43 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.perdiemsf.com/
- Phone: 4159890300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Lighter Fare: Monday -Friday: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:15 pm - 9:30 pm
Dinner: Saturday: 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Per Diem
Per Diem’s menu is centered on the use of fresh ingredients and inventive flavor combinations paired with classic cooking techniques. Starters such as the Burrata on a Grilled Crostone with Marshall’s Farm Honey and Toasted Nuts or a San Francisco original, Cioppino with Mussels, Scallops, Prawns, Market Fish and Calamari make for a quick, light bite. Enjoy one of many delectable sandwiches such as the Croque-Madame, Leg of Lamb, or Open Faced Salmon Sandwich.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Per Diem reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (54)fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (17)good for groups (14)special occasion (13)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (11)hot spot (9)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Excellent! As always....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We like Per Diem, because it's very close to where I work. We headed over with friends for a early weekday dinner. Service was terrific. Their Roasted Chicken is delish! All 4 of enjoyed the evening. We will continue to return to Per Diem as often as we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local SpotDiner28Dined on 8/26/2014It's right near Bart and has a great ambiance--love all of the wood. Limited menu and food a bit inconsistent--some great dishes and others ok. Flatbread was excellent but swordfish just ok. I would go back because in the Financial District this is a find.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceLoisLaneDined on 8/21/2014The menu was great, something got everyone. Our food was delicious but the service was on the slow side. Had to skip dessert because we ran out of time.Special Features:
- old world ambiance in the FiDi3rdStoneVIPDined on 8/15/2014Per Diem offers a welcome change from other eateries in the Financial District. As you enter you'll encounter a lively bar scene on ground level. But upstairs a well appointed dining room awaits. The service was very attentive and friendly. The food was inventive, locally sourced, and plenty tasty. Take a date, stay out late, and enjoy.Special Features:
- SundaylunchDined on 8/15/2014We dined upstairs. The upstairs was beautiful, our waitress was awesome and gave us excellent suggestions on drinks and food. We would highly recommend this to friends for a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable Eveningjar321VIPDined on 8/9/2014Took my brother-in-law and his family there for his BDay. Food and service was very good. Very nice interior design to restaurant. Overall evening was a very nice surprise. Place was much nicer and a little more unique then i expected from financial district area place.Special Features:
- Per DiemstewieDined on 8/7/2014The location is great if you work in the financial district for dinner or a drink after work. As always, the food was good. We were, however, disappointed that a shrimp/past dish had been removed from the menu. I have been there several times and the service had been great. This was the first time I had eaten upstairs and the service just wasn't the same. You know the waiter has forgotten you when you make eye-contact and he/she have that "dang, I knew I forgot something" look on their face? That happened once too often this time. If you go, sit downstairs, enjoy the great drinks and have the special appetizer because it is different every week.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014The menu is small, but we ordered the beet salad, mussels, oysters, risotto, and cioppino. Everything was delicious. Our server was helpful and prompt. The drinks were inventive and tasty. Décor is boho vintage. Noise level was a bit high, but it's a lively spot for the after work crowd. We will definitely go back, often.Special Features:
- Every bite...DineDivaDined on 7/26/2014was fresh and flavorful. We shared dishes to experience the range of classic combinations with a few twists. This latter made the fireworks! Every subtle flavor was present and complemented with something new. It's such a find to have an atmosphere where we can hear our conversations, too. I'd been here during the day, when it's super crowded with the biz crowd. Was reluctant to return for the dinner scene, until the New Chef took....leadership! Yeah, it took that to stabilize. Now, it goes beyond to fascinate and appreciate. Get your booty down!Special Features:
- solid choice for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/22/2014Good food, ambiance, and service. Very friendly and accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/22/2014Ordered a chicken caesar salad and it was totally lame. We spent $35 for the two of us and had 2 salads and water to drink and it was less appealing than what I get from the soup company on a daily basis.
- Amazing food!FarmosisDined on 7/18/2014Per Diem came highly recommened to us from some colleages. We were running late and called ahead to let them know and the host (Nick I believe?) was very helpful in keeping our table reserved. Our server Lane was very sweet and she did a great job taking care of us. She gave us excellent recommendations and the roasted chicken was out of this world. Spinach ravioli was very tasty as well. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- DisappointedVHung08VIPDined on 7/17/2014I've heard so much about this place and there was clearly a wait for seating even though we had reservations, which I quickly realized was likely due to lack of service. My shrimp louie salad had an overabundance of shrimp shells and when I asked for hot water, it came in a tea cup with a lot of floating lint. I think the cups may have been sitting idly on a shelf for months, but at least clean them before serving with them! The server took forever to get us the check too. All in all I was disappointed and would have expected more based on all the great things I've heard. Don't think I'll be back though.
- Pricey but goodJustinDined on 7/16/2014Per Firm's drink list is great. The Manhattan Project is a unique & tastey asset. I had a mixed salad and the steak frites (special). The beef and aoli we very umami, which I love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, decent servicekelseymarieDined on 7/14/2014The oysters were fresh, the pasta was made from scratch, and the wine list was great! The service was pretty good, but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Attentive serviceChuckVIPDined on 7/8/2014Great staff; good food; definitely a restaurant where I'd returnSpecial Features:
- Great for meeting!steenDined on 6/24/2014I had a group meeting for 10 and Per Diem was great! The bottom bar area had a lot happening and had a good energetic atmosphere. Our table was upstairs and it was an intimate area and we had no trouble having our meeting while everything was going on downstairs. Plus the food was amazing. I really love risotto and their risotto was amazing. The service was great too. Food came out quickly, our waters were refilled often. Staff was fantastic. Street parking outside around 6pm was really easy and free. Its a little hard to drive to the restaurant, but thats a problem at pretty much all restaurants in the financial district so the easy parking right outside was a unique plus.Special Features:
- lunchwineanddineVIPDined on 6/18/2014The food here was great with very attentive service. The store front was a bit hard to spot if you were not familiar with the area. The signage was discreet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for dining, maybe for cocktailsnickipVIPDined on 6/14/2014Maybe this is a good place for grabbing a cocktail after work but the food was mediocre to terrible. We ordered the kale salad and Caesar salad to start. The Caesar was too mayo based and was just overpowering. The kale salad was much better. The risotto was extremely bland, lacked vegetables and was made with just regular white and wild rice, not the typical risotto aborio rice. The poutine was terrible...I love poutine normally but the oxtail pieces were mostly fatty skin, no actual meat and the gravy just wasn't that tasty. The Bolognese was good. For desserts, we ordered the pot de creme and lemon tart which were grainy in consistency, not smooth and velvety. The taste was ok. For the price and food experience, we wouldn't go back.
- EvezoDined on 6/10/2014The food was below average. The oysters were warm, the waiter was nice & offered to replace the oysters with something else.
- Do not waste your time and moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014We had 3 appetizers the buratta, bone marrow & pork belly; buratta was good, bone marrow was a little under cooked and had no seasoning (salt & pepper) but did have some very old tasting escargot, which did little for the dish and should not have been on the plate. The pork belly however was okay but was overly garnish with some kind of foam. My partner had a green salad which was good and I had the kale salad which was great. For the entrees my partner had the green garlic raviolis which was okay but again was overly garnished, with corn this time. I had the salmon with oxtail raviolis & white beans which where why under cook and the dish had an overall scent of being spoiled so I just ate the salmon which was over cooked and ravioli
- Worst Service - Not for groupsFoodIsLife18VIPDined on 5/23/2014I had made reservations a week ahead of time online, due to the large group. We had a reservation at 1:00; we were not seated until 1:40. He refused to split our checks (when I had asked him about it before anyone ordered and he said he probably could). When I asked him again after he said that if we wanted it split it would take him 45 minutes, even though it was not busy. He took an additional 30 minutes ringing up our bill and when I finally went to ask what was taking so long (twice), he explained that it was because HE forgot to add gratuity and was now trying to fix it. We were there for almost 3 hrs- and we were on our 1 hr lunch break. I am not going back, nor am I sending my boss back for lunch meetings (which I often did).Special Features:
- Always great!ChampagneOystersDined on 5/21/2014This is a fantastic neighborhood gem, I've always had amazing meals here (cioppino and bone marrow are a MUST). Highly recommend, definitely make a reservation as they have limited seating.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2014The Mussels and Per Diem Louie salad make a fantastic lunch anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic, delicious and practical.acc2014Dined on 5/12/2014What I like about Per Diem is that the ambiance is chic and refined, food is very good, while prices are not so expensive. It's one of the rare restaurantes around Market & 1st that offers such a great level of food and relatively quick service for welcoming business guests, for instance.Special Features:
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Loved the feel of this restaurant and the food was amazing! It took a bit for us to get served in the beginning and no one told us they would be with us - they just kept looking at our table and would walk by... but once we did get served our server was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary at bestFoodieBankerDined on 5/5/2014In attentive, indifferent service. Unexceptional food, with the exception of my chicken Caesar salad. Two wing pieces with bones and a dry chunk of white meat, 7 or eight small leaves of butter lettuce, three ( literally, three) croutons and a few shaves of cheese. $14. Those who had burgers on our group waited several minutes for condiments, which had to be requested. Coffee after lunch was $4/ cup and tiramisu had been frozen. I've worked and fined in the FiDi for 16 years, so this isn't some bumpkin's reaction. Mediocre food, bad service and high prices are not a winning combo.
- The following 379 reviews are from the Per Diem reviews archive.
- No wait on a Saturday NighthappytochowDined on 5/3/2014At the last minute, I chose this restaurant on a Saturday night for my husband and my two sons. It had plenty of availability and it looked cool on line and had decent Yelp reviews. We easily found parking and as we walked into Per Diem my 14 year old said "Mom, this is a bar!". We were taken upstairs and it had more of a restaurant setting, and what a pretty setting it is. We felt like we were in Boston at one of those old buildings. To our surprise, the food was good, the setting nice and the service fine. Overall, it was a nice dinner out on a Saturday night!Special Features:
- scooberDined on 5/2/2014Ok place, food decent but lackluster in this area. Small intimate feeling which is a plus. Not reco'd for dedicated foodiesSpecial Features:
- Two Words: Meatball GiganteHotmessDined on 5/1/2014I was staying in SF, in the financial district, the summer of '13 for ten days working on a production. I had a wonky appetite due to stress and travel and odd meals and hours. I went with two of my colleagues for a nice dinner and walked to Per Diem, partially because we joked that we were going to spend ours there but because the menu looked bomb. It was the most delicious food and drink I had all in SF and have had dreams of the Meatball Gigante. Memorial Day weekend '14 I was back up in SF staying at the Triton and went back to host an 8 person dinner with friends who live in the city and we were treated just as amazingly. None of the locals had known about it so I felt like I taught them a new taste of SF! I live in LA & miss Per Diem!Special Features:
- What's that smell?SanFranFoodieVIPDined on 4/30/2014Warm day in San Francisco - restaurant smelled like a cheap fish restaurant. Zero air conditioning with women fanning themselves and men rolling up sleeves. We left after a glass of wine and appetizers. Aroma downstairs was even stronger. Too bad, since the ambience was good and the menu looked interesting.Special Features:
- Great for a leisurely lunchfoodloverDined on 4/25/2014Leisurely lunch. Quiet and relaxed. Quality of food is very good. My Caesar salad was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocrePrinceOrloffVIPDined on 4/24/2014Nice decor and friendly, if not a bit ditsy, staff; but $45.00 for a bowl of mediocre pasta and two glasses of wine?
- Admin Day Lunch - Success!gmarienDined on 4/23/2014We brought a large group to Per Diem for Admin Day. Our group of 10 was seated immediately, which was great. My group loved the ambiance and the proximity of the restaurant to our office. Food was great! Our server, however, was lacking. He was difficult to hear, super scattered, and not very attentive. He forgot drinks and was super brisk to everyone in the group. When we asked about the specials/soup of yesterday, he was annoyed and said he'd tell us the specials when he took our food order, which makes no sense. People want to know the specials so that they can anticipate what to order. He was distracted and uninterested in our experience, which is disappointing considering we bought lunch for ten, which guarantees a gratuity of 20%Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing DinnerHappyVIPDined on 4/19/2014After so many encouraging recommendations, we tried Per Diem and were most disappointed. The server forgot to serve the appetizers and apologetically brought them out after the salads. The shrimp cocktail was not edible and had to be returned. The timing on the service was slow and out of pace. The wine was enjoyable and the company was perfect. This was probably just an off night for the restaurant but I would not invite my friend to find out.
- Good food but nothing greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2014The food was all pretty good, but nothing spectacular. A little overpriced for what it is I'd say. Ambience is nice. The mushroom, egg and pancetta pizza was definitely the best. Pasta wasn't noteworthy. Mussels and seafood were good. And they had a very interesting creamy, chicken lasagna that was pretty tasty (mostly for the cheese!) But I thought our waiter was very inattentive and really not the best. Though relatively nice it just bothered me at a place priced such as this.
- Would we return....LocaldinerDined on 4/12/2014....the answer is no. The Caesar Salad had thin onion rings instead of croutons - cutsey but didn't work for me - no parm to be seen. Wait staff did not ask for added pepper. No bread offered or served with dinner. Porcini Pappardelle was a very good dish but one our of four would not make us want to return. The special lasagne with garlic-mornay sauce and chicken was a disaster. Mornay sauce had no hint of garlic, chicken MIA and the sauce was a red color....not the white expected from a "mornay". When side of veggies is a highlight, except serving fingerling potatoes in the mix with lasagne - odd?, does not bode well for the offering.Too many places in SF to get fantastic meals - this is not one of them.
- What a great find!FoodieVIPDined on 4/12/2014Per Diem is surprisingly stunning inside, very old-England decor, mix of a library and sitting room decor, with beautiful chandeliers to set the tone. We were seated upstairs which was great. Service was very good, prompt but not intrusive. I had to try the burrata that I'd heard so many good things about; unfortunately it wasn't my cup of tea - cheese with sweet toppings is just too odd. The meatball gigante, cioppino and bucatini were all great though as was the wine which went down very easily. Will definitely come back here when they change their menu to try other things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but wierd for Sat. 6pm dinnerDmacDined on 4/12/2014I needed to do dinner on the early side (6pm/saturday).--the place was EMPTY. -- no one even at the bar. it just wasn't quite the vibe i'd hoped for. But the service, although slow at first given that we were the ONLY ones there, was good and very accommodating when i didn't like my wine choice. Burrata was yummy (with almonds/honey). Hubby had pork belly and bone marrow--2 things he'd never had before. Liked both but felt they needed salt. (which there was none of on the table). He also had a meat ball which he liked (I didn't). My lamb sugo (?) pasta was good, but i wouldn't go running back for it. net net, it was fine. but probably better for mid-week night after work.
- Great food2onHoneymoonDined on 4/9/2014Had a great meal. Very reasonably priced for the quality and quantity of food. Service was a little slow, but would not deter me from dining there again.