and outdoor seating but the food was bland. I had the frittata and my bf had the steak which was tiny. The place is beautiful, maybe I would come back for a drink but not for the food.Special Features:
- A great first impressionPsychDocDined on 7/19/2013Highly recommended. Great food and excellent service. Good portions as well. Will definitely be back for the duck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacks lusterMIXITDOCDined on 7/19/2013Food was OK, but somewhat over priced for the portions. Service was inattentive for the few customers that were dining there considering there were 10 servers on the floor talking and texting among themselves. service
- OK lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2013The tall glass door kept slamming shut! If I worked there that would be fixed in 5 minutes. Very distracting during lunch. The chicken my wife ordered was tough and a bit stringy. My pasta with Bolognese sauce was very good. We shared cheese cake for desert and it was excellent. The food was uninspired. It could have been better.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2013Highly recommend! The gluten free pasta is scrumptious...had to verify it was gluten free with the chef because it was so delicious and tasted like regular pasta. Chicken Milanese was fantastic and very fresh. Very friendly and attentive wait staff. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. Will certainly return and will definitely recommend to friends. Don't let the Second Ave construction stop you from eating at Per Lei!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was not good. StartedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2013Service was not good. Started off & then never saw server again, had to keep chasing down someone. Not the first time the service has been off.Special Features: